Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Ship Damage

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Ship Damage Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ship Damage - 5/22/2008 10:31:00 PM   
Gem35

weapon/device damage can be repaired in a port of at least 5, unless that too is changed in AE.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 31
RE: Ship Damage - 5/22/2008 11:18:37 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

weapon/device damage can be repaired in a port of at least 5, unless that too is changed in AE.

Massively changed.

Weapons have a repair cost based on their effect.

Ports, shipyards, ARs and Tenders have weapon repair capacity based on their size.

If the repairing facilitity is big enough, the weapon get's repairs. If not, it don't.

The affect of this is to allow small weapon repairs and small places but require big guns be fixed and major installations. Yamato's 18+ inch guys can only be fixed at a couple of ports, which a 25mm mount can be fixed just about anywhere.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 32
RE: Ship Damage - 5/22/2008 11:36:21 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

Massively changed.

Weapons have a repair cost based on their effect.

Ports, shipyards, ARs and Tenders have weapon repair capacity based on their size.

If the repairing facilitity is big enough, the weapon get's repairs. If not, it don't.

The affect of this is to allow small weapon repairs and small places but require big guns be fixed and major installations. Yamato's 18+ inch guys can only be fixed at a couple of ports, which a 25mm mount can be fixed just about anywhere.

Is all of this something the player is going to be expected to memorize or will there be an assessment of what damage can and cannot be repaired on a given ship when it arrives at any given repair facility? Or better yet will a repair facility provide a listing of what weapon types can and cannot be repaired there so player can quickly assess if a given port is the desirable one to send his damaged ship to, or will we have to dig out the manual and waste time looking up what can and cannot be repaired at a given size facility since most of us old geezers will never retain it in memory?

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 5/22/2008 11:39:12 PM >

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 33
RE: Ship Damage - 5/23/2008 12:38:25 AM   
Terminus

You'll learn it quickly. Don't forget that the manual is LIGHT-YEARS better.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 34
RE: Ship Damage - 5/23/2008 12:43:12 AM   
Banquet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

I was very pleased to hear we'll get an updated manual, printed in the boxed version I understand. I'd buy it for that alone! :)

Edit, the ship damage sounds great, btw

< Message edited by Banquet -- 5/23/2008 12:44:55 AM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 35
RE: Ship Damage - 5/23/2008 4:50:46 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

I'll take that as a "no there isn't going to be any user friendly information provided ingame to facilitate all this and the player will be required to memorize it all to be proficient, or keep his handy new and improved manual nearby for ready consultation".

Thanks for the answer.

I humbly request that the design team consider addding provisions for the facilitation of such information ingame to the list of adjustments to be made in the first patch.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 5/23/2008 4:51:39 PM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 36
RE: Ship Damage - 5/23/2008 5:45:58 PM   
Fishbed

?
Man I don't fly my Sturmovik, my F-16 or my Flanker with the manual anymore. Every game has a learning curve. So far in my game collection, WitP, despite its complexity and its limited current manual, has probably the softest one.

User friendly ingame information will be great. But I can live without it. I dare to say WitP IS an easy game to handle once you get into it...

< Message edited by Fishbed -- 5/23/2008 5:47:05 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 37
RE: Ship Damage - 5/23/2008 6:08:53 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

I'll take that as a "no there isn't going to be any user friendly information provided ingame to facilitate all this and the player will be required to memorize it all to be proficient, or keep his handy new and improved manual nearby for ready consultation".

Thanks for the answer.

I humbly request that the design team consider addding provisions for the facilitation of such information ingame to the list of adjustments to be made in the first patch.

You know, we have. It is bit onf a problem: 1000 devices, 5000 classes (combinations of devices), 1700 odd bases, and several modifiers (damage, repair ships, naval support). And, indeed, nothing is going to be done until patch time.

We do want to see how this (and other things) work out under extensive playtime. Many of the things that seem daunting at first become simple after a few turns (or a few dozen turns). Others stay daunting.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 38
RE: Ship Damage - 5/23/2008 6:20:53 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

Thanks for the answer.

You know, we have. It is bit onf a problem: 1000 devices, 5000 classes (combinations of devices), 1700 odd bases, and several modifiers (damage, repair ships, naval support). And, indeed, nothing is going to be done until patch time.

We do want to see how this (and other things) work out under extensive playtime. Many of the things that seem daunting at first become simple after a few turns (or a few dozen turns). Others stay daunting.

Thanks very much for at least considering the possibility that playtesting may reveal the need to make something that appears daunting at first impression may require some adjustment to make it less so.

While I can appreciate Fishbed's point (please don't take this as an insult in any way and consider it in the manner of jest in which I present it) some of us do have lives and play other games (I know blasphemy).

Some one whose total gaming focus is on one particular game will certainly attain a level of mastery of it over time (my local boardgame buddies and I played Third Reich so exclusively for over a decade that most of us could quote the rules and we eventually became playtesters for Advanced Third Reich), but there are many of us whose wargame interests have become sufficiently diverse (3 and about to become 4 current UV PBEM games, an occasional CAW solitaire game, a committment to Beta testing Battles from the Bulge for Panther games, the occasional DB series solitaire game, an occasional Tiller Campaign dynamic campaign game, and a weekly team boardgame session of MM Publishing's Case Blue) that rote memory retention of the rules of all the games we play quickly becomes daunting and we look for and desire in game facilitation of the info we need.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 39
RE: Ship Damage - 5/23/2008 8:18:46 PM   
Fishbed

quote:

While I can appreciate Fishbed's point (please don't take this as an insult in any way and consider it in the manner of jest in which I present it) some of us do have lives and play other games (I know blasphemy).

Well actually with five minutes a turn in PBEM, WitP is not my main activity of the day, nor my main game either

I'll admit eventually that most of the thing I know about WitP aren't coming from the use manual - it's coming from the countless AAR Ive seen here over the two last years. Talk about a real initiation, that's it... PzB, Pauk, Andy are worth a dozen manuals in the end

< Message edited by Fishbed -- 5/23/2008 8:28:10 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 40
RE: Ship Damage - 5/26/2008 10:29:33 PM   
esteban

What happens if you have a 50,000 ton ship with major damage in a 50 point repair yard that has taken 10-20 points of damage in an air raid? Can the 50,000 ton ship still repair that major damage?

(in reply to rjopel)
Post #: 41
RE: Ship Damage - 5/27/2008 3:15:53 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: esteban

What happens if you have a 50,000 ton ship with major damage in a 50 point repair yard that has taken 10-20 points of damage in an air raid? Can the 50,000 ton ship still repair that major damage?

Only undamaged repair shipyard points can repair.

(in reply to esteban)
Post #: 42
RE: Ship Damage - 5/27/2008 3:27:15 PM   
esteban

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: esteban

Only undamaged repair shipyard points can repair.

That seems unecessarily harsh. So a 100 point shipyard can't even contribute to the repair of a cruiser or DD if the yard has been damaged by an air raid?

Two suggestions:

One, to repair a X ton sized ship, the yard needs to have X number of undamaged repair points.

Or two, greatly reduce the cost of repairing a factory/resource point from what it is in WitP.

Otherwise repair yards are useless once they are in LBA range, expecially late in the game.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 43
RE: Ship Damage - 5/27/2008 3:36:45 PM   
Menser

Esteban ... Key word here is undamaged .... if a 50 point repair yard took 15 points damage in a raid ...35 points would still be available to repair ships. Perfectly in-line with your first suggestion.

"Alea iacta est." Caius Julius
"If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing." Emo Philips
"Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius." Abbot Arnaud Amalric

(in reply to esteban)
Post #: 44
RE: Ship Damage - 5/27/2008 3:40:48 PM   
Menser

Don .. does weapon/device repair require an object from the device pool? I.e if a dutch 533 torpedoe tube is damaged on a sub do we have to wait for a device from the pool to become available before repairs commence?

"Alea iacta est." Caius Julius
"If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing." Emo Philips
"Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius." Abbot Arnaud Amalric

(in reply to Menser)
Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Ship Damage Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI