Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Simpleton Tips #4 and Up

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Simpleton Tips #4 and Up Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Simpleton Tips #4 and Up - 4/21/2002 9:49:42 PM   
Goblin

Tip #4: If your weapon goes 'click click' instead of 'bang bang', you are out of ammunition. You have two options. Receive additional ammunition from a suitable ammunition supply source, or hide and pray.

Post #: 1
Smoke - 4/22/2002 12:37:52 AM   
Capt. Pixel

Smoke is not useful, if you don't have any.

and you shouldn't smoke anyway - it's harmful to your health (so says the State of California) :: puff puff :: :rolleyes:

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 2
Re: Simpleton Tips #4 and Up - 4/22/2002 12:59:22 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Goblin
[B]Tip #4: If your weapon goes 'click click' instead of 'bang bang', you are out of ammunition. You have two options. Receive additional ammunition from a suitable ammunition supply source, or hide and pray. [/B][/QUOTE]

However, units without ammunition, or those armed only with knives and rocks, may still successfully assault armored vehicles. Presumably this involves climbing on top of the said vehicle and stuffing your boxers down the barrel. Crude, but it seems to work well, or how else can we explain things like snipers assaulting Tigers?

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 3
Re: Re: Simpleton Tips #4 and Up - 4/22/2002 3:26:26 AM   
Goblin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie
[B] how else can we explain things like snipers assaulting Tigers? [/B][/QUOTE]

I thought that the really low chance given to snipers indicated they were knocking on hatches of any tank that got close, waiting for the one tank commander that would open it to see who was there.....

Goblin

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 4
Re: Re: Re: Simpleton Tips #4 and Up - 4/22/2002 6:05:11 AM   
Bernie

[B]

I thought that the really low chance given to snipers indicated they were knocking on hatches of any tank that got close, waiting for the one tank commander that would open it to see who was there.....

Goblin [/B][/QUOTE]

Think about it... You're a sniper. You're sitting there in your bush, minding your own business, just waiting for a target to come along. Maybe a nice shot at the officers in the enemy HQ, maybe a platoon leader or two, nothing that's really out of the ordinary. Suddenly, a Tiger crashes through the brush and stops so close you have to pull your bootlace out from under the tracks! Now, after your pulse rate drops back from the high triple digit numbers you realize that you [I]really, REALLY[/I] don't want to be wearing that particular pair of underwear for much longer. What to do with them? Hmmm... Up on the tank, stuff 'em down the main tube and sit back and wait for them to either fire or open the breech to load the gun. Either way you have one dead Tiger. :)

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 5
- 4/22/2002 7:34:00 AM   
Goblin

Point taken! Excellent descriptive material.:eek:

Goblin

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 6
- 4/22/2002 7:52:18 AM   
Bernie

[B]Point taken! Excellent descriptive material.:eek:

Goblin [/B][/QUOTE]

Did I ever mention I aced my creative writing classes in college?

Got straight A's when my professors could stop laughing long enough to grade the papers. :)

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 7
- 4/22/2002 7:58:41 AM   
Goblin

[B]

Did I ever mention I aced my creative writing classes in college?

Got straight A's when my professors could stop laughing long enough to grade the papers. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, filthy underwear talk will get you ahead every time.;) :D

Goblin

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 8
- 4/22/2002 10:25:16 PM   
Goblin

Simpleton Tip #5...

Minefields when you're on offense; bad. On defense; good.

Goblin

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 9
Simpleton Tip #6 - 4/23/2002 1:17:24 AM   
Bernie

If you "popped smoke" to stop someone from shooting at you, [I]and they're still doing it[/I], try getting [I]BEHIND the smoke![/I] In real life smoke is not bulletproof, but in SPWAW it is! They can't even "Z" fire at you! However, even bulletproof smoke has its limitations...it is not artilleryproof!

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 10
- 4/23/2002 1:47:03 AM   
Goblin

Hey everybody,

Bernie checked with me before he posted his tip. I put this thread up as a way for us to all have fun w/o arguing over PEN or armor or range, etc. Everyone should please feel free to slap up some Simpleton Tips!:)

Goblin

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 11
Simpleton Tip #7 - 4/23/2002 11:19:22 AM   
philbo

When in doubt NEVER move that last hex. It will be your last.:D

Philbo

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 12
Re: Re: Simpleton Tips #4 and Up - 4/24/2002 1:41:27 AM   
Larry Holt

[B]

However, units without ammunition, or those armed only with knives and rocks, may still successfully assault armored vehicles. Presumably this involves climbing on top of the said vehicle and stuffing your boxers down the barrel. Crude, but it seems to work well, or how else can we explain things like snipers assaulting Tigers? [/B][/QUOTE]
There is the case in Ethopia where they climbed onto Italian tanks and knocked on the hatches. The crews very nicely opened up to see what was up and had their heads chopped off. How un-nice of the Ethopians to treat visitors in this manner. :eek:

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 13
Simpleton Tip #8 - 4/25/2002 7:00:26 AM   
Goblin

If it is raining, do not leave the hatch on your tank open. This is a good way to drown.

Goblin

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 14
Re: Simpleton Tip #8 - 4/25/2002 8:25:59 AM   
Bernie

[B]If it is raining, do not leave the hatch on your tank open. This is a good way to drown.

Goblin [/B][/QUOTE]

Note: If you [I]should[/I] forget this tip, and find yourself in immenent danger of drowning, proceed to the nearest hill overlooking enemy territory and helpful enemy troops will be happy to assist you in draining the water out by punching holes in your belly armor.

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 15
Simpleton tip - 4/25/2002 10:49:05 PM   
mogami

Hi, When you are deploying prior to fighting a defensive action study the map and look for all those really good hexes. Then when placing your units be sure to NOT place any on those really good hexes. Versus the AI go ahead it does not really matter how you deploy then. But against a human remember the first thing he is going to do on his deployment is check out your side of the map. Then prior to ending his deployment he is going to plot arty fire on all the good defensive hexes. Don't look for elevations with clear long fields of fire for your AT guns. If the pre-plot arty does not suppress the guns as soon as they fire the enemy will begin to scout them out and kill them with cheap mobile MG type weapons (and really plot them for arty fire)
You want to get at least one kill with your AT gun so place it in the second line of your defense. The first line should be composed of cheap units like scouts inf AT teams and MG's placed 2-3 hexes behind a screen of mines (you should always spend 5-10% of your total points on mines when conducting defense. 1-3% on meeting engagements deployed around A0 and rear Victory hexes to discourage infiltrators)
The mission of your first line of defense is to separate the enemy infantry from his AFV's, determine his avenues of approach and his force composition (any actual damage they inflict is a bonus) Place your AT guns along routes the enemy will have to travel to reach his objectives but where line of sight is 5 or less hexes. Remember not to op fire at targets cheaper then the cost of the AT gun but let a covering MG or infantry squad keep these cheap targets from discovering the AT gun. (every AT gun needs a covering force assigned to protect it).
Once the AT gun has a worth while target do not fire it during your turn but only use op fire. Then only fire 1 or 2 times during the enemy turn to avoid giving away it's position.
Op fire is the best way to kill the enemy. Place your units where the enemy cannot see them unless they are 1 hex away.
The Op fire you get as soon as he moves next to you will often destroy or drive him away and then he cannot use another unit to fire at you without first giving you another Op fire.
Depressions and right behind elevations (rather then sitting on top hoping to get a good line of sight/fire) 1 hex back inside trees, rough terrain and rocks are all good places to hide, just make sure it does not stand out (or the arty problem arises)
In short the best defense does not utilize the best looking defensive terrain. Your enemy expects you to be there so avoid placing your units there. You can deploy behind Victory objectives with the bulk of your force planning to recapture any lost ones after the enemy has expended his air and arty assets on empty hexes and after his assault has became confused disorganized fighting through your cheap 1st line and mines. Place these reserve units far enough back to avoid detection but close enough that they can regain the VH's within 5 turns. Then plan your counter attack to begin 6 turns from end of battle. Save some arty/mortar/air ammo to support your counter attack.

So in one sentence this simpleton tip is

Don't set up where the enemy will look for you to be set up.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 16
- 4/25/2002 11:51:35 PM   
Larry Holt

That is a good tip. It is also standard US doctrine to consider not employing the best terrain for just the same reasons.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 17
Late Reserve Artillery - 4/26/2002 3:40:25 AM   
Capt. Pixel

I particularly liked the suggestion of holding a large reserve force in the rear. Then advancing at the 'end game' into an enemy force already disrupted and in disarray from engaging a screening force.

That might require more patience than I can muster. I'd be more likely to use the Reinforcement option to get those units.

It also seems prudent to hold some artillery in reserve. One method for conserving OB artillery, is to shut off a tube or two and save their ammo for this 'end game' tactic.

IMHO, large caliber OBA firing ALL tubes is 'overkill'. After the first tube, the target takes cover, and the artillery rapidly loses it's effectiveness.

So, the 3rd and 4th tubes in a volley are just pounding ground for the most part. Firing all tubes would have advantages in increasing overall suppression in the area, though. :cool:

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 18
Simpleton Tip #9 - 4/26/2002 5:27:10 AM   
Goblin

Four out of five generals recommend minefields and entrenchments on defense. The fifth general was overrun with his entire command.

Goblin

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 19
Re: Simpleton Tip #9 - 4/26/2002 6:27:01 AM   
Bernie

[B]Four out of five generals recommend minefields and entrenchments on defense. The fifth general was overrun with his entire command.

Goblin [/B][/QUOTE]

Uh... I think that should read, "The fifth general was overrun [B][I]BY[/I][/B] his entire command" ...when the flamethrowers showed up.

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 20
Re: Re: Re: Simpleton Tips #4 and Up - 4/26/2002 7:04:22 PM   
panda124c

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Larry Holt
[B]
There is the case in Ethopia where they climbed onto Italian tanks and knocked on the hatches. The crews very nicely opened up to see what was up and had their heads chopped off. How un-nice of the Ethopians to treat visitors in this manner. :eek: [/B][/QUOTE]
At least the Italians had locks on their tank hatches, unlike the Russian during the Sino-Japanese War. :D

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 21
Re: Re: Re: Re: Simpleton Tips #4 and Up - 4/26/2002 7:10:43 PM   
panda124c

Scouts, scouts, scouts, it is a far far better thing to know where thy enemy is than for him to know where the are.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 22
Simpleton Tip #10 - 4/27/2002 3:45:07 AM   
Goblin

The SS are not nice people.

Goblin

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 23
newbie questions - 4/28/2002 12:33:35 PM   
rickh

Hi I was wondering;
1) if you are adjacent to a bunker or entrenchment is it better to smoke them or yourself if you are planning an assault? Is it better to hide them or yourself?Same Q for tanks? if they are buttoned does smoke make much difference?
2) what is the best way to scout out los for various hexes? I'm using the bombardment key, but I have to have an intact unit there...can't I put the cursor there and hit a hotkey?:confused: TIA

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 24
Re: newbie questions - 4/28/2002 1:05:07 PM   
Goblin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rickh
[B]Hi I was wondering;
1) if you are adjacent to a bunker or entrenchment is it better to smoke them or yourself if you are planning an assault? Is it better to hide them or yourself?Same Q for tanks? if they are buttoned does smoke make much difference?
2) what is the best way to scout out los for various hexes? I'm using the bombardment key, but I have to have an intact unit there...can't I put the cursor there and hit a hotkey?:confused: TIA [/B][/QUOTE]

This is the Simpleton answer section. Such as Smoke Good. Or LOS works both ways. That kind of stuff. Pop the smoke in front of the bunker if you can. If your unit gets in trouble, pop smoke in front of you. Smoke only helps if you get it between you and the bad guys, one way or another. To see LOS hexes, you can select a unit, and right click in any direction. There is no way to tell LOS from one hex to another unless you have a unit there. I think the 'V' key shows all visible hexes for the current unit.

Goblin- A Goblin keeps it simple:)

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 25
Simpleton Tip #11 - 4/28/2002 1:07:13 PM   
Goblin

LOS works both ways.

Goblin- A Goblin is eagle-eyed

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 26
Grr... - 4/28/2002 8:47:59 PM   
Sardaukar

Most annoying things can happen when you accidentally hit "d" key instead of "f":eek:

Those **** smoke dischargers work also both ways :)

Cheers,

M.S.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 27
Simpleton Tip #12 - 4/28/2002 10:56:10 PM   
Goblin

If you want to destroy your enemy, do not place smoke between you and he before you fire.

Goblin- A Goblin is without thermal imaging

Hey?!? I'm stuck! I stepped in glue or something! I don't even know what I did.:confused: Sorry about the sticky, guys and gals, but I'm not sure whats up.

Goblin- A Goblin is epoxied

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 28
Re: Simpleton Tip #12 - 4/29/2002 4:37:56 AM   
Bernie

[B]If you want to destroy your enemy, do not place smoke between you and he before you fire.

Goblin- A Goblin is without thermal imaging

Hey?!? I'm stuck! I stepped in glue or something! I don't even know what I did.:confused: Sorry about the sticky, guys and gals, but I'm not sure whats up.

Goblin- A Goblin is epoxied [/B][/QUOTE]

A Goblin is sticky....[I]Eeeeeewwwwww![/I]

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 29
Simpleton Tip #13 - 4/29/2002 4:42:50 AM   
Bernie

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

Check the map and the visibility before selecting your forces. If you'll be doing most of your engaging at long ranges select less infantry and more TD's, AFV's, etc. If you're going to be fighting in close quarters (jungle, rough with low vis) AFV's aren't very useful, but engineers and commandos are.

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Simpleton Tips #4 and Up Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI