Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Games you want to see

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Games you want to see Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Games you want to see - 7/19/2008 6:16:43 AM   
Neilster

1. Something like The Operational Art of War 3 but with Airborne Assault style orders delegation.
2. An update to the Combat Mission series
3. A new WW2 tank sim

In the mean time, I'll wait for World in Flames.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 31
RE: Games you want to see - 7/19/2008 2:21:07 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

Combat Mission 4, but camera controls still suck. I want CM with better camera controls (as in Ground Control, for example).

[edit]
Now when I mentioned it, new Ground Control (the original) type game would be neat: limited amount of forces on the map without any hope for reinforcements for any side.

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 7/19/2008 2:23:32 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 32
RE: Games you want to see - 7/19/2008 3:24:39 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

Combat Mission 4, but camera controls still suck. I want CM with better camera controls (as in Ground Control, for example).

[edit]
Now when I mentioned it, new Ground Control (the original) type game would be neat: limited amount of forces on the map without any hope for reinforcements for any side.

What don't you like about the camera controls? Do you think the player has too much of a god's-eye-view?

IMHO CM's system of reinforcements turning up semi-randomly is pretty good (although I'm certainly no expert) and adds interest. Perhaps the make-up of the reinforcements could be variable, modelling break-downs and diversions etc.

If you want to make random battles or scenarios without reinforcements you can. I thought the major issue many people have with this series is "borg spotting".

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 33
RE: Games you want to see - 7/19/2008 7:14:22 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

What don't you like about the camera controls?

Too many controls and no full use of mouse: why doesn't mouse wheel do anything? Ground Control, Dawn of War and few other RTS games have it simple & easy: mouse wheel zooms in/out, right-click & drag rotates camera and angle, mouse cursor to screen edges moves the camera. No such joy with CM serie

quote:

IMHO CM's system of reinforcements turning up semi-randomly is pretty good (although I'm certainly no expert) and adds interest. Perhaps the make-up of the reinforcements could be variable, modelling break-downs and diversions etc.

Huh? I didn't know about that. Anyways it sounds less sucky than bases, resources, points and other typical RTS crap (as in C&C serie, Dawn of War, Ground Control 2, and many others).

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 34
RE: Games you want to see - 7/19/2008 7:29:33 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

What don't you like about the camera controls?

Too many controls and no full use of mouse: why doesn't mouse wheel do anything? Ground Control, Dawn of War and few other RTS games have it simple & easy: mouse wheel zooms in/out, right-click & drag rotates camera and angle, mouse cursor to screen edges moves the camera. No such joy with CM serie

quote:

Huh? I didn't know about that. Anyways it sounds less sucky than bases, resources, points and other typical RTS crap (as in C&C serie, Dawn of War, Ground Control 2, and many others).

Scroll wheel support for camera views would be good, although I don't mind hitting 1, 2, 3 etc with my left hand or sweeping down to the up/down arrows for that. Mouse cursor to the upper half of the screen edge rotates camera and to the lower half moves it. I find it pretty easy to use.

Cheers, Neilster

< Message edited by Neilster -- 7/19/2008 7:30:16 PM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 35
RE: Games you want to see - 7/19/2008 7:45:29 PM   
Warfare1

What I'd like to see is a turn-based ancient Roman game that includes:

* A grand campaign (beginning to end)
* Punic Wars campaign
* Civil Wars campaign
* Fall of the Roman Empire Campaign

Each campaign would include a number of scenarios where troops would carry over their experience from scenario to scenario; up-grades would be possible based on year, etc...

Have research; siege warfare; building of forts, entrenchments, etc...

Units could be cohorts, that could be combined to create legions, that could be combined to create Consular Armies...

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 36
RE: Games you want to see - 7/19/2008 9:06:21 PM   
Vulcain

Hi,

I would like to play a new version of Age of Rifles, the PC game about XIX century battles.

Games played : JTCS /TOAWIII /HPS PzC /HPS ACW /Virtual Pool 3 ...

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 37
RE: Games you want to see - 7/19/2008 11:21:34 PM   
Deathtreader

An Airborne Assault series style game that's one level higher than HTTR/COTA i.e. battalion/company level maneuver units instead of company/platoon.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to Moster)
Post #: 38
RE: Games you want to see - 7/19/2008 11:53:17 PM   
panzers

Even though Matrix has one, I would like to see more of the ancient Greek wars. Those were some of the most fierce warriors in history and am always fascinated by how they went about being a soldier from the time they were born. Also I would love to blend it in with the culture. Not until the modern age with the computer was there ever in the history of man where a nation or ethnic group like the Athenians, and Spartans, Cretans and such so advanced with their technology. With the astronomy, the invention of literacy and the alphabet, the revolution in art,sports(olympic games) hell, they're the ones that created Democracy.
I say one game because Gates of Troy is exactly the same as Spartan only more scenerios. So it's kind of hard to include Spartan in there.

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 39
RE: Games you want to see - 7/20/2008 2:09:04 AM   
Vyshka

Games I would like to see made:

Perhaps a wargame that tracks your career as an officer. Starting out at a low rank you have to complete squad level missions. Then you move up and the operational level goes up as well.

Games I would like to see remade:

both SimTex titles: Master of Magic & Master of Orion
Starflight
Elite
Perhaps an MMO version of the old Compuserve game MegaWars III
7 Cities of Gold

Games that I want to see that are in development:

Grigsby's newest EF creation
Combined Arms
Will Wright's Spore
Koger's Jutland

< Message edited by Vyshka -- 7/20/2008 2:11:54 AM >

(in reply to Hentzau)
Post #: 40
RE: Games you want to see - 7/20/2008 2:20:29 AM   
Lascar

A strategic level turn based game on Genghis Khan and the Mongol Empires is a subject that has long been overlooked.

Also Strategic level Peloponnesian war and Alexander the Great's campaigns and the period following his death (Ptolemaic, Seleucid empires etc.)

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 41
RE: Games you want to see - 7/20/2008 3:54:58 AM   
panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lascar

A strategic level turn based game on Genghis Khan and the Mongol Empires is a subject that has long been overlooked.

Also Strategic level Peloponnesian war and Alexander the Great's campaigns and the period following his death (Ptolemaic, Seleucid empires etc.)

You, sir, are a man after my own heart. You hit the nail right on the head with all those.

(in reply to Lascar)
Post #: 42
RE: Games you want to see - 7/20/2008 4:10:12 AM   
pasternakski

Yep, Warfare1 and Lascar have my vote as the men of the hour on this. These all would get my little ancient heart a-pumpin'.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 43
RE: Games you want to see - 7/20/2008 7:32:15 AM   
fmonster

Oh, I would also like a modern version of Steel Panthers. Turn-based, of course, and still set in WWII. Much better graphics with all the bells and whistles. One of my favorite WW2 games of all time!

Matrix Games Owned

- American Civil War
- Forge Of Freedom
- John Tiller's Campaign Series
- TOAW III
- War In The Pacific
- War In The Pacific AE
- War Plan Orange
- SP:WaW
- Brother Against Brother
- Carriers at War

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 44
RE: Games you want to see - 7/20/2008 7:56:58 AM   
Khornish

quote:

ORIGINAL: benpark

A 3d Napoleonic version of the "Tin Soldiers" games (see below) with an easy to use scenario editor and map maker.

I'd like to see a 3d wargame "sandbox" that allows you to set up a table and place terrain and structures, and then choose the time period and play out a tabletop style game. Different rule sets could be plugged in to the system. Napoleonic, both World Wars, Victorian and ACW would be my preference. Graphics would look like an extremely well done tabletop miniature game with firing animations and smoke etc.

All would need to have a decent AI.

Have you heard of HistWar? It may be something up your alley. If you've not checked it out yet, google it.

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 45
RE: Games you want to see - 7/20/2008 8:27:18 AM   
PBI

I would love to see Federation & Empire come to the computer.  I dearly love the board game, but the old pitfalls of space and time keep rearing their ugly heads.

If you can survive death, you can probably survive just about anything.

(in reply to Hentzau)
Post #: 46
RE: Games you want to see - 7/20/2008 8:23:41 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

Yep, Warfare1 and Lascar have my vote as the men of the hour on this. These all would get my little ancient heart a-pumpin'.

I'm currently reading a number of books about ancient Rome. In particular, Bagnall's "The Punic Wars" is an excellent book.

While I've been reading this book it is easy to see how a campaign about the Punic Wars would be a joy to play. Rome and Carthage were the superpowers of the ancient world. Naval warfare involved fleets of hundreds of ships; armies of tens of thousands clashed on open battlefields; some of the great battles such as Trebbia, Cannae, Zama, are still studied today.

Ancient Rome lasted a thousand years: its architecture, art, laws, roads, etc are still visible and are still copied to this day.

We have WWII, Civil War, and Napoleonic games galore. But why a game about ancient Rome has not been made yet is a question I have yet to find an answer to.

Just read a good book about Hannibal's campaign against Rome; or Caesar's battles in Gaul, especially at Alesia; or wonder over how some of the greatest generals in antiquity - Caesar, Pompey the Great, Mark Antony, etc clashed in their civil wars (the end of which Octavian/Augustus ended up fielding 60 legions!); or when great masses of Vandals, Goths, and Huns invaded Roman territory; and one's imagination is set on fire....

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 7/20/2008 8:32:35 PM >

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 47
RE: Games you want to see - 7/20/2008 8:53:29 PM   
V22 Osprey

I'd like to see:
A WW2 game using the CM:Shock Force graphics engine.

A remake of SPWAW or a new Steel Panthers game.

A operational level game with as much replayability as SPWAW.

A game focusing on smaller battles using a World in Flames type engine.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 48
RE: Games you want to see - 7/20/2008 9:02:36 PM   
benpark

quote:

ORIGINAL: Khornish

Have you heard of HistWar? It may be something up your alley. If you've not checked it out yet, google it.

Indeed, I have. I'm looking forward to it. I'd still like something more miniatures like and turn based/WEGO as well.

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to Khornish)
Post #: 49
RE: Games you want to see - 7/20/2008 9:18:28 PM   
fvianello

1. The Next War from SPI
2. Imperium Romanum II from GDW (I think)

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 50
RE: Games you want to see - 7/21/2008 2:20:00 AM   
Lascar

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lascar

You, sir, are a man after my own heart. You hit the nail right on the head with all those.

It would be fascinating to explore an alternative what-if strategy of Alexander turning west after his conquest of Persia. Going against an early Roman republic and Carthage instead of messing with India.
And what if the Khan had not died and the irresistible Mongols had continued their advance into Europe. It is hard to imagine any set of European armies being able to stop them.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 51
RE: Games you want to see - 7/21/2008 4:12:31 AM   
madgamer2

Action Stations perhaps?

Madgamer

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 52
RE: Games you want to see - 7/21/2008 4:20:53 AM   
madgamer2

OK I read the whole list and as strange as it may sound there was a SPI game on the war of 1870 that we played till the counters were lost or worn! I don't see the war of 1870 being at the top of any designer's list (SIGH). I can dream though.

Madgamer

(in reply to Moster)
Post #: 53
RE: Games you want to see - 8/21/2008 4:09:44 AM   
lordhoff

- The rise and expansion of the Mongol empire

- A strategy level game during the colonial era (there used to be a board game out I think called "Pax Britania" that gave me the idea - had great fun with that one)

- An expansion to Crown of Empire that includes the pre-Napolean years of the French revolution (say 1793 -start of CoE)

- Coverage of the Frederick I era

(in reply to Moster)
Post #: 54
RE: Games you want to see - 8/21/2008 7:07:36 AM   
John 3rd

I would vote for a pair already mentioned:

Great Naval Battles by SSI (I wish this could be blended togther with WitP!)

Star Fleet Battles

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to lordhoff)
Post #: 55
RE: Games you want to see - 8/21/2008 3:09:06 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: lordhoff

- The rise and expansion of the Mongol empire

Age of Empire II: Age of Kings

quote:

Star Fleet Battles

Starfleet Command II: Orion Pirates

MekWars

(in reply to lordhoff)
Post #: 56
RE: Games you want to see - 8/21/2008 3:32:00 PM   
dgk196

A 'battalion' version of the JTCS. Only with 'accurate' airpower and seapower. No 'off board' artillery treatments!

A up to date version of ADC2 (the best program I"ve never used). Inputs should be 'intuitive', follow current input concepts and commands
The import of maps and counters being easy, as it would be critical to this 'game'. All 'art' should be compatible with such programs as 'photoshop', etc........

Dennis

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 57
RE: Games you want to see - 8/21/2008 3:44:59 PM   
Banquet

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1

A SSI Naval Battles game, 1942 Naval game by Microprose. Something that allows you to control fleets of WW1-WW2 warships and get into damage control targeting, etc...

An RPG/strategy game as a German Raider, such as the Graff Spee.

That would be one of my most wanted games, definitely!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ike99

Remake of ¨Buzz Aldrins Race into Space¨

And this would be another one. Not necessarily the same era, but controlling a Space Agency, deciding on manned/robotic missions, where they'd go, how complex and expensive they should be, getting more or less funding based on success or failure. Preferably pretty detailed with lots of options for design and testing with important aspects like launch and touchdown being viewing realtime. I'd love to see a game/sim like that!!

(in reply to dgk196)
Post #: 58
RE: Games you want to see - 8/21/2008 4:35:50 PM   
V22 Osprey

For me:
Company of Heroes as a Real time Tactics game instead of the base building and resorce collecting.
A airborne Assault type game,but it does other battles besides airborne ones.
A airborne assault type game,but at squad level(like a real-time pausible ASL)
Steel Panthers game with Lock n Load:Heroes of Stalingrad FX and graphics

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 59
RE: Games you want to see - 8/21/2008 6:10:40 PM   
cantona2

a rpg on the lines of baldurs gate/NWN based in the Warhammer 40K universe

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to Hentzau)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Games you want to see Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI