Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Version 0.99 ready

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Version 0.99 ready Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Version 0.99 ready - 4/3/2009 11:54:00 PM   
Bombur

v0.99 released with both AI and PBEM versions

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 271
RE: Asking for suggestions - 4/4/2009 5:01:48 AM   
explorer2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bombur

However, we need recon aircraft. Currently, we can´t use carrier based aircraft due to engine constraints (we will spend all AP to make a recon mission). So I have two alternatives
1-Give cruisers and battleships a very high recon value to simulate embarked aicraft or
2-Place floatplanes on cruisers and battleships (but if you have BB´s and CA´s in the same fleet as carriers, we will have the same troubles with recon)
So, what alternative is better? Any idea?

I have the same issue in WaW Revised I'm working on. I though that by adding a special air scout plane, like the ones used by the Allies in WWII, I could solve the problem, BUT not so easy. 2 problems:
1. The game does not have separate recon due to distance modifiers for navy and air. Therefore if you say that the recon mod for 1 hex away is 50% for a naval unit, id does the same for ground units, which isn't acceptable.
2. Air units recon only applies to the one hex (plus distance modifiers- see #1) that it "targets"

So I found using air units for naval recon not to actually be nearly as effective as using naval units with higher recon values, since they can apply their recon to more than one hex as they move.
And since WaW is confined to WWII, it's an easy choice of what ship to give the recon to - Carriers, even though most BB and some CA did have float plane recon, it was standard fare for carriers.
Just my two cents worth.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 272
RE: Asking for suggestions - 4/8/2009 1:10:16 AM   
Bombur

Yes, I gave high recon values for carriers, battlehips and cruisers too. However, the recon range is too short....

(in reply to explorer2)
Post #: 273
RE: Asking for suggestions - 4/8/2009 1:12:10 AM   
Bombur

v0.99 has an issue with missiles, which were rated as land, instead of air units...will be fixed as soon Lunaticus finishes with me in our playtest game....sigh

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 274
RE: Asking for suggestions - 4/8/2009 4:54:39 AM   
explorer2

quote:

Yes, I gave high recon values for carriers, battlehips and cruisers too. However, the recon range is too short....

Do you know that there is a modifier for this? You can adjust the strength of the recon for up to 4 hexes around the unit. Problem is it's universal- it applies to ALL units: land, air, sea.
Currently I think the values are:
1 hex: 100%
2 hex: 25%
3 hex: 05%
4 hex: 01%

So a unit with 100 recon will generate 100 recon in the hexes adjacent to it and 1 pt of recon in hexes 4 away from it.

YOu probably knew that already.
Hope Vic changes this in next game.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 275
RE: Asking for suggestions - 4/9/2009 12:05:11 AM   
Jeffrey H.

So it is possible for an air unit to have extended recon range, (more than 4 hexes) around the target hex only, but not possible for other units to have an extended range beyond 4 hexes from themselves ?

Given the scale of the games, I suppose that makes some sense, it really isn't a tactical squad level type game.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to explorer2)
Post #: 276
RE: Asking for suggestions - 4/9/2009 4:00:39 AM   
explorer2

Not possible for ANY unit to have recon beyond 4 hexes, and not possible for air, sea, and land units' to have different Modifiers of what the percentage of recon will be applies to hexes 1 distant, 2 distant, 3 distant, and 4 distant. Each SFT can of course have its own number of recon points.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 277
RE: Asking for suggestions - 4/9/2009 11:17:26 PM   
Bombur

Actually the big trouble for air units isn´t recon range itself but their inability to generate recon points in the path to target area. This is ok. for land recon but cripples naval aircraft search.

(in reply to explorer2)
Post #: 278
RE: Asking for suggestions - 4/10/2009 4:51:07 AM   
explorer2

quote:

Actually the big trouble for air units isn´t recon range itself but their inability to generate recon points in the path to target area. This is ok. for land recon but cripples naval aircraft search.

I couldn't agree more. But it would also be nice if there could be separate recon modifiers for naval, air, and land units. Air would typically see the furthest, then naval, then land.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 279
RE: Asking for suggestions - 4/11/2009 4:35:28 PM   
Bombur

A few changes will de done.
Missiles are working in v0.99, as they were, by mistake, rated as land (instead of air) units. Fixed.
Costs for motorized transports halved for next version.

(in reply to explorer2)
Post #: 280
RE: Asking for suggestions - 4/21/2009 12:28:08 AM   
Bombur

Playtest vs. Lunaticus shows that the tech tree is still far from perfect, as he was able to go to battle with an army with T-55´s and biplane fighters. It will need a major rework of all the tech tree to fix this....
Stack limits increased to 1000 (more or less 200.000 men/hex). Given this mod´s scale, each hex has about 4800km2, so the 100 stack point limit is ridiculous.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 281
RE: Asking for suggestions - 4/21/2009 1:03:22 AM   
Tufkal2

As I said I very much like this mod. It recommend a scenario and a setting for this like the proposed European 1900-1960 scenario or so.
Also I think the tech tree is very nice. I like to specialize as a game setting but maybe historically not yet accurate.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 282
RE: Asking for suggestions - 4/21/2009 4:15:47 AM   
Bombur

-Thank you, Lunaticus.
-The new tech tree will actually allow you some degree of specialization, but, as the cost of gates techs will increase dramatically as the game advances, while the cost of intermediate units was decreased across the board, the attempt to advance too much in a given area (like tanks, for instance) will result in a significant disadvantage in aircraft and ships. On the other hand, the interconnection between air/land/sea was almost eliminated, so you can give some priority to a group of units. I hope it will work. My first impression from playtesting is that this mod offers some advantage over stock as far as realism is of concern.

(in reply to Tufkal2)
Post #: 283
RE: Asking for suggestions - 5/1/2009 5:24:39 PM   
Bombur

Version v1.00 released. Hopefully it will be the definitive version

New features
1-A reworked tech tree for PBEM only files
2-Decreased costs for motorized transports and Zeppelins
3-Many bugs fixed
4-Support for multiple people´s scenarios. This mod will be necessary to play the upcoming Religion wars, but, maybe some changes will be needed for global domination.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 284
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Version 0.99 ready Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI