Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

GGWAW,GGWAWAWD

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Tech Support >> GGWAW,GGWAWAWD Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
GGWAW,GGWAWAWD - 7/31/2008 10:25:57 PM   
panzers

Ok wanderinghead. It's as I said, I cannot possibly get a game of global glory in and if I had a dime for ever time my game crashed on both games I could buy out Matrix right now. I love the game but it is completely unplayable for me and I have had 3 computers since the original as well as 4 os. ( I had vista replaced with xp on the current computer)
With that being said, I have about 12 other games from Matrix including the unplayable EiA, and have almost never had any problems with them. So what is it about the Gary Grigsby games that I have so many problems? If you think I'm gonna buy GGWBTS, I'm not because I don't trust his games and that is unfortunate.
Post #: 1
RE: GGWAW,GGWAWAWD - 8/1/2008 1:25:40 AM   
Lucky1

Rather interesting. WAW / AWD have been ultra stable for me. The only time that I have had crashes was a result of the the incompatible save in the save folder (if you don't have the new beta patch, delete the autosave). However, I feel your pain - I recently purchased WWII-Road to Victory and have found it utterly unplayable (crash / freeze all the time). Seemingly, there are numerous folks who have no problems....

You will probably need to provide more information pertaining to your system for any meaningful help to be possible.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 2
RE: GGWAW,GGWAWAWD - 8/1/2008 3:00:40 AM   
WanderingHead

You mention both GGWAW and GGWAW-AWD. We should focus on one thing. Let's just focus on GGWAW-AWD (support for GGWAW is long gone), and try to get enough information to do something about the problem.

Questions:

Does GGWAW-AWD (specifically, let's not talk about GGWAW) fail for you?

Have you tried the latest patch, 1.030? (maybe we get lucky with a bug fix)

At what point does it fail? Start up? Menu screens? start of game? several minutes into game? whenever you do XYZ?

Are your video drivers current and up to date?

Anything else suspicious like funny looking graphics?

Things to try:

turn off the music

low resolution + windowed mode (set to low res & windowed, exit game immediately, restart)

provide a DxDiag (instructions top of support forum). Morgan Stream Switcher is a common incompatibility problem.

Computer systems are mighty complex these days. Not to minimize the importance of fixing your problem, it is killer frustrating not to be able to play a good game (and you shouldn't pay for something that won't work). But I hope you understand how hard it is to debug remotely when I cannot reproduce the problem, and for that matter most people (apparently) cannot reproduce the problem. Obviously, there is something different about your computer from most other computers, we need to figure out how to appropriately modify your system or get AWD to work with it.

Good luck. Let me know and we'll go from there.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 3
RE: GGWAW,GGWAWAWD - 8/1/2008 3:42:28 AM   
panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: WanderingHead

You mention both GGWAW and GGWAW-AWD. We should focus on one thing. Let's just focus on GGWAW-AWD (support for GGWAW is long gone), and try to get enough information to do something about the problem.

Questions:

Does GGWAW-AWD (specifically, let's not talk about GGWAW) fail for you?

Have you tried the latest patch, 1.030? (maybe we get lucky with a bug fix)

At what point does it fail? Start up? Menu screens? start of game? several minutes into game? whenever you do XYZ?

Are your video drivers current and up to date?

Anything else suspicious like funny looking graphics?

Things to try:

turn off the music

low resolution + windowed mode (set to low res & windowed, exit game immediately, restart)

provide a DxDiag (instructions top of support forum). Morgan Stream Switcher is a common incompatibility problem.

Computer systems are mighty complex these days. Not to minimize the importance of fixing your problem, it is killer frustrating not to be able to play a good game (and you shouldn't pay for something that won't work). But I hope you understand how hard it is to debug remotely when I cannot reproduce the problem, and for that matter most people (apparently) cannot reproduce the problem. Obviously, there is something different about your computer from most other computers, we need to figure out how to appropriately modify your system or get AWD to work with it.

Good luck. Let me know and we'll go from there.

AMD Athlon pentium D duel core 64*2 processer with 3 gig RAM. Yes I have the latest patch. Isn't that the one that introduces Global Glory? That game in particular is impossible for me to play for it crashes before I ever get a second turn.
Video card: Nvidia GeForce 8700GT. Graphics are fine. It's been a while since I played any of the other scenerios, but when I did, it was a different computer or this one when I had Vista on itm but at any time it may crash, not as often as the original, but I really thought they would have corrected the problem with AWD
Update: I just uninstalled it and re-installed it and now I can't even start a game without it crashing. What am I supposed to do? Get rid of the 1.2 update?

< Message edited by panzers -- 8/1/2008 4:20:20 AM >

(in reply to WanderingHead)
Post #: 4
RE: GGWAW,GGWAWAWD - 8/1/2008 5:48:22 AM   
WanderingHead

quote:

What am I supposed to do? Get rid of the 1.2 update?

1. install the GGWAW-AWD v1.030 patch from 2 days ago (Global Glory was introduced in v1.020, the prior patch). There were some minor changes to the engine that interfaces with DX9 (the microsoft 3D graphics library). I have no reason to think it will fix the problem, but maybe. Worth trying.

2. turn off the music

3. low resolution + windowed mode (set to low res & windowed, exit game immediately, restart)

4. provide a DxDiag (instructions top of support forum). Morgan Stream Switcher is a common incompatibility problem.

The problem is probably related to DX9 and graphics drivers. It always seems like the problems are related to these. The complexity is that you have a different system from everyone else (different versions of DX9, different graphics drivers, maybe some funky things installed when you bought a digital camera, whatever ... there are just two many different drivers and DLLs out there to really know exactly what to focus on).

If none of the above helps or reveals anything, I will have a hard time assisting you. I am far from an expert on DX9 and drivers. I may have to punt and hope someone else from Matrix can step in.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 5
RE: GGWAW,GGWAWAWD - 8/1/2008 7:18:12 AM   
panzers

quote:

quote:

What am I supposed to do? Get rid of the 1.2 update?

1. install the GGWAW-AWD v1.030 patch from 2 days ago (Global Glory was introduced in v1.020, the prior patch). There were some minor changes to the engine that interfaces with DX9 (the microsoft 3D graphics library). I have no reason to think it will fix the problem, but maybe. Worth trying.

2. turn off the music

3. low resolution + windowed mode (set to low res & windowed, exit game immediately, restart)

4. provide a DxDiag (instructions top of support forum). Morgan Stream Switcher is a common incompatibility problem.

The problem is probably related to DX9 and graphics drivers. It always seems like the problems are related to these. The complexity is that you have a different system from everyone else (different versions of DX9, different graphics drivers, maybe some funky things installed when you bought a digital camera, whatever ... there are just two many different drivers and DLLs out there to really know exactly what to focus on).

If none of the above helps or reveals anything, I will have a hard time assisting you. I am far from an expert on DX9 and drivers. I may have to punt and hope someone else from Matrix can step in.

I went to the members club page and 1.03 wasn't in there. I can lower the resolution, but the idea that I would have to do that with my gra[hics card is ludicrus. That card is able to support just about every game on the market.
So what is dx9? and what is Morgan Stream sitcher? I never heard of that

Post #: 6
RE: GGWAW,GGWAWAWD - 8/1/2008 7:27:03 AM   
panzers

This is getting rediculous. I did all that and now I get a runtime error, so I tried running it again and now I have a fatal error directed at my very serial code.
I am ****ed with this game.
It's getting to the point that it's going to harm my computer now.
Needless to say, WBTS is absolutely not an option and I am not very happy about that.

< Message edited by panzers -- 8/1/2008 7:29:01 AM >

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 7
RE: GGWAW,GGWAWAWD - 8/1/2008 2:11:04 PM   
Lucky1

Isn't the runtime error what comes up as a result of the incompatible save?

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 8
RE: GGWAW,GGWAWAWD - 8/1/2008 2:12:55 PM   
Lucky1

I forgot to mention there are a few other threads in this forum pertaining to the runtime / save issue. Give them a try..... It is actually a pretty easy fix, if it is the problem....

(in reply to Lucky1)
Post #: 9
RE: GGWAW,GGWAWAWD - 8/1/2008 4:40:14 PM   
WanderingHead

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzers
So what is dx9? and what is Morgan Stream sitcher?

Morgan Stream Switcher I don't exactly know, some kind of graphics driver that gets installed by something else (even if you have it, you have probably never heard of it).

DX9 I mentioned before in post #5. It is the Microsoft 3D graphics engine that many Windows games use, including GGWAW-AWD.

quote:

I did all that

Please post the DxDiag result you generated so we can look at it. The instructions are at the top of the support forum.

quote:

This is getting rediculous. I did all that and now I get a runtime error, so I tried running it again and now I have a fatal error directed at my very serial code.

It is very difficult to help you. Your descriptions are always very vague. Specifics help. For example, tell me what screen you are on, what you are doing, how long you have been doing it, when it crashes. Don't just say "it crashes". I'm afraid that really doesn't help.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 10
RE: GGWAW,GGWAWAWD - 8/1/2008 7:04:27 PM   
panzers

quote:

quote:

So what is dx9? and what is Morgan Stream sitcher?

Morgan Stream Switcher I don't exactly know, some kind of graphics driver that gets installed by something else (even if you have it, you have probably never heard of it).

DX9 I mentioned before in post #5. It is the Microsoft 3D graphics engine that many Windows games use, including GGWAW-AWD.

quote:

I did all that

Please post the DxDiag result you generated so we can look at it. The instructions are at the top of the support forum.

quote:

It is very difficult to help you. Your descriptions are always very vague. Specifics help. For example, tell me what screen you are on, what you are doing, how long you have been doing it, when it crashes. Don't just say "it crashes". I'm afraid that really doesn't help.

Before I am even able to start a game when I set up the minimun requirements, that's when the scren locked up and I got the fatal error. What else do you need to know. I simply cannot even start a game anymore, and I don't know what a DxDiag is
OK I did find it and ran it just like you said. I guess the next question I have is: where would I see that there would be Morgan stream switcher?

< Message edited by panzers -- 8/1/2008 7:18:12 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: GGWAW,GGWAWAWD - 8/1/2008 8:34:56 PM   
WanderingHead

quote:

Before I am even able to start a game when I set up the minimun requirements, that's when the scren locked up and I got the fatal error. What else do you need to know. I simply cannot even start a game anymore, and I don't know what a DxDiag is
OK I did find it and ran it just like you said. I guess the next question I have is: where would I see that there would be Morgan stream switcher?

You can search the DxDiag report for "Morgan", if you don't find it then you don't have it. You could also post the DxDiag here for others to look at.

I don't know what you mean by "set up the minimum requirements".

My guess is that you
* start the awd.exe program
* it goes through it's loading screen (about 30-40 seconds for me)
* it begins on the main menu screen
* you go to the configuration screen (with the resolution etc)
* it crashes

Is that right?

I'm afraid I don't know how to help with that. It seems like a strange time and place for it to crash. I've seen crashes right when the game is started (scenario selected and hit "go"), which were proceeded by funny looking graphics. This was some kind of problem with my NVidia drivers, I fixed it by changing drivers but never figured out the root cause (I can't claim whether the blame lies on NVidia versus AWD, but replacing the drivers did eliminate the problem).

BTW and FYI, be aware that I am merely a fan and volunteer trying to help out, I'm not an employee of Matrix or 2by3.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 12
RE: GGWAW,GGWAWAWD - 8/2/2008 8:50:02 AM   
Lucky1

It is appreciated, btw.

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Tech Support >> GGWAW,GGWAWAWD Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI