Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What everyone should have in their library of games.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/10/2008 8:51:11 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

Woah, I did not hear that about GW (and I haven't played in a while). You don't have to pay for Hard mode, do you?

SoM

Lol nope you still don't have to pay financially, but, you will pay mentally as ALL the mobs in ANY zone are 20+ levels and some are over 30+. ;) It takes longer to get a drop in hard mode because it takes much longer to kill the mobs in hard mode IF you can kill them at all. I hope you have "Nightfall" I want to hear about your experiences vs the RAIN OF TERRORS in the REALM OF TORMENT playing HARD MODE hahaha. And you must play it with heroes and henchies. :)

You are aware of the HEROES we now get right? (came with the Nightfall chapter) You get 3 henchies of class types of your choice mostly more or less you can deck out with skills and equipment and you can even control them to a degree. I can stomp most of the entire game (3 chapters and expansion GWEN) with just myself and my 3 heroes in normal mode. Too bad the drops suck so pathetically cause it's no fun stomping things if you don't get anything for it. I run a pack of necros with one monk. Man it is stomping goodness. Sometimes I toss one of the necros and bring an elementalist just for a change.

Also, they have added a TON of GRIND to the game, you know the CASUAL FRIENDLY game that they said would be SKILL > TIME hahah welp that didn't last long. Basically since Factions grind has been added to the game and now it's almost pure grind to get to the good stuffs. Can't wait for GW2 ;)

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 31
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/10/2008 9:01:31 PM   
V22 Osprey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Balthazar Gerards

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

quote:

Ravinhood is almost allways right,

And Star wars battlefront 2 was made as 3rd Person shooter so actually I wasnt off topic.It is not a FPS.

Well, that may be but that was not my point. My point was the way you express yourself.
Maybe I shouldn't make that remark about Ravinhood being almost allways right (in mine opinion), I just wanted to let you know that he's quite a character (I think) and that you should take that into consideration before you lose yourself in to ranting.

quote:

Now you have made me pissed off.

I'm sorry to hear that. I could offer you my apologies, but instead I think I'm gonna use it as an example bout what I meant about the way you express your emotions.

quote:

You dont have to call someone a name to be an a*shole.

You are right about that. On the other hand: I prefer an a*shole who doesn't call names anytime over an a*shole who does.

EDIT: Apologies to the other thread readers and writers for going off topic. I realize I shouldn't have done so.

ZAP: I should have read your posts more carefully; you allready own FoF, I'm wondering whether you like it. To me the mix of strategy and tactical battles is very engrossing.

Look.I dont want to fight with ravinhood.But he shouldn't just crack'in jokes all over the place.They aren't funny.I like to be friends wth ravin but he odviously doesn't want to so.....

(in reply to Balthazar Gerards)
Post #: 32
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/10/2008 9:15:53 PM   
Zakhal

Here is som:

RPG

Betrayal at krondor
Betrayal at Antara
Return to krondor
Ultima underworld 1 & 2
Arx fatalis
Gold box series
Dark sun series
Baldurs gate series
Neverwinter night series
Ultima series
Elder scrolls series
Wasteland
Fallout series
Spellforce series
Gothic series
Might & magic series
Heroes of might magic series
Divine divinity
Wizardry 8
Arachronox
Two worlds

Horror

Silent hill series

Sims

Falcon 4 original (just for the 400+ page printed falcon bibles)
Falcon 4 allied force
Janes Longbow 2 (janes manuals and extra guides)
Janes F15
Janes F18
Janes USNF'97
Dangerous waters + 700 page printed manual
Silent hunter 3 + mod
Silent hunter 4 + addon

Scifi

Wing commander series (+mods)
Starlancer
Freelancer (+mods)
Privateer series (+mods)
X-series
Universal combat CE
Star wolves
I-war series
Xwing series (enhanced versions)
Freespace series
Mechwarrior series
Eerthsiege series
MissionForce: Cyberstorm (mech spwaw)

Pre-ww1

Distant guns

Theres more but Ill stop here.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 4/10/2008 9:22:18 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 33
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/10/2008 9:16:22 PM   
ravinhood

Now he doesn't like my JOKES?! Well I nevah! ;) Oh and if you want to be my friend then put a lil  in front of my name after your name in your next post. ;)

IE: V22Osprey to Ravinhoods superiority. ;)

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 4/10/2008 9:24:18 PM >

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 34
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/10/2008 9:48:32 PM   
V22 Osprey

I said I wanted to be your friend not your slave.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 35
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/10/2008 9:57:31 PM   
marcusm

The word childish comes to my mind.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 36
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/10/2008 10:41:16 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: marcusm

The word childish comes to my mind.

Oh and playing games all the time isn't childish Marcusm? ;) Let's see what does that book say? "Put thy childish ways behind you" and "cleave unto thy spouse" and "honor thy father and thy mother"? ;) Sorry, but, there's a bit of a "child" in all of us and so acting childish like SOMEONE'S I know is just "normal" though maybe autistic behavior. ;)

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 37
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/10/2008 10:43:45 PM   
V22 Osprey

quote:

Oh and playing games all the time isn't childish Marcusm?

For ONCE I agree with you.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 38
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/10/2008 10:44:17 PM   
Gem35

People's court, I gotta watch people's court.....
judge wapner...judge wapner... people's court...

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 39
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/10/2008 10:59:09 PM   
PunkReaper

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 40
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/11/2008 12:42:46 AM   
panzers

Basically, I play two games. Anything WWII, and there are a lot, and my lone MMORPG in WoW. $15.95 a month is all I will ever pay for any online games. That one has enough mods and bells and whistles to keep me plenty occupied.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 41
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/11/2008 1:11:57 AM   
Mac67

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mac67

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap
Other Catgagories What else should be considered.

Grand Theft Auto:San Andreas. The most fun I have had on a pc that didn't involve naked girls

How the hell do you win that car jumping contest with the mexicans? I can't get past that part damnit! lol I wish they would just keep it to shooting and chasing I can do ok in those, but, these damn car hoppings and dancing steps and stupid stuff like that are rediculous. I had the same problem in Vice City when I got to the model helicopter mission. I never got past that one. lol I just want to shoot and scoot not play dancing king or remote control helicopters. :)

Just got up to that bit, so I will let you know when I'm past it

I like those little touch's, kinda sucks you in to the whole atmosphere of the game. Been a long time since I have come across a game that you can completley lose yourself in.

"If you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

The Rose and Crown, a forum for British Gentlemen

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 42
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/11/2008 1:37:51 AM   
V22 Osprey

Guys,we really need to think harder about this.I'm serious,we're talkin only 2 GAMES for the rest of your life.

Of Course for me SPWAW is 1#

But I think for my second I'll have re-think it over.

(in reply to Mac67)
Post #: 43
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/11/2008 1:42:25 AM   
cdbeck

BTW, that lowrider hydraulics part in GTA:SA is a real pain in the rear (especially since you HAVE to finish it and it is a nice drive to get to the car and then the spot). You basically have to time the jumping for when the little arrow is directly in the middle of the circle (take some pretty good reflexes). I would say that it MIGHT be easier with a controller (which is quite counter to the rest of the game, where keyboard and mouse are easier). It will tell you if you are too early or too late. I did it like 4 times before I got it. Luckily, after than and the OG Loc dance mission, that sort of thing is optional for a good while.

BTW, although you Zap said no FPS, I would recommend two "horror-survival" FPS:
System Shock 2 (now with some awesome mods and player made scenarios)
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (more of an FP adventure game with guns and jumping than an FPS).

V22 - I think this is the wrong thread...

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Mac67)
Post #: 44
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/11/2008 1:50:15 AM   
Erik Rutins

I recently tried Sword of the Stars + the Born in Blood expansion based on recommendations in this forum and I have to say that my impressions that I had from the demo were totally wrong. This is definitely (with Born in Blood and fully updated) the best 4x space game I have played in a long while. I like GalCiv and Sins, but IMHO this is far better (and is a "wargamer's game", if you know what I mean). If you like Sci-Fi strategy, definitely pick this up. You may want to wait to get the new Collector's Edition, which is right around the corner.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 45
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/11/2008 1:53:00 AM   
Mac67

quote:

BTW, that lowrider hydraulics part in GTA:SA is a real pain in the rear (especially since you HAVE to finish it and it is a nice drive to get to the car and then the spot). You basically have to time the jumping for when the little arrow is directly in the middle of the circle (take some pretty good reflexes). I would say that it MIGHT be easier with a controller (which is quite counter to the rest of the game, where keyboard and mouse are easier). It will tell you if you are too early or too late. I did it like 4 times before I got it. Luckily, after than and the OG Loc dance mission, that sort of thing is optional for a good while.

4 times? Ok now I have a target to beat

Most games of that ilk have a arsey bit you have to get past. The rest of it is cool. I can live with it.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 46
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/11/2008 2:27:02 AM   
marcusm

Awesome. Someone actually listened to my recommendations :D.

Though based on Eriks recommendations it seems i have to get the expansion hehe.

(in reply to Mac67)
Post #: 47
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/11/2008 3:29:38 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

Guys,we really need to think harder about this.I'm serious,we're talkin only 2 GAMES for the rest of your life.

Of Course for me RAVINHOOD is 1#

Lol I just couldn't resist. He left it wide open. ;)

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 48
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/11/2008 4:24:20 AM   
Mac67

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

quote:

Of Course for me RAVINHOOD is 1#

Lol I just couldn't resist. He left it wide open. ;)

Awww shame on you!

Now I have visions of you sitting on your front lawn in your rocking chair shaking your walking stick at kid's passing by for breathing to loud.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 49
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/11/2008 6:09:35 AM   
cdbeck

WOOHOO! Erik converted to the SotS crowd! I knew that you would love it Erik, with the games here and the conversations that we have had. I really feel like Sword of the Stars is, as you said, the real wargamers 4X. It is all about ship tactics and long term wartime goals, sort of like having Advanced Tactics merged with the tactical battles of Panzer Command. Welcome to the cult of Kerberos! Their upcoming game, Northstar, should also be watched. It is going to be a turn-based space trade and exploration sim, a la Starflight and the like. Should be a blast!

SoM

(in reply to Mac67)
Post #: 50
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/12/2008 4:34:07 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

WOOHOO! Erik converted to the SotS crowd! I knew that you would love it Erik, with the games here and the conversations that we have had. I really feel like Sword of the Stars is, as you said, the real wargamers 4X. It is all about ship tactics and long term wartime goals, sort of like having Advanced Tactics merged with the tactical battles of Panzer Command. Welcome to the cult of Kerberos! Their upcoming game, Northstar, should also be watched. It is going to be a turn-based space trade and exploration sim, a la Starflight and the like. Should be a blast!

You know, the demo nearly made me miss a fantastic Sci-Fi game - I'm very glad you and the others here recommended it so highly. I don't have much time to play it, but what time I have had has been a blast. Really an outstanding game and deserves much more attention.

What is this "AMOC" I see mentioned as a possible future expansion on their forums?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 51
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/12/2008 6:13:50 PM   
cdbeck

Kerberos is one of the most mysterious developers I know. When Born of Blood was being developed, they released just tiny bits of info, "leaked" screenshots, and small little breadcrumbs to the forum. The same is being done with AMOC, the presumably the next SotS expansion. So I couldn't really answer what it will be or what it will contain. Probably a new race, perhaps the "ancients" that created the Von Neumman probes and the Zuul.

If you haven't had a chance, read the backstory stuff (they are sticked on the forums) written by Arinn Denbo. She is a pretty awesome fantasy and sci-fi writer, so their stories are very well thought out.

Also, check out the Northstar forum, there is some good stuff there.

SoM

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 52
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/13/2008 9:09:06 PM   
SlickWilhelm

Well, at the risk of sounding like an old fart, here are my recommendations if you want the BEST games I've played no matter how old:

Sci-Fi:

X-COM: UFO Defense. Gets my vote as the best computer game EVER, which is saying a lot since I'm not that into Sci-Fi. Very old, though. Circa 1993.

Pre-WWII:

Guns of August - Excellent strategic game, loads of replay value.

Age of Rifles - Outstanding turn-based game set in the period when the rifle was king of the battlefield.

John Tiller's Battleground Series - His Napoleonic and American Civil War games are classics.

Other catagories:

Jagged Alliance 2 - A completely original and hilariously entertaining squad-based tactical game. You hire a band of mercenaries, each with a unique personality, and send them on a very long mission to overthrow a brutal female dictator. The voice acting in this game is fantastic, and the dialog is very, very funny. Lots of cool weapons to find and use, too. A one-of-a-kind classic.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 53
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/13/2008 9:16:16 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

X-COM: UFO Defense. Gets my vote as the best computer game EVER, which is saying a lot since I'm not that into Sci-Fi. Very old, though. Circa 1993.

Talking of which, by far the closest version to the original (it's pretty much a straight port, graphics n' all) is the free Pocket UFO for Pocket PC, should you happen to have one.

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 54
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 5/24/2008 5:53:47 AM   
Zap

After, everyone's opinion I went out and bought Oblivion and Galactic II. After many many weeks of waiting finally my graphics card software problem was fixed. And by no less MS support.A technician came in remotely to my computer(as I watched him expertly move through mess). So I'll have to give them credit where credit is due.

But now to my question. Oblivion wants to hang up and freeze.
1) the game suggests 800/600 graphics. My desktop set up 1280/1024 is that the problem?
Even though it seems when I start the game it atomatically goes to 800/600

2) Or is the problem that I'm missing a patch?

3)Or should the anti-virus be turned off while playing?

All system requirments are met by my computer. The game box says that ATI 9800 series is a suppoted video card(which is what I have.

Any suggestions, observations. I love to play the game but I'm only able to get out of the jail cell then the game freezes

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 55
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 5/24/2008 6:01:57 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Sci-Fi-  Galciv2                                            Role Playing:  Heros of might and magic (series)

WW2:  War in the Pacific

Pre WW1:  Forge of Freedom

Others:  Combat Mission(series) and EU2.  Last but not least SPwaw-generals addition.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 56
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 5/24/2008 7:09:20 PM   
Hertston

Missed one, which I only bought recently from the bargain bin but which has obsessed me for a fortnight - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Best shooter I've ever played, and I've played most supposed to be worth playing. Both the game world and the actual fighting stuff are just incredible.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 57
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 5/25/2008 10:46:56 AM   
Zap

I answered my own question about Oblivion IV. Went over to gamespot saw the test on vidoe cards. Although mine is supported its way at the bottom of the list in results.
What did you get me into? A more powerful vidoe card needed! And if I'm going to do that makes sense to get a more powerful processor.$$$

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 58
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 5/25/2008 12:21:20 PM   
Widell

There you go. Never underestimate the magnitude of mistakes made by people in large groups.... 

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 59
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 5/29/2008 7:49:26 PM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Been playing strictly WWII. I want to diversify.

You said it well Herston. " Post WW2 is far more fun."

I've been getting so much enjoyment from the post war games. Been palying Gal CivII.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI