Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Another question...Army/unit size

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Another question...Army/unit size Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another question...Army/unit size - 6/13/2008 6:25:57 PM   
GBS

The AARs have a lot of mention of an Army being 20,000 or 80,000 men etc. I can't find this in the manual but how is this determined?
Post #: 1
RE: Another question...Army/unit size - 6/13/2008 6:33:22 PM   
PyleDriver

Each Inf and Cav unit is 2000 men, each Art unit is is 20 guns with 200 men. Each fleet are 2 ships of 200 men. So we just do the math after that.

Jon

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 2
RE: Another question...Army/unit size - 6/14/2008 2:30:45 AM   
Titanwarrior89

I was wondering this my self.
quote:

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

Each Inf and Cav unit is 2000 men, each Art unit is is 20 guns with 200 men. Each fleet are 2 ships of 200 men. So we just do the math after that.

Jon

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 3
RE: Another question...Army/unit size - 6/14/2008 7:28:49 PM   
chris0827

quote:

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

Jon

Where did you get these numbers? Artillery units averaged about 25 men per gun during the war.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 4
RE: Another question...Army/unit size - 6/14/2008 7:49:58 PM   
PyleDriver

Chris, you'll have to ask Joel on that question. I think there all out of town this weekend...I'm a tester not a programmer...Just trying to hold down the fort...lol...

Jon

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 5
RE: Another question...Army/unit size - 6/14/2008 8:51:17 PM   
Joel Billings

You're right, in hindsight the artillery personnel numbers do sound a little low. It takes 1/6 the manpower to create an artillery unit as it does an infantry unit. We were shooting for 2000 men for the infantry/cav units, so strictly speaking the artillery units represent 333 men. I can't remember why Gary decided on using the 200 men for losses in artillery units (remember the number of men are only for reference and are not what's important in game terms). I was more familiar with a 16 to 1 ratio of men to guns as a rule of thumb. Their is certainly some abstraction built into the game when dealing with the units and what they represent. This is especially true with fleets, where Gary felt that each fleet was 1 or 2 big ships supported by a number of smaller ships. For reporting purposes we decided to say that a damaged fleet was 1 ship lost, while a destroyed fleet was 2 ships lost, but this is definitely an abstraction as a fleet could represent as many as 10 actual ships.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Another question...Army/unit size Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI