Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Arrrggghhh!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Arrrggghhh! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Arrrggghhh! - 3/23/2002 7:52:33 AM   
Kanon Fodder

When you decide to accept "Opportunity Fire" for one of your SAS Squads vs. Italian Sentry from one hex away and it uses up your [COLOR=red]only[/COLOR] satchel charge that you needed to blow up the ammo dump (which you were all set to do next turn)

And it doesn't even kill the bar steward ...

:mad:

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 31
- 3/24/2002 11:18:07 PM   
Greg McCarty

;) Dontcha just hate it when...

Your waltzing across open ground with several heavy tanks;
completely convinced that you currently outclass any vehicle
the enemy has left on the ground; you smugly approach a long
sought-after objective hex.... and suddenly out of nowhere some lousey hidden 3.7 CM AA opens up at close range and tears the tracks right off the lead vehicle. You've barely recovered from that when a second heavy takes an AT mine from some
beat-up squad you rolled past, and loses the engine.

Its like in chess.... --never lead with the queen.

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 32
- 3/24/2002 11:39:38 PM   
parusski

Bernie-LOL. That is great. Playing at 4 am, spilling the milk. All sounds familiar to me too. Of course with slightly different events leading up to the ruining of my key board and my wife angry at seeing me playing the game AGAIN.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 33
- 3/25/2002 4:05:45 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by parusski
[B]Bernie-LOL. That is great. Playing at 4 am, spilling the milk. All sounds familiar to me too. Of course with slightly different events leading up to the ruining of my key board and my wife angry at seeing me playing the game AGAIN. [/B][/QUOTE]

One of the reasons I live alone these days. :)

Of course, the cat [I]still[/I] hates it when I leap to my feet cussing and swearing as my AA crews stand around gawking at the plane that just wiped out an entire company...

What, me worry?

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 34
- 3/25/2002 5:15:26 AM   
nelmsm1

Actually I hate it when my cat decides to snuggle with me while I'm playing and plops down on the keyboard before I can swat it away. I hate to describe the things that can happen to your carefully laid plans then. Of course the cat could care less and really doesn't understand the the language I am using when talking to her is not suitable for the children to hear.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 35
- 3/25/2002 5:32:11 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nelmsm
[B]Actually I hate it when my cat decides to snuggle with me while I'm playing and plops down on the keyboard before I can swat it away. I hate to describe the things that can happen to your carefully laid plans then. Of course the cat could care less and really doesn't understand the the language I am using when talking to her is not suitable for the children to hear. [/B][/QUOTE]

Obviously your cat is an enemy guerilla in a fur coat...

What, me worry?

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 36
Re: Re: Don't ya just hate it when..... - 3/25/2002 8:22:33 PM   
SIdeslip

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mojo
[B]

That one freaking T 34 takes 6 hits from two Tigers 4 hexes away and then kills both Tigers with one shot a piece on the next turn.:eek:

My T34s can't do that. [/B][/QUOTE]

I have just sent a turn back to my opponent where my Tiger hoved into view and fired 3 shots into a T34 and failed even to get them to button up! My other Tiger got it's main gun knocked out too before he could fire. I bet my Tigers are smoking heaps by the next turn. GRRRRRRRR!

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 37
I can see it... - 3/26/2002 12:48:12 AM   
Belisarius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SIdeslip
[B]

I have just sent a turn back to my opponent where my Tiger hoved into view and fired 3 shots into a T34 and failed even to get them to button up! My other Tiger got it's main gun knocked out too before he could fire. I bet my Tigers are smoking heaps by the next turn. GRRRRRRRR! [/B][/QUOTE]

Can you picture that scene?

A field somewhere on the eastern front, slowly waving in the wind. It's a sunny day. There's a few T-34's with crews taking a relaxed break in the shadows of a few trees on one side of the field, enjoying a cigarette or a sip of..ehm... "water".

Suddenly, a Tiger breaks cover from the other side of the field, and starts heading for the group of T-34's. It fires *boom* direct hit, then quick twice more *boom-klonk* *boom-klonk*. The dust settles, and the T-34 commander slowly lights another cigarette.

"-the fascists seem pretty anxious today, da?"

The crew slowly turns the turret around, bearing the sights on the Tiger... :D :D :D

Got StuG?

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 38
Re: I can see it... - 3/26/2002 4:30:44 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belisarius
[B]

A field somewhere on the eastern front, slowly waving in the wind. It's a sunny day. There's a few T-34's with crews taking a relaxed break in the shadows of a few trees on one side of the field, enjoying a cigarette or a sip of..ehm... "water".

Suddenly, a Tiger breaks cover from the other side of the field, and starts heading for the group of T-34's. It fires *boom* direct hit, then quick twice more *boom-klonk* *boom-klonk*. The dust settles, and the T-34 commander slowly lights another cigarette.

The crew slowly turns the turret around, bearing the sights on the Tiger... :D :D :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Or... "Igor, get the door... Someone is knocking..."

What, me worry?

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 39
- 3/26/2002 2:56:22 PM   
Bernie

...when your AA crews [B]FINALLY[/B] hit something...and the wreckage lands on your HQ and wipes it out.

I swear, those guys [I]planned[/I] that!

What, me worry?

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 40
Re: I can see it... - 3/26/2002 3:09:30 PM   
Mojo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belisarius
[B]

The crew slowly turns the turret around, bearing the sights on the Tiger... :D :D :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Spit take! Well done my friend. That's a rarity :D

*boom-klonk* Maybe I should change my nickname.

If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 41
Re: Re: Re: Don't ya just hate it when..... - 3/26/2002 3:13:41 PM   
Mojo

[B]

I have just sent a turn back to my opponent where my Tiger hoved into view and fired 3 shots into a T34 and failed even to get them to button up! My other Tiger got it's main gun knocked out too before he could fire. I bet my Tigers are smoking heaps by the next turn. GRRRRRRRR! [/B][/QUOTE]

I also don't get the fact that a crew can get one shot kills at 20 hexes and yet miss totally at two from ambush.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 42
- 3/26/2002 8:18:33 PM   
peter hellman

When playing LV and AO Vebber, leading the troops from a secured position, totally intact, gets totally wiped out in one artillery barriage!:mad:

"If you want to live in peace, you have to prepare for war" - Adolf Ehrnrooth

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 43
- 3/26/2002 10:35:17 PM   
AbsntMndedProf

. . . when you have a nice, juicy Cromwell in your Tiger's sites, and your 88 mm malfunctions on its first shot! (Just happened to me in 'Wittmann's Gamble'. :rolleyes:

Eric Maietta

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 44
Re: Re: Re: Re: Don't ya just hate it when..... - 3/26/2002 11:35:36 PM   
Larry Holt

[B]

I also don't get the fact that a crew can get one shot kills at 20 hexes and yet miss totally at two from ambush. [/B][/QUOTE]
Its all based on probability. The crew may have had time for a leisurely track & shot at long range but gotten nervous at being close to a target with little time to track it.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 45
- 3/27/2002 7:43:23 PM   
SIdeslip

Reference: Tigers vrs T34's

Just for the record, the 34's bought it. The Devil tried to vomit in my kettle....and missed.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 46
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Don't ya just hate it when..... - 3/27/2002 8:00:27 PM   
Mojo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Larry Holt
[B]
Its all based on probability. The crew may have had time for a leisurely track & shot at long range but gotten nervous at being close to a target with little time to track it. [/B][/QUOTE]

Not my crews. Iron discipline and singleminded purpose. Focus and dedication or I'll have them flogged! :mad:

I guess it's just buck-fever:D

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 47
- 3/27/2002 8:07:26 PM   
Mojo

[B]Reference: Tigers vrs T34's

Just for the record, the 34's bought it. The Devil tried to vomit in my kettle....and missed. [/B][/QUOTE]

An interesting image but the meaning is a little fuzzy to me. What's that mean :confused:

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 48
- 3/27/2002 10:41:20 PM   
tracer

[B]

An interesting image but the meaning is a little fuzzy to me. What's that mean :confused: [/B][/QUOTE]

As a young-un in New Jersey we used to say someone 's**t in my cereal/corn flakes'...it meant 'ruined my day'. I guess Webster's never added that analogy to their list ;)

Jim NSB

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 49
- 3/27/2002 11:19:49 PM   
nelmsm1

[QUOTE][QUOTE]As a young-un in New Jersey we used to say someone 's**t in my cereal/corn flakes'...it meant 'ruined my day'. I guess Webster's never added that analogy to their list [/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
LOL, we always said someone had p****d in our Post Toasties.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 50
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Don't ya just hate it when..... - 3/27/2002 11:57:06 PM   
Larry Holt

[B]

Not my crews. Iron discipline and singleminded purpose. Focus and dedication or I'll have them flogged! :mad:

I guess it's just buck-fever:D [/B][/QUOTE]

And take note, the floggings will continue until morale improves!

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 51
- 3/28/2002 1:49:14 AM   
SIdeslip

Tracer has provided an alternative analogy which others may understand. Thanks.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 52
- 3/28/2002 2:07:00 AM   
Mojo

[B]Tracer has provided an alternative analogy which others may understand. Thanks. [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh. I thought you were saying that the haggis fell in your lap:D

If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 53
- 3/28/2002 2:22:46 AM   
tracer

[B]Tracer has provided an alternative analogy which others may understand. Thanks. [/B][/QUOTE]

Granted, it has lost some of its charm in the colonial translation ;)

Jim NSB

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 54
Re: Don't ya just hate it when..... - 3/30/2002 7:44:26 AM   
Jackk

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sg
[B]In MC-W, you're creeping through the jungle 1 or 2 hexes at a time, being really careful, and your best infantry unit walks right into 2 enemy squads and gets wiped out without firing a single shot! Man, I hate when that happens!:mad: But I keep coming back for more.:D This game has earned a permanent spot on my hdd.

Well, back to the jungle.
Steve.

Anybody else got a favorite "Don't ya hate it when..."? [/B][/QUOTE]

I hate that one alot.
But I have another....probably more annoying.

I find a new opponent. We set up something...agree to year, sides, points, options. All goes well.
I spend an hour pouring over the unit list, comparing it to the map....looking for what I'll need to accomplish the objective. I buy units, delete units, buy 'em again in another order, buy some more. I balance, I splurge, I skimp. I set up what I think is a reasonable force. Something along the lines of a coy of infantry, a section of tanks, 2 mortars....maybe 75's if I feel hoppy. Or maybe a platoon of tanks....but because I splurged on those then I won't get the 75's or heavy mortars or ammo carriers. I do without something. Needless to say I probably go leaner than alot of people. I do this for 3 coys...or maybe 2...depends on the points.
Anyway, after all that....when I get to deploy, well, that's another hour there as I agonize over just where to place stuff...."hmm...these can support those, and those can support those other those...can't leave that out there, better put those up front" ..and on and on until I feel like I've made good decisions and I'm as prepared as I'm gonna get.

Then....the battle starts. I lay smoke, I creep through trees, I start probing attacks.....

5 turns later my tanks are aflame, my trucks blown up, infantry shredded, guns broke, everything suppressed.....why?

Because my noble opponent has spent 3 minutes buying 10 platoons of Tigers and Panthers...maybe some assault guns for good measure....loaded them up with SS and spec ops infantry....supported them with 120 and 150 arty and just flat steamrolled my ***.

I hate it when that happens.

And yeah, I know I could have saved myself some grief by asking before hand if they are that type of player, but sometimes I just expect people to be reasonable. Sometimes I'm a bit naive.

Jackk "Smile today cuz tomorrow may really suck"

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 55
Re: Re: Don't ya just hate it when..... - 3/30/2002 8:57:14 AM   
tracer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jackk
[B]

And yeah, I know I could have saved myself some grief by asking before hand if they are that type of player, but sometimes I just expect people to be reasonable. Sometimes I'm a bit naive. [/B][/QUOTE]

Two words: pre-game negotiations. I've been in the same boat so many times I always make it a point to lay out some ground rules and welcome my opponent to suggest others. One biggie is limiting off-board arty, usually to one battery or even on-board only.

Jim NSB

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 56
- 3/30/2002 8:20:53 PM   
Propagandas

Even better the opponet just has 15 sections of Strike Elements...:D :cool:

RAndom Variables

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 57
- 3/30/2002 8:28:02 PM   
ksuguy

What I really hate is when I'm playing a pacific battle against the computer and I move a tank into the LOS of some Japanese infanty. They will then spend half an hour shooting harmless rifle fire at the tank from several hexes away. And of course every squad has to fire 5 or 6 times. It makes a scenario that should last half an hour last 2 hours. :mad:

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 58
- 4/15/2002 10:51:17 AM   
hellcat

or... when ur halfway thru a campaign and a few turns into a scenario thinking 'hmm... I've really bought all the wrong units with my support points' decide to go back and you've overwrote your previous save... doh! A good lesson in 'making do' I'm sure purists will agree...

or...when you're playing the Stalingrad campaign in that evil scenario over open ground and everything is getting shot to pieces by 37mm AAA guns and just in the penultimate turn after a LOT of hard won fighting you're ready to spring onto the Victory hexes in the final turn, you end the turn and the game ends early with a draw ... grrrrr

and there'll be more I'm sure!

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 59
- 4/15/2002 10:48:08 PM   
Larry Holt

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ksuguy
[B]What I really hate is when I'm playing a pacific battle against the computer and I move a tank into the LOS of some Japanese infanty. They will then spend half an hour shooting harmless rifle fire at the tank from several hexes away. And of course every squad has to fire 5 or 6 times. It makes a scenario that should last half an hour last 2 hours. :mad: [/B][/QUOTE]
If you set the message display (?) time in preferences to 0 there are no messages displayed and it goes very fast. Also I have *heard* that you can start the game with mech.exe /impatient switch and only the first slot is shown firing, but I have not tried it.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Arrrggghhh! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI