Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How to get a refund?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> World War One Gold >> RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How to get a refund? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/20/2008 12:40:58 PM   
ulver

quote:

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

I loved GoA and am hungry for more WW1. So I will be a dead cert to buy this - when it works.

Pretty much my reaction. Looks like it is going to be a great game – eventually. I can wait while the evil genius beat me up in GOA

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 31
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/20/2008 2:03:06 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi ETF,

quote:

ORIGINAL: ETF
I have been trying for two days to get a refund from your telephone chaps but they stated no problem and would call me back. Today they refused the refund.

The telephone chaps unfortunately aren't us, they are Digital River who we partner with on our store and it's always a challenge to get the right message to all their support people in a timely manner. I got your e-mail and replied.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 32
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/20/2008 8:55:54 PM   
PDiFolco

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

I'm not completly sure but IIRC we have got some problems with multithreads under VISTA in WW2:RtV after first release. If the WW1 devs would like to, I can try to get some details.

In the case of WW1 problems were with some CPUs, not especially Vista (I had an awfully slow game under XP, speed was x100 after the patch !)

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 33
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/20/2008 9:45:33 PM   
fvianello

The game has a lot of potential, but unfortunately it's staying at potential level even after the patch; I'll list some of the problems I've got and heard until now (1.04), maybe someone could help me to stay motivated :-\

1. Some scenario reports the wrong winner (serbia scenario, the reported winner is Ottoman Empire over Great Britain)

2. Tried to understand the map in weather and climate mode; still cannot see any link between the color shown and the area weather / climate (caporetto scenario)

3. Into movie displaying in 4x4 pixels

4. 1gb or more memory requirements for a 2d turn based strategic game ???? This is definitely a new low in memory management capabilities.

5. drag and drop problems everywhere

6. wego mode, 1st combat of caporetto scenario. Tried everything (pause / unpause the AI, drink a coffee and wait, drag units in deployment or whatever, pressed engage, activated the battle assistant, deactivated it, tried to exit the game). Nothing. Task Manager and terminate the application was the only way to get out.

7. Jutland scenario, tried to move both fleets in the same area. first fleet took the direct route to north sea, while the second one decided it has to pass thru holland and france sea minefields to get there. Didn't find a way to avoid it.

There was more, but that's what I remember. I'm a little depressed right now....

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 34
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/20/2008 10:28:52 PM   
06 Maestro

HanBarca

There is not much to argue against in your post. However, for the Jutland battle, you have to go with the predetermined path for the HSF, otherwise, no battle. After the battle starts, you can maneuver freely.

Using the 104a patch, I was able to come within an inch of November '14. The game ran much smoother, and faster. The siege bug is apparently still ongoing-and it killed my last effort. It was so nice to have it running.

As for the map colors, who knows what they were thinking. Some of the modes just don't offer any help that I can see.

They have made some impressive progress (no where to go but up). I am more optimist at this point since about the 12th of November. Don't give up the faith.

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 35
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/20/2008 10:35:15 PM   
fvianello

Hope is hard to kill....I'll give it another try with 1.04a beta.

H. Barca,

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 36
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/20/2008 11:40:07 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: HanBarca

Hope is hard to kill....I'll give it another try with 1.04a beta.

104a was a very good improvement for me. I just made it part way through Nov/Dec-then the seige thing again. I resumed from October.

There is a country and western tune called, If we make it through Dcember (we'll be fine). If they keep making progress like this, I think we will be in fine shape with this game.

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 37
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/21/2008 11:50:07 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

4. 1gb or more memory requirements for a 2d turn based strategic game ???? This is definitely a new low in memory management capabilities.

To be fair, you need to put this in perspective. Windows XP alone needs 512mb to run properly. Vista 1gb to run properly. So recommedinng 1gb as minimum is certainly not a new "low in memory management". Just because a game is 2D does not mean it has to be low on RAM demand.

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 38
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/21/2008 1:17:31 PM   
Erik Rutins

I agree - given the amount of graphics some of these games have to manage, 1GB is not that much. We have several 2D strategy games that really prefer 1GB of memory.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 39
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/21/2008 6:06:30 PM   
fvianello

Sorry to bash you guys, but calvinus (the programming team leader) said on the AGEOD forum:
"the map tile for Eastern Mediterranean Sea is 1981 x 2849 pixels"
You can easily check this by looking in in the Data\Graph\Map\Regions directory.

Now, the map is made by areas, and to draw each single area the game must load in memory a bitmap that is up to 16Mb in size. Why in the hell you should need a 1981x2849, 16mb bitmap to display a completely blue area of the map is beyond my capabilities.

That's where memory goes: blue pixels. Come on.

H. Barca,

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 40
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/22/2008 4:13:03 PM   
PDiFolco

quote:

Sorry to bash you guys, but calvinus (the programming team leader) said on the AGEOD forum:
"the map tile for Eastern Mediterranean Sea is 1981 x 2849 pixels"
You can easily check this by looking in in the Data\Graph\Map\Regions directory.

Now, the map is made by areas, and to draw each single area the game must load in memory a bitmap that is up to 16Mb in size. Why in the hell you should need a 1981x2849, 16mb bitmap to display a completely blue area of the map is beyond my capabilities.

That's where memory goes: blue pixels. Come on.

It's a bitmap, that's all. You could paint anything you wish into it, the game engine doesn't have specific cases for painting an area without bitmap.
Maybe they could have put a blue background and no bmp for seas, but then the map edges will be blue also ...

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 41
RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How ... - 11/22/2008 4:40:23 PM   
fvianello

War in the pacific handles the whole pacific map by using 40 bitmaps for a total of 206Mb; World War One uses 6006 bitmaps for a total of 1,07Gb.

That would be ok and nobody would have noticed it if the game had no memory and speed issues, but at its current status I think that's a problem.

As far as I know, the standard methods to handle a large map are:
- loading big rectangular chunks in memory to compose the current view used by the player.
- Highlighted regions are created by binary XOR bitmap masks
- Bitmap size should be compatible with any standard graphic card.

Judging by the graphics used by the game, none of the above has been implemented; Whatever method was used, it obviously creates a problematic memory / CPU load.

Anyway, if you think there's no problem with the graphics, I'll pass your opinion to my CPU

H. Barca,

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 42
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> World War One Gold >> RE: Patch is not fixing the game! Game unplayable! How to get a refund? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI