Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Next quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Next quiz Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Next quiz - 12/30/2011 8:27:08 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

I am looking for a weapon used during WWII.

1) During WWII it was used by many different nations. Among those countries you find both Japan and Germany.
2) Versions of this weapon are still in use today.

3) US decided to get this gun 1940 and begun production illegally and later on got licence to produce the gun. US made around 60,000 of this gun during the war.

4) There is actually a English movie (not WWII movie) with the same title as the common name for this gun.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2461
RE: Next quiz - 12/30/2011 10:57:56 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am looking for a weapon used during WWII.

1) During WWII it was used by many different nations. Among those countries you find both Japan and Germany.
2) Versions of this weapon are still in use today.

3) US decided to get this gun 1940 and begun production illegally and later on got licence to produce the gun. US made around 60,000 of this gun during the war.

4) There is actually a English movie (not WWII movie) with the same title as the common name for this gun.

5) The first version of this gun was completed 1933 and named 40 mm lvakan m/36. But the name I am looking for is what the gun is commonly called. (Most versions (all?) of this gun is called by the name I am looking for.)

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2462
RE: Next quiz - 12/30/2011 3:37:20 PM   
ItBurns

I'm thinking of the Bofors 40mm gun but I don't know of any nick name. Maybe pom-pom?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2463
RE: Next quiz - 12/30/2011 5:20:28 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: ItBurns

I'm thinking of the Bofors 40mm gun but I don't know of any nick name. Maybe pom-pom?

Bofors 40mm or just the Bofors gun is the correct answer. That is actually a nick name. The real name would be 40 mm akan M/32 but since it was built by Bofors the gun was often called Bofors 40 mm L/60 and later on Bofors 40mm or just the Bofors gun.

In the quiz I accidently wrote m/36 when I should have written M/32. The name Bofors 40 mm L/60 is actually misleading since the barrel length is not of caliber 60.

< Message edited by Orm -- 12/30/2011 5:21:31 PM >

(in reply to ItBurns)
Post #: 2464
RE: Next quiz - 12/30/2011 6:22:54 PM   
warspite1

quote:

In the quiz I accidently wrote m/36 when I should have written M/32. The name Bofors 40 mm L/60 is actually misleading since the barrel length is not of caliber 60.
Warspite1

Orm! I would have known the answer if you'd correctly written M/32

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2465
RE: Next quiz - 12/30/2011 7:25:00 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Warspite1

According to this site HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Nelson was among the first Royal Navy ships fitted with the Bofors gun and for a while I considered mentioning that as a clue. But I decided to avoid all references to the Royal Navy in my clues since that would have made it to easy to you.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_4cm-56_mk12.htm

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2466
RE: Next quiz - 12/30/2011 8:20:51 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

According to this site HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Nelson was among the first Royal Navy ships fitted with the Bofors gun and for a while I considered mentioning that as a clue. But I decided to avoid all references to the Royal Navy in my clues since that would have made it to easy to you.

Warspite1

What were the first two Royal Navy ships to be fitted with radar?

Clue: The first was a cruiser and the second a battleship.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2467
RE: Next quiz - 12/30/2011 8:45:01 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

I feel I should know at least one of those ships. I have a feeling that one of those ships was among the ships that hunted for Bismarck. But which ship eludes me.

Edit: This have me so annoyed with my memory so I had to look it up. And it turns out that I recently read about this ship. Go figure that there is a question about something that I recently read and I had already forgotten the name of the ship.

< Message edited by Orm -- 12/30/2011 8:53:50 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2468
RE: Next quiz - 12/30/2011 9:06:13 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

I feel I should know at least one of those ships. I have a feeling that one of those ships was among the ships that hunted for Bismarck. But which ship eludes me.

Edit: This have me so annoyed with my memory so I had to look it up. And it turns out that I recently read about this ship. Go figure that there is a question about something that I recently read and I had already forgotten the name of the ship.
Warspite1

Well there's another clue; they were both involved in the hunt for the Bismarck.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2469
RE: Next quiz - 12/30/2011 11:07:19 PM   
Centuur

One of the cruisers in the Denmark Strait had a radar. I don't recall if it was the Suffolk or the Norfolk. I go for the first one (might be wrong here). The other one is a gamble on my part: I go for the Prince of Wales...

Peter

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2470
RE: Next quiz - 12/31/2011 1:41:09 AM   
ezzler

Sheffield must be the cruiser. The Battleship was mentioned a few posts back. HMS Rodney.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 2471
RE: Next quiz - 12/31/2011 6:36:24 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

Sheffield must be the cruiser. The Battleship was mentioned a few posts back. HMS Rodney.
Warspite1

Is the correct answer . Out of interest, why must Sheffield be the cruiser?

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 2472
RE: Next quiz - 1/1/2012 3:33:24 AM   
ezzler

I remember Sheffield was keeping Bismark in contact and was there to direct the Swordfish to attack. Sheffield was attacked by the Swordfish. Without casualties I think.

I just reread the part about Rodney/Nelson and radar. I thought that the placement of an Admirals flag bridge on Nelson meant there wasn't room for the radar. Seems this is incorrect. Rodney got the radar because otherwise the admiral's FLAG would be partly obscured by a radar mast.

Q: Which country had an artillery piece designed in 1904, that saw extensive use in WW1. Some of these mothballed guns were recalled for combat use in 1940. Amazingly, 110 years later, they are still in use in that army today.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2473
RE: Next quiz - 1/1/2012 8:15:39 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

I remember Sheffield was keeping Bismark in contact and was there to direct the Swordfish to attack. Sheffield was attacked by the Swordfish. Without casualties I think.

I just reread the part about Rodney/Nelson and radar. I thought that the placement of an Admirals flag bridge on Nelson meant there wasn't room for the radar. Seems this is incorrect. Rodney got the radar because otherwise the admiral's FLAG would be partly obscured by a radar mast.

Q: Which country had an artillery piece designed in 1904, that saw extensive use in WW1. Some of these mothballed guns were recalled for combat use in 1940. Amazingly, 110 years later, they are still in use in that army today.

France. 75mm

Edit:... is the wrong answer.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 1/1/2012 8:17:59 AM >

Paul

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 2474
RE: Next quiz - 1/2/2012 8:44:51 PM   
ezzler

The gun is a 13pdr quickfire. it was obsolescent in 1914.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 2475
RE: Next quiz - 1/4/2012 2:55:31 AM   
brian brian

not quite a quiz question, but not sure how else to figure this one out. perhaps not even from WWII, but I think so.

Who said "the first casualty of contact with the enemy is the plan" ? Or something quite similar? Could be an American Civil War quote perhaps too.

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 2476
RE: Next quiz - 1/4/2012 8:38:49 AM   
warspite1

The phrase I know of is:

No plan survives contact with the enemy.

It has been attributed to Napoleon, von Moltke the Elder and von Clausewitz. As far as I know, no one knows.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 2477
RE: Next quiz - 1/5/2012 4:36:49 AM   
brian brian

quote:

The gun is a 13pdr quickfire. it was obsolescent in 1914.

but, but ... tell us what country. 'pdr' implies England ... ???

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 2478
RE: Next quiz - 1/5/2012 4:39:36 AM   
brian brian

Here is a quiz question. During WWII where in the world did the US Coast Guard capture a war prize (ship) and sail it away for continued use with their own forces?

Post #: 2479
RE: Next quiz - 1/5/2012 11:17:13 PM   
ezzler

Correct!

It is England.
The 13pdr was the gun designed to overcome the problems encountered by the Royal Horse Artillery in the Boer war. It was in action successfully in 1914 but was soon seen to be too light and too small for the Great War.

It was pulled out of storage to equip pillboxes in the UK in 1940.

It remains in service with the King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery for ceremonial and salute purposes.

Post #: 2480
RE: Next quiz - 1/7/2012 4:05:02 AM   
brian brian

ahh, no guesses on where the US Coast Guard took a war-prize, 19th Century style?

I will give you a pretty weak clue, but an even better quiz question:

In this same area, a Ju-290 (yes, they really flew), landed in what in WiF would be an Allied controlled hex, and took off again. Where was this?

No, the Ju-290 was not a post-war captured model. The Luftwaffe flew this mission.

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 2481
RE: Next quiz - 1/7/2012 7:34:15 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

ahh, no guesses on where the US Coast Guard took a war-prize, 19th Century style?

I will give you a pretty weak clue, but an even better quiz question:

In this same area, a Ju-290 (yes, they really flew), landed in what in WiF would be an Allied controlled hex, and took off again. Where was this?

No, the Ju-290 was not a post-war captured model. The Luftwaffe flew this mission.

Greenland?

Paul

Post #: 2482
RE: Next quiz - 1/7/2012 4:40:00 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

Here is a quiz question. During WWII where in the world did the US Coast Guard capture a war prize (ship) and sail it away for continued use with their own forces?

Was the USA at war at the time?

If the USA was not at war it would be in Greenland involving Norwegians working for the Germans.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

Post #: 2483
RE: Next quiz - 1/7/2012 7:03:17 PM   
paulderynck

And the Danes would have been mystified as to just what the heck the Norwegians were doing there.

Paul

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2484
RE: Next quiz - 1/7/2012 7:34:37 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

And the Danes would have been mystified as to just what the heck the Norwegians were doing there.
Warspite1

Post #: 2485
RE: Next quiz - 1/8/2012 1:27:35 AM   
brian brian

Paul got it correct, the US Coast Guard captured a German ship busy landing a weather team on the east shore of Greenland. This was during the war, about 43 I think. In 44, the Germans landed a heavily armed but not heavily motivated weather team on Greenland, with certain figures in the German high command hoping their site could be used as a refueling point for a Ju-290 bombing raid on New York City.

A separate weather team and ship in 1944 got stuck in ice off Greenland, and a Ju-290 landed on the ice and rescued the entire team and flew back to German territory, I've read both France or Norway but I would think Norway was more likely.

The Danes would not have been mystified about Norwegians in Greenland; citizens of both countries staffed hunting companies that harvested wild game in Greenland. Using this as a cover, the Germans sent such a team of Quislings to the east coast of Greenland in early 1941 to set up a weather station. This was before the USA was in the war, but after Greenland had sought US protection, and thus their east coast was already patrolled by the US Coast Guard. The USCG arrested this team as criminals with a charge of ..... what?

OK, an esoteric question to be sure, so I'll give you another more straightforward one. Interestingly, I have read that Greenland is part of the Americas and the western hemisphere, but is not part of the North American continent.

Where on the North American continent did the Germans land armed, active duty military personnel? Hint 1: Not the saboteurs landed in the USA. Hint 2: also in an Allied-controlled hex, not a neutral country.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2486
RE: Next quiz - 1/8/2012 10:45:44 AM   
Extraneous

quote:

Paul

September 12, 1941 ~ Coast Guard makes the first capture of WWII

The Greenland Patrol

In June and July 1941, the American naval forces congregating around Greenland were organized officially into the Greenland Patrol. The Northeast Greenland Patrol, with Iceberg Smith in command, consisted of the Cutter USCGC Northland (WPG-49), the wooden-hulled former survey ship Cutter USCGC North Star (WPG-59) and an old friend of the Coast Guard now flying a Navy pennant, the USS Bear (AG-29).

The Bear, a former seal catcher built in 1875 and used by the Revenue Cutter Service for years on the Bering Sea Patrol, now sported a modernized superstructure and an aircraft. The South Greenland Patrol, under LCDR Belcher of the Modoc, included the cutter Comanche, the Coast Guard icebreaking tug Raritan, and the Navy auxiliary schooner Bowdoin. In October, the two commands were consolidated under CDR Smith as the Greenland Patrol, designated Task Force 24.8 under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Atlantic Fleet.

A memorandum from ADM Harold Stark, the Chief of Naval Operations, outlined the mission of the Greenland Patrol:

"1. Naval operations will be required in Greenland ... for two purposes. The first purpose is to support the Army in ... establishing in Greenland airdrome facilities for use in ferrying aircraft to the British Isles.

2. The second purpose is to defend Greenland and specifically to prevent German operations in Northeast Greenland."

Iceberg Smith was, as Samuel Eliot Morison, the Navy's operational historian, put it after the war, being ordered "to do a little of everything - the Coast Guard is used to that."
The Army, on the basis of the information obtained by the South Greenland Survey, identified 13 sites, codenamed "BLUIE bases," that it thought could be turned into military installations. The most promising of these was located on a glacial moraine a few miles from the village of Narsarssuak.

In June 1941, a steady traffic of Army freighters and troop transports began steaming from Argentia, Newfoundland, to Narsarssuak, accompanied by Coast Guard cutters to protect them from U-boats and break up the storis (large drifts of ice) in their paths. By September, the Army engineers had constructed 85 buildings and three miles of access roads; the jeeps that were flown in were Greenland's first automobiles. Shortly a civilian contractor's force arrived to begin work on the airfield itself. BLUIE West 1 was to become the major U.S. Army, Navy and Coast Guard base in Greenland. Thousands of aircraft would stop there for refueling on their way to Britain.

< Message edited by Extraneous -- 1/8/2012 5:26:04 PM >

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

Post #: 2487
RE: Next quiz - 1/8/2012 9:17:28 PM   
Orm

I am looking for a place.

1) The first bombing here came as a suprise to the defenders although they had recived warnings but not acted upon them.
2) A majority of the aircraft in the first bombing came from four carriers.

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2488
RE: Next quiz - 1/8/2012 9:50:01 PM   
paulderynck

Taranto.

Paul

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2489
RE: Next quiz - 1/8/2012 9:59:15 PM   
Orm

No, not Taranto. The Taranto raid was launched from one carrier.

Post #: 2490
Page:   <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Next quiz Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI