Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Next quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Next quiz Page: <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Next quiz - 6/11/2011 6:40:47 PM   
Centuur

You're not even close...

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 2131
RE: Next quiz - 6/11/2011 9:21:11 PM   
Extraneous

Most of them were transports.

Do you know if they counted the RAF raid on the airports at Wilhelmshaven?

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 2132
RE: Next quiz - 6/11/2011 9:35:56 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

Do you know if they counted the RAF raid on the airports at Wilhelmshaven?
Warspite1

Wilhelmshaven is in Germany? and this is about German losses in Holland - what am I missing?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2133
RE: Next quiz - 6/11/2011 10:28:23 PM   
Centuur

Not, they did not count that airraid. The count was made by the Germans themselves... And it is true that most of the planes were transports (JU-53's I believe).

< Message edited by Centuur -- 6/11/2011 10:32:13 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2134
RE: Next quiz - 6/11/2011 10:33:07 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Not, they did not count that airraid. The count was made by the Germans themselves... And it is true that most of the planes were transports (JU-50's I believe...)

Warspite1

a) can someone please explain what raid, and what that has to do with the question - I am not getting it?
b) JU-52 surely

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 2135
RE: Next quiz - 6/12/2011 12:14:32 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

You're not even close...

I suspected that, but think how amazing it would have been if I'd got it. I would have had to log out and go out to buy lottery tickets.

Paul

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 2136
RE: Next quiz - 6/12/2011 5:02:11 PM   
Extraneous

The RAF raided Wilhelmshaven arround this time period and I wondered if the air losses were included in the Luftwaffe losses.

Yes they were mostly Transportgruppen JU-52's.

Glad your using Luftwaffe and not Militaire Luchtvaart totals Centuur.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 2137
RE: Next quiz - 6/12/2011 7:47:03 PM   
Centuur

I"m using the total number before salvage and repairs the Germans were able to do after the capitulation of the Dutch forces. The Germans did manage to repair about 50% of the planes used in the airlandings... Even taking that into account, it is still a lot to lose over five days of war...

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2138
RE: Next quiz - 6/16/2011 4:33:22 PM   
Extraneous

Time to tell them the answer Centuur

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 2139
RE: Next quiz - 6/16/2011 10:21:39 PM   
Centuur

The amount stated by Dutch sources is about 575 airplanes which were put out of action. The German count was 270 destroyed and about 300 damaged, but repairable after the conquest of the Netherlands. This also explains the different numbers showing. A larger problem for the Germans was, that the Dutch took the liberty of putting a lot of aircrews and the officers of the German invading paratroopers they captured on a couple of ships with a one way ticket to Britain... The Germans were more concerned with the partial loss of the officers of the Para division and the pilots, than with the actual loss of the planes.

A lot of planes were repairable, because the Germans were landing the airlandingdivisions troops everywhere between The Hague and Rotterdam at the second day of the fighting. The airfields were blocked by to many airplanewrecks. A lot of the planes landed outside the airfields and simply sank in mud, or got damaged landinggears etc. etc. Some of them landed on beaches around The Hague and on the road between Rotterdam and The Hague (there they were simply destroyed by a few Dutch armoured cars and some heavy building equipment). The Dutch simply couldn't spare the troops and equipment to totally destroy the planes at that time.

At the end of the fifth day of fighting, a lot of the paratroopers north of Rotterdam were rounded up by Dutch forces (but there were still some Para's isolated around the city) and the airfields around The Hague were back in Dutch control. At Rotterdam however, the airport and the large bridges were controlled by Students Para's, which also did capture the bridges at Dorddrecht and Moerdijk on the first two days of the war. Just before the bombardment on the city of Rotterdam, a German Panzerdivision advanced from Brabant accross those bridges and reached the southern part of the city of Rotterdam. Since the defences of the Dutch were therefore seriously compromised (the road to The Hague and Amsterdam was open for the Germans, General Winkelman capitulated. Just after that, the Germans bombed the city.

Looking at the five days of fighting in the Netherlands a couple of things really stands out.
The first is that the percentage of deaths and wounded soldiers in the Dutch army the five days of the war is the about the same as for the whole Belgium campaign (Dutch 0,85% KIA, Belgians 1%). That means fighting in Holland was very intensive. The percentage of wounded soldiers is also about the same.
Also the Dutch got the absolute elite regarding German strength fighting against them. Student's Para, the airlandingdivision and the SS Leibstandarte were very well trained and equipped German forces.
The Dutch Command was surprised in the fact that the Germans did aim for the most Western bridges in the Netherlands. These bridges weren't rigged for demolition, because they were needed to give the French an entry in the Netherlands. The Dutch were afraid for a small commando raid on those bridges to demolish them.
Another astonishing thing is that the small Dutch airforce wasn't eliminated on the ground (compared to the Belgians, which lost almost there whole airforce being sitting ducks on the ground). The Dutch pilots were forced to warm the engines of all planes at 03:00 daily and keep those engines warm by staying next to the planes till 06:00 hours. Therefore, when the Germans came, almost all planes were airborne and bringing havoc on the German transports and bombers. However on return most airfields around The Hague and Rotterdam were battlefields, so the pilots didn't have a place to land the planes. So half the airforce got knocked out due to not having enough fuel to reach other airfields.

As I have read a lot of books about those five days (I couldn't stand the fact that the campaign only lasted for five days), one can say the German Para's succeeded in disrupting communications around the Area of The Hague. Therefore the Dutch weren't able to defend the Maasbridges (they had to fight the boxed in Para's in very many places around The Hague, using valuable troops) in Rotterdam and that was than the end of things.

< Message edited by Centuur -- 6/16/2011 10:23:44 PM >

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2140
RE: Next quiz - 6/16/2011 11:35:36 PM   
Extraneous

Use this link to a good site for this information - and scroll down to Battle results

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 2141
RE: Next quiz - 6/26/2011 3:15:19 PM   
Orm

What class of ship am I and which ship of that class am I.

1) I am not represented as a individual counter in MWIF.
2) Winston Churchill is credited for naming the main part of the name of my class.
3) I was lost with all hands in October 1941 by unknown cause.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2142
RE: Next quiz - 6/26/2011 5:44:18 PM   
Red Prince

Are you the Flower-class Corvette Gladiolus?
-----
Edit: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower_class_corvette

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 6/26/2011 5:45:45 PM >

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2143
RE: Next quiz - 6/26/2011 5:53:58 PM   
Orm

Yes. You are indeed right. Well done.

((Not saying you did, but a small reminder to all, to try to avoid googling the answer to the questions in this thread.))

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 2144
RE: Next quiz - 6/26/2011 5:58:50 PM   
Red Prince

Oops. Shame on me!

I didn't know that was a rule. Sorry about that.

This is not an excuse, but I'm trying to find a "rules" or guidelines post that I can re-post, and I don't see one. Is there one?

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2145
RE: Next quiz - 6/26/2011 6:05:28 PM   
Orm

Nah. No "official" rules so far.

But no googling is appreciated unless the question says it is allowed.

And if you get a question right it is also very much appreciated if you ask one.

If you feel like making some rules feel free to do so. I am sure it will be appreciated. But I think your time could be spent better elsewhere than trying to make rules for this. Like making a question...

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 2146
RE: Next quiz - 6/26/2011 6:09:16 PM   
Red Prince

Just didn't want to make another faux pas . . . I hadn't read all of the 2100+ posts. No intention here to make up rules. Except one: all answers must be typed whilst standing on your head!

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2147
RE: Next quiz - 6/26/2011 6:16:24 PM   
Orm

What date is this picture taken?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 2148
RE: Next quiz - 6/26/2011 6:23:06 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

That picture is one of the splash screens for MWIF. Therefore I know (or think I know), but I will leave it for others to answer.

EDIT: The MWIF splash screen provides an additional clue.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2149
RE: Next quiz - 6/26/2011 8:43:53 PM   
Centuur

I know what is photographed here, but the date? Without google I haven't got a clue...

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 2150
RE: Next quiz - 6/26/2011 9:45:59 PM   
michaelbaldur

it was sometime in the summer of 42 .. the bombing raid on Japan

< Message edited by michaelbaldur -- 6/26/2011 10:36:51 PM >

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 2151
RE: Next quiz - 6/26/2011 10:18:14 PM   
Froonp

quote:

This is one of the B-25 of the Doolittle Raid, taking off from the USS Hornet to bomb tokyo on the 18 April 1942.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2152
RE: Next quiz - 6/27/2011 12:54:09 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

This is one of the B-25 of the Doolittle Raid, taking off from the USS Hornet to bomb tokyo on the 18 April 1942.

All correct.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 2153
RE: Next quiz - 6/27/2011 8:35:39 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Prince

Oops. Shame on me!

I didn't know that was a rule. Sorry about that.

This is not an excuse, but I'm trying to find a "rules" or guidelines post that I can re-post, and I don't see one. Is there one?

Post # : 63

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
Surely it`s googling not allowed? although of course that relies on people`s honesty....

Well, I like to Google such history related issues, if I must rely on memory only, I just can forget about answering any quizz here

Yep - that`s the idea

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 2154
RE: Next quiz - 6/27/2011 9:54:32 PM   
Red Prince

Weird. I know I saw that first post, but I missed the next one when I was looking for it. Thanks.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2155
RE: Next quiz - 6/28/2011 6:38:58 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

Weird. I know I saw that first post, but I missed the next one when I was looking for it. Thanks.

No problem. I have to post the link for "Post #: 63" from time to time.

Another unposted rule is you give NEW hints each day after your initial post.
if your question is not answered in 2 days after your inital post you post the answer.

That means a maximum of an inital post and 2 days of hints then you tell answer if they havent guessed.

If I dont't know the answer and google them then I don't answer the quiz.

Due to the massive information I have collected on ships and land units I give someone else the chance to answer them first

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 2156
RE: Next quiz - 7/9/2011 10:44:54 AM   
Orm

What kind of AFV is on the picture?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2157
RE: Next quiz - 7/9/2011 11:08:37 AM   
warspite1

AFV's are not my speciality so I'll leave that one to someone else.....but in the meantime, I will ask another question to run alongside yours Orm.

The evacuation of the BEF was called Operation Dynamo. Where did the name Dynamo come from?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2158
RE: Next quiz - 7/9/2011 12:30:44 PM   
Red Prince

Marvel Comics?

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2159
RE: Next quiz - 7/9/2011 4:07:40 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Marvel Comics?
Warspite1

Surprisingly.....no

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 2160
Page:   <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Next quiz Page: <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI