Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 3/15/2002 1:05:35 PM   
NaKATPase

I found a decent primer for l337-5p34k
(That's literally 'LEET-SPEAK)

[URL=http://www.dur.ac.uk/~d90w9e/l337463.htm]http://www.dur.ac.uk/~d90w9e/l337463.htm[/URL]

Rather well done analysis actually...

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 31
- 3/15/2002 2:08:36 PM   
Bing

I will respectfully refrain. I like our language just the way it is - and wish people would not keep trying to make something out of it that it is not. To each his own - whatever cranks your engine.

Do I doubt correctly this sort of misuse of the language would be accepted in the business world - when communicating with adults, that is?

Welcome to the brave new - verbally challenged - world.

Bing

Post #: 32
- 3/15/2002 7:35:39 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Regarding Leet speak

Nah I have been married 15 years. Leet speak is petty and minor as compared to he said she said.

With leet speak an error in interpretation doesnt have you sitting alone glassy eyed abusing yourself sucessfully and saying "it doesnt really matter, this is ok".;)

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 33
- 3/15/2002 8:36:15 PM   
Antonius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]Regarding Leet speak

Nah I have been married 15 years. Leet speak is petty and minor as compared to he said she said.

With leet speak an error in interpretation doesnt have you sitting alone glassy eyed abusing yourself sucessfully and saying "it doesnt really matter, this is ok".;) [/B][/QUOTE]

I would hate to miss an opportunity to improve my understanding of English. Would you please expalin what "leet speak" is or means ?

And if you wonder who's hiding behind "Antonius", it's just me, i.e. Daniel Gösta Antonius Bottemanne, who at long last has found a use for his peculiar 3rd name.

Wargamo, ergo sum

Post #: 34
gave to me - 3/15/2002 8:45:29 PM   
robot

In 51 in korea after a very long and bitter dog fight. My buddy God Rest His Soul Turned to me and said Dam dont you blink,spit, scream or somethin. that dern bar was jumpin. You looked like a robot. Got around to some others kind of stuck.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

Post #: 35
- 3/15/2002 8:58:54 PM   
Penetrator

Getting past that nickname thingy, which I don't think was the point of this thread, I have found most people on the SPWAW forum to be polite, easygoing, and focused on objective game/war issues. Of course, there have been exceptions. Some other Matrix forums that I sometimes visit (as a sort of self torture I guess) contain a very unhealthy mix of rancorous, offensive and mentally underdeveloped individuals (but a few sound minds also). Based on that I can relate to what drove you off those other forums. But I think we are lucky for the SPWAW forum. As Ford Fairlane said, it is an island of reality in an ocean of diarrhea.

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!

Post #: 36
- 3/15/2002 9:18:54 PM   
Charles2222

Les:
quote:

The US a nation that gave us the word "ain't". Just what is "ain't" a contraction of anyway?

Here's a wild guess. I was thinking that it was a contraction for 'aren't;, then I wondered why it wouldn't be one for 'isn't', and, well, I'm probably wrong but it fits in real well don't it? It's a combination of both 'aren't' and 'isn't' (the 'a' for aren't, the 'i' for isn't). Perhaps it started when people couldn't make up their minds when either 'isn't' or 'aren't' were approprate. Would be wild if I were correct, wouldn't it?

Post #: 37
- 3/15/2002 10:12:59 PM   
challenge

Taking it from the bottom...

Ain't is a contraction for: am not, are not, is not, ; have not, has not; do not, does not, did not. At least I've seen it used in all those instances. It is informal, and originated in Britain, not the US. Ain't was used in Colonial times. (1778 was when it was added to the dictionary.)

Leet Speak is no different than any other form of slang language. It the 60s the hippies had their own venacular, in the 70s -- well we ain't quite sure what they did then. The only languages that do not develop and change in word usage are dead languages (like Latin) and French where the National Language Committee convenes periodically to add "official" new words to counter phrases such as "Le disk drive." If your language is stagnant, how long before the culture follows suit.

My handle comes from some friends who gave it to me when I was street skating in Houston as a means of daily transportation. The figured the play on my last name (Dare) was quite descriptive of my attitude, personality and what it was like dealing with me. :rolleyes: (I don't get the last part, but that's what they said.)

Lastly, (or firstly in the original order) I agree that the people on this site, even when dumping on you, tend to be polite, and friendly. It makes for better discussion and info exchage. I tend to avoid forums where the people just want to flame each other and call it conversation.

Oh, and I like this new format.

Challenge

War is unhealthy for die-stamped cardboard and other paper products.

Post #: 38
- 3/15/2002 10:43:55 PM   
Bing

Daniel Gösta Antonius Bottemanne - that is a wonderful name, I like it better than my own, could I borrow it for a time, I promise to bring it home with a full tank - oops.

Seriously, one does not see resounding names such as yours anymore, congratulations to your parents.

Bing

Post #: 39
- 3/15/2002 11:09:12 PM   
ruxius

Very few exceptions here ..for the most only Excellent people...
A very nice forum this one !
I think I am very lucky to have found here such a plenty of honest friendly humbly nice people !
It has been a lot I am surfing here..I can remember just two or three topics (no more ) where some boring people was criticing the game without constructive purposes...how do you say "whining " all the time...

I am very unhappy I can not speak english enough to understand all the meanings of many posts...I can only translate grammatic but some inner meanings and humorism is prevented to me..
what a pity !
On the other hand I hope people can enjoy my MANGLING Ruxius
you know, Les ?
:D

About my nick it was choosen the first day I decided to join the forum with a sort of ceremony.. :)
since I am a fun of the town where I was born (and I was born in Rome ), Ruxius is the ancient latin translation of my surname that in italian is "Russo".

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

Post #: 40
- 3/15/2002 11:23:45 PM   
Penetrator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by challenge
[B]

... and French where the National Language Committee convenes periodically to add "official" new words to counter phrases such as "Le disk drive." If your language is stagnant, how long before the culture follows suit.

[/B][/QUOTE]

This practice does not make the language stagnant, it simply develops in a different direction than it would otherwise. We do it for icelandic, though it is not official. The development of new words is a national pastime. Examples:

Telephone: Sími;
Television: Sjónvarp;
Helicopter: Þyrla;
Computer: Tölva.

The swedes are thinking of adopting the Tölva.

Post #: 41
- 3/16/2002 12:57:18 AM   
Belisarius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Penetrator
[B]

This practice does not make the language stagnant, it simply develops in a different direction than it would otherwise. We do it for icelandic, though it is not official. The development of new words is a national pastime. Examples:

Telephone: Sími;
Television: Sjónvarp;
Helicopter: Þyrla;
Computer: Tölva.

The swedes are thinking of adopting the Tölva. [/B][/QUOTE]

Damn right we are!

Seriously, I haven't heard these words before, but as Icelandic is one of the coolest languages around, I will from now on call my trusty beige box "Tölva" :D :D :D

I think I'll pick up on the TV and Helicopter as well - Sjónvarp really does sound like it could be a TV in Swedish (with good imagination..) About the Heli word: is that an "f" or a "th" ? Fyrla? Thyrla?

-------

Btw, Antonius: Do you have a bit of Swedish heritage? You really have a nice sounding name, and it's the "Gösta" that caught my attention.

Post #: 42
Back to "that nickname thingy" - 3/16/2002 1:27:03 AM   
Kanon Fodder

Mine comes from playing "Red Baron 3D" online and usually flying as German.

I got shot down a lot ...
:D

Post #: 43
- 3/16/2002 1:39:47 AM   
wulfir

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Penetrator
[B]Getting past that nickname thingy, which I don't think was the point of this thread, I have found most people on the SPWAW forum to be polite, easygoing, and focused on objective game/war issues. Of course, there have been exceptions. Some other Matrix forums that I sometimes visit (as a sort of self torture I guess) contain a very unhealthy mix of rancorous, offensive and mentally underdeveloped individuals (but a few sound minds also). Based on that I can relate to what drove you off those other forums. But I think we are lucky for the SPWAW forum. As Ford Fairlane said, it is an island of reality in an ocean of diarrhea. [/B][/QUOTE]

Dead on target, Penetrator! Could not agree more.

As for my own nickname, lose the first and the two last letters and you get my real first name (which happens to be an old word for wolf). :)

Semper in Primis

Post #: 44
- 3/16/2002 6:26:49 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

This thread certainly has gotten a lot of attention and all of it has been entertaining and positive.

That's a salient feature of my experience here at Matrix for the most part.

In my original post that I began the thread with, the feature of both the originally mentioned forums (which have had absolutely no connection with Matrix whatsoever to the best of my knowledge), was that they both concentrated only on the game in question for each forum respectively; and nothing else.

As a result they failed totally completely and utterly. They were unable to get past their inability to do anything beyond speak of the game in the most anal and insular manner in retrospect.

Matrix on the other hand is a portal to so much beyond just Steel Panthers.

And even in the Steel Panthers forum, the subject matter does not have to revolve exclusively around overly analytical diatribes of rules interpretations.

The oher sites were not helped additionally by the unfortunate reality that while the rules were written in fairly precise english, I was forced to endure the lengthy and tiring rules disputes by people that had no command of the english language worth noting (often by english speaking persons; being foreign is not always required to be confused).

Post #: 45
- 3/16/2002 6:54:36 AM   
Antonius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by challenge
[B]
(...)
French where the National Language Committee convenes periodically to add "official" new words to counter phrases such as "Le disk drive." . [/B][/QUOTE]

French is not as dead as you might think. New words, meanings and expressions pop up all the time and make their way into the leading dictionnaries (Larousse, Robert) according to occurence in newspapers and books and not the decisions of the Académie Française.

Listening to my children is what helps me keep up to date with the latest evolutions ...

However there is an official and IMHO ridiculous effort to protect the French language against foreign (read english) influence. so in admintrative speak many english words were replaced by new French ones. Thus in soccer, a corner became a "coup de pied de coin"... but on all football fields is still and will always be called a corner :)

Wargamo, ergo sum

Post #: 46
- 3/16/2002 6:55:40 AM   
Fuerte

I noticed that this thread has 666 views so I had to fix that.

Post #: 47
- 3/16/2002 6:57:46 AM   
Antonius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bing
[B]Daniel Gösta Antonius Bottemanne - that is a wonderful name, I like it better than my own, could I borrow it for a time, I promise to bring it home with a full tank - oops.

Seriously, one does not see resounding names such as yours anymore, congratulations to your parents.

Bing [/B][/QUOTE]

My older brother met his wife by being called Hermanus Kjell Gerardus: as his name was called out loud at the "bac" exam, it made one of the girls present in the waiting room laugh...

Wargamo, ergo sum

Post #: 48
- 3/16/2002 7:01:17 AM   
tracer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bing
[B]

Aw come on Tracer, I'm not that old and not that out of it. The kids make up their own language and expect us to instantly understand their jargon. When our beautiful language becomes mangled in this fashion, it is difficult for me to cope with same.

Sort of like ... do you know the difference between horse manure and lemons?

Bing [/B][/QUOTE]

The flavor? :D

Just kidding ya Bing. I have a leet speak interpreter: my buddy's 15 year old son Instant Messages me all the time and peppers his speech with what seems a 'new one' every day. I'll be hitting the big four-oh this year so his lessons are starting to come in handy ;)

Jim NSB

Post #: 49
- 3/16/2002 7:12:49 AM   
Antonius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belisarius
[B]

Btw, Antonius: Do you have a bit of Swedish heritage? You really have a nice sounding name, and it's the "Gösta" that caught my attention. [/B][/QUOTE]

50 % ! Har även bott i Stockholm några år när jag var liten (var så god och ursäkta stavfel)

Wargamo, ergo sum

Post #: 50
- 3/16/2002 7:41:53 AM   
challenge

I apologize to those French speakers for not expressing myself adequately... I did not mean that French is a dead language (just the culture :confused: :eek: :D -- not really) I should have added that the idea of attempting to control a living language is doomed to failure. As Antonius pointed out, phrases not officially approved do sneak in regardless. Some think of this as mangling a language, I like to think of it as enriching the language (even French). If this did not happen we would still be speaking in grunts.

Again, I apologize for the misunderstanding, and can only offer that English (US) is not my first language -- baby talk was. :D

Challenge

Post #: 51
- 3/16/2002 8:12:58 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Alas no one knows more about insane levels of French Language protection than someone like myself who was born in Quebec.

I suppose I can sympathise with a culture that feels it is being eaten up by another. But here in Canada if I am goign to teach my son a second language it will not be the dying French Language (dying as in no longer dominant enough to matter dying).

I might think about suggesting here learn Cantonese of Japanese. Considering that these two dialects actually matter by numbers and commercial worth.

The French in Quebec though dont see it that way. They helped found the country and wont have it any other way. Personally I wish the mater could be solved more logically.

Only solution I have come up with to date, is to round up as many guys as possible, invade Quebec and marry up all the current flower of their french female population, and move out of the province. Take away their current generation, and the language will no longer plague us in 20 years.

Anyone wanna marry a French Gal? We have a lot of nice French Girls in Quebec (mom was one heheh).

Post #: 52
- 3/16/2002 8:16:23 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Interesting things a person notices eh.

My sentence ender that I cant seem to get away with "heheh"

Typical french laugh. I might speak english, but I can't that damn province out of my mannerisms hehe.:)

Post #: 53
- 3/16/2002 9:10:29 PM   
challenge

No problem, eh? :p

Old silly joke:

What is the difference between a Canadian and a Broklynite?

The Canadian says: Want a beer, eh?
The Brooklynite says: Eh, want a beer?

I wonder about the French spoken in France versus the language spoken in Quebec. Other than accents and such, have the languages drifted far apart, or do the Quebec (?) (-ers, -ites, -ians) use the same version of the language or do they have their own Speach Police?

Thing is, it seems they don't just want their own language accepted, they want to be a whole different country!

I like all the French girls I've met so far, although my exposure has been limited. Do they do mail order brides from Quebec? Do we have to pay import taxes or is it covered under NAFTA?

;)

Challenge

Post #: 54
- 3/17/2002 6:04:19 AM   
Penetrator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belisarius
[B]
I will from now on call my trusty beige box "Tölva" :D :D :D

I think I'll pick up on the TV and Helicopter as well - Sjónvarp really does sound like it could be a TV in Swedish (with good imagination..) About the Heli word: is that an "f" or a "th" ? Fyrla? Thyrla?
[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh my, you can't imagine how warm you made my heart by taking interest in my little language, chilled as it is from this darn winter.

"Tölva" is of course a wholly remarkable word. It is derived from "Völva", meaning female soothsayer. The T comes from "tala" meaning number. So it is a soothsayer in numbers.

Þyrla = Thyrla. It means "Whirler" - roughly.

Sjónvarp: "Sjón" = vision, "varp" = roughly broadcast, or rather simply "cast". So in english it would be "Visioncast".

Sími: It is an archaic word meaning string or rope, dead in its proper meaning for a long time. It has been given a new lease of life this way.

Some more:

Machine: Vél. It is a semi-archaic word meaning trickery or bad magic. How can a machine make things move? Why, by magic of course.

Laser: Leysir. From leysa = release. It refers to the way electrons are released inside the emitter.

Finally, my favorite word: "Ha".
You say it when you don't understand something, like "what". Unlike "what", it has no other meaning, is much easier to say, and less pointed. Often used when you just want a bit more time to think or give the other person a chance to clarify himself.

Post #: 55
- 3/17/2002 11:06:02 PM   
parusski

I picked up my user name the old fashioned way-in college. I was studying political science, planning to work for the CIA upon graduation. A requirement at that time was two years of Russian as a foreign language. So, when in 1995 I joined AOL and needed a user name I chose the most obvious. Parusski means russian in Russian. I thought I was being cute with that at the time. Now I cannot give it up.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 56
- 3/18/2002 1:22:24 AM   
V-man

[QUOTE]Originally posted by parusski
[B]"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."-
William Tecumseh Sherman[/B][/QUOTE]

Do you have the quote, I think from Sherman, about reports of disaster? I'm desparately trying to find that...

"You see, in this world there's 2 kinds of people, my friend:
Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Post #: 57
- 3/18/2002 6:27:55 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I suppose the most significant thing about this post is what I originally said and what is currently being discussed heheh:)

Post #: 58
- 3/18/2002 7:46:02 AM   
parusski

V-man I am sorry, but I can't find that quote either.

Les, your original post is just like a rumor. Once it gets going the story morphs. It's an interesting thread though.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 59
- 3/18/2002 10:42:27 AM   
troopie

Sarge,

If you want rude varketjies go to the Art of Wargaming forum, or the Militarygameronline forum "Nobody asked me but'" or the Yahoo Zimbabwe news forum. On the last, you will find the rudest, most bigotted, most ignorant [I]Homo ignorans[/I] you will ever want to avoid.

On THIS forum, politeness and topicality is enforced with the firing squad. We are all here because of SPWAW (the best WW2 game ever made) and because our shared interest in military tactics and history.

BION there are people on the Art of Wargaming forum who don't wargame. It seems strange to me.

troopie

Pamwe Chete

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI