Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: As my house rule in the game against GH

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: As my house rule in the game against GH Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 1/11/2008 7:16:05 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: trollelite

Obviously no one dares to come out accept this challenge even the HR is supposed to so HORRIBLY enhance the chance of Japanese side... A pity. Hope you could prove your claim by action, not by your tongue. Until now you only prove how right I am, because no one want to leave the protection of those superior allies hardware.

As I've stated many times before, my interest is in history, not fantasy. If you enjoy a-historical non-sense, by all means pursue it. But don't blame me if I want no part of it from either side...

(in reply to trollelite)
Post #: 31
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 1/11/2008 7:55:12 PM   
castor troy

quote:

Obviously no one dares to come out accept this challenge even the HR is supposed to so HORRIBLY enhance the chance of Japanese side... A pity. Hope you could prove your claim by action, not by your tongue.

Until now you only prove how right I am, because no one want to leave the protection of those superior allies hardware.

damn, I used the green button but I couldn´t keep it red... not your house rules keep people from playing you, it´s mostly about your arrogance and the thing about "I kill all those Allied weaklings" stuff... that´s plain s***y...

I will press the green button tomorrow again... After having a beer I can´t resist to read the stuff you write... You´ve joined the forum nearly 2 years ago, I wonder why you didn´t start creating such threads before? It´s been a real laughter so far!

(in reply to trollelite)
Post #: 32
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 1/11/2008 8:31:43 PM   
Knavey

You missed some GOOD fried turkey last night Feinder.  That turkey was 21 lbs.  My frier almost did not hold it.  Had to cook it for 55 minutes but it was one of the best ones I have made.  Jon was talking about bringing some over to you since we had a little leftover.

Sorry about the hijack.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 33
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 1/11/2008 8:48:43 PM   
okami

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

Sounds to me like somebody didn't get enough attention as a child.

Pity.
-F-

Who said he was an adult?

"Square peg, round hole? No problem. Malet please.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 34
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 1/20/2008 5:46:28 PM   
Nemo121

Hmm, well I think I might have a somewhat useful and "different" viewpoint on this whole thing. I can see things from Trollelite's point of view and also can see a lot of validity in what many of the more long-term forum members have to say. So, FWIW, here's my take...

1. Trollelite's first language isn't English and obviously he isn't fluent in English ( although he speaks it well enough to be broadly understood ). As someone who acquired English as a third language I can certainly understand how difficult it can be to make oneself understood in a non-native language. E.g. one use the word "insult" to mean "difficulty" or "challenge" and suddenly instead of saying someone's disagreeing with you you've inadvertently called them out onto the floor for a fight

2. When I joined up I couldn't understand this whole rush to limit what was possible within the game. It seemed the antithesis of strategy to me. You would never have seen a Rommel in North Africa if the Germans had listened to what the British thought was and wasn't possible. That was my viewpoint but as I've played I've realised that SOME curbs on what is and isn't possible really ARE in the best interests of having an enjoyable game.

3. People approach WiTP from all sorts of different viewpoints. Some know the names of the pilots in VF-42 on march22nd 1943, others didn't even know there was such a thing as an Unryu class of carrier in the IJN. Some care for the accuracy of location names, others couldn't care if everything on the map was given a numeric code so long as the A2A combat model avoided uebercap.

4. I have first-hand experience of how two fundamentally decent players can end up having a HUGE bust-up because they disagree over the historicity of something. E.g. My first serious PBEM ended because my opponent teleported fixed fortifications from CONUSA into Karachi. I felt it went against a house rule, he didn't. Neither of us were cheating or trying to gain what we felt was an unfair advantage but we had different views of what we'd agreed to at game start and that doomed the game. I then played against AndyMac and Aztez and basically my view that from December 7th 1941 onward anything I had the fuel and supplies to do was fair game wasn't compatible with their view of how the game could develop. I'm fortunate now in having found an opponent with whom I see eye to eye and we've had a couple of fun games so far... Immensely bloody, completely ahistorical BUT games we've enjoyed --- which is the main thing of importance in all of this.

Do I think Trollelite's House Rules are thoroughly balanced? No, I think they really favour the Japanese to an excessive extent. Do I think that he would be willing to play a game as Allies using those self-same House Rules? Yes, and that's important, really important given the unbalanced nature of the house rules.

Are he and Hoepner enjoying their game? It seems so. Do I think that won't always be the case? Yes, at least in part because of those House Rules. Do I really, really think trollelite needs to look at how he expresses himself and avoid some of the, perhaps inadvertently, insulting things he has said in his previous posts? Yes.

Still, two consenting adults agreed to these House Rules and are choosing to play a game according to them. If they had consented to take whips and chains to eachother then so long as they knew what they were getting into I'd let them get on with it in private. This is ONLY a computer game, don't you think we should accord them the same courtesy. I wouldn't play these HRs as I prefer to adopt a more "anything goes" attitude which gives BOTH sides more leeway than they historically possessed. Is my preference more valid than Trollelite's? No. Is it more valid than someone who limits things to just what historically happened? No. Finding an opponent in WiTP is like finding a good marriage. You might know you'd end up killing your best mate's wife if you'd married her BUT she might be the right woman for him

e.g. Mike Scholl and I would NEVER enjoy a game against eachother. He likes the historical pace etc too much and I'm more of a "Well, if the range is 3,000 miles then I'm going to attack something 3,000 miles away even if this was NEVER done" . Notwithstanding this I have a lot of respect for him as a player AND someone who has thought about a lot of the issues and offers interesting opinions ( even if I often disagree :) ). This is, evidently, my way of saying just because we disagree with another forum member and would not enjoy playing them doesn't mean we should demonise them.

P.s. Trollelite - just so we're clear. I wouldn't play those HRs as either Allies or Japanese as I don't enjoy a game where I have to manage so many HRs and where I would feel my opponent or I were being hamstrung from what we COULD do by some deus ex machina. That I don't like the HRs or the frustration they would engender in me from playing a game abiding by them means no more than that. I'm quite willing to bet that most other forum members who have declined to play you have declined for much the same reason. This doesn't make them weak or the antithesis of warriors etc. You really should refrain from calling them names lest you raise the ire of those less constrained to be as polite and restrained as many of them have been.

< Message edited by Nemo121 -- 1/20/2008 5:48:56 PM >

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 35
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 1/20/2008 6:37:46 PM   
mogami

Hi, I find it rather amusing that a "True Warrior" wants to increase his strength rather then reduce it.

The way to avoid the "slaughter" that occured after 1944 is to win the war prior to then.
However the Japanese player must win the war without resorting to tricks of game mechanics.

Japanese victory means the Allied player never gets within long range bombers, maintains communication with resource areas (continues to produce supply and fuel)

Japanese victory is not planting the Rsing Sun from India to San Francisco.

The Japanese player does not need to spend hundreds of hours trying to figure out how to capture every base on the map but rather how to sustain the forces required to build and maintain certain airfields and repair /refueling ports, how to maintain frontline airgroups, and keep a viable carrier force in existance long enough to slow down the Allied advance past the end point.

As Japan your mission is to never surrender. Anything you modifiy to permit greater Japanese expansion diminishs the skill required from Japanese player.

Instead A true Japanese Warrior will
1. Never attack Soviets
2. Never launch offensive in China except in response to Chinese action.
3. Never move any surface asset within 10 hexes of Allied map edge
4. Always pay PP when changing HQ (Many units can redeploy to new locations on map without changing HQ. To avoid this exploit you change unit to nearest HQ of new location.)
5. Do not teleport on turn 1.
6. Never move beyond land based air and if land based air cannot be used then carrier air is provided and target base will provide landbased air for future operations.
7. Does not attempt to optimize production (it is ok to build small factories to size 10 or 12 but does not attempt major expansion) The war is not about attempting to out build the USA but rather is simply about providing resource and oil and heavy industry to continue production of supply as long as possible.

Japan surrenders when
1. No longer producing supply in Home Islands
2. Enemy long range bombers have base inside normal range (B-29 range needs to be adjusted in last version I played)
3. Allies have at least a 2-1 ratio in VP

These are basicly the house rules I use in every game. Except for China/Soviet. My lunacy games allowed Japan to remove units from Machuria/China (after paying PP)(To permit use in other theatres)And Japan was allowed to attempt to subdue China/Soviets. I considered the Allied player to be the lunatic for allowing it. (Somehow it got confused that Japan was attempting some lunatic plan)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 36
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 1/20/2008 7:18:53 PM   
Nemo121

Mogami, what's posted above is just YOUR opinion, Don't forget that others differ but are just as valid.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 37
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 1/20/2008 7:23:35 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121
e.g. Mike Scholl and I would NEVER enjoy a game against each other. He likes the historical pace etc too much and I'm more of a "Well, if the range is 3,000 miles then I'm going to attack something 3,000 miles away even if this was NEVER done" . Notwithstanding this I have a lot of respect for him as a player AND someone who has thought about a lot of the issues and offers interesting opinions ( even if I often disagree :) ). This is, evidently, my way of saying just because we disagree with another forum member and would not enjoy playing them doesn't mean we should demonize them.

And I can respect and accept your viewpoint as well..., though I agree we wouldn't enjoy playing a game against one another. I like things as historically correct as possible, and want that in the "basic game". But if modders want to build "flights of fancy" scenarios---good for them! The one concession I will make to the "it's a game!" group is that games are supposed to be fun to play..., so I say "to each his own" and have a good time. Just leave me a "real war" scenario someplace so I can have some too.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 38
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 1/21/2008 12:39:17 AM   
madgamer2

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Trollelite or Gen Hoepner... Do either of you have a problem with someone posting those house rules here so that others can see what this discussion is about?

Personally, I would not have accepted (nor offered) those house rules.

IIRC that his house rules were no house rules. I would not get involved with this guy for anything because my game time is valuable and if I ever do get into a PBEM game I would mhave to be the allied side and would be easier to beat than the AI LOL. I mean there CAN'T be a Jap player as bad as I who just barely beat the AI.

Madsgamewr

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 39
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 1/21/2008 12:43:36 AM   
madgamer2

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Yes I think it makes a lot of sense - hence I was first assuming that there were no house rules in this set of house rules!

I read over them - the one I have the biggest problem with is not allowing Allied units in Soviet territory. Many Allied units start in Soviet territory - how would we propose to instantly get rid of them? Perhaps we are talking about a mod where they are first removed. Confusing anyway.

For a serious game - I like the process Moses and I used - we selected the house rules - we wanted a small set that covered the basics of the exploits we'd seen. And then and only then - we picked sides.

Great Idea and very fair except for one thing I can 't play the Jap side, heck I have enough trouble just playing the Allied side. I have no head for the production.

Madgamer

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 40
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 1/21/2008 12:51:03 AM   
madgamer2

Well GH I have just one question. You seem to be a person with some brains so why did you agree to such a game with such a ,,,,,,strange set of house rules? I had a good friend years ago that could not help himself and had to get involved in a game with someone such as this guy...he would have loved it. So I wish you luck as I have yet to get into a PBEM game till I can get through a game with the AI LOL

Madgamer

(in reply to Gen.Hoepner)
Post #: 41
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 1/21/2008 2:31:14 AM   
trollelite

OK, I don't expect u give so strong a reaction, it seems very strange for me. I suppose u all think this set of HR make Japs all too strong, but it's really not a problem for me to knock most of yours out of the war before 1944 as allies, and perhaps at least half of members before 1943. For example, why should I care whether my opponent's Reppu enter service in 1944 or 1945 if I can be sure he would be defeated before 1944? You said this HR give Japs unrealistic edge, but no one comes out to prove it with ACTION, i.e, defeat me using Japs side.

I have fought 4 regular games under this HR, 2 as Japs and 2 as allies, including this set with GH, all three previous games ending with my opponent decisively defeated.

In first set I use allies side. I suppose memebers of this forum are all quite strong, so I toke allies side that time. I really felt I got too much advantage by using that side, this is why I made this HR. After reviewing that, my opponent said it's ridiculous, and warned me if I would enjoy a quick defeat. However, he himself lost entire KB in April, then we discussed the situation and decided that game should be terminated, as unilateral slaughter is really not interesting.

I then found another opponent from here. We agreed to open a mirror game, using same HR. This opponent of mine suggest the HR goes too far away. He suggested only a weak player as me need the protection of that. To offset the "sacriface" I made as allies side, he decided no port attack should be made against me in first turn. I would not tell u how these 2 games go on, simply to say, he quit as Japs in Feb and allies in July after a string of defeat.

So u see, from my exp this set of HR is quite balanced. They two are no rookie players, and both had played several set of pbem games. And I don't pretend I am a top player. Still, both of them are defeated within 6 months of war. So I could reasonably say against mediocre Jap players, fighting under this HR, the game is expected to terminate within 6 to 9 months, with decisive Japs defeat.

I suppose this HR should give them enough protection, so our game could survive somewhat longer, obviously this is not the fact. Weaker Japs player need much more help than that.

To take Japs side is much more interesting than command allies side. However, if someone can get nothing but defeat after defeat, then there is no fun any more. We should make a HR let weak players be able to command Japs side and so get full fun from what they paid.

When I open current game, I have discussed the HR with GH, and suggest we open 2 mirror games. But he refused henceforth. But then I had still hope that he would open a Jap game, too. As I suspected he may be as weak as those previous two, this is the only way I could be assured my allies game could go any longer. If he is with average skill, as it turns be, this HR could ensure he survive to 1943 as Japs side, or even 1944, to make our games more interesting. I don't know why he always refuse to fight me as Japs, perhaps this HR still not provides enouth protection. For me it's no problem to let Japs get their last generation naval fighter 1 year earlier. It's even welcomed.I would not ask that favor while using Japs side, however.

I am not using this one to strangle GH's allies side. Just think it's justified to modify rules to add more fun into game. This HR should ensure pbem game between players of same skill survive into 1944, or even 1945. But if Japs side is weaker one it's still not enough.

No HR, not even giving Japs a double stronger fleet, could help weak Jap player's game survive any longer. This is the disappointing result I found.

< Message edited by trollelite -- 1/21/2008 2:43:46 AM >

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 42
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 1/21/2008 2:40:52 AM   
trollelite

Why some people so hate this HR?

1. it makes Japs too strong, actually stronger than allies side.                  Answer: prove that by beating me. I am not good player, and now shackled by this HR, so should rather easy to defeat.

2. it doesn't accord to history. In history japs should be much weaker.          Answer: this HR may not entirely loyal to history, but any game should not have a default loser even before that begins, either.

3. I buy this game for only one reason, that I could using allies side slaughter Japs side, and that's thrilling! Beating someone without ability to fight back, and REPEATEDLY!  Now you invent this one, and soon all Japs opponent would ask similar condition or I have no allies game anymore. And my game  would not be as easy and sweet as before. To make thing worse, Japs side could even win the war, then expose what a fool I am to all those in this forum...                   Answer:...??!!

(in reply to trollelite)
Post #: 43
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 1/21/2008 3:25:40 AM   
ctangus

quote:

Why some people so hate this HR?

1. it makes Japs too strong, actually stronger than allies side. Answer: prove that by beating me. I am not good player, and now shackled by this HR, so should rather easy to defeat.

2. it doesn't accord to history. In history japs should be much weaker. Answer: this HR may not entirely loyal to history, but any game should not have a default loser even before that begins, either.

3. I buy this game for only one reason, that I could using allies side slaughter Japs side, and that's thrilling! Beating someone without ability to fight back, and REPEATEDLY! Now you invent this one, and soon all Japs opponent would ask similar condition or I have no allies game anymore. And my game would not be as easy and sweet as before. To make thing worse, Japs side could even win the war, then expose what a fool I am to all those in this forum... Answer:...??!!

Well, from my point of view I want to have the same capabilities and face similar problems to the ones my historical counterpoints faced. Whether I'm playing Japan or the Allies.

With that in mind, Japan will certainly lose the war. But I don't judge my success on who wins the war. I judge my success on how well I do compared to history. Winning the "game" is far different than wining the "war".

That's why I wouldn't personally like to play under your house rules - they do, as you recognized, make Japan stronger than they were historically. Those house rule aren't for me, but as long as you & your opponent are enjoying the game I won't criticize them either.

(in reply to trollelite)
Post #: 44
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 1/21/2008 3:47:24 AM   
trollelite

It's not for Japs to win the war, the main purpose is for

1. to ensure Japs side not kicked out too quickly, i.e, in the first year of the war.

2. to make Japs player have some chance to win the war against someone not much better than AI, and to make Japs have some chance to survive into 1945 even against rather good opponent.

Perhaps you don't care, but it's especially disgusting to me that even AI level ones could win by default.

What I mean AI one? He may avoid very stupid error typically to AI, but no much better otherwise.

As GH, as I promised not quit before he conquer all urban bases of Jap side, I doubt he would quit any time too soon. You are not going to find many people who promise not quit as Japs these days.

< Message edited by trollelite -- 1/21/2008 3:52:20 AM >

(in reply to ctangus)
Post #: 45
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 1/21/2008 6:45:45 AM   
witpqs

quote:

1. to ensure Japs side not kicked out too quickly, i.e, in the first year of the war.

You're kidding, right? You think that without these house rules the Japanese must lose the war before the end of 1942?

(in reply to trollelite)
Post #: 46
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 1/21/2008 7:43:43 AM   
okami

I have been keeping an eye on the game with GH and I must say your strategy is faulty and your game play borders on gamey. Two examples, Paradrops on nonbase hexes and partial drops to isolate. I play exclusively the Japanese and not only would you, nor any other player be able to defeat me in 1942, I don't think you personally would do well later in the war with the tactics I have seen you use. You may wish to look to your attitude as to why your opponents stop playing with you and not to how great a player you seem to think you are. If I asked for the kind of advantages you want for the Japanese, I know that the result of the game would have little to do with my abilities as a player. House Rules should be to stop gamey play not to gain an advantage for one side or the other.

"Square peg, round hole? No problem. Malet please.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 47
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 1/21/2008 8:54:59 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

When I open current game, I have discussed the HR with GH, and suggest we open 2 mirror games. But he refused henceforth. But then I had still hope that he would open a Jap game, too. As I suspected he may be as weak as those previous two, this is the only way I could be assured my allies game could go any longer. If he is with average skill, as it turns be, this HR could ensure he survive to 1943 as Japs side, or even 1944, to make our games more interesting. I don't know why he always refuse to fight me as Japs, perhaps this HR still not provides enouth protection. For me it's no problem to let Japs get their last generation naval fighter 1 year earlier. It's even welcomed.I would not ask that favor while using Japs side, however.

I am not using this one to strangle GH's allies side. Just think it's justified to modify rules to add more fun into game. This HR should ensure pbem game between players of same skill survive into 1944, or even 1945. But if Japs side is weaker one it's still not enough.

I've never argued to be a strong or particularly experienced player. Never.
I've never told you "hey buddy, i'm gonna kick your arse around in this game no matter what you do". Never.
You're probably stronger and more experienced than me. Sure you are. You know the game mechanics better than me. That's for sure.
I do however have fun playing with you and i hope you're enjoying our game too.

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to trollelite)
Post #: 48
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 1/21/2008 9:17:33 AM   
castor troy

quote:

OK, I don't expect u give so strong a reaction, it seems very strange for me. I suppose u all think this set of HR make Japs all too strong, but it's really not a problem for me to knock most of yours out of the war before 1944 as allies, and perhaps at least half of members before 1943. For example, why should I care whether my opponent's Reppu enter service in 1944 or 1945 if I can be sure he would be defeated before 1944? You said this HR give Japs unrealistic edge, but no one comes out to prove it with ACTION, i.e, defeat me using Japs side.

as other people have told you before, those claims are just a kid´s loud cries when it gets awake at 3 am... That´s your oppinion and that´s fine for you. IMO someone who´s so over selfconfident like you would just get slapped by a long term WITP player. So to knock most of the long term players out of the war before 44 and half of them before 43 is just BS...

I just can renew my offer: let´s bet $ 1.000 - 10.000. Let´s pay the amount on an escrow account and do the first public WITP (stock) campaign where the winner get´s a real prize...

of course, with the given victory points for some bases (like Noumea) you can always exploit the first turn movement bonus and land in the whole South Pacific within the first week when everything is empty. You can always go for India before you knock out the Philipines (super gamey, not possible in real life) and so on... If you keep it somewhere realistic then you´re just a victim... IF you would win, then it´s because you´re the master of super exploits of the game engine...

(in reply to trollelite)
Post #: 49
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 1/21/2008 1:04:59 PM   
Andy Mac

And in the end thats all that matters - well said GH

[/quote]
I do however have fun playing with you and i hope you're enjoying our game too.
[/quote]

My one regret of all my games is that I walked away from the one that had the potential to be a really good laugh against a great player (v Nemo on his mod) I couldn't knock myself out of "historical" mode and play the game we had.

Trollelite you may be as good as your posts indicate I have no evidence to judge either way I look forward to seeing how your game with GH unfolds.

(in reply to Gen.Hoepner)
Post #: 50
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 2/9/2008 8:54:57 PM   
FeurerKrieg

Since GH suggests we post on the public forum rather than his AAR (where Troll can't 'defend' himself) I will just say that GH's game is unfolding as a joke. One side is playing very historically and one side is abusing almost every game code exploit there is.

I've stopped watching because the game is not anything close to a strategy and tactics competition. All it is now is how fast can Troll exploit the game to kill off the Allies. How he derives any satisfaction from that style of play is beyond me, but hey, maybe he likes to fish with dynamite also.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 51
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 2/9/2008 9:00:35 PM   
witpqs

Yeah, but at least he agreed to stop using one particular exploit - provided GH gave up an offensive operation as payment.

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 52
RE: As my house rule in the game against GH - 2/9/2008 9:05:34 PM   
FeurerKrieg

Yea, that was just icing on the cake in this one.

And why should China not be allowed to do offensive action when the bulk of the Japanese army is all on one flank?

Oh, that's right, it might allow GH to accomplish something - and that's against the rules, right?

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 53
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: As my house rule in the game against GH Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI