Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Device History

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Device History Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Device History - 10/12/2008 6:57:34 PM   
Nomad

Is is possible to put the arrival date for leaders if they are not yet active?

(in reply to Arkain)
Post #: 631
RE: Device History - 10/12/2008 7:28:00 PM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thesix

quote:

ORIGINAL: floydg

Okay, guys, here is a revised version of the device history.
(...)
Comments?

A fifth column "Reinforcement Y/N" after the TOE column ?

Will do!

(in reply to Thesix)
Post #: 632
RE: Device History - 10/12/2008 7:47:58 PM   
Dili

quote:

The Device panel now shows for each device the amount in pool, the usage from the pool and the total number of devices in active units.

Thank you.

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 633
RE: Device History - 10/13/2008 2:48:13 AM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

Is is possible to put the arrival date for leaders if they are not yet active?

I could have sworn that was in there, but I just noticed that it wasn't, so now there is a delay column for leaders.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 634
RE: Device History - 10/15/2008 7:36:55 PM   
Arkain

Hallo,

a question to the tracker. If i use every two turns the witp tracker will he show the alerst/stats etc. from the missing turn too or will be the information be lost?

Oh, is it possible, that the alerts for low oil/res apear one or two day earlier, so it is a bit time to react?

I have to say: "Great job!"

Arkain

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 635
RE: Device History - 10/15/2008 7:57:37 PM   
Ambassador

It depends.  Damian or Floyd will correct me if I'm wrong (but if I'm not, less work for them), but Tracker compares the last save that is read with the earlier situation.  So if things have changed compared to two turns earlier, it'll show.

Say you besiege Bangkok.  On turn 1, you read the save.  Come turn 2, you've taken Bangkok.  If you keep it, it'll show on Tracker even if you only read turn 567 next.

However, say the Japs take Bangkok back on turn 3, and you read on turn 4.  The comparison won't show that the base changed hands.
But ship upgrades, aircraft upgrades, arrival of new units/ships/leaders, etc, will show.

As for the oil/ressource alert, it can't predict the movement of oil/ressources, so it couldn't reliably warn you.  Sometimes, situations are corrected just in time.  Personnally, I'd prefer to get rid of it, as it's more easily followed on the industry panels, to see exactly how much oil/ressource is in the area.

(in reply to Arkain)
Post #: 636
RE: Device History - 10/15/2008 8:31:32 PM   
Arkain

yes the industrie panel is much better. You can easy imagene when the oil/res gets low. 

Thanks for the help. :)

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 637
RE: Device History - 10/16/2008 12:03:14 AM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

It depends.  Damian or Floyd will correct me if I'm wrong (but if I'm not, less work for them), but Tracker compares the last save that is read with the earlier situation.  So if things have changed compared to two turns earlier, it'll show.

Say you besiege Bangkok.  On turn 1, you read the save.  Come turn 2, you've taken Bangkok.  If you keep it, it'll show on Tracker even if you only read turn 567 next.

However, say the Japs take Bangkok back on turn 3, and you read on turn 4.  The comparison won't show that the base changed hands.
But ship upgrades, aircraft upgrades, arrival of new units/ships/leaders, etc, will show.

As for the oil/ressource alert, it can't predict the movement of oil/ressources, so it couldn't reliably warn you.  Sometimes, situations are corrected just in time.  Personnally, I'd prefer to get rid of it, as it's more easily followed on the industry panels, to see exactly how much oil/ressource is in the area.

You are becoming quite the expert -- correct on how the alerts are generated even if you skip turns. All we do is compare what things look like now with how the looked on the most recently loaded turn. But events that depend on something instantaneous won't show (e.g., LCU reached destination alert, if you start to move it again the turn it arrives).

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 638
RE: Device History - 10/16/2008 7:51:50 AM   
Ambassador

Thanks.  Actually, I was just wondering yesterday evening how you managed to put the alert for the arrival of LCUs at their destination, as once they arrive, their "destination field" in the LCU box is wiped.  Do you compare the previous turn's status (movement & destination) with current turn's both location & status (moving/not moving) ?  Just curious...

By the way, the tracking of the pilots' values is very great, but there's a small glitch.  When looking their individual history, it shows their "values" (lowish XP, no mission/kill/fatigue) even before they existed.  Somehow, it fails to reckon they didn't exist before a certain date.
I also face some problems with the comments columns.  When filling them, I need to change the panel before coming back, otherwise I can't validate the entry, or simply exiting the line with Esc results in erasing my notes.  Using Vista btw, so this could be a Vista problem and not a WitPTracker one...

And since I'm at it, here's my next batch of miscellaneous ideas (I use Tracker extensively, so they often pop in my mind) :
- Airgroups : in their history box, a column keeping track of their primary mission (and secondary, target, CAP/patrol, etc, but this is less important) would be helpful for AAR-writers.
- Task Forces : a way to track the movements of the TFs would be useful.  A button to earmark a given TF to get an alert when it arrives on destination would help convoy duty, especially when there're many small convoys involved who need to set "manual waypoints" deep in blue waters.  Tracking all the TFs would be too much IMHO (too many are in action and arrive at their destination each turn)
- LCUs : actually, I got this one while not using Tracker but in-game.  Columns counting the number of guns/flak/engineers/vehicles/support and a sixth for infantry squads (as you already said you could not get the assault value displayed in game, IIRC) would be useful for planning operations too.
As always, use what fits you.

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 639
RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 10/16/2008 8:12:03 AM   
Chris21wen

Small error.  THe industrial report has two style of date on it, dd/mm/yy and mm/dd/yy

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 640
RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 10/16/2008 3:46:25 PM   
Panther Bait

Hello,

I use WitP tracker and I love it.  I am playing as Japan in my only PBEM game at the moment, and your program is a life-saver, or at least a marriage-saver since I spend less time per turn now.   

I did have a question on the industry page, though.  Do any of the views show both a bases number of heavy industry and it current oil/resources?  I can find both pieces of information but not on the same screen.  The reason I ask is that the summary screen says my HI production is limited by resource limitations, but other than a couple bases where they is not enough oil (Yenen in the Chinese interior where I cannot ship it and Davao which only has 1 HI point) I can't find where I might be lacking resources.  If I could directly compare HI, oil levels and resource levels at individual bases, I might see where I could change my shipping patterns to better service my industry.

Thanks,
Mike

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 641
RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 10/16/2008 3:56:50 PM   
n01487477

PB,
the message on the summary screen is really telling you how much HI you can theoretically build with the available Oil/Res/Manpower Cntrs you have. This doesn't take into account any transportation problems.

So it calculates all the ResCentr - Manpower and then the Oil Cntrs, compares which is smaller and then compares that number to your current HI production to determine if you can build more capacity... you could think of it as a witpchart capacity summary.

The screen you mention is something I have been thinking about including anyway, and should have long ago, but this is nothing to do with what the summary panel is telling you.

Cheers ... and I hope the next build will include what you ask.

(in reply to Panther Bait)
Post #: 642
RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 10/16/2008 4:33:24 PM   
KTNJR

Can you please give Panther Bait a bugged version! He's kicking my !!

Keep up the awsome work guys, Ilove your program!

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 643
RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 10/16/2008 6:56:32 PM   
Panther Bait

Damian,

Thanks for the info on the theoretical HI on the summary screen. I was worried that I had 300-400 idle factories laying around somewhere.

And KTN, I am glad one of us thinks I'm kicking your lol My poor Oscar pilots from Burma now convalescing in China don't think I am doing such a good job. Or those poor bastards who I keep sending up against VF-6 at Henderson Field. Those guys have got to all be aces by now. I know one of them is up to 17 kills at least.

As my first long-term PBEM, I have learned a ton in our game.

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 644
RE: Device History - 10/16/2008 11:08:09 PM   
floydg

quote:

Thanks.  Actually, I was just wondering yesterday evening how you managed to put the alert for the arrival of LCUs at their destination, as once they arrive, their "destination field" in the LCU box is wiped.  Do you compare the previous turn's status (movement & destination) with current turn's both location & status (moving/not moving) ?  Just curious...

I compare the destination of the previous turn with the location in the current turn (and that it wasn't there before).

quote:

By the way, the tracking of the pilots' values is very great, but there's a small glitch.  When looking their individual history, it shows their "values" (lowish XP, no mission/kill/fatigue) even before they existed.  Somehow, it fails to reckon they didn't exist before a certain date.

I'll have to ask Damian to look at this. There are is a special routine I use to trim off turns before the object existed (you'll see that in Air Groups, for example).

quote:

I also face some problems with the comments columns.  When filling them, I need to change the panel before coming back, otherwise I can't validate the entry, or simply exiting the line with Esc results in erasing my notes.  Using Vista btw, so this could be a Vista problem and not a WitPTracker one...

I use Vista and have no trouble. When you finish typing, hit "Enter".

quote:

And since I'm at it, here's my next batch of miscellaneous ideas (I use Tracker extensively, so they often pop in my mind) :
- Airgroups : in their history box, a column keeping track of their primary mission (and secondary, target, CAP/patrol, etc, but this is less important) would be helpful for AAR-writers.
- Task Forces : a way to track the movements of the TFs would be useful.  A button to earmark a given TF to get an alert when it arrives on destination would help convoy duty, especially when there're many small convoys involved who need to set "manual waypoints" deep in blue waters.  Tracking all the TFs would be too much IMHO (too many are in action and arrive at their destination each turn)
- LCUs : actually, I got this one while not using Tracker but in-game.  Columns counting the number of guns/flak/engineers/vehicles/support and a sixth for infantry squads (as you already said you could not get the assault value displayed in game, IIRC) would be useful for planning operations too.
As always, use what fits you.

I'll see which of these I can (and want to ) do... Some of the last item can be seen in LCU history and LCU Formation history.

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 645
RE: Device History - 10/17/2008 9:26:08 AM   
Ambassador

quote:

I compare the destination of the previous turn with the location in the current turn (and that it wasn't there before).

Quite simpler. Thanks.

quote:

I'll have to ask Damian to look at this. There are is a special routine I use to trim off turns before the object existed (you'll see that in Air Groups, for example).

Indeed, I saw it was different in various panels. I'll have to check, but I believe it's the same for the LCUs (no data before their appearance), while ships act the same way as the pilots IIRC (stats appearing for earlier turns despite their absence).
It's not that important, but every bit of useless data is weigth on the database that could be used for better things. If the remedy is not worse than the problem, off course.

quote:

I use Vista and have no trouble. When you finish typing, hit "Enter".

Yes, that's what I did. I have to reshuffle the columns or go to another panel before coming back, in order to be able to select another line (and I need to hit Escape to do it).

quote:

I'll see which of these I can (and want to ) do... Some of the last item can be seen in LCU history and LCU Formation history.

I saw. My suggestion was for those items to be dumped in columns on the main LCU panel, or a new page in that panel, or in the LCU production panel, for all-encompassing glances. Just a thought, though, added on the long list of weird things that cross my mind all day long...

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 646
Screen updates ... - 10/25/2008 9:29:53 AM   
n01487477

Hi lads...
just some screen updates ... so you don't forget we are working hard... (well Floyd is, I've been slacking off for some time now)

• Totals for Air production.
  • HI in the production details area
  • Ship Production filter for class type & new filter drop down.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 10/25/2008 9:37:00 AM >

(in reply to Ambassador)
  • Post #: 647
    RE: Screen updates ... - 10/25/2008 11:01:53 AM   
    Ambassador

Great work, the filter for the class of ships is very useful IMVHO.  Is is really by "class" (Essex, Yorktown, Baltimore, etc), or rather by type (CV, CA, BB, etc) ?  If it's by class, do you include the type before the name (such as "CV Essex", rather than "Essex" alone) ?

By the way, my problem of not being able to easily validate what I wrote in the comments column disappeared after a re-install of Tracker.  Something probably went wrong the first time...

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 648
    RE: Screen updates ... - 10/25/2008 1:39:53 PM   
    n01487477

Sorry ... I gave misleading information ... it is just CV class, not specific, but I do include all ship "classes" and what you wish for is a thought for later ...

Thanks again. And we'll try to keep on giving what you guys want/ need.

(in reply to Ambassador)
    Post #: 649
    RE: Screen updates ... - 10/25/2008 3:34:28 PM   
    Ambassador

Work in progress, it's all comprehensible.

I see you changed the "status" button in the ship production panel too.

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 650
    RE: Screen updates ... - 10/25/2008 6:40:16 PM   
    floydg

quote:

Work in progress, it's all comprehensible.

I see you changed the "status" button in the ship production panel too.

Yes, we made it so that you can select the icon and then a pop-up menu allows you to check on/off the states you want shown/not shown. This is what I did in Alerts, too.

(in reply to Ambassador)
    Post #: 651
    RE: Screen updates ... - 10/25/2008 8:19:22 PM   
    Ambassador

It seems much easier.  And prettier than a bunch of checkboxes too.

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 652
    RE: Screen updates ... - 10/26/2008 12:01:23 AM   
    tocaff

Keep up the great work!

I don't know how I would manage to get a turn out without this tool enabling my geezerized brain.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
    www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Ambassador)
    Post #: 653
    RE: Screen updates ... - 10/26/2008 1:49:44 AM   
    floydg

Thanks for the encouragement.

We should have a new release tomorrow.
    (Better be tomorrow, as I am leaving for Japan for two weeks on Monday morning...)

(in reply to tocaff)
    Post #: 654
    RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 10/26/2008 10:49:39 AM   
    Chris21wen

I'm using tracker on a new mod.  When I load a new trun I'm getting errors very similar to the errors that CHS used to give. Also some of the ship graphics are showing the wrong ships. I didn't create the mod, I'm only testing it so I don't know the full details of changes but it does have new ship pics, but the mod mainly concentrates on ship/plane data.

(in reply to Nomad)
    Post #: 655
    RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 10/26/2008 10:56:20 AM   
    n01487477

Chris,
    if you want us to look at it we can in due time, obviously without knowing what mod / what data errors are occurring / even if the pics are set correctly in the WITP folder makes my help at present very very limited ...

(in reply to Chris21wen)
    Post #: 656
    RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 10/26/2008 11:31:15 AM   
    Chris21wen

The next time I load a new turn I'll post the errors. The graphics in the game seem to be correct but I'll check.

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 657
    RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 10/26/2008 11:59:18 AM   
    Chris21wen

It's the Ship Production screen that's wrong. In the example it's showing img for Ship class 699 a Japanese Mayati Maru. The Ship Class screen is correct.

Also Hornet shows ship img for class 695 and
    Wasp shows ship img for class 703.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chris H -- 10/26/2008 12:08:37 PM >

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 658
    RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 10/26/2008 1:35:48 PM   
    floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H

It's the Ship Production screen that's wrong. In the example it's showing img for Ship class 699 a Japanese Mayati Maru. The Ship Class screen is correct.

Also Hornet shows ship img for class 695 and
    Wasp shows ship img for class 703.

Okay, I see what's wrong here. I'll fix that...

(in reply to Chris21wen)
    Post #: 659
    WitPTracker 1.4 - 10/26/2008 4:28:44 PM   
    floydg

Release 1.4 is now ready.

The following problems have been fixed:
  • Assorted small fixes in LCU Production Panel

The following features / changes have been added:
  • In the Alert panel, the object type filter can be set to show all or a selected set of object types, not just all or one.
  • Ability to read from the WitPTracker working directory or the WitP SAVE directory. A property is added to the properties file.
  • Device filtering by type in the Device Panel.
  • Armament pool is read each turn and displayed, pool history is also available.
  • Pilot information tab added to the Summary Panel.
  • Ship details and ship history in the Ship Panel.
  • Leader delay shown in the Leader Panel. This information is not updated from previous releases until you read a new turn.
  • Pilots needed shown in Pilot Training Pool tab of Air Groups and Pilots Panel.
  • Filtering enhancements for Ship Production Panel.
  • Air Production Panel has a totals row for all aircraft types.
  • HI column added in the bottom table in several tabs of the Industry Panel.

As always, the program is available here:
    http://witptracker.googlepages.com

We hope it works well for you and helps you in the game (unless you're playing against one of us ),

Floyd and Damian

(in reply to floydg)
  • Post #: 660
    Page:   <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Device History Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI