Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Manual

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Manual Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Manual - 3/28/2002 5:15:48 AM   
Jason629

I personally have no issue with a .pdf manual that I can print off. Hell, thats what the office is for! :)

(in reply to Jason629)
Post #: 31
- 3/28/2002 7:22:16 AM   
panda124c

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Larry Holt
[B]I would like to add that destroyers got their name and their initial role was PT boat destroyers. This is because in the WWI era PT boats were going after capital ships. That they were not too successful in the UV time and location is more due to the wide operational area rather than any shortcomings in the possibile uses of PT boats. [/B][/QUOTE]
Actually the torpedo was developed and the Torpedo boat was designed to launch them against capital ships. So to counter them the Torpedo Boat Destroyers were created with lots of rapid fire guns. Then someone had the bright idea, that Torpedo Boats were not very sea worthy and had short range and the Torpedo Boat Destroyers were plenty fast to catch capital ships, were much more sea worthy and had guns to defend themself so why not put torpedos on Torpedo Boat Destroyers. Thus was born the modern Destroyer. So the Torpedo Boats were replaced with the Destroyers. But the Patrol Boats were still very useful and by adding Torpedos they could be even more useful in coastal areas thus creating the Patrol Torpedo Boat. Incendently the British had Motor Torpedo Boats (MTB) with very light guns with torpedos and as a counter to the German E boats they had Motor Gun Boats (MGB) without torpedos but with larger guns (6 lb's). The American PT's were modified to match the situation they found themselfs in by adding more guns and larger guns, they were much more flexible. So eventually they became Gun Boats with a side line of torpedoing any capital ships they came across. Interestinly the depth charge became the major weapon in the Med being used against coastal shipping in shollow water set for shallow depth the depth charges would break the back of very large ships, transports, barges, F-Liter, etc. There is a good book, which I don't remember the name of, written by the grandson of Charles Dickens about the British MTB operation, he was an MTB commander. And one should not forget excelent book 'At Close Quarters' by Capt. Robert J. Bulkley, Jr. Sorry I'm getting long winded.:D

(in reply to Jason629)
Post #: 32
- 3/28/2002 10:54:11 AM   
David Heath

Hi Guys

We decided not to go with a printed manual. The costs for this size manual is just to costly for use to afford. The second problem was the size of the manual (100-130 pages) and that is to large to fit into our DVD Box. We are making two manual designs. One in full color and one in B/W for easy printing. We are also working on an providing an eBook one for PDF. We also included a page stating that photo copies and printouts maybe may at stores or print shops.

We put a lot of time into the manual and its big and the detail is in the manual. Of course the larger manual is better for the player but not good for our production cost.

David

(in reply to Jason629)
Post #: 33
- 3/28/2002 11:33:53 AM   
madflava13

Mr. Heath,
Thank you for the quick response on the manual issue. I support your decision fully. Although its always neat to have the manual ready to go, I'll burn a little ink in my printer if it will help Matrix's bottom line. You guys are the last bastion of "user-friendly" game designers, and I've loved every game I've played from you guys. Appreciate the efforts you all have put into this and I hope to be one of the first to buy UV...

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to Jason629)
Post #: 34
- 3/28/2002 8:32:43 PM   
Snigbert

Another plus of the PDF manual, is that you can email it to a friend and show him what the game is all about, thus prompting him to go out and buy a copy for himself when he sees how cool it is. Put the manual up for free download on the Matrix website, so interested parties could check it out. All that good free advertising.

Not sure if that is a copywrite infringement or anything, though.

(in reply to Jason629)
Post #: 35
- 3/29/2002 6:06:57 PM   
corbulo

To get a true picture of the capabilities and limitations of PT boats, I need to watch some old episodes of McHales Navy. BTW, this also gives a picture of what warefare was like in the south pacific. If anyone is interested, they are on Nick at NIght.

virtute omne regatur

(in reply to Jason629)
Post #: 36
- 3/29/2002 8:21:38 PM   
Snigbert

Ernest Borgnine had at least a 75 in Leadership and 80 in Inspiration

(in reply to Jason629)
Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Manual Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI