Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Battle for Wotje

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> The Battle for Wotje Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Battle for Wotje - 2/18/2008 10:28:26 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
The Battle for Wotje
November 3-13, 1942

After driving away and/or sinking all shipping within 600 miles of Wotje, the Japanese try to figure out a way to cripple the air units flying out of Wotje without taking prohibitive losses in the air. The decision is made to send in the heavy guns of the Imperial Fleet!

After about 10 days of stalemate, the Japanese strike Worje with a powerful bombardment led by 4 BB (Mutsu/Yamato/Ise/Hyuga), 2 CA, 4 CL, and 4 DD. No mines are hit and nothing disturbs the Japanese gunnery! A pyrotechnics display lights up the skies for hours and when the 8"-14"-16"-18.1" guns are finally silent, the Butcher's Bill amounts to: 4,958 Casualties, AF and Pt Damage, and 29 destroyed aircraft (12 F4F, 6 P-40, 2 P-38, and 9 SBD)!

Following this magnificent acheivement, the Japanese aerial forces are released to attack the AF and dogfight remaining Allied planes. The 13th sees over 230 Japanese fighters and 65 bombers smash the leftovers from the previous day's bombardment. For the cost of 6 Zero, 5 Tony, and 1 Betty the Americans lose 14 P-40, 9 F4F, 6 P-38, and 2 SBD. Allied airpower appears to be wiped out for the moment and the Japanese will now be unrelenting in punnishing this base with its 45,000+ troops!

Look below for the situation:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 2/18/2008 10:30:04 PM >

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 151
SE Australia - 2/18/2008 11:56:58 PM   
John 3rd

SE Australia continues to develop in scale and scope. The 3 Japanese Army's are engaged in a massive operation with the intent to encircle and trap all Australian units in the city of Brisbane.

Since encirclements haven't work too well in this campaign, the Japanese are not holding their breath in anticipation of this plan succeeding!

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 152
RE: SE Australia - 2/25/2008 5:18:48 PM   
John 3rd

I apologise for not doing any updates over the last week. Have been playing Mister Mom and with little-to-no chance of doing a thorough update on the war. Dan and I have been getting the turns done but I haven't had the chance to get caught up.

For the readers of both our AARs, I am sure that you know from Dan that he has launched a massive counter-attack in the CBI. His goal is to distract me away from Australia and Wotje. The timing and work he has done with this assault is masterful. The Japanese went over to panic mode about a week ago. Dan appears to be working on a massively scaled two-prong assault into southern Burma and Vietnam.

1. Vietnam--The last time I updated, my Recon had spotted a huge wave of troops moving from the aborted Nanning Offensive to the west. These troops have gathered to the east of Hanoi/Haiphong. At their height, there were 22 units sitting there. I rushed the 1st Guards Mixed Brig from Tokyo, 2 Art Regiments, a few small Con Btn, and airpower to Hanoi and Haiphong. This appears to have convinced Dan not to attack. There are only 17 units now in that hex instead of 22.

2. Burma--While rushing reinforcements to Vietnam (or should I say Indochina) the Allies in Burma launched an attack. As you know, I was very conservative with my Burma Campaign and took all the towns south of the Irrawaddy. There I dug in and started turning Magwe, Meiktila, Taung Gyi, and Rangoon into Fortesses. Dan tried to wrest aerial superiority from me but has failed dramatically. The Japanese CONTROL the air over this theatre and it is the only good news I have at the moment. The Allies have pushed the Japanese away from the river using blunt force:

Chronology:

Nov 24th The Chinese/British/Indian Army (22 Units! ) drive the Japanese from hex 34,30.

Nov 30th The Allied Army shifts to the west (through Mandalay) and drives the Japanese out of hex 33,30.

Dec 4th The Japanese (now behind Sz-7 Forts) easily beat off the first Allied Attack.

Situation Report:

I was in a near panic as I watched this masterful attack begin. The Japanese are in two large contrations within their Fortifications. There are 850 Assault Strength in Meiktila and 950 A.S. in Taung Gyi. Check the screen shot for exact units. Since I control the air, Dan is not able to beat down my Infantry and I have been hitting his.

I have pulled troops from wherever I can (within reason):

21st ID--The biggest commitment is to move the 21st Inf Div from Hanoi towards Rangoon. This is HIGHLY dangerous as it weakens my eastern strength. I do it because I think Dan has changed his mind and is moving Chinese troops into Burma instead of attacking Vietnam. I could REALLY use those 4 Vietnamese Divisions!

Two strong Nvl Guard and SNLF are moving by sea up the Malay Coast (A.S. 175)

The 4th Mixed Regiment that was badly beat-up by the Australians has left Adelaide.

Three Sentai (108) of Heavy Bombers are on the way to add to the aerial bombing strength of my Bombers.

Counter Moves:

OK. I am agressive RIGHT?!! Here we go with the counters.

1. Tactical Envelopement: The troops in Taung Gyi will not move west to help fight there. They will move due north and attack the 3 Chinese units in 34,30. If they are successful then they will wheel due west and cut off the Allied Army by grabbing 33,30. This should panic Dan fairly quickly. Making this move will require 10-14 days for the units to move up that trail.

2. Strategic Envelopment: There cannot be much of ANYTHING left in India...just a thought...but I do have 80% of the Imperial Fleet unemployed right now and troops that could be made available...hmmmmm...

Here is the screenshot.

What do you guys think????

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 153
RE: SE Australia - 2/25/2008 6:33:01 PM   
ny59giants

What LCUs do you have availalble?? 

Option #1
You will need enough to take Cox Bazaar/Chittagong and then move up to to Dacca and Rangpur/Dimapur. This will cut off his forces in Burma. He can move forces overland from Mandalay to Imphal in just over 30 days. The advantage is your LBA could play a significant role in this. You will need to move in recon aircraft to see what he has in most of those bases.

Option #2
The classic take Ceylon and then invade the mainland from there. This has been done enough that it doesn't need comments. He will probably have most bases with a high level of fort and using those Indian Bde that this mod has to garrison those bases.  I would start sending a lot of Glen carrying subs to India to start a recon effort.

Option #3
Now for what I would do in the John 3rd mode.    I would invade on the very west coast of India. Trivandrum, Mangalore, and/or Pangim would be my landing point. There is usually only a BF there and maybe one of those Indian Bde (assault value around 100). This area is usually the last of my list to be built up. I would send in just a brief recon using Emilys from Port Blair to search the bases, but focus most of your recon on the south coast of India (and option #1 area). Meanwhile, massive LBA would hit Burma and SE India to give an impression that something is going on here. My invasion TFs would hug the west map edge as much as possible and then make a dash to invade.

China
Something needs to be done here to get his attention away from Burma/India and slow down any potential transporting of troops out of here.

Good Luck!!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 154
RE: SE Australia - 2/25/2008 6:54:58 PM   
John 3rd

Hey Sir!

I have been inclined to go with option 2 but your 3rd option REALLY appeals to me!  It would have the advantage of strategic surprise.  Problem would be getting troops for the operation...

I have 21st ID coming up from Indochina.  I could--perhaps--buy another Infantry Division out of Japan or Manchuria.  Don't dare pull anything more out of China.  Do you think that a 2 1/2 Division landing would be enough to raise havoc in India?  I don't know this area well enough to make a calculated guess...

Recon is the answer and Port Blair is the place.

I am planning on making 2 attacks in China to try and divert his attention.  I'll post a screenshot and plans when I get a chance to do so. 

The problem is that I want to finish Australia (since I took Brisbane on Dec 5th) and Wotje.  Once that is done then I have troops available.  I will not be distracted from these objectives...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 155
RE: SE Australia - 2/25/2008 7:42:02 PM   
ny59giants

I think right now that you need to try to get a draw in Burma. Like you said, stay focused on Australia and Central Pacific. India can be invaded after Australia falls (maybe).

I thought you would like #3.  It's straigth out of the "John's Strategy Guide for JFB."    I would still send Glen subs to recon and use your long range LBA to recon these areas so Dan goes "WTF." As a counselor, I like psych warfare.

As a JFB, did you read the Honda/Raven AAR about the death of the Allied navy??  YIKES!!

Still looking forward to AE so we can actually play a game against each other more than 3 months.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 156
RE: SE Australia - 2/25/2008 8:03:56 PM   
John 3rd

I agree on all points above.  You are a devilish Counselor Sir! 

Just got a turn sent to Dan.  The shorter envelopment is a practical idea and I ordered my Recon to check everything out from Akyab to Calcutta area.  That should make Dan think a bit.  I have to transfer a pair of Emily Chutai to Port Blair for Recon of western India. 

Later today I will post about Australia and Wotje.  I plan for Wotje to be invaded about January 1, 1943 with overwhelming force.  Those American troops are getting pounded everyday and I really want to wear them out before landing.  This should be similar to when I took Pago-Pago from Mandrake in our campaign there.

I am about to commence the gathering of a KB Strike Force to move into the Indian Ocean.  There will be a total of 3 KB TF operating in the Pacific:

1.  I think I will concentrate Akagi, Kaga, Hiryu, Junyo, and Hiyo into a Strike Force for raiding. 
2.  This will still leave in the Marshall's Shokaku, Zuikaku, Soryu, and 2 CVL. 
3.  My 4 CVE and a 1 CVL will occupy the Eastern area of Australia.

I have 2 CVE about to be completed in Japan within the next 6 weeks.  They will reinforce the Aussie contingent.  CV Taiho won't be done too long after that!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 157
RE: SE Australia - 2/26/2008 5:24:51 AM   
USSAmerica

Wow, John, you are really moving along in this game!  I was going to suggest that you are a little bit off your rocker to consider an invasion of India at the same time you are fighting a ground war in Australia, then you mention on the side that you have already taken Brisbane! 

I can't keep up. 

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 158
RE: SE Australia - 2/26/2008 9:04:34 AM   
John 3rd

Hey Mike.

I didn't get a chance to do more updates today due to remodeling, the wife taking the day off, and two devilish boys racing around!  Bit of a busy day.  Still managed to get in 4 turns though and things continue to move forward.

My work hours are picking up so my turn playing is gonna slow down some.  This is too bad.  Dan and I have been averaging nearly a month of turns each week.  Cannot believe that January 1943 isn't too far away!  Should be there by the end of the week.

Still don't know if I can take Australia but things continue to move forward.  I will soon re-take Wotje and destroy two Marine Divisions in the process.  Burma is slightly terrifying but I am truly thinking on a 'left hook' ala Inchon to force Dan to pull back.  This is the only place in the entire map that I have real concerns.  Additionally, when a Japanese player doesn't play to win in China, it REALLY makes things different.  My opponent is trying to distract me and all I care about is keeping my cities and knocking him about some.

How will it all play out?  Tune in and see!  I know that I don't KNOW either...

BANZAI!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 159
The Marshalls - 2/27/2008 8:42:23 AM   
John 3rd

Since I am having trouble with getting the time to write full, Pacific-wide, reports, I have decided to tackle one hot spot at a time.  This report will deal with the planned recapture of Wotje in the Marshalls.

We have reached December 13, 1942 and the Marines as well as Army personnel on that atoll have been getting pounded for nearly a month.  Since I knocked down the airpower there with several powerful BB bombardments, I have shifted to air power to set-up for the invasion. 

Doing this has been tricky.  I have multiple threats to worry about and only so many aircraft.  These are the issues and responses:

1.  The seas are crawling with Allied SS!  I have dedicated 1 Daitai of Vals, 1 Daitai of Kates, and 1 Sentai of Army DB to 100% ASW at 1,000 Ft Range 2.  These planes have been quite successful in that 8 Allied SS have been hit by LBA over the last 2 weeks.  I've only sunk 1 but have forced a number to move away damaged.  There are 3 ASW TF about to enter the Marshalls and they SHOULD raise havoc with the American SS.  Each TF has 7 ships that center on 2-3 APDs with an ASW Attack score of 28-33.  We'll see what they can do.

2.  The AF must be kept crippled and out of use.  I have dedicated 72 Tony and all 3 Daitai of Kates from my heavy CVs at Kwajalein to hit the AF every day.  The Kates have done well bombing from 19,000 Ft.  Very few casualties and their experience is now approaching 90!  The AF stays at about 60-75% damaged.

3.  To facilitate a realistic landing without HUGE ground casualties, I need to seriously degrade the Allied troops there.  This task has fallen to 3 Daitai of Betty and 1 Sentai of Sally (116 Bombers) plus some Tony/Zero strafing.  These planes manage to average inflicting about 125-200 casualties with 3-5 Guns and a few vehicles destroyed each day.

4.  While all this is happening, I still have to be worried about a desparate Allied attempt to save those troops and/or land reinforcements.  For this possiblity I have kept 2 Daitai of Betty and Zero ready to attack.  I figure those 108 planes should stand a decent chance of crippling his 2 remaining CVs as well as any CVEs that have joined the fleet to this point.

Thus, my planes have 4 missions and I have got the fields at Kwajalein and Maleolap at full capacity with Eniwetok in support.  Luckily I can add the Fleet dimension as well.

There are 3 CV (Hiryu, Shokaku, Zuikaku), 2 CVL, 2 BB (Yamato and Mutsu) and 9 CA/CL based out of Kwajalein.  The CVs have been providing the Kates to hit Wotje and the BBs periodically hit island with a bombardment.  American SS have been a pain in that Yamato took a TT and is moderately damaged (Sys-29) but still being used. 

The Invasion Forces:
I have been gathering the forces to take back the island.  As of December 12th, the last unit arrived and the invasion can be launched at any time.  These are the forces I have for the attack:  18th Army HQ (Hara Kumakichi), 22nd Inf Div, 6th Ind Brig, 35th Brig, 2nd Mix Brig, 23rd Mix Brig, 13th Ind Brig, and a pair of Artillery units (1 Mortar and the other Heavy).  These forces yield a combined AS of about 1,550.  I would imagine that should be plenty for the job.  Unit preparedness is somewhere between 25-55 at the moment. 

The Plan:
I think that the troops shall land on Christmas Day.  It is EVIL to do so but hey--I am the Japanese!    Prior to the landing, I will continue to hit the island with everything I have got.  There will be BB Bombardments every 3 days and I will shift all my aircraft over to ground attack starting the 22nd.  After that...

Outcome:
It is my profound hope to buy time in the Central Pacific by crushing the 1st and 2nd Marine Divisions!  There are 7 other units there and the mass surrender of 45,000 American troops would make for a massive victory.  With his crippling carrier losses, perhaps I could buy myself time to May or June before the Americans try another Amphib Assault.

This is the hope at least...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 160
The Endgame for Australia - 2/27/2008 9:28:01 AM   
John 3rd

The screenshot below is VERY busy! Sorry if it is hard to follow but things are beginning to clear up in Australia.

Chronology:
Brisbane Falls on December 5th
Geelong Falls on December 13th

Dan was able to evacuate Brisbane and so I have not paused from taking the city. My troops immediately headed towards Rockhampton to close with Sydney and keep Dan's eyes focused on that threat.

A fairly large Aussie Army (9 Units) sits at the Crossroads hex of 37,122 trading bombardments with my large force of the 14th Army. I have not tried to do much here other then bombard so I keep him fixed in this location. Dan--apparently--doesn't realize that I have 5 units coming down the northern road from Brisbane. My HOPE is to cut him off from Sydney and take out these troops. None of my other encirclement plans have worked so I doubt if this will. It will be tried however...

While Dan saw my attacks at Brisbane and in the Center I made it look like all my troops had transfered away from Melbourne. I waited about 10 days and sent the 25th Army down the road from Adelaide to Melbourne and then side-stepped to Geelong and grabbed it with ease on the 13th. As soon as my Aviation Regiment gets there, that Size 5 AF will be stocked for short attacks against the city.

To prevent reinforcement by sea from New Zealand, my CVs have put back to sea from Noumea after running out of fuel. I diverted a convoy of Tankers from the Rabaul area to Kwajalein and it REALLY messed with my fuel status. My CVs had to leave the gap between Australia and NZ open for about 10 days. It will be closed again by the 15th...

Notes:
1. Aerial Combat--I wrested control of the air from Dan at Melbourne after a furious 3 days battle from 10th-12th. During those days, I lost 22 Fighters (Mainly Tony) and 44 Bombers (mainly Sally/Helen) while Dan lost 51 Fighters and 23 Bombers. My Fighters did well in taking nearly 2-1 but my Bombers got clocked by AA fire. After a few more days, I will be rotating out a few units and bringing some fresh Daitai and Sentai to help my Sea Eagles.

2. I want to clean-up the smaller towns left--Canberra, Newcastle, and Albury--and then close with either Sydney or Melbourne. If I can severely damage those troops at the Crossroads hex then I will probably go after Sydney first. We'll see...

3. No more troops are coming to Australia. This is it. I fight with what is present. Still think I have about a 50-50 shot of doing this. My Inf Div are all at 80-90% strength and I have alot of artillery and engineers.

Does anyone have any advice for taking a large urban hex?

It is now time to find out if I can do this or not.

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 161
Burma - 2/27/2008 9:44:38 AM   
John 3rd

Since I have gotten Wotje and Australia updated I might as well touch on Burma.

Dan has massed a HUGE army together to beseige Meiktila.  He have 28 units of Chinese, Indian, and British nationality present.  The combined AS is nearly 4,500!  YIKES...    I am scared to death at what this massive stack could do.

At first I thought my 1,000 AS (an Inf Div, 2 Brig, 2 Hv Art, and 4 support units) didn't have a chance; however, I control the skies over the battlefield and now have 300 Lily, Sally, and Helen hitting the troops as often as possible.  The first attack (AS 3,800) came on Dec 8th and got a 0-1 result with Forts at 7.  The next attack was a Shock Attack (AS 4,500) that yielded a 1-1 on the 12th.  Where are all these troops coming from I asked myself??  Simple all of India and China...  Panic sets in with the Japanese HQ after this attack.  Dan doesn't rest and tried for a Deliberate Attack on the 13th.  Thankfully it nets a 0-1.  All my engineers might be able to raise the Forts back to 7 before the next attack.  This should provide my bombers 2-3 days to work on his troops.

My first reinforcements are arriving at Rangoon.  There are two groupings:

1.  I have 6 small Inf Units of SNLF or Nvl Guard type coming in.  They have AS of 50-110 pending on the unit.  They will be fed into the Meiktila line ASAP.  Put together there should be 300-375 AS between them.  It might hold the line...

2.  My main reinforcements are 21st Inf Div from Hanoi and the 3rd Element of an Inf Div I had at Hong Kong.  Both are full strength at 425 and 175 respectively.  IF Meiktila can hold, I will send them up to Magwe and then SE to cut in behind the Allied juggernaut.  There are only 2 units in that hex between Mandalay and Meiktila. 

My troops at Taung Gyi are moving north into hex 34,30 where Dan has 5 units sitting there.  I will try to Shock Attack them out of that hex and try to threaten dan's rear from the that side also.  problem is that they are taking FOREVER to move up those trails...

The supply situation is excellent and I have to hope that the Allied supply isn't too good. 

Here is the only place in the entire Pacific that I do not feel in total control at the moment!

In a quick Edit to my initial report, I forgot to mention that one of my I-Boats found some very large game near Ceylon. I-153 hit BB Revenge with a TT and got a secondary explosion on the 13th! Of course the British DDs were not too happy and they pounded the I-Boat but she might still make it back to Rangoon.

Additionally, a powerful CV TF is preparing to leave Japan and head for the Indian Ocean. Freshly upgraded and ready for trouble are Akagi, Kaga, and Hiryu. They will have with them 3 Kongo-Class BC and normal escorts. Figure I have the rest of December and most of January to cause trouble before they need to head back to Kwajalein and join their sisters to deal with the new American CVs coming in at that point.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 2/27/2008 9:48:14 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 162
RE: Burma - 2/27/2008 11:52:17 AM   
ny59giants

When it comes to reducing an urban base, I would look through the "Must Read Threads" to find what your looking for. I would go for Sydney first since you have 3 bases close by to use to train your LBA. As soon as the Marshalls are recaptured, send as many BB/CA down here to start bombardment runs.

In Burma, you may need to think about Plan B - bring in more troops.   I don't know if you have enough.
I would start a ground bombing campaign against Mandalay. Why?? He must have SE Asia Command HQ there to suck up supplies for his troops. It should be the top LCU in that stack and repeated attacks should disable most of those squads and slow down his supply flow.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 163
RE: Burma - 2/27/2008 11:50:49 PM   
USSAmerica

I agree about supply being the key factor in Burma.  All of the massive supply needed to feed that huge stack has to come from India by air, or across several trail hexes.  Even with a command HQ drawing supply to the area, he will be burning it at a furious rate.  I think you have a great chance of defeating his offensive since you control the air.  Once your CV's are in the Indian Ocean, you should be able to prevent any and all amphibious attempts on the coastline.  Starve that massive troop stack, and then try to cut them off and let them die in the jungle.  As strange as it sounds, especially in December of 1942, time is on the side of the Japanese player in this case. 

The same thing goes for reducing Sydney, and eventually Melbourne.  With your great victory in the Central Pacific you have bought yourself 3-6 more months of time to use your BB's and CV's against Oz.  You have captured well defended urban hexes many times in the past.  Just think of it as Manila, with a little bigger supply stockpile.  I would also try to get some troops onto the road between Sydney and Melbourne to cut the supply line between them.  If you have a HR preventing a landing in non-base hexes, you can drop some paras onto it, and then, after you take Canberra, march a few units overland from that city to the coast road.  You sure don't want to clear out one rats nest, only to have the retreating forces run down the road into the other city. 

Mike

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 164
RE: Burma - 2/28/2008 5:44:20 PM   
John 3rd

Thanks for the advice guys.  I have made three formal strategic decisions regarding immediate operations:

1.  Sydney FIRST in Australia.  My far stronger forces are there and there are 2 major AF where I can fly bombers to attack the forces within:  Newcastle and Canberra.

2.  It looks like my forces will be able to hold in Meiktila.  Those smaller Infantry units I mentioned earlier are beginning to filter into the defenses.  I have a Japanese Combat Command (1 Brigade), a full-strength Infantry Division, and a Tank Regiment about to land in Rangoon.  They will march to Magwe and TRY to knife in and cut his supply lines.

3.  The Invasion of Wotje is definately set for Christmas Day.  I will start loading on the 21st, ship out on the 23rd, and land on the 25th.  We'll see what shape his troops are in...

Got to go to work!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 165
Combat Report: Dec 14-21, 1942 - 3/1/2008 9:22:25 AM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
December 14-23, 1942

The war's focus continues to be in the Marshall's, SE Australia, and Burma.  Heavy aerial combat, massed ground assaults, and merhcant ships sinking left-and-right mark this week of fighting.  That combat is nothing compared to the upcoming week of action!

The Status of the Kido Butai
In a change of pace, I think I will cover the current state of my Carrier Force and their current deployment as well as building plan.  As you know, I like to spread the Japanese CVs around in several TF and since I have smashed the American CVs--for the moment--I am freely using them wherever I can.

KB-1  Yamaguchi  
CarDiv3  Shokaku/Zuikaku
CarDiv2  Soryu
CarDiv4  CVLs Shoho/Ryujo
285 Planes--Zeros are in their 70s, DB and TB in their 80s.

This carrier TF is based out of Kwajalein.  The ships have very little Sys Damage since they have been disbanded in port with 4 AR there.  I have been using their planes to fly escort and strike at the Marines on Wotje.  These CVs are my initial deterrent force with the US Pacific Fleet.  Once Wotje is gone, they may go raiding...

KB-2  Nagumo
CarDiv1  Akagi/Kaga
CarDiv2  Hiryu
CarDiv5  Ryuho
237 Planes in excellent condition.  All Daitai in the 70s and 80s for training.  The Kaga Kate Daitai is at 91!

These CVs have finished or are finishing their upgrades and/or damage repair.  CarDiv1 is already headed for Singapore and the other two carriers shall depart Home Waters in 3-4 Days.  Once they combine at Singapore, they will go on a deep strike to the west side of India for a little bit of hunting.

KB-3  Nabeta
CarDiv6  Junyo/Hiyo
CarDiv5  CVL Zuiho
CarDiv7  CVE Unyo/Taiyo/Chuyo
223 Planes that are not near as experienced as the other KB TF.  Scores sit in the mid-to-high 60s for the most part.  Since they are currently sinking a bunch of Aussie ships fleeing Melbourne, their scores are coming up.

These CVs are the blocking force between SE Australia and New Zealand. 

Current CV Strength:  8 CV, 4 CVL, 4 CVE--745 Aircraft.

New Construction Timeline:
Feb 1, 1943  2 CVE with 54 Planes
Feb 15, 1943  CV Taiho with an armored deck and 72 planes
May 1, 1943  CVs Unryu/Amagi with 65 planes each
June 1, 1943  CVLs Chitose/Chiyoda with 30 planes each

By June 1st, I will have 3 CV, 2 CVL, and 2 CVE added to the Fleet flying 316 new aircraft.

The Americans currently have only 2 CV left for the moment--Saratoga and Yorktown--with the new Essex and CVLs starting to enter service in January.  Barring any losses between now and then, the Kido Butai shall be an equal to the American Fleet at least through 1943.  I plan to reorganize the KB into its final disposition starting in February 1943. 

NOW--On to the areas of combat:

The Marshalls
There are numerous Japanese airstrikes hitting the Americans on Wotje each day.  The average loss for the Americans is about 200 Cas, 3-7 Guns, and 1-2 Vehicles every day.  I have a strong STF that is bombarding the atoll regularly consisting of BB Mutsu, 8 CA, 5 CL, and 7 DD.

Dan snuck in two 6 boat PT Squadrons somehow and I have spent the last several turns (Dec 18-21) sinking all 12 of them.  I HATE PTs!  They do put a TT into 1 DD and sink a couple of MSW but that is it.

My LBA has been hitting the numerous American SS at an average of 1 every 3 days. While annoying, these SS haven't raised TOO much trouble (yet). When January 1st comes along and the American TT actually work, I will become more concerned.

I began loading the Wotje Invasion Force on the 20th and finished on the 21st.  They shall set sail on the 22nd and land on the 25th.  It is a massive invasion force consisting of a 100 ship TF and a 25 ship TF carrying a total of 87,000 troops and 40,000 supply.  Barring a terrible landing roll...this force should easily destroy what the Americans have there.  I will use my STF to Bombard the atoll every day from the 21st until Christmas day.  I've shifted all aircraft over the ground attack starting on the 22nd.

Australia
I've decided that encirclements are impossible with this game.  an has pulled back his units from the Crossroads NW of Sydney.  One Japanese Army will be taking Newcastle within the next few days and the another Army is moving on Canberra.  I took Albury by Parachute Assault on the 14th and have cut the Sydney--Melbourne connection.  I will post a simple screenshot to shot what it looks like.

After I wrested control of the skies over Melbourne, Dan ordered a portion of the 90+ ships in that harbor to flee towards NZ.  Some ships have made it but the majority are running a foul of my CVs moving back down from Noumea.  Those CVs had been hung-up there for nearly 10 days while I waited on fuel to arrive.  It has and they go into action starting the 19th.  Numerous Allied AK/MSW/TK are getting hit and going down due to my CVs and SS near New Zealand.

Burma
Hmmm...curiouser and curiouser...

There are nearly 200,000 troops beseiging Meiktila, Burma.  My force holding it had about 1,000 AS and Forts at 6.  I hold the air over the city so Dan cannot hurt my units while I can maul his.  As you have read, small units have been arriving and filtering into the line holding the city.  AS has climbed to 1,330 and my Forts are back up at 7!  We bombard each other every day and Dan has done Shock Attacks on the 16th and 21st.  Each attack cost him between 4,400-5,400 troops.  Barring a crisis, I think my troops can hold here...

Magwe, Burma  This base is my northernmost outpost in Burma.  Strangely Dan hadn't tried to wrest it from me.  It has 6 units in it but 4 of them are Construction Btn with AS of 5 each!  I've moved an SNLF into the base and since it has Forts at 9, I feel very comfortable.

My Combat Command from Hong Kong is unloaded and I am sending it to Magwe for a possible move into the hex between Mandalay and Meiktila.  An entire Inf Div will arrive at Rangoon in about 7 days.

My forces at Taung Gyi (nearly 1,200 AS) are moving back into the hex to the north of that base (34,30).  There are only 2 Chinese units sitting there.  I will Shock Attack with 2 Inf Div and regain the hex.  Those units will then cut the line of retreat by entering the hex I was describing above.  We'll see if it works.  If I force Dan to retreat then I will have averted a major crisis. 

Aerial combat has been pretty tough over this theatre.  My Tony and Zero groups have been smashing 4EB and 2EB units every few days.  I have been taking losses but they are pretty mild for the level of combat currently going on.

I'll post this and then add screenshots of Australia and Burma.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 3/7/2008 2:07:15 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 166
RE: Combat Report: Dec 14-21, 1942 - 3/1/2008 9:30:00 AM   
John 3rd

Australia hangs by an Allied Thread...

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 167
RE: Combat Report: Dec 14-21, 1942 - 3/1/2008 9:34:20 AM   
John 3rd

Allied Shipping getting clobbered between Melbourne and NZ!

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 168
RE: Combat Report: Dec 14-21, 1942 - 3/1/2008 9:45:13 AM   
John 3rd

Cannot believe that I forgot to mention the activity of the Royal Navy! On the 13th, I-153 put a TT into the Brit BB Revenge. THinking that something might be amiss, I moved two Kate Chutai from training in the Philippines (they are to go on my new CVEs coming out) to Port Blair.

This gave Port Blair 36 Lily, 18 Kate (Exp 82 and 90), 9 Emily, and 36 Zero.

I spotted a TF on the 20th to the north of the Island. On the 21st, My 18 Kate flew a strike in the afternoon and found BB Prince of Wales! Executing a near perfect Hammer-and-anvil attack, FIVE TT slam into the battleship--Three on the Port and 2 on the Starboard sides. At a cost of 4 Kate, the Prince of Wales was left in a sinking condition.

To set up the finish, I move 2 Daitai of Betty from Singapore to Rangoon and set them to Naval Attack for the 22nd.

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 169
RE: Combat Report: Dec 14-21, 1942 - 3/1/2008 8:57:31 PM   
USSAmerica

John, where do you think Dan was trying to go with his BB's in the IO?  Rangoon?  You own the air in the region.  Do you think he may have been hoping for bad weather to cover his attempt at a bombardment, or could they be screening an amphib invasion attempt?  Either way, it would take a lot of bad weather days in a row to hide his ships from your long range recon. 

Mike

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 170
RE: Combat Report: Dec 14-21, 1942 - 3/2/2008 7:23:58 AM   
John 3rd

I think he is trying to distract me in any manner possible right now.  Perhaps an invasion of Port Blair is a possiblity but I own the air.  If he is willing to risk those Brit CVs, then I will welcome that.  This is especially true when Akagi/Kaga arrive in Singapore within the next 4-5 days.

To cover things with a stronger force, I will be sending Hiryu and Ryuho to join CARDIV1 asap.  They still have a few Sys Damage points to repair after upgrade but it can wait.

What Dan really needs to do is accept the Bunker Mentality for the next 8-10 weeks and allow things to develop and/or stabilize and then start planning...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 171
The Screenshot Shows it ALL! - 3/4/2008 1:30:41 AM   
John 3rd

Look at this...

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 172
Thoughts - 3/4/2008 1:58:36 AM   
John 3rd

Dan was upset at what I named the last posting as.  He feels like he has played a terrible game and I keep telling him that he hasn't.  I have never seen the luck side so strongly with the Japanese in any campaign I have ever played.

Maybe I should stop the campaign due to how he feels?  What do you guys think of that?

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 173
RE: Thoughts - 3/4/2008 2:34:04 AM   
bradfordkay

I know how a defender can start to feel shellshocked in this game. Sometimes it seems that no matter what you do, your opponent has more and better aircraft, pilots, ships, troops... you get the picture. You've certainly taken him behind the woodshed in this one. It's hard to blame him for being discouraged...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 174
RE: Thoughts - 3/4/2008 2:57:03 AM   
John 3rd

I thoroughly agree.  In my longterm game I am in January 1945 and live in fear of the American forces! 

He thinks I am being arrogant--as a highly capable Japanese player--and that he has played an inept game.  Nothing can be farther from the truth.  He has played very well and displayed some brilliant thinking!  I almost flew off the handle when I got his last note but then told him what I felt.

The reality is that I have never seen a more lucky set of events in any campaign I have ever played.  EVERY time the ball has bounced, it has bounced Japan's way!  Absolutely amazing.  It feels like I can do no wrong.  I KNOW this isn't the truth but EVERY roll, seemingly, has been massively in my favor.  This situation is nearly the opposite of what I have seen in Mandrake and I's Campaign. 

Naturally this has Dan down in the dumps and quite touchy.  I am not sure what to do...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 175
RE: Thoughts - 3/4/2008 4:04:27 AM   
bradfordkay

If you enjoy having him as an opponent, you might offer a new game at whatever point he wishes to restart - while pleading to continue this one "just a little longer.."

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 176
RE: Thoughts - 3/4/2008 5:21:24 AM   
ny59giants

Its hard to play the Allied side if you have suffered setbacks like losing your CVs early in the war. Even if you don't use them aggressively, the idea of just having them changes strategy. This is a historical simulation of war that went often the way of the Americans, IRL. Midway has happend to the Americans twice in this game. Some of the game mechanics "seem" to favor the Japanese, especially production. If he could accelerate his CV production, I bet he would have a few on the fast track.

Dan is dealing with a lot of things that he has no control over. The farther back any potential counteroffensive that really has a chance of success, the more difficult it is to remain patient. He has Burma as his only positive action and he is on hold with almost all his American forces as he doesn't have the CV strength to attack anywhere outside of LBA support.

He's in a tough spot and it may not get any easier until late '43, if then.

We both known that if this game was played using the shipping channels found on RHS, it would have been a lot different. He could have sent massive reinforcements to Australia and you may have not attacked there as aggressively knowing he had a way to get troops and supplies there. AE will change a lot of how this game is played just with shipping channels, let alone everything else.

< Message edited by ny59giants -- 3/4/2008 5:28:21 AM >

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 177
RE: Thoughts - 3/4/2008 6:22:09 AM   
John 3rd

Thanks Guys.  I am going to write him and see what he has to say.  He can read my AAR without an issue.  I don't THINK it sounds arrogant.  The game isn't worth causing personal issues.  Everything has gone my direction and his has been very rough to play but I--too--REALLY want to see if Japan can take Australia as late as early-1943.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 178
RE: Thoughts - 3/5/2008 4:43:13 PM   
John 3rd

OK.  Dan and I chatted yesterday and this morning.  All I have to say is...

GAME ON!

BANZAI!  BANZAI!!  BANZAI!!!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 179
RE: Thoughts - 3/5/2008 5:21:26 PM   
USSAmerica

Good news. 

Mike

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> The Battle for Wotje Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI