Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: User Manuals, Boxes and things like that...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: User Manuals, Boxes and things like that... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: User Manuals, Boxes and things like that... - 7/12/2008 1:40:53 AM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

well, there you are. Truth be told, I rarely read a pdf and if I do, I soon tire of it and move on. I have to wonder if that's part of the reason I drop so many games lately.

I simply cannot read an electronic screen. It tires me. I spend all day programming...I don't want to read an electronic document when I get home.

Same here. Actually, I never really got into more advanced wargames because require a lot of reading to get into them.
Theoretically, I could print a manual on my mother's printers, but usually she doesn't have enough toner to use it for printing game manuals.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 31
RE: User Manuals, Boxes and things like that... - 7/12/2008 3:59:20 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo
Actually, I never really got into more advanced wargames because require a lot of reading to get into them.

Yah. You know, I felt the same way about classical literature. When I was 4. It's gotten better ever since I made the effort.

Sorry. What I mean to say is that game companies just can't cater to the LCD and expect to succeed. Unless you hit it big with a crossover title that sells to almost everybody, you might as well confine yourself to your niche market ... and not pretend that you're doing more than that.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 32
RE: User Manuals, Boxes and things like that... - 7/12/2008 4:39:32 AM   
Perturabo

Cater to the LCD? What do you mean?

They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 33
RE: User Manuals, Boxes and things like that... - 7/12/2008 7:49:46 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

Well, with this line
quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski
Yah. You know, I felt the same way about classical literature. When I was 4. It's gotten better ever since I made the effort.

I'd hazzard a guess he's being "funneh". He's never been an advocate of printed manuals.

Problem is, "some people" understand why some people don't want a printed manual and prefer pdf. Then there are "other people" that don't understand and don't really care why other people would want a printed manual.

Go figure.

Thank god Matrix can see both arguments and cater for both

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 34
RE: User Manuals, Boxes and things like that... - 7/12/2008 12:26:52 PM   
Grell

I used to buy some games based on weight, the heavier the game the better the manual. It's funny but I never read manuals. I just slogged through the game. Nowadays I do read the manual and I prefer the PDF manuals over printed.

Regards,

Greg

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 35
RE: User Manuals, Boxes and things like that... - 7/14/2008 12:23:21 AM   
Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grell

I used to buy some games based on weight, the heavier the game the better the manual. It's funny but I never read manuals. I just slogged through the game. Nowadays I do read the manual and I prefer the PDF manuals over printed.

Regards,

Greg

What do you use to read the PDF manuals on? Or do you just use Alt + Tab while playing a game to read them?

I have tried the latter but the screen resolution is sometimes altered by the game I'm running and prevents the PDF manual from being displayed properly.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 36
RE: User Manuals, Boxes and things like that... - 7/14/2008 1:23:27 AM   
Fred98

quote:

Theoretically, I could print a manual on my mother's printers, but usually she doesn't have enough toner to use it for printing game manuals.

So, go and buy some more toner!

-

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 37
RE: User Manuals, Boxes and things like that... - 7/14/2008 1:44:15 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

"Lowest common denominator," for the algebra fans among ye.

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 38
RE: User Manuals, Boxes and things like that... - 7/14/2008 1:50:13 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

I'd hazzard a guess he's being "funneh". He's never been an advocate of printed manuals.

Problem is, "some people" understand why some people don't want a printed manual and prefer pdf. Then there are "other people" that don't understand and don't really care why other people would want a printed manual.

I'm sure the Dukes of Hazzard are most appreciative, along with Jimmeh Carter.

I have never said I prefer ".pdf" manuals. In fact, as soon as I get one, I convert it into a format that is more compliant to my needs. Print manuals, on the other hand, are dead weight in my world...

What can you do with 'em? Make marginal comments? I can do that. Rearrange things to your liking or delete things that are not? I can do that. Wipe yer butt with 'em? For that, I buy TP (for those who are acronym challenged, that stands for "toilet paper").

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 39
RE: User Manuals, Boxes and things like that... - 7/14/2008 2:56:03 AM   
Perturabo

How about read them and enjoy it?

Reading books on screen is a chore. Also, I never rearrange manuals or write comments in them, which makes such features completely useless.

I don't care about the changes in patches and updates, I just want to learn how to play the damned game.

< Message edited by Perturabo -- 7/14/2008 2:59:35 AM >

Post #: 40
RE: User Manuals, Boxes and things like that... - 7/14/2008 3:09:11 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

How about read them and enjoy it?

Reading books on screen is a chore. Also, I never rearrange manuals or write comments in them, which makes such features completely useless.

I don't care about the changes in patches and updates, I just want to learn how to play the damned game.

Fine, fine, fer chrissake, don't get hostile about it. Do what you want. I haven't been talking about reading "books on screen."

I find it very useful to have control over organization, graphics, annotations, and even text. If I want information, I don't need a pic of C.S.S. Nirvana lying at anchor in Boston Harbor enforcing the great triumph over the hated Bluebellies.

And when you've learned how to play the game and the game has changed, then what? Rifle through a bunch of hard copy?

No, thanks. You keep to your Gutenbergian ways, fine with me. I have other ways of accessing information, and thought to express them here. The degree of defensiveness I have encountered tells me that I'd better just shut up.

Sorry.

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 41
RE: User Manuals, Boxes and things like that... - 7/14/2008 8:05:33 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

quote:

I'm sure the Dukes of Hazzard are most appreciative, along with Jimmeh Carter.

I have never said I prefer ".pdf" manuals. In fact, as soon as I get one, I convert it into a format that is more compliant to my needs. Print manuals, on the other hand, are dead weight in my world...

What can you do with 'em? Make marginal comments? I can do that. Rearrange things to your liking or delete things that are not? I can do that. Wipe yer butt with 'em? For that, I buy TP (for those who are acronym challenged, that stands for "toilet paper").

I apologise. By "...prefer pdf" I meant "non print alternatives".

Besides, as I said, I have no problems with other people (you included ) NOT wanting printed documents with their games. I would also feel for said camp if their choice of games was restricted by the cost of games being higher due to printed manual only versions being available.

Luckily, we have a publisher here who see's both sides and tries to cater for both, by providing Digital Express versions of the game $10 cheaper than those of us who would like a printed manual.

Kudos.

I just had to run out and buy a new black ink cartridge for my printer after trying to print a 200 page manual using Eddies tool. After the manual was finished, I now have to buy another black ink cartridge and a cyan one...so that particular manual will have cost me£16 plus £2 for the binder.

Also, it's not nearly as professional looking as one supplied with the games I buy.

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 7/14/2008 8:06:19 AM >

Post #: 42
RE: User Manuals, Boxes and things like that... - 7/14/2008 8:54:00 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

I apologise. By "...prefer pdf" I meant "non print alternatives".

No apology necessary, JD, old man. I guess I've gotten to be such an electronic character in my old age that paper just means little or nothing to me anymore.

I, too, am glad that our favorite wargame publisher (don't press me on whether I actually mean that statement these days) accommodates everyone's tastes - even those of us bizarre ones who attach Polish-sounding suffixes to their usernames.

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 43
RE: User Manuals, Boxes and things like that... - 7/14/2008 12:49:31 PM   
killroyishere

quote:

I have over 4,000 PC games in their original boxes with all the manuals and other goodies safely stored inside.

Let's see at an average of $30 per game that's $120,000 you've spent on games alone??

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 44
RE: User Manuals, Boxes and things like that... - 7/14/2008 1:55:42 PM   
Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: killroyishere

quote:

I have over 4,000 PC games in their original boxes with all the manuals and other goodies safely stored inside.

Let's see at an average of $30 per game that's $120,000 you've spent on games alone??

Well, I started buying PC games in 1989. I have purchased a lot of games for much less than $30. Due to changes in format (from DOS to Windows) and media (from 5.25" to 3.5" floppies), I have picked up quite a few games for a fraction of their original cost. Besides, just waiting a few weeks after the initial release of a game will usually result in getting a significant discount in the selling price at some retail stores like BestBuy.

After paying over $60 for an early copy of Darklands, it was upsetting to see it in the bargain bin at Best Buy sometime later for a paltry $5 or so. After that I decided not to get in a hurry to spend my money and to wait awhile for the price to come down. That has saved me a LOT of money, but it has also caused me to miss out on a number of games as they simply were no longer sold. I am still getting titles I missed out on by buying them on eBay, and for a cheaper price than they originally sold for despite nearly all of them being brand new in a sealed retail box--with a printed manual!

The best deal on a game I ever got was Reach for the Stars. Due to a marketing foul up I got the game free. A special sale on the game after its price was reduced resulted in the new price being less than $0. It would have been a better deal yet if I had liked the game after I received it, but at least I got it for nothing.

< Message edited by Greybriar -- 7/14/2008 2:55:54 PM >

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 45
RE: User Manuals, Boxes and things like that... - 7/14/2008 7:25:46 PM   
pasternakski

Ah, the old, original Reach for the Stars. I played the heck outta that on my C-64. I called my civilization "The Human Hope" and always played as Player D. The computer players I named the "Army Ants," "Battle Bees," and "Chitin Clan," respectively.

Those were the days.

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 46
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: User Manuals, Boxes and things like that... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI