Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Frustrated

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Frustrated Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Frustrated - 11/20/2008 11:23:15 AM   
Twotribes

I love this game. But it is unplayable past about 20 turns in the method I prefer to play, large as can be , even with just one opponent the game play bogs down into 10 plus minutes waiting for the computer to do its turn. It takes so long my screen saver activates twice.

The newer patch has cut down the actual number of turns/impulses the AI does each turn, but they each take longer, I assume you gave it the ability to do more inside each of the phases.
Post #: 1
RE: Frustrated - 11/21/2008 12:00:24 AM   
Twotribes

Last turn took 38 minutes for the AI to finish.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 2
RE: Frustrated - 11/21/2008 12:18:07 AM   
BoredStiff

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Last turn took 38 minutes for the AI to finish.

Holy smoke, is that some kind of computer game record?
I have this game, but haven't seriously tackled playing it yet.
When it takes that long, is the AI at least kicking your buttogh?

< Message edited by BoredStiff -- 11/21/2008 12:23:06 AM >

BoredStiff

[Link and Avatar removed by Moderator]

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 3
RE: Frustrated - 11/21/2008 4:47:02 AM   
Twotribes

No. The computer is way behind in cities. He does love to build units though, I have something like 140 units of all kinds and he has well over 500 based on the division numbers I can see. He is ahead in certain areas of research as well. He has medium Tank III.

I have noted the computer gets medium tank, Tank destroyer as quickly as it can in any game, I am usually behind in research but way ahead in troop count.

(in reply to BoredStiff)
Post #: 4
RE: Frustrated - 11/21/2008 5:08:03 AM   
Twotribes

Some system info before some wise ass claims I have an OLD system.

AMD Athlon 64x2 dual. Core Processor 4600+. 2.41 GHZ, 2.00 GB Ram. 9400 Nvidea Video card with 512m Memory.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 5
RE: Frustrated - 11/21/2008 5:24:36 AM   
SSFSX17

Sounds like either the map is too big, there are too many cities, or the computer just has to satisfy its compulsion to have a formation every 2 hexes for all of its territory. The amount of processing time used by the computer increases exponentially as its territory increases.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 6
RE: Frustrated - 11/21/2008 5:26:15 AM   
Twotribes

In other words, don't expect to actually play against the computer, thanks for the obvious.

(in reply to SSFSX17)
Post #: 7
RE: Frustrated - 11/21/2008 7:22:27 PM   
typhoon

Got very similar specs and sharing your pain an excellent game that I'm trying hard to get better at but takes too long to play anything a decent size against the A.I. PBEM I guess is the way to go but that does not leave much scope for trying differnt production strategies and force mixes not to mention supply matters. I fear being beaten to death in the PBEM arena without trying a few things out first it's just taking too long. My own fault I suppose for favouring the monster size scenarios

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 8
RE: Frustrated - 11/21/2008 10:14:55 PM   
Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: typhoon

Got very similar specs and sharing your pain an excellent game that I'm trying hard to get better at but takes too long to play anything a decent size against the A.I. PBEM I guess is the way to go but that does not leave much scope for trying differnt production strategies and force mixes not to mention supply matters. I fear being beaten to death in the PBEM arena without trying a few things out first it's just taking too long. My own fault I suppose for favouring the monster size scenarios

If you like to read, buy a couple books and try reading while the computer slowly clanks a long.

(in reply to typhoon)
Post #: 9
RE: Frustrated - 11/21/2008 10:20:53 PM   
typhoon

Yep reading is a good option and browsing the forums with an occasional post or two. Unfortunately though does my bad smoking habit no good at all.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 10
RE: Frustrated - 11/22/2008 8:58:51 AM   
seille

How big is the map and how many cities ?
Did you try to reduce the map size by 50% ?
What happens then ?

Do you play with Peoples Republic on these big maps ?

(in reply to typhoon)
Post #: 11
RE: Frustrated - 11/22/2008 9:54:20 AM   
Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: seille

How big is the map and how many cities ?
Did you try to reduce the map size by 50% ?
What happens then ?

Do you play with Peoples Republic on these big maps ?

100 by 100, max cities, no peoples republic but I did enable AI help, so lots of little villages everywhere. And I allowed revolts. Only one AI opponent.

However if you are now going to claim I should not do those things, then just admit that the game sucks as AI time wise.

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 12
RE: Frustrated - 11/22/2008 10:06:35 AM   
Widell

Unfortunately this most likely goes back to the programming basics and it sounds hard to make any revolutionary improvements without making drastic changes to the code base = Complete re-write?

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 13
RE: Frustrated - 11/22/2008 10:16:25 AM   
Grymme

Twotribes. You do have a point, but why the sore attitude?  Repeatedly complaining that the game sucks isnt very constructive.

The game is slow if you have maximum settings and combine it with minimum of patience. But such is the case in many games. And a lot of games arent even playable for high settings. I cant play supreme commander on any setting but the lowest. Sure, its no fun. But thats just life.

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 14
RE: Frustrated - 11/22/2008 10:50:04 AM   
Twotribes

I can not believe that the AI can not be sped up. It is not all that smart to begin with it. And in the first days I was told I was simply wrong, turns did not take that long. I had people insisting I had old equipment.

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 15
RE: Frustrated - 11/22/2008 12:47:55 PM   
Szilard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

I can not believe that the AI can not be sped up. It is not all that smart to begin with it.

Agreed. I'd be surprised if it took a great deal to speed it up, and I think it does need speeding up.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 16
RE: Frustrated - 11/22/2008 4:17:36 PM   
Vic

And i read everything. And promise nothing. But as you can read elsewhere i will spend some time soon on a new patch.

Also keep in mind AT uses only 1 thread and thus can utilize only 1 core of a multiprocessor machine.

kind regards,
vic

(in reply to Szilard)
Post #: 17
RE: Frustrated - 11/22/2008 6:24:05 PM   
Twotribes

Go back to when the game first released and you will find me pointing out the AI is to slow and you will find several officials insisting I am wrong and must have an old slow computer.

How long has the game been out? Just admit you do not care about the AI speed at all.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 18
RE: Frustrated - 11/22/2008 10:46:49 PM   
Szilard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

And i read everything. And promise nothing. But as you can read elsewhere i will spend some time soon on a new patch.

Also keep in mind AT uses only 1 thread and thus can utilize only 1 core of a multiprocessor machine.

kind regards,
vic

Thanks, Vic.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 19
RE: Frustrated - 11/22/2008 11:02:08 PM   
Zaratoughda

Hmmmm.... why don't you just say that the game is unplayable at 100x100 with max cities.... against the computer... and that games of this size should only be played PBEM?

I have a 2 GHx machine and run games at 50x50 with 3 opponents, 25 cities and the people's republic and there is a bit of a delay when the computer is doing it's thing.... but this is less than 5 minutes.

More recently I have been playing with an even smaller map size and just 1 opponent, people's republic and 15 cities... with the people's republic jacked up to AI+ or AI++... essentially playing just against pr... this essentially to cut down the AI time to almost nothing... and have been having a lot of fun with this.

So, if you try being a bit creative you should be OK.

Z

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 20
RE: Frustrated - 11/23/2008 11:44:41 AM   
Widell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaratoughda
Hmmmm.... why don't you just say that the game is unplayable at 100x100 with max cities.... against the computer... and that games of this size should only be played PBEM?

Maybe because, technically, it is playable, only extremely slow . Sorry! Stupid remark, but I have a hangover today an just couldn't resist....

(in reply to Zaratoughda)
Post #: 21
RE: Frustrated - 11/25/2008 12:18:37 PM   
Twotribes

Took the advice and ran it full size but with half the cities. So far so good. But doesn't change the fact it should run well at full mode too.

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 22
RE: Frustrated - 11/26/2008 3:57:56 AM   
Jeffrey H.

I read some of the reviews posted in the headers of the forums. They all mentioned the slow AI turns. Funny, I never had a big problem, but I've always played with low city count because I find the process of creating and restocking units can get very tiresome when there is too much production.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 23
RE: Frustrated - 11/27/2008 12:51:34 AM   
miral

I have no computer knowledge but the Editor can be used to easily make the AI produce many fewer, but stronger units. This can be done both by increasing the size of the individual units and changing the amount of the Front that the AI will actually try to cover with units. At least, I assume, fewer units + faster AI move?

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 24
RE: Frustrated - 11/27/2008 12:52:28 AM   
miral

Sorry, that should be fewer units = faster AI move?

(in reply to miral)
Post #: 25
RE: Frustrated - 11/27/2008 5:01:07 AM   
Maddoc06

I think this is a great game and I've been working on a lot of ideas on very big map for some time now. That's how some of us like to play - big maps, lots of units, lots of cities, lots of options. I'm only just starting to come to grips with how incredibly flexible is the event editor actually and just how potentially interesting it makes any modding . I don't know how 'hard-coded' is the problem with slowness but it seems that if this cannot be improved in a patch we 'big mod' people just need to be patient, do other things during the computer turn (it only uses one core thread I think) and expect geological speeds. Its too good a game to miss out on playing.

Does playing in full screen mode actually make a noticeable difference in speed?

(in reply to miral)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Frustrated Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI