Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/16/2008 7:51:17 PM   
panzers

As I said in an earlier post to this thread and all you guys did was re-enforcing it it: Bill Gates is officially on my a-hole list

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 31
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/16/2008 9:03:27 PM   
invernomuto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

you can use up to 16gb of RAM with Vista, which of course loves to waste it.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 32
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/18/2008 6:43:43 AM   
sabre1

I bought a new custom built system with Vista Ultimate 64 bit, and I get to bring it home tomorrow.

May the good Lord have mercy on my soul, for what I have wrought upon myself...

--/----1

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 33
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/18/2008 9:23:32 AM   
panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1

I bought a new custom built system with Vista Ultimate 64 bit, and I get to bring it home tomorrow.

May the good Lord have mercy on my soul, for what I have wrought upon myself...

--/----1

Sympathies granted.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 34
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/19/2008 10:44:43 AM   
sabre1

Well so far so good.  At least it's running. 

Of course I haven't tried running some of my older games, such as JTCS, SPWAW, COI....

This is my first new system in 8 years.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 35
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/20/2008 4:43:07 AM   
Arctic Blast

quote:

Well so far so good. At least it's running.

Of course I haven't tried running some of my older games, such as JTCS, SPWAW, COI....

This is my first new system in 8 years.

Hey, sabre, I just got my new system last week, and am also new to Vista...also curious to see how older stuff works.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 36
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/20/2008 6:25:27 PM   
sabre1

Artic Blast,

Good name for where you are from...

I actually like the interface of Vista so far.  Things seem to run faster as far as doing work. Games have been a mixed bag, and I have had problems doing multiplayer stuff, which I 'm not sure if it is due to Vista, my system (ram, mobo).

I bought Advanced Warfighter 2.  My son in college likes that game and wanted me to play with him.  You can do the campaign coop.  Game would freeze or dump me.  Now from what I can tell that game is rather problematic in mp mode. Warfighter appears to play fine in single player mode. 

Sins of a Solar Empire gave me the screen of blue death, but that happened after 4 hours of nonstop playing, and I have had lots of games in my lifetime freeze up from time to time, so I'm not sure what that means.

I have "read" that Call of Duty 4 is pretty solid for MP, as well as GEARS of War, so my son and I may have to try that.  I have "read" that they both have coop MP modes.

I tried to make sure that I put together a powerful system for this pig of an operating system, to help insure there would not be any problems, or at least to help mitigate them. 

This is the current system:  Vista 64 bit ultimate, Cpu Quad 6600, Envision 24" monitor,  8 GB ram, 9800 x2 graphics card EVGA, Mobo 780i EVGA, 850 power supply, topped off in a coolmaster cosmos case.  I didn't want to think about another system for another 8 years, and the case, hopefully will allow me to upgrade when necessary, at least for the foreseeable future...

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 37
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/21/2008 3:03:28 AM   
Arctic Blast

Wow, you went a little higher end than I did. I got the Intel E8400 3.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, Geforce 8800GTS, Coolermaster CM690 case, 750W power supply, 4 GB 1066 Mhz memory, Vista 32 bit.

I have read that 64-bit Vista, as it currently stands, has had more issues with older software than the 32-bit version, which is part of the reason I picked the 32. So far, so good. Haven't really tried any online play yet, though.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 38
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/21/2008 5:41:35 AM   
Gem35

you have a cadillac that is running like a bicycle using vista

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 39
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/21/2008 3:51:52 PM   
sabre1

I agree Gem35.  I guess I just keep thinking that Vista will eventually get sorted out.  I know stupid thought.  I went with 64 bit simply because I also assumed everything would get there and I hate upgrading.  It is proving problematic. 

In terms of work, I actually like Vista, and it has proved relatively painless, but games are another issue... If I had a serious contender for another OS that ran my stuff reliably (I know XP) I would switch in a heartbeat, but there really isn't anything.  I do "need" to stay somewhat up with technology just to maintain my marketability. There have been serveal interviews where that was a deciding factor/edge for being hired. Anway, I digress.

Vista is horrible, there I said it...I feel better now...My therapist tells me that is the first step toward recovery...

--/----1

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 40
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/21/2008 8:38:12 PM   
panzers

quote:

I agree Gem35.  I guess I just keep thinking that Vista will eventually get sorted out.  I know stupid thought.  I went with 64 bit simply because I also assumed everything would get there and I hate upgrading.  It is proving problematic. 

In terms of work, I actually like Vista, and it has proved relatively painless, but games are another issue... If I had a serious contender for another OS that ran my stuff reliably (I know XP) I would switch in a heartbeat, but there really isn't anything.  I do "need" to stay somewhat up with technology just to maintain my marketability. There have been serveal interviews where that was a deciding factor/edge for being hired. Anway, I digress.

Vista is horrible, there I said it...I feel better now...My therapist tells me that is the first step toward recovery...

--/----1

lol. It could be worse. I just bought a $40 game and it is unplayable and another one on the way which I am going to refuse because of that. (the DLL zip file, it will not download for me)

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 41
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/22/2008 12:55:18 AM   
sullafelix

I'm strickly a gamer and I've had no problems with vista or ME for that matter. I never found an app or a game that wouldn't work. Was I just extremely lucky or are you people talking about work programs? There are some issues with Vista that are a hassle to begin with ( running most programs as admin etc. ) but beyond that no major problems. I know at my job a lot of guys were upset that we changed to Vista and some have had there comps put back to XP, but that was because a lot of the software that they use was and isn't going to be made Vista compatible. Seeing that these are $1000 and up programs, I put the blame on the software maker not vista.If I payed $ 10,000 for a program and also bought a tech support contract, to be told your out of luck put back XP is ridiculous.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 42
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/22/2008 1:05:45 AM   
Joram

So far the only game I haven't been able to run is, somewhat ironically, EA's Madden NFL 08.  Actually, I haven't tried it since SP1 so I will have to see if it works now.  I've been able to run every Matrixgame I've tried!  Vista is far from perfect to be sure but it is much more compatible than I ever expected.  I had more issues going to xp at first.  In the end however, everything I wanted in XP ran too.  I should point out I am using Vista 32-bit version though as I was afraid the 64-bit version would cause more incompatibilities than I felt like dealing with.  For games at least, that appears to be true.

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 43
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/22/2008 3:38:41 AM   
sabre1

I did notice that the newer games now have a "Game for Windows" logo, and I was wondering if that logo takes some type of special certification to ensure compatibility? 

There is a site that has tweaks for Vista games.  I haven't had a chance to really go through the article, but here is the link:  http://www.tweakguides.com/

If Erik is watching this thread, I personally would find it very helpful if he also tested Matrix games under the 64 bit version of Vista.  Someday, in a galaxy not to far away 64 bit will become the defacto standard.  PLEASE don't shoot the messenger...

--/----1

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 44
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/22/2008 4:13:48 AM   
Arctic Blast

I haven't run in to any issues as of yet, but I haven't gone back and tried anything older than about 5 years, yet (SPWAW is the one I'm most nervous about).

Games for Windows came about when Microsoft became concerned that more and more people were going to consoles for games. The wiki article on it actually explains it pretty well, including what's required for a game to 'make the grade'.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 45
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/22/2008 4:32:54 AM   
Adam Parker

quote:

In terms of work, I actually like Vista, and it has proved relatively painless, but games are another issue... If I had a serious contender for another OS that ran my stuff reliably (I know XP) I would switch in a heartbeat, but there really isn't anything. 

I haven't been happier since I switched my new computer from Vista Ultimate over to XP Pro.

The biggest proof, is that I have absolutely no sound issues with XP that Vista gave me on my current generation mobo integrated sound.

I wasted some money on Vista Friendly software I really regret:

-- Nero 8 (I've switched back to Nero 7 under XP and I love it).

-- Paintshop Pro X2 (the worst Paintshop version ever - I'm much happier with my old Painshop Pro 8 under XP. PSP X2 leaves a no disc error the manufacturer knows about but can't resolve).

Where I saved money:

-- I thankfully didn't go out and buy the Vista Friendly Adobe CS3 Suite. My CS1 runs perfectly fine thank you under XP.

Yes, I loved the look of Vista, I miss it's canned games but in terms of cost benefit, XP is saving me plenty and running rock stable.

The only question is: Why is MS holding back XP SP3? What are they scared of?

Adam.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 46
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI