Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Newby strategy - help needed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Newby strategy - help needed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newby strategy - help needed - 10/3/2008 7:15:30 AM   
andyinkuwait

While pondering my options as CP...why cant I bypass Liege completely in 1914 and pass south and southwest of it and then onto Brussels?
I notice there is a strategy of bypassing Liege from North by declaring war on Netherlands but why bother if you can bypass south?
what is the danger in this type of bypass south?
Post #: 1
RE: Newby strategy - help needed - 10/3/2008 8:46:14 AM   
vinnie71

You don't need to bypass Liege. Just don't attack it on the first impulse. In the first impulse just bombard it with your siege guns (and if possible bring additional guns by redeploying it from Ruprecht or some other Rhine army and moving Kluck HQ behind the lines.) Hit Liege during the second impulse with the Guard Corps backed by the siege guns and artillery barrage. You'll take small losses and the delay is a blessing in disguise.

(in reply to andyinkuwait)
Post #: 2
RE: Newby strategy - help needed - 10/3/2008 10:43:08 AM   
andyinkuwait

I suppose what I'm really saying is 'Why do I have to attack Liege at all??' 

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 3
RE: Newby strategy - help needed - 10/3/2008 12:15:21 PM   
hjaco

If you want to bypass Liege in turn one then I recommend you do it both to the north and south. In the north your advance won't be hindered in force which may happen in the south.

You need to take Liege in order to conquer Belgium. Sure - the defenders will eventually run out of food but you may deplete the food resource in the meantime and those defenders in Liege forces you to protect following up HQ and artillery and may threaten your supply.

(in reply to andyinkuwait)
Post #: 4
RE: Newby strategy - help needed - 10/3/2008 4:23:18 PM   
vinnie71

Liege will allow you to stretch your attack front against the allies who will have to stretch their forces rather thinly. Its important that initially the Germans deploy on as wide a front as possible because they have overwhelming numbers compared to the French and British. The French will slowly move forces to block you but since they're spread thin, they become vulnerable to a numerically superior German army. BTW not taking Liege may delay not only your advance, but also the collapse of Belgium.

Initially the numbers are in favour of the CP and therefore use them to destroy as much of the French army in the opening moves as possible. Though the French will get their reinforcements in Paris, they will have to spread them out in order to shore up their front, which means that a few 3 corps stacks can really break through wherever you want. Also by spreading out, you'll be able to outflank the French border defences and take them from multiple sides.

(in reply to hjaco)
Post #: 5
RE: Newby strategy - help needed - 10/4/2008 1:39:34 AM   
ILCK

You can usually storm Liege on turn 1 with a full strength stack.  You need to take it to collapse the Belgians and it gets to be problematic having that big block sitting in your path of advance.

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Newby strategy - help needed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI