Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 9/4/2002 11:10:25 AM   
Galka

I'm reading ][I]On to Berlin[/I] Gen. James Gavin's autobiography.
He became General of the 82nd Airborne suring WW2 having worked his way from Captain.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Panzer Leo

The PzFst was used as "super heavy handgrenade" quite often.
If you look at some numbers:
over 8 million were produced, 3 million were still in service on may 45.
Of these 5 million used or lost PzFsts, let's assume only one fifth was actually fired at the enemy, the rest lost, captured, destroyed or whatever...

[I] Or whatever could include use by US troops on the enemy. Gavin Claims that truckloads of the Panzerfaust were available to his troops after Normandy. The PF was his divisions preferred AT weapon. He claims the bazooka was a very poor weapon for taking out panzers head on. He even went on to point out that bazookas were as useless during the Korean war on Soviet T-34/85s[/I]

Further comments on this appreciated, as it's not an easy subject...maybe someone has more insight on rocket usage against infantry...

[I] I can't recall the author but I've recently read of an american soldier who while fighting in europe had suffered an attack by either a PF or panzerschrek. He felt infuriated that this weapon was used on personell and recalled that they didn't use their bazooka's against infantry.

Pick up Gavin's book for some insight and small unit battle reports.

"In light of my experience, I consider that your conclusion that the attacker needs a three to one superiority is under the mark, rather than over it. I would say that, for success, the attacker needs six to one or seven to one against a well-knit defence

(in reply to Panzer Leo)
Post #: 91
- 9/4/2002 9:49:54 PM   
JediMessiah

heya all,

warming up to this mod in a hurry....may make it my only version, or at least the only version ill play against the us in (hehe)

1 request.....

any way you could translate the german oob in the patch?

would make my life so much easier (and prolly seal the deal on h2h vs 7.1)

-jedimessiah

"Karate means never having to say you're sorry"
-E. Andrew Kovich

(in reply to Panzer Leo)
Post #: 92
- 9/4/2002 10:53:34 PM   
Panzer Leo

That is, what I mainly heard of, Galka...the German Inf-AT weapons were often used by US troops, especially Panzerschrecks. The US soldiers found out, that they could knock out Panthers with it :D

I included Panzerfaust and Panzerschreck as limited available in late war for US troops...especially Ardennes saw some action with US PzFausts...but they are quite expensive :rolleyes:

From a US test comparing M9 Bazooka and Panzerschreck made in the 2nd Armored Division, I learned that the PzSchreck was easier to use against infantry, as the igniter of the rocket was better and immediately detonated, when the rocket hit the ground. The Bazooka round often failed to detonate on odd angles or soft ground (depending partly on the fact that it was more prone to "tumbling" in flight and being not as stable as the PzSchreck rocket).

Hi JediMessiah !

English names would mean a new set of OOBs...I don't like that idea (PBEM security...)

...well, let's see it as a kind of deal: I invested a bit time in making this version and the way you pay me for that is by learning a few German words :D

Believe me, you'll love it after you played the first battles and you will not even notice it's German in the future...this is a prooven fact, tested by hundreds of US players ;)
And if you ever should meet a German, you can say great words in his language to him like PanzerGrenadier and Nebelwerfer (I don't guarantee he will like you then, though...)...isn't that worth all the effort :D

Do we have a deal ? :cool:

[URL=http://www.theblitz.org/member_sites/panzer_leo_spw@w/spwaw_h2h_modrework.php] [IMG]http://www.theblitz.org/member_sites/panzer_leo_spw@w/PzLeos-H2H-Title-1.jpg[/IMG] [/URL]

Mir nach, ich folge euch !

(in reply to Panzer Leo)
Post #: 93
- 9/5/2002 3:23:05 AM   
JediMessiah

Sounds great leo...but ill push it a bit farther

i would love to learn the "actual" translations to some of these units

im already falling for your mod hard, and have worked my way around the german to find what is what, but i guess i would like to know exactly what "nebelwerfer" means

some are easy flammpanzer (assuming i am correct of course) means flame tank...but maybe panzer doesnt exactly translate to tank....

also...for my curiosity...what did the germans call tigers and panthers?

thanks in advance,

amateur historian in training- jedimessiah

-E. Andrew Kovich

(in reply to Panzer Leo)
Post #: 94
- 9/5/2002 6:27:15 AM   
Panzer Leo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JediMessiah
[B]Sounds great leo...but ill push it a bit farther

i would love to learn the "actual" translations to some of these units

im already falling for your mod hard, and have worked my way around the german to find what is what, but i guess i would like to know exactly what "nebelwerfer" means

some are easy flammpanzer (assuming i am correct of course) means flame tank...but maybe panzer doesnt exactly translate to tank....

also...for my curiosity...what did the germans call tigers and panthers?

thanks in advance,

amateur historian in training- jedimessiah [/B][/QUOTE]

o.k., German lesson 1:

Panzer does directly translate to tank - it can also mean "armor" like a plate of a knights armor, e.g. (a turtle sits in a "Panzer" )

The absolute correct designation for German tanks would be it's Sdkfz number (Sonderkraftfahrzeug Nummer - "Special purpose vehicle number"), but some vehicles got a nickname (sometimes officially, sometimes just by the men who used it and a few by the enemy).

A tiger is a "Tiger", a panther a "Panther" a king tiger a "Königstiger", a bumblebee "Hummel" a.s.o.
Tanks were Kitties, insects were selfpropelled guns

...ohh...one important word: "Scharfschütze" means "sharp shooter" - sniper

:D

[URL=http://www.theblitz.org/member_sites/panzer_leo_spw@w/spwaw_h2h_modrework.php] [IMG]http://www.theblitz.org/member_sites/panzer_leo_spw@w/PzLeos-H2H-Title-1.jpg[/IMG] [/URL]

(in reply to Panzer Leo)
Post #: 95
- 9/5/2002 9:11:11 AM   
JediMessiah

cool, thx :)

-E. Andrew Kovich

(in reply to Panzer Leo)
Post #: 96
- 9/12/2002 2:01:42 AM   
Kevin E. Duguay

Hi Leo!

Is the last version of your version of SPWaW ready yet? Tried site listed above but could not get it. Just wondering.:confused:

KED

(in reply to Panzer Leo)
Post #: 97
- 9/12/2002 4:03:59 AM   
Panzer Leo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kevin E. Duguay
[B]Hi Leo!

Is the last version of your version of SPWaW ready yet? Tried site listed above but could not get it. Just wondering.:confused: [/B][/QUOTE]

Did you hit the banner below ? The site location changed a bit at the Blitz, but the banner is always up-to-date. If you didn't download it from the Blitz before, it's the place to go...

And yep, this is the last version...the general arty ROF concept remained in this version (like the test version you had with higher rates), but I worked in some of your arty stats for arty pieces with ROFs way off...

BIG thanks again for your help :)

(in reply to Panzer Leo)
Post #: 98
- 9/13/2002 2:49:52 AM   
Kevin E. Duguay

Thanks Leo I have it now! Just was looking in the wrong place DUH!:eek:

KED

(in reply to Panzer Leo)
Post #: 99
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI