Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT - WWII quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  48 49 [50] 51 52   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/31/2009 12:27:58 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Who is supposed to have said following quote? Please, remember, to answer from memmory and no internet browsing on the answer.

"I don't know what the hell this "logistics" is that Marshall is always talking about, but I want some of it."

Well, I don't know - never having heard the quote before. But I'll take a guess that it was McArthur.

No, not McArthur.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 1471
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/31/2009 1:07:38 PM   
wosung

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who is supposed to have said following quote? Please, remember, to answer from memmory and no internet browsing on the answer.

"I don't know what the hell this "logistics" is that Marshall is always talking about, but I want some of it."

Well, I don't know - never having heard the quote before. But I'll take a guess that it was McArthur.

No, not McArthur.

Wasn't it King, the man who, according to his daughter was "always in a rage"?
King and Marshall had to deal with each other in the staff in Washington and got along surprisingly well.

The quote can be found in the book about FDR and his high ranking officers by Eric Larrabee (sp?)

Regards

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1472
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/31/2009 9:07:51 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: wosung

quote:

Wasn't it King, the man who, according to his daughter was "always in a rage"?
King and Marshall had to deal with each other in the staff in Washington and got along surprisingly well.

The quote can be found in the book about FDR and his high ranking officers by Eric Larrabee (sp?)

Regards

That is correct. It was indeed Admiral Ernest King, C-C US Fleet, who is supposed to have said that.

Your quote from the daughter made me look it up and the complete quote from her is: "He is the most even-tempered man in the Navy. He is always in a rage."

Both King and Marshall seem to have been extraordinare men of the finest quality.

< Message edited by Orm -- 10/31/2009 9:08:35 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 1473
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/10/2010 7:14:21 PM   
Orm

I am wondering if you might know the name of the man I write about and from what country he is?

About 70 years ago a 22 year old man, who some knew as No. 24 (but he had many other names and identities), begun his fight against Germany. This fight would make him the highest decorated man in his country. In fact he is the only person to ever recive the highest award from that country. He was also awarded the British Distinguished Service Order. He is the first non-american to be awarded the United States Special Operations Command Medal. He is also one of the few non-americans who has been awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

There is a statue of him in the nations capital.

He is recently portrayed in a WWII movie.

On his 90th birthday he was honored with a big reception that was attended by his King and other members of the Royal Family.

Please. If you search on internet for the answer do not post it.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1474
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/10/2010 9:31:59 PM   
MajorDude

quote:

I am wondering if you might know the name of the man I write about and from what country he is?

About 70 years ago a 22 year old man, who some knew as No. 24 (but he had many other names and identities), begun his fight against Germany. This fight would make him the highest decorated man in his country. In fact he is the only person to ever recive the highest award from that country. He was also awarded the British Distinguished Service Order. He is the first non-american to be awarded the United States Special Operations Command Medal. He is also one of the few non-americans who has been awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

On his 90th birthday he was honored with a big reception that was attended by his King and other members of the Royal Family.

The answer is: <I can't tell you because of Orm's request, lol>

If somebody can get it right without help, hats off to ya.

A fascinating story indeed.

Maybe they can name a mwif counter for him...

< Message edited by MajorDude -- 4/10/2010 9:45:23 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1475
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/10/2010 11:14:18 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Absolutely no idea !!!!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1476
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/11/2010 1:58:49 AM   
Sewerlobster

Okay, I had to look it up --- so what's the movie? I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Why choose the lesser evil: Vote Cthulhu.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1477
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/11/2010 3:46:38 AM   
paulderynck

I think you are talking about William Stephenson, a Canadian, aka 'X'. I may have his name wrong but I think I'm close.

Edit - 'X' was the spy training camp and the code name I was trying to raise was "Intrepid". I couldn't wait so I googled my guess. Some of the awards don't quite match so maybe it's a coincidence his resume is so close.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 4/11/2010 3:55:55 AM >

Paul

(in reply to Sewerlobster)
Post #: 1478
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/11/2010 8:13:41 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

I think you are talking about William Stephenson, a Canadian, aka 'X'. I may have his name wrong but I think I'm close.

Edit - 'X' was the spy training camp and the code name I was trying to raise was "Intrepid". I couldn't wait so I googled my guess. Some of the awards don't quite match so maybe it's a coincidence his resume is so close.

No, it is not William Stephenson. And it is not a Canadian.

Edit: And now I am going to look up and read about William Stephenson.

< Message edited by Orm -- 4/11/2010 8:18:08 AM >

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 1479
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/11/2010 8:17:07 AM   
Orm

I thought that the fact that he was honored by his King on his 90th birthday would give you a hint on what country I am asking for. Not that many countries has a King in present day.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1480
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/11/2010 9:52:21 AM   
Espen

Since there is a book called "Rapport fra nr. 24", I would assume that it is either Gunnar Sønsteby or Max Manus, both members of the resisance group called the "Oslo-gang". Since there was a movie called Max Manus which was released last year, I'm going with that.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1481
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/11/2010 11:36:23 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Espen

Since there is a book called "Rapport fra nr. 24", I would assume that it is either Gunnar Sønsteby or Max Manus, both members of the resisance group called the "Oslo-gang". Since there was a movie called Max Manus which was released last year, I'm going with that.

And you got it right.

I was looking for Gunnar Sønsteby from Norway.

If you want to take a peek on what he did during WWII you can always look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunnar_S%C3%B8nsteby but as always with wiki pages some facts may be wrong.

(in reply to Espen)
Post #: 1482
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/13/2010 11:16:16 PM   
winky51

Ok here is one where you cant really google this.

In the Battle of the Atlantic what was England what were some the most important improvement in ASW that was not based on technology and how did it impact the overall campaign.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1483
WWII quiz: Capturing Churchill - 4/14/2010 4:55:17 AM   
Greyshaft

Here's another non-Googlable question.

When was Winston Churchill almost captured by the Germans?

Two Hints:
* The answer is NOT in 'The Eagle Has Landed"
* The answer IS in Winston Churchill's six volume history of the Second World War

/Greyshaft

(in reply to winky51)
Post #: 1484
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/14/2010 6:27:11 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: winky51

In the Battle of the Atlantic what was England what were some the most important improvement in ASW that was not based on technology and how did it impact the overall campaign.

It's hard to tell exactly what you mean but my guess would be the development of Operations Research (a branch of Discrete Modelling mathematics). It relates to improving the efficiency of processes. It enabled the Allies to maximise the effectiveness of their resources.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to winky51)
Post #: 1485
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/14/2010 7:42:22 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

It's hard to tell exactly what you mean but my guess would be the development of Operations Research (a branch of Discrete Modelling mathematics). It relates to improving the efficiency of processes. It enabled the Allies to maximise the effectiveness of their resources.

Cheers, Neilster

...and to vastly improve their forecasts about where the wolfpacks could be and would be.

Paul

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 1486
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/14/2010 1:49:27 PM   
micheljq

quote:

The convoys system.

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

(in reply to winky51)
Post #: 1487
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/14/2010 2:52:01 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

quote:

The convoys system.

No convoys have been arround for a long time I.E. the Spanish treasure fleets from 1566 to 1790, and the convoys in World War I.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 1488
RE: WWII quiz: Capturing Churchill - 4/14/2010 5:55:11 PM   
MajorDude

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

Two Hints:
* The answer IS in Winston Churchill's six volume history of the Second World War

"... In 1898 during the Boer war Churchill was sent to South Africa as the Morning Post's Correspondent. The book Winston S. Churchill: War Correspondent 1895-1900 by his grandson Winston Churchill M.P. tells of these times. While there he was captured by the Boers and held as a Prisoner of War in Pretoria. However within a month he, along with 2 other prisoners, escaped. His book My Early Life covers these years..." Hey, they got him, but the Germans couldn't... lol

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 1489
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/14/2010 9:59:20 PM   
Anendrue

quote:

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

Perhaps the creation of simplex mathematics. While publicly released in 1947 it was created by George Dantzig during the war. This mathematical modeling allowed for the shipping of thousands of items in the most efficient manner to destinations in desperate need of those items.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 1490
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/14/2010 11:51:44 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: abj9562

quote:

quote:

It's hard to tell exactly what you mean but my guess would be the development of Operations Research (a branch of Discrete Modelling mathematics). It relates to improving the efficiency of processes. It enabled the Allies to maximise the effectiveness of their resources. I expect the British did these by hand.

Cheers, Neilster

Perhaps the creation of simplex mathematics. While publicly released in 1947 it was created by George Dantzig during the war. This mathematical modeling allowed for the shipping of thousands of items in the most efficient manner to destinations in desperate need of those items.

Just for clarification, Simplex is considered part of Operations Research.

When I got my Masters in OR, one of my professors had as part of the final exam performing a Simplex analysis by hand (no calculators), which was 25% of the test. Very tedious and time consuming. At all other times in my life, these have been done by a computer program.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 1491
RE: WWII quiz: Capturing Churchill - 4/15/2010 11:40:54 AM   
Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: MajorDude

quote:

Two Hints:

"... In 1898 during the Boer war Churchill was sent to South Africa as the Morning Post's Correspondent. The book Winston S. Churchill: War Correspondent 1895-1900 by his grandson Winston Churchill M.P. tells of these times. While there he was captured by the Boers and held as a Prisoner of War in Pretoria. However within a month he, along with 2 other prisoners, escaped. His book My Early Life covers these years..." Hey, they got him, but the Germans couldn't... lol

No... this is an event in the Second World War while he was Prime Minister

/Greyshaft

(in reply to MajorDude)
Post #: 1492
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/15/2010 6:44:22 PM   
Anendrue

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: abj9562

quote:

quote:

It's hard to tell exactly what you mean but my guess would be the development of Operations Research (a branch of Discrete Modelling mathematics). It relates to improving the efficiency of processes. It enabled the Allies to maximise the effectiveness of their resources. I expect the British did these by hand.

Cheers, Neilster

Just for clarification, Simplex is considered part of Operations Research.

When I got my Masters in OR, one of my professors had as part of the final exam performing a Simplex analysis by hand (no calculators), which was 25% of the test. Very tedious and time consuming. At all other times in my life, these have been done by a computer program.

If I never do another simplex analysis in my life I will be very happy. I only worked with it on my B.S. I can only guess what it must have been like at the Masters level.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

Post #: 1493
RE: WWII quiz: Capturing Churchill - 4/15/2010 7:48:20 PM   
michaelbaldur

quote:

quote:

quote:

Two Hints:

I think I can remember that... he was almost captured. when he was visiting the frontline somewhere in north Africa.

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 1494
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/16/2010 4:10:31 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

What a small world! I too have a Masters in OR (Ga. Tech 1981). And I also had to do several iterations of the Simplex method by hand both for homework and during a test. Except, if I remember correctly, the homework problem required us to iterate until we actually go the answer. That took several pages and a while to do.

I do remember in one of my Mathematical Programming classes (I think it was Linear Programming) that the professor talked about the use of OR techniques in WW-II to help against German u-boats.

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 4/16/2010 4:12:16 PM >

Post #: 1495
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/16/2010 4:40:47 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

quote:

What a small world! I too have a Masters in OR (Ga. Tech 1981). And I also had to do several iterations of the Simplex method by hand both for homework and during a test. Except, if I remember correctly, the homework problem required us to iterate until we actually go the answer. That took several pages and a while to do.

I do remember in one of my Mathematical Programming classes (I think it was Linear Programming) that the professor talked about the use of OR techniques in WW-II to help against German u-boats.

As part of my university maths/computing major (2003-2005) I did heaps of hand calculations of this type in assignments and exams. Calculators were, as far as I remember, never allowed in exams and we were not allowed to use software in assignments/projects until we had shown we were adept at hand computation first. In Australia we have an old fashioned idea that mathematicians should be accurate and have an attention span .

Cheers, Neilster

< Message edited by Neilster -- 4/16/2010 4:41:49 PM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 1496
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/16/2010 6:40:39 PM   
winky51

quote:

quote:

The Convoy system and mathematics of transport was involved.

The UK originally believed it was better for ships to travel independently than in packs to get across the Atlantic because if found only 1 would be sunk and not many. But what was found is that convoys were better. Even though you had 20 ships (for example) in a convoy spreading over lots of open sea their foot print on the ocean was very tiny compared to having 20 ships sailing individually. The range of spotting the large convoy over the single ship was close to the same due to the curvature of the earth. Then later it was proven that doubling the size of a convoy only required 1 1/2 times more ASW ships to have the same protection. Less ASW covering more ships with same effectiveness. This was all proven mathmatically. These two principles alone vastly improved the convoy protection in WW2 for the UK. Now add in all the technology and air coverage and it improves even greater. The peak destruction of convoys in 1942 was mostly USA convoys not UK. The USA didnt listen to the UK and thought they knew better employing the same bad tactics, if not worse, that the UK did early in the war. The UK had the u-boat war beat in 1941.

(in reply to winky51)
Post #: 1497
RE: WWII quiz: Capturing Churchill - 4/16/2010 7:41:07 PM   
MajorDude

quote:

quote:

quote:

Two Hints:

I know. That is the reason I said, "Hey, they (the Boers) got him (then), but the Germans couldn't (later)... lol "

I'm like michaelbaldur ("I think I can remember that... he was almost captured. when he was visiting the frontline somewhere in north Africa) ; I think I have an idea, just can't be sure.

Churchill traveled quite a bit during WWII, and was really probably "almost caught" more than once. Your question refers to some "famous" "almost caught" that he would have mentioned in his six volume history of the Second World War... that I must admit I have not read cover to cover...

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 1498
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/16/2010 8:31:18 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

quote:

As part of my university maths/computing major (2003-2005) I did heaps of hand calculations of this type in assignments and exams. Calculators were, as far as I remember, never allowed in exams and we were not allowed to use software in assignments/projects until we had shown we were adept at hand computation first. In Australia we have an old fashioned idea that mathematicians should be accurate and have an attention span .

Cheers, Neilster

Hunh! Have you progressed beyond using Roman numerals?

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 1499
Answer: When was Churchill nearly captured? - 4/17/2010 3:11:52 AM   
Greyshaft

In Jan 1942 Churchill needed to return from the USA to England. He was scheduled to travel in the 'Duke of York' which was berthed at Bermuda but he decided to return by flying boat. After 10+ hours flight they had not sighted land and decided to turn north. In Churchill's words...

"Later on I learnt that if we had held on our course for another five or six minutes before turning northwards we should have been over the German batteries in Brest. We had slanted too much to the southward during the night... (In England) we were reported as a hostile bomber coming in from Brest, and six hurricanes from Fighter Command were ordered out to shoot us down. However they failed in their mission."

Doubtless there were other escapades with the Germans in North Africa but this is the one I was thinking about.

ref: p.629 - The Second World War, vol.3, Churchill W.S. (Casell & Co. Ltd, London)

/Greyshaft

Post #: 1500
Page:   <<   < prev  48 49 [50] 51 52   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  48 49 [50] 51 52   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI