Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Revolutionary Thoughts

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: Revolutionary Thoughts Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/4/2008 4:11:27 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: DCWhitworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwheelock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mardonius

Thanks Eske. But now I have had a few moments during this math storm to throw a few dice and sharpen my guillotines. Got the mob with pitchforks and torches too.

I would think that we might want to find some threshold that indicates AI fruition, lest -- for reasons noted above -- we chase those diminishing marginal returns down little rabbit holes until our halcyon days. I'd love to hear what an acceptable AI is.

Sic Semper Tyrannis,

Mardonius

I would suggest a variation of the "Turing Test".

A recap for non-programmers - (taken from Wikipedia) :

The Turing test is a proposal for a test of a machine's capability to demonstrate intelligence. Described by Alan Turing in the 1950 paper "Computing Machinery and Intelligence," it proceeds as follows: a human judge engages in a natural language conversation with one human and one machine, each of which try to appear human; if the judge cannot reliably tell which is which, then the machine is said to pass the test. In order to test the machine's intelligence rather than its ability to render words into audio, the conversation is limited to a text-only channel such as a computer keyboard and screen (Turing originally suggested a teletype machine, one of the few text-only communication systems available in 1950.

(FYI - The Turing test hasn't [yet] been met except in very restricted conditions [some people have
mistaken a program called "Eliza" for a human who was making fun of them & got rather upset with "him"])

What I would suggest as a measure of an AI "good enough" to be labeled as "done" would be if you cannot
tell the difference between the AI's play or that of an AVERAGE (not EXPERT) human player; then I would
conclude the AI is done.

I think the Turing test would be an impossible target and in my opinion an unrealistic one. The fundamental fact is that humans do not think like computers so getting a computer to play like a human is even harder than getting it to play competantly.

Computers can play chess better than humans but they don't think about it the same way and they don't play like humans. To beat a human and a chess computer over the board requires different optimal techniques (when playing at a high level), but the computers eventually outpaced the humans, not by playing chess 'better' but by sheer brute force computing power.

In fact the entire computer chess development is a dead end as far as real AI is concerned. It doesn't give any sort of insight into true intelligence, it's just brute force computing in a limited environment.

This is not true regarding Chess AI. Modern chess AI incorporate genetic algorithms and neural networks, two very strong AI topics in modern computing. The "chess only uses brute force" is a computing myth and can be quickly dismissed with any "google scholar" search for whitepapers.

Does it use search functions? Absolutely, but don't you? Don't you think in steps when playing Chess? You do more than also and SO DOES the AI most of the time. Most AI's will search deeper when finding a line that is interesting and seems (where the AI comes in) to be advantageous, something a human player does all the time.

You can look at a line and know it's going nowhere but you can also see a line and then think "wait a minute, that might lead to something, I need to spend more time thinking about this" and SO DOES THE AI.

I don't think it's fair to dismiss an AI's thinking methods simply because you can explain them in some ISA and you fail to be able to explain your own. Their is no magic behind your thinking, we just haven't discovered the explanation behind the method yet.

(in reply to DCWhitworth)
Post #: 91
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/4/2008 4:39:32 PM   
eske

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeverMan
This is not true regarding Chess AI. Modern chess AI incorporate genetic algorithms and neural networks, two very strong AI topics in modern computing. The "chess only uses brute force" is a computing myth and can be quickly dismissed with any "google scholar" search for whitepapers.

Does it use search functions? Absolutely, but don't you? Don't you think in steps when playing Chess? You do more than also and SO DOES the AI most of the time. Most AI's will search deeper when finding a line that is interesting and seems (where the AI comes in) to be advantageous, something a human player does all the time.

You can look at a line and know it's going nowhere but you can also see a line and then think "wait a minute, that might lead to something, I need to spend more time thinking about this" and SO DOES THE AI.

I don't think it's fair to dismiss an AI's thinking methods simply because you can explain them in some ISA and you fail to be able to explain your own. Their is no magic behind your thinking, we just haven't discovered the explanation behind the method yet.

Now you made me curious, Neverman. Which chess programs uses genetic algorithms and/or neural betworks ?
- and which chess programs uses modern chess AI ?

And - to make this discussion relevant to EiA - which part of modern chess AI can be applied to which area of EiA ?

/eske

Alea iacta est

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 92
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/4/2008 5:00:17 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: eske

quote:

Now you made me curious, Neverman. Which chess programs uses genetic algorithms and/or neural betworks ?

And - to make this discussion relevant to EiA - which part of modern chess AI can be applied to which area of EiA ?

/eske

Modern chess AI incorporate genetic algorithms and neural networks, as I said, so the two are not mutally exclusive as you suggest in your question.

I suggest you start at "google" or "google scholar" to satisfy your own curiousity.

(in reply to eske)
Post #: 93
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/4/2008 5:15:36 PM   
eske

quote:

quote:

quote:

/eske

Modern chess AI incorporate genetic algorithms and neural networks, as I said, so the two are not mutally exclusive as you suggest in your question.

I suggest you start at "google" or "google scholar" to satisfy your own curiousity.

I certainly will. Just hoped you could give me a pointer to which programs you think of. You obviusly know more of recent succesfull chessprograms than I do. I sort of drifted to other fields when Deep Blue won against Kasparov. That was - as you probably know - based on the brute force approach.

I would be especially interested in programs that use both genetic algorithms and neural netwroks.

/eske

< Message edited by eske -- 8/4/2008 5:19:42 PM >

Alea iacta est

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 94
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/4/2008 7:14:17 PM   
Mardonius

Hello Lads:

Besides wargaming and fomenting revolutions, I like to run. Road races, cross country or wherever. One thing I have learned from running races is that it helps to know where the finish line is. They usually even have a little gateway for you to run through and sometimes even a medal to make you feel a sense of accomplishment.

But here with the AI we are running a race where we don't know where the finish is. So can we rewind and ask a very simple question:

If we have not got that human level intellgence from fifty plus years of AI development (see above discussion), what level of AI would a reasonable REASONABLE person expect for EiANW, given that it encompasses a dynamic more sophisitcated than a brute force paradigm? What is a reasonable level of AI?

Follow up question: How do we know we have got to this reasonable level, i.e. crossed the finish line?

best
Mardonius

"Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant" -- James Madison
"Yes, you will win most battles, but if you loose to me you will loose oh so badly that it causes me pain (chortle) just to think of it" - P. Khan

(in reply to eske)
Post #: 95
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/4/2008 7:26:28 PM   
Marshall Ellis

quote:

Hello Lads:

Besides wargaming and fomenting revolutions, I like to run. Road races, cross country or wherever. One thing I have learned from running races is that it helps to know where the finish line is. They usually even have a little gateway for you to run through and sometimes even a medal to make you feel a sense of accomplishment.

But here with the AI we are running a race where we don't know where the finish is. So can we rewind and ask a very simple question:

If we have not got that human level intellgence from fifty plus years of AI development (see above discussion), what level of AI would a reasonable REASONABLE person expect for EiANW, given that it encompasses a dynamic more sophisitcated than a brute force paradigm? What is a reasonable level of AI?

Follow up question: How do we know we have got to this reasonable level, i.e. crossed the finish line?

best
Mardonius

Personally, I don't think I will ever be able to look at the AI and say "Finished!". At least from the non-tactical and more of the diplomatic side. I say this because human behavior / reactions are not constants. As situations change then so do human reactions. A good example of this might be How Turkey could be allies with GBR but then also allies with France (A lovely tactic that I have used before when GBR is hovering around 6pp away from instability). This tactic changes GBR to dang near hostile to Turkey but she is hesitant to issue a DOW since it would really cost BUT it makes France want to give you way more money than you will ever make in trade. Point is: In this scenario all three nations / personalities would change almost 180 degrees. The AI however might not understand how she needs to be hostile to an ally in this scenario.

I hope this makes sense. I'm trying to simply convey how current diplomatic settings do not always reflect how mad a human player may be with another player and yes you can approximate "mad points" if you will but this makes it more predictable and humans just are not predictable!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 96
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/4/2008 7:41:31 PM   
Mardonius

Exactly Marshall. There are so many dynamics in this game that go way beyond the brute force calculation that I too doubt that an AI will be even moderately capable when compared to a mid capability human.

And why do I keep asking about the AI and how much is enough? Glad you aked. Until now we have put the AI (and bug working out... which is another issue) as a higher priority than the OPTIONS or scenario editor. I think I know why... it probably has a bit to do with that survey you put out a few weeks back. Great customer solicitation but I am concerned that this pursuit of the deft AI will mean that you will never turn to the scenario editor and the OPTIONs similar to the ones I have been advocating so quietly.

At some point, you and Mssr Rutins (proud Vermonter) et alias should, perhaps, consider, puting one through the field goal posts and getting some more points on the board. A 1807 scenario should be a piece of cake ("slam dunk", in my hero, George Tenet's parlace)... other OPTIONs -- from both the SCRIPTURE and perhaps from apocryphal sources like those above -- could follow at regular intervals in your bug stomping campaign.

Vive La Revolution!
Mardonius

"Yes, you will win most battles, but if you loose to me you will loose oh so badly that it causes me pain (chortle) just to think of it" - P. Khan

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 97
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/4/2008 9:11:46 PM   
Thresh

Step back from the Kool Aid...

Marshall and Matrix have a plan.

That it is not your plan does not mean it is a bad plan, but Marshall has his priorities, and they are being worked on.  Much of what you pine for will be no good if the underlying issues aren't resolved first, right?

Todd

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 98
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/4/2008 9:31:04 PM   
Mardonius

No Kool Aid here Todd. Sorry. You'll have to queue up elsewhere.

Please don't think that I am saying don't do any bug work or AI improvement. Just ask the question: how much AI is enough? I don't know the answer. I'd love to hear what is enough. What do you think Todd? I don't think asking the question is a Kool Aid thing.

And if the answer that comes out bespeaks that perhaps we should alter a plan after a certain metric is made, then that is a good thing.

Remember, it is a poor general who fights the war according to plan when the battlefield and the enemy indicate that a different course of action might be in mind. You're not from the Eastern Block, are you Todd?

The underlying bug issues, of course, do need a lot of work. To me that is less of a rabbit hole.

(in reply to Thresh)
Post #: 99
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/4/2008 10:04:27 PM   
fvianello

mmmhh....no program has ever passed the turing test. I'd be surprised if EiA AI could make it :)

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

Post #: 100
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/4/2008 11:27:30 PM   
Thresh

How much AI is enough?

More than is present.

Todd

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 101
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/4/2008 11:59:48 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thresh

How much AI is enough?

More than is present.

Todd

This reminds me of a funny poster I saw yesterday, the poster read:

Free Beer......Tomorrow!

(in reply to Thresh)
Post #: 102
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/5/2008 1:46:41 AM   
Marshall Ellis

quote:

Exactly Marshall. There are so many dynamics in this game that go way beyond the brute force calculation that I too doubt that an AI will be even moderately capable when compared to a mid capability human.

And why do I keep asking about the AI and how much is enough? Glad you aked. Until now we have put the AI (and bug working out... which is another issue) as a higher priority than the OPTIONS or scenario editor. I think I know why... it probably has a bit to do with that survey you put out a few weeks back. Great customer solicitation but I am concerned that this pursuit of the deft AI will mean that you will never turn to the scenario editor and the OPTIONs similar to the ones I have been advocating so quietly.

At some point, you and Mssr Rutins (proud Vermonter) et alias should, perhaps, consider, puting one through the field goal posts and getting some more points on the board. A 1807 scenario should be a piece of cake ("slam dunk", in my hero, George Tenet's parlace)... other OPTIONs -- from both the SCRIPTURE and perhaps from apocryphal sources like those above -- could follow at regular intervals in your bug stomping campaign.

Vive La Revolution!
Mardonius

Mardonius:

I tend to agree with some of your obersavtions and we did pull back a bit on the scheduled AI improvements that we wanted to add but that was to help speed up and introduce some critical fixes. I hate to say this and some could argue but these critical fixes were game killers and had to take a P1 over the AI. I made that decision because I think it was the right one. I can and will keep improving the AI over the next several releases but would love the chance to get some fun stuff (Editor) out too!

Our AI improvement focus was a result of the overwhelming messages about what it was lacking and how it was acting. We had to react to this and we are.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 103
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/5/2008 1:56:22 AM   
Mardonius

Hi Marshall:

Man who works 7 days a week 'til the wee hours.

No, you are spot on. I think the decisions to date regarding the AI and Bugs have been the proper ones and needed. One must have some basis of an AI... and I, too, don't think we have quite yet reached that finish line. I'd just like to canvas our community to figure where we should strive to have that line.

My own druthers for an AI would be sort of like one of those jousting tilt-a-whirls that knock you off your horse if you don't duck in time. Great to practice on but if you want a real challenge, best take on the Black Knight. I reckon that is, at least an obtainable and useful goal.

All the best,
Mardonius

Post #: 104
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/5/2008 3:28:37 AM   
delatbabel

Programming AI is very hard. I have tried it a few times on various projects, and it's not fun. That is all from me on this topic.

--
Del

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 105
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/5/2008 4:25:01 AM   
NeverMan

quote:

I certainly will. Just hoped you could give me a pointer to which programs you think of. You obviusly know more of recent succesfull chessprograms than I do. I sort of drifted to other fields when Deep Blue won against Kasparov. That was - as you probably know - based on the brute force approach.

I would be especially interested in programs that use both genetic algorithms and neural netwroks.

/eske

Deep Blue had other aspects of "intelligence" besides brute force. You are correct, it was "based" on the brute force approach, but you imply that is it's only aspect of "intelligence", when in fact this is not true.

Here are two OLD projects (~10 years ago) out of UC schools:

http://satirist.org/learn-game/projects/morph.html

http://satirist.org/learn-game/systems/sal.html

Of course if you are really interested in the newer techniques, I would STRONGLY suggest ACM and/or IEEE portals for paper searches.

There are certainly more interesting topics for AI than Chess; however, it's a classic everyone has some knowledge of, this is why I brought it up.

(in reply to eske)
Post #: 106
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/5/2008 4:37:00 AM   
gwheelock

quote:

ORIGINAL: HanBarca

mmmhh....no program has ever passed the turing test. I'd be surprised if EiA AI could make it :)

This is not completly true. There have been a few cases where people
have mistaken an Eliza program (a rather simple program that mimics
a freudian psychologist) as another person making fun of them.

What the program would do is take in a general statement; perform
some basic English manipulations to transform it into a question & then
throw it back at them ... or sometimes just throw out a generic question.

Sort of like this : (note the simple, basic English manipulation - without a
shred of real understanding of anything said - it just picks apart the
sentence ["don't like cheese"]; makes a few pronoun changes [I -> you]
and occasonally throws in a canned phrase ["because you hate your mother"])

Me : I hate pizza.
E: Why do you hate pizza .
Me: I hate pizza because I don't like cheese
E: It it that you don't like cheese because you hate your mother

You can probably see why people who thought that they were talking to another
person might get p-oed & think the other guy was making fun of them.

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 107
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/5/2008 8:47:20 AM   
bresh

My big concern is the game balance.

As far as i can tell if we dont want hardcoded morale for minors, corps sizes etc.
If soldiers can improve so can the leaders. Ranging 1-6.
Why stay there, all leader stats can change to ?? Win a battle +1 in a stat.
Loose a battle -1 in a stat..........

Soon napy will run around with 6.6.6 rating, and all the rest have 1.1.1

This is realistic, so lets play that way.. since we are not held up by EIA-rules.

Sorry yeah sarcastic comment :)

Regards
Bresh

< Message edited by bresh -- 8/5/2008 8:48:26 AM >

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 108
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/5/2008 1:53:51 PM   
RayKinStL

This is such a silly debate sometimes.  Mardonius the side you debate is completely different from my (or anyone elses) expectations.  I don't not expect Matrix to put out an AI that will mimic how a human plays.  I understand that some of the decisions that are more arbitrary and based on emotion would be hard to duplicate in AI thinking.  That said, I do not think it an unreasonable expectation to take the diplomacy AI existent now, and pair it with some sort of intelligence with regard to movement, attack, defense, and supply.  I believe an AI to strive for would be one that knows where to commit its forces, and in what numbers.  And in the same vein, when to pull back and defend or even throw in the towel.  Plus, while we have seen some of it, a better understanding of how and when to attack supply lines would be advantageous for the AI.  I don't know WHEN the AI will get there, and I don't know what the final version should, or would, look like.  But programming is not running.  And to take an end justifies the means approach is not applicable, in my opinion.  I think with each iteration of the game, Matrix makes strides towards getting the game AI to an acceptable level.  But if you need an idea of where to go, I think the AI needs to get to the point where land and naval phases/combat are conducted in similar fashion to how a beginning/intermediate human would use the forces.  Until the AI stops throwing single suicidal corps at me, stops sitting in one region with an unmovable massive corps stack, and stops wasting whole calvary corps to try to assault a minor woth 1/1, there are improvements that can and should be made.

(in reply to bresh)
Post #: 109
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/5/2008 3:47:20 PM   
Mardonius

Hi Ray:

I think you make some valid points. What you have written, perhaps, we should consider as the AI goal. Then, at least, we know when we are finished.

best,
Mardonius

(in reply to RayKinStL)
Post #: 110
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/5/2008 5:23:34 PM   
Marshall Ellis

quote:

Hi Marshall:

Man who works 7 days a week 'til the wee hours.

No, you are spot on. I think the decisions to date regarding the AI and Bugs have been the proper ones and needed. One must have some basis of an AI... and I, too, don't think we have quite yet reached that finish line. I'd just like to canvas our community to figure where we should strive to have that line.

My own druthers for an AI would be sort of like one of those jousting tilt-a-whirls that knock you off your horse if you don't duck in time. Great to practice on but if you want a real challenge, best take on the Black Knight. I reckon that is, at least an obtainable and useful goal.

All the best,
Mardonius

I'll take this as a goal ... to knock you off your horse :-)

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 111
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/5/2008 5:44:20 PM   
AresMars

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

I'll take this as a goal ... to knock you off your horse :-)

Just shoot the horse Marshall!

So much easier then fighting some armoured Knight!

ON THE AI:

We can all agree that this will always be a work in progress, that should last forever....

Post #: 112
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/5/2008 11:07:17 PM   
fvianello

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwheelock

quote:

This is not completly true.

There's a competition every year, and no one was ever able to get the first prize (unrestricted turing test) nor the second (restricted turing test). the third prize goes to the "best" program among the competitors and of course is always assigned.

H. Barca,

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 113
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/6/2008 1:07:11 AM   
NeverMan

From wikipedia:

While neither ELIZA nor PARRY were able to pass a strict Turing Test, they - and software like them - suggested that software might be written that was able to do so. More importantly, they suggested that such software might involve little more than databases and the application of simple rules. This led to John Searle's 1980 paper, "Minds, Brains, and Programs", in which he proposed an argument against the Turing Test. Searle described a thought experiment known as the Chinese room that highlighted what he saw as a fundamental misinterpretation of what the Turing Test could and could not prove: while software such as ELIZA might be able to pass the Turing Test, they might do so by simply manipulating symbols of which they have no understanding. And without understanding, they could not be described as "thinking" in the same sense people do. Searle concludes that the Turing Test can not prove that a machine can think, contrary to Turing's original proposal.[21]

I'm inclined to believe that some real people can't even pass the "Turing Test" (as the assumed definition, although Searle makes very excellent points).

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 114
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/6/2008 4:52:22 PM   
yammahoper

I had a first happen to me the other night. 

I fired up EiA with the latest beta patch and started a game as Turkey.  I placed a three corp army in the holy land to invade Egypt and my fleets to bring in a diminshed Nazud corp and full Janissary with transport.  I put the other Janissary corp outside Constantinople and decided to fucus on getting North Africa.

Egypt held out till April and I moved West.  Spain had seized Morroco, and while I was in Cyrenica, Spain declared war on me and moved a corp with Castanos into Algeria.  I had declared war on Tripitania, so I moved my fleets into the blockade box with the transport feet off the coast to drop the full Janissary corp and supply the invasion.  To my delight and frustration, the Spanish navy moved in and captured my transport fleet and entire Janissary corp! 

On the negative side, after two losing battles in Algeria with the Algerian corp, I had the Spanish corp down to one factor while I had five factors left.  AT this point a bug occured and my Algerian corp became effectively invisible.  Even though I was besieging the city, control switched to spain and I lost the city.  Now I had the Spanish Heavy fleets sitting in the water off Tripitania so I could not move mine (though it did not blockade, which must have cost it a fortune), my Nazid corp trapped, AND I had made Syria a nuetral so my Anatolia corps could invade it and make it a conquered.  The result was a trip to instability and the loss of all my gains!

Then Austria declared war on me.

So now I am totally stapped for cash, my allies Russia and France keep refusing me any aid, even claiming my request for $5-10 are excessive, and so far the AI is being fairly responsive to my aggression.  These are nice improvements.  I have lost battles before, but never before has the AI handed me my hat like it did last night.

yamma

< Message edited by yammahoper@yahoo.com -- 8/6/2008 4:53:24 PM >

...nothing is more chaotic than a battle won...

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 115
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/6/2008 5:48:08 PM   
fvianello

quote:

ORIGINAL: neverman

From wikipedia:

While neither ELIZA nor PARRY were able to pass a strict Turing Test, they - and software like them - suggested that software might be written that was able to do so.

...and.. ?

That's the reason I entered this thread

H. Barca,

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 116
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/6/2008 5:54:08 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: neverman

From wikipedia:

While neither ELIZA nor PARRY were able to pass a strict Turing Test, they - and software like them - suggested that software might be written that was able to do so.

...and.. ?

That's the reason I entered this thread

The point of my posting that wiki paragraph was to show that possibly, the Turing Test itself is not a good measurement of AI and we, as a community, need to rethink what AI really is. That is all.

Oh yeah, and to make a joke about real people not having enough "I" to often know what they are doing or saying.

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 117
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/6/2008 5:55:27 PM   
fvianello

...but... ?

H. Barca,

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 118
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/6/2008 9:09:23 PM   
Marshall Ellis

quote:

ORIGINAL: yammahoper@yahoo.com

I had a first happen to me the other night. 

I fired up EiA with the latest beta patch and started a game as Turkey.  I placed a three corp army in the holy land to invade Egypt and my fleets to bring in a diminshed Nazud corp and full Janissary with transport.  I put the other Janissary corp outside Constantinople and decided to fucus on getting North Africa.

Egypt held out till April and I moved West.  Spain had seized Morroco, and while I was in Cyrenica, Spain declared war on me and moved a corp with Castanos into Algeria.  I had declared war on Tripitania, so I moved my fleets into the blockade box with the transport feet off the coast to drop the full Janissary corp and supply the invasion.  To my delight and frustration, the Spanish navy moved in and captured my transport fleet and entire Janissary corp! 

On the negative side, after two losing battles in Algeria with the Algerian corp, I had the Spanish corp down to one factor while I had five factors left.  AT this point a bug occured and my Algerian corp became effectively invisible.  Even though I was besieging the city, control switched to spain and I lost the city.  Now I had the Spanish Heavy fleets sitting in the water off Tripitania so I could not move mine (though it did not blockade, which must have cost it a fortune), my Nazid corp trapped, AND I had made Syria a nuetral so my Anatolia corps could invade it and make it a conquered.  The result was a trip to instability and the loss of all my gains!

Then Austria declared war on me.

So now I am totally stapped for cash, my allies Russia and France keep refusing me any aid, even claiming my request for $5-10 are excessive, and so far the AI is being fairly responsive to my aggression.  These are nice improvements.  I have lost battles before, but never before has the AI handed me my hat like it did last night.

yamma

Yamma:

Do you have this saved right before the control switched?

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to yammahoper)
Post #: 119
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/6/2008 9:10:48 PM   
Marshall Ellis

quote:

Oh yeah, and to make a joke about real people not having enough "I" to often know what they are doing or saying.

Hey! Watch it! I do have plenty of "A" though LOL!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: Revolutionary Thoughts Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI