Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Helicopter Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> Helicopter Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Helicopter Questions - 1/22/2008 7:46:53 AM   
brucekg

I've just played through a 11 turns of Invasion Vietnam 69. I am not sure how I should be deploying and using the helicopter units. In particular the lift/transport units. What are their operational characteristics. The manual mentions 200km.

This is what I think I understand,

1. The airmobile unit must be within 200km of the helicopter unit.
2. The airmobile unit may travel upto 200km after being picked up.
3. The destination does not have to be within 200km of the helicopter copter start location.

In addition, where should I base my helicopters? Any place in supply? Is being at a airbase better?

Also, how, should I, and what helicopter units should I use for recon? Should I directly attach with helicopters or simply use them as long-range artillery?

Thank you.

Post #: 1
RE: Helicopter Questions - 1/22/2008 8:05:22 AM   
JAMiAM

You are correct in your 1,2,3 statements.

In general, you do want to try to keep all of your units in supply, and recon helicopter units have special capabilities, but the answers to the other questions are situationally dependent and don't lend themselves to "one size fits all" answers.

(in reply to brucekg)
Post #: 2
RE: Helicopter Questions - 1/22/2008 5:40:32 PM   
brucekg

Is the recon effect something that happens over the entire operating range of the copters or do I need to move it thru hexes?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 3
RE: Helicopter Questions - 1/23/2008 1:35:41 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: brucekg

Is the recon effect something that happens over the entire operating range of the copters or do I need to move it thru hexes?

The recon helicopters need to be made to overfly the enemy hexes.

(in reply to brucekg)
Post #: 4
RE: Helicopter Questions - 1/23/2008 6:49:47 AM   
brucekg

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

quote:

And to strain your good nature with one more question. What type of helicopters would be appropriate to use?

Good nite.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 5
RE: Helicopter Questions - 1/23/2008 10:16:11 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

This sounds a tad mickey-mouse. I mean, presumably the recon helicopter units represent multiple helicopters flying multiple missions over a turn of up to several days in length.

...and you overfly specific hexes with the entire unit? It's starting to sound like 'Age of Kings.' Not a bad game in its way -- but not a direction I'd want to see TOAW take.

It might not be feasible -- or even an improvement -- but how about assigning a target hex and radius to the recon helicopter unit? It then yields improved recon over that section of the map. That sounds more authentic to me. Failing that, helicopter units just boost your recon level in general if they are assigned to recon. Failing that, bag recon helicopters entirely.

Not that I'm exactly going to drop volume-based supply and take up this as my cause du jour -- but I'd rather see TOAW development headed in this sort of direction.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 6
RE: Helicopter Questions - 1/23/2008 10:24:55 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

quote:

quote:

This sounds a tad mickey-mouse. I mean, presumably the recon helicopter units represent multiple helicopters flying multiple missions over a turn of up to several days in length.

...and you overfly specific hexes with the entire unit? It's starting to sound like 'Age of Kings.' Not a bad game in its way -- but not a direction I'd want to see TOAW take.

It might not be feasible -- or even an improvement -- but how about assigning a target hex and radius to the recon helicopter unit? It then yields improved recon over that section of the map. That sounds more authentic to me. Failing that, helicopter units just boost your recon level in general if they are assigned to recon. Failing that, bag recon helicopters entirely.

Not that I'm exactly going to drop volume-based supply and take up this as my cause du jour -- but I'd rather see TOAW development headed in this sort of direction.

This is the way they've worked since at least as far back as CoW. It is nothing new for TOAW III, and I agree, the implementation was not too well thought out. Another one of many things to change for TOAW IV.

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> Helicopter Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI