Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 8/3/2002 3:00:57 PM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brent
[B]When do you guys find the time to actually PLAY?:) [/B][/QUOTE]

Play? You mean this is a game?

Sheesh!

Actually, having been without an ISP for the last two months, and without a job, I just finished playing every scenario I had on my hard drive... From each side... Twice... I'm starting to dream in cammo...

BTW... Heeeee's baaaaaaaack!

Bach? No, Beetoven...no, I think Wagner...

"Kill da wabbbit...kill da wabbbit....aAaAaAaAaA!"

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 91
Re: Simpleton Tip #29 - 8/3/2002 3:07:06 PM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Goblin
[B]Burning trees are bad for your soldiers morale if they are in them! Move them out of burning hexes to improve thier mood.

Goblin- A Goblin loves Arbor Day [/B][/QUOTE]

Optionally, if they are pinned and unable to move you may elect to have the Red Cross deliver hotdogs and marshmallows.

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 92
- 8/6/2002 3:30:46 AM   
G_X

How to tell if they're shooting at you,

If the bullet whizzes past, then they probably missed, and are taking better aim their second shot.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 93
- 9/7/2002 10:20:24 PM   
Jacc

If someone shoots at you, take cover. If you are in a tank, try to turn your [U]front hull towards the enemy[/U] . If you are an infantryman and a tank shoots at you, stay prone.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 94
- 9/7/2002 11:38:06 PM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jacc
[B]...If someone shoots at you, take cover. If you are an infantryman and a tank shoots at you, stay prone. [/B][/QUOTE]

(The graves registration people [I]hate[/I] having to pull bodies out of trees...)

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 95
- 9/7/2002 11:41:09 PM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by G_X
[B]How to tell if they're shooting at you,

If the bullet whizzes past, then they probably missed, and are taking better aim their second shot. [/B][/QUOTE]

If the second shot also misses, as do all the ones after that, you are obviously a pilot being fired at by an AA unit. Ignore them and continue to bomb that nice group of friendly vehicles below you that [I]isn't[/I] firing at you because you have the same national symbol painted on your plane.

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 96
- 9/9/2002 3:08:51 AM   
Jacc

If you are in a tank, try to turn your rear end towards any enemy tank, AT gun or other AT capable unit you see. If it is a Panzerfaust and it fires at you, do not return fire.

When flying (in an airplane) over large number of enemy vehicles and infantry, ignore them. Instead, select a truck several kilometers behind the lines and bomb it. Extra bonus: do not hit.

Pain is for the weak.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 97
Did you know... - 9/11/2002 5:46:28 AM   
ivantheterrible

Did you know that truck drivers carry some smoke grenades in their glove compartment?

If your truck somehow ends its turn in the LOS of a mean-*** enemy tank, bail the crew. Chances are the crew will have a couple of smoke grenades to use even though the truck unit does not have one to begin with (I don't know if this is a bug or game design).

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 98
Duck!! - 9/11/2002 3:19:22 PM   
Capt. Pixel

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck ... shoot it! :cool:

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 99
Rant - 9/24/2002 11:16:08 AM   
mogami

Greetings, I have not went off on a rant for a while and I feel like doing so now. SPWAW is one of the all time great 2 player war games. This rant is directed towards the notion that the 2 players will agree on number of points and then also try to decide what their opponent can spend them on.
Mines are verbodden in meeting engagements????? Where are mines usally placed??? (I think troops place them in front of their front.....so if you are moving in front of your front and towards the front of the enemy I would suggest you look for mines.
Having only played the actual game a limited amount of time (1000+ hours) I think I recall both players having a defined front. And there even exists a small , well we'll call it "no mans land"
Where neither player can deploy units or mines.
Hint: This tip is "ALWAYS LOOK FOR AND BE PREPARED TO ENCOUNTER MINES" (and snipers, anti tank guns, flame throwers, machineguns, nuts with bottles full o gas, )
Now I agree both paries should show restraint in certain matters.
(10k meeting engagement where one side spends 9 k on off board arty and 1 k on mines would be rather amusing but hardly justified. But if you find you do not enjoy playing a particular opponent because of his eccentric buying patterns drop him and find another. (one you enjoy reading the notes atteached to the PBEM turn or talking to over RW.
hint#2 is. Playing with someone you enjoy playing with is better then playing with some one who makes you ready to travel a vast distance just to choke.
Have fun

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 100
Simpleton tip 30 - 3/20/2003 4:49:27 AM   
Klinkenhoffen

Deploy plenty of Anti Aircraft units around your troops to convince your aircraft that they shouldn't really be straffing you.

It's all gone horribly wrong !

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 101
Re: Simpleton tip 30 - 3/22/2003 12:50:24 AM   
Capt. Pixel

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Klinkenhoffen
[B]Deploy plenty of Anti Aircraft units around your troops to convince your aircraft that they shouldn't really be straffing you. [/B][/QUOTE]

That brings up a good point. Why is it that your AA won't fire at your own aircraft, but your aircraft will pound the bejeezus out of your units given half a chance? :confused:

- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 102
- 3/22/2003 5:10:17 AM   
Bernie

There are units that swim and units that don't.

However, units dropped off exploding bridges will not swim no matter what type they are.

Do not park on bridges.

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 103
Re: Re: Simpleton tip 30 - 3/22/2003 5:30:19 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Capt. Pixel
[B]That brings up a good point. Why is it that your AA won't fire at your own aircraft, but your aircraft will pound the bejeezus out of your units given half a chance? :confused: [/B][/QUOTE]

Maybe this link might explain it...

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=3828

Scares the heck out of me! :eek:

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 104
Re: Re: Re: Simpleton tip 30 - 3/22/2003 9:27:32 AM   
Capt. Pixel

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie
[B]Maybe this link might explain it...

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=3828

Scares the heck out of me! :eek: [/B][/QUOTE]

Ahhhhh....................... huh? :confused:

- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 105
Re: Re: Re: Re: Simpleton tip 30 - 3/22/2003 9:56:55 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Capt. Pixel
[B]Ahhhhh....................... huh? :confused: [/B][/QUOTE]

Says a lot about the quality of troops in AA units, no?

"Who has the gunners seat today? Goofy or Mickey?"

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 106
- 3/24/2003 2:33:31 AM   
Belisarius

One would think that they'd at least had some kind of eye exam before signing the dotted line, ne? :p

Also, if your tank breaks down due to rough terrain, careless driving, infantry stuck in tracks etc, make sure that you face a direction away from the enemy in order to make yourself as useless as possible.

This is even more important if you're an assault gun. :)

Got StuG?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 107
Murphy's Laws of Op-Fires - 3/24/2003 3:47:53 AM   
Bernie

[B][SIZE=3]Murphy's Laws of Op-Fires[/SIZE][/B]

In any op-fire situation the following rules apply:

1) The unit with the least likely chance of hitting the target will always be selected unless:

a) A closer unit has less chance of actually damaging the target
(ex: Firing at a Tiger an M4 25 hexes away may have a 2% hit chance, but a single crewmember 4 hexes away has the least chance of hurting the Tiger)

b) Another unit has a better chance of damaging your own nearby units.
(ex: A crewmember 4 hexes away can fire at the Tiger, but the Tiger is surrounded by, or in the same hex as, many of your own infantry units. In this case the nearest gun that causes the most splash damage will be selected)

2) Enemy units that are op-fire on and then retreat will always do so in the most damaging direction.
(ex: If a unit has a choice of retreating to 5 empty hexes, or the single hex that contains some of your own forces which have already fired, or are suppressed and unable to move or fire, that is the hex the enemy will move to.)

a) Subsequent op-fires on retreating units will be designed so as to inflict maximum casualties upon your own forces.

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 108
- 3/24/2003 4:38:02 AM   
Belisarius

Good one Bernie! :)

Here's an addition to Murphy's law of op-fires;

*) The chance that an enemy unit will score a fatal op-fire is inversely proportional to the number of guns you can bring to bear on said units.

i.e. the less units you have, the more likely it is the enemy will kill whatever you have. :p

Got StuG?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 109
- 4/15/2003 6:41:15 AM   
TenaciousD

This is absolutely NOT Red Alert or Command & Conquer

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 110
??? - 4/17/2003 10:43:52 AM   
Buzzard45

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TenaciousD
[B]This is absolutely NOT Red Alert or Command & Conquer [/B][/QUOTE]

Okay? I'll bite. What IS it?

" Look alive!! Here comes a Buzzard"
POGO

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 111
- 4/18/2003 10:05:56 AM   
TenaciousD

Its not shallow, simple, dependant on mouse dexterity instead of strategy, as big a seller as those (mass market, bite my ***),
a bowl of carrots, really just a 'game'......

Thanks PacMan (bitey bitey bitey)

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 112
Simpleton tip 31 - 5/17/2003 6:00:45 AM   
J_C_Caesar

[B]Simpleton tip 31[/B]

When assualting enemy units with 2k artillery support, 2k mines on a narrow front, 3k tiger tanks on well sited hills, 6k dug in infantry with pill boxs, staring up at 1k worth of air support and all you have is a handfull of rusty M4's and a short company of French riflemen

Remember the only support units you need is a Bible and a roll of toliet paper, cause your gonna need a pray in hell, and something to clean up the enviromental damage your about to inflict on the landscape.

War is hell when your losing and glorious when your winning. If you not sure whether your winning or losing, get drunk!!

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 113
retreat - 6/25/2003 11:12:41 AM   
mogami

2) Enemy units that are op-fire on and then retreat will always do so in the most damaging direction.
(ex: If a unit has a choice of retreating to 5 empty hexes, or the single hex that contains some of your own forces which have already fired, or are suppressed and unable to move or fire, that is the hex the enemy will move to.)

Hi, Have they changed the rules? In mine a unit that has no retreat hex that does not move them out of contact surrenders.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 114
- 7/7/2003 9:45:18 PM   
AbsntMndedProf

Placing onboard atty without having some method of transport nearby is just giving your opponent victory points.

Eric Maietta

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 115
- 7/7/2003 9:47:26 PM   
AbsntMndedProf

Italian units do very well up until when they enter combat.:D:D

Eric Maietta

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 116
- 7/8/2003 4:39:48 AM   
Bernie

When playing Italians vs French it doesn't matter where you put your start lines. Neither side will cross them anyway. ;)

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 117
How to avoid 99.99% of all mines in a Wild Bill scenario - 7/8/2003 4:47:02 AM   
Bernie

During the deployment phase make sure to deploy all of your units directly adjacent to the "exit" hex.

At the start of turn one, immediately move all of your units to the exit hex and off the board. Note, there's still a chance that the exit hex itself may be mined, so this method is not 100%.

Or

At the start of turn one, BEFORE MOVING ANY UNIT, press the F9 key. Note, there is still the posibility the F9 key might be mined, and cause you a severe hangnail when it detonates.

:)

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 118
- 7/8/2003 5:20:59 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

If you play the Italians going up against U.S. or Soviet armor, make sure that all your Italian AFV crews are wearing fresh adult diapers. (Against the British, it's a crap shoot. No pun intended.):D:D

Eric Maietta

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 119
[I]Tips your PBEM opponent would want you to have:[/I] - 7/13/2003 7:38:11 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

1. Always bunch your foot units in as few hexes as possible, so they can provide moral support for each other when the going gets tough.

2. When your AFVs spot an enemy AFV, AT gun, or infantry AT unit, have them swivel their vehicle's rear towards the enemy. This will show them the derision they deserve!

3. When assaulting a well prepared and defended position, don't bother with smoke. This will only make it harder for your troops and AFVs to score kills from long-range. This especially holds true if your enemy has bunkers/fortifications facing you.

4. If your opponent starts dropping atty rounds in an area occupied by your troops, stand your ground! In this way, your units will build the self-confidence and courage to go through shot and shell to victory!

5. If your troops have satchel charges, gasoline bombs, TNT, or any other large explosive devices, use them up as quickly as possible. Nothing makes a person feel anxious like having a big bomb in their backpack.

6. Anti-aircraft defenses are for sissies! Buy lots of ACs instead.

7. Your HQ should stay waaaaay out front, so that it can keep up on what is happening in the battle. Don't be afraid of having your HQ attack big, heavy AFVs. That's what their good at!

8. If in doubt, charge forward! It may just stun your opponent's units into retreating!

:D:D

Eric Maietta

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI