Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 4/25/2002 3:33:26 AM   
Grouchy

Woot!

Glad to hear, good time to be a wargamer those days. UV, AA, GI combat :)

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 31
- 4/25/2002 3:46:47 AM   
Philbill1

Congratulations guys. :D
Phil

Post #: 32
- 4/25/2002 6:01:22 AM   
Caltone

Congratulations gentlemen :cool:

I have no doubt you will be giving most of us many a sleepless night in the months to come.

Post #: 33
- 4/25/2002 6:12:55 AM   
auggus

I better get all the sleep i can get now! In a few weeks I will be playing UV and getting very little sleep....maybe i can take a nap at work.............:D

Post #: 34
Good Luck - 4/25/2002 8:02:35 AM   
boomboom

Good luck.Boomboom is collectting unemployment and Uncommonvalor is about to be for sale WHAT A COUNTRY.

I'm boomboom.I don't want to control the sea.I ain't no calvery general[horses stink].I don't want to fight the next world war.I want to go back to dog patch,and fall in love.

Post #: 35
- 4/25/2002 8:06:52 AM   
stretch

Matrix.NewsReleaseType(GoneGold) = Excellent;

Post #: 36
- 4/25/2002 8:47:40 AM   
siRkid

Congrats! I'm glad the word is out.:D You will love this game. I look forward to playing some of you once Crocky and I finish our game (in a few months).;)

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Post #: 37
Can't Wait - 4/25/2002 8:54:43 AM   
Raskal67

Well I have been lurking for quite some time reading AARs and what not , now I am going nuts! Bring it on Matrix and I can't wait till my first PBEM game. Great job!:) :)

Post #: 38
I want to order. - 4/25/2002 10:07:17 AM   
Griffin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Heath
[B]Once we have a pretty solid available date we will start taking orders and let everyone know when we can expect to ship.[/B][/QUOTE]

Please, make sure you let us know once right here and stock enough for all of us! :) Can't wait!

Post #: 39
- 4/25/2002 12:33:39 PM   
degen

This is great news! Glad to see that Matrix is getting more true wargames out. Congrats to all that worked so hard to make this game happpen. I'm sure it will be good.

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

Post #: 40
- 4/25/2002 9:32:12 PM   
TIMJOT

CONGRADULATIONS!!! Fantastic news, All I ask is that you dont underestimate the demand. It would be devasting, when I order to ge a "Sorry, out of stock".

Post #: 41
- 4/26/2002 4:39:50 AM   
maullin

Hi,
I am also glad to hear that uncommon valour is out. I have bought a number of Gary Grigsby games over the years.
But I'm afraid $94 Canadian is just too much for a computer game.
Sorry to say it.

Maullin....:(

Post #: 42
- 4/26/2002 8:58:22 AM   
Sonny

Guess teachers don't get paid any better in Canada than they do here in the States.

Post #: 43
It's worth it - 4/26/2002 11:44:33 AM   
U2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by maullin
[B]Hi,
I am also glad to hear that uncommon valour is out. I have bought a number of Gary Grigsby games over the years.
But I'm afraid $94 Canadian is just too much for a computer game.
Sorry to say it.

Maullin....:( [/B][/QUOTE]

When its a Gary Grigsby game it is worth it. Otherwise I would perhaps hesitate ( unless its a wargame ).

Sayonara

Post #: 44
- 4/26/2002 1:21:17 PM   
Propitious

Fantastic news :)

This is something I've waited for for a looooooong time. Pacwar was and still is a great game but UV is the icing on the cake.

It is even better to act quickly and err than to hesitate until the time of action is past.

Carl von Clausewitz

Post #: 45
RE:UV and educators - 4/26/2002 5:33:40 PM   
USSMaine

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sonny
[B]Guess teachers don't get paid any better in Canada than they do here in the States. [/B][/QUOTE]

And us poor ed techs don't even fare that well.......ah well - thank god for bottle returns so I can still get UV - and with summer vacation coming up........WOOO HOOO !!

Post #: 46
- 4/27/2002 9:08:20 AM   
Ron Saueracker

RIGHT ON!!! :)

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

Post #: 47
- 4/27/2002 9:41:54 PM   
Snigbert

If you are hesitating because of the cost, maybe you will be reassured by knowing that this is one of those games you will (if you're a grognard) most likely still be playing in ten years. In my opinion, this is the definitive South Pacific game. If you are a WWII wargame fan, a Navy fan, or a Gary Grigsby fan, you're going to love it.
I don't like buying games either because a lot of the time I play them for a few days and grow bored. This game has kept my interest for a couple of months so far and I only become more interested the more I play it. I sit at work thinking about different strategies I could try, and different situations in the game. When I lay in bed I think about it before I fall asleep.

Post #: 48
- 4/27/2002 10:56:03 PM   
Paul Goodman

It seems to me that $50.00 US represents a very good deal, considering the (if appearances are not deceiving) hundreds of hours of enjoyment we can anticipate from the game. On an enjoyment/$ ratio, it might even beat martini's.

Looked at from it from another direction, if time equals money, then it ought to be selling for well over a $100 US, as it took twice as long as anyone thought to get it ready.

If some of us have made poor career choices, I imagine the Matrix programmers have had similar thoughts at times.

Paul

Post #: 49
cost prospective - 4/27/2002 11:53:45 PM   
brisd

I remember paying about $70 back in 1984 for Gary Grigsby's War in Russia and like all his games got max value for my money. What does $50 equate to? For me it is won't even pay for a dinner date and movie. This game will provide hundreds of hours of entertainment. I was playing GG's PacWar as recently as 2001, I am sure I must have played it over 100 times, most games over a hundred turns each. It is all about what you value in a game. I think $50 is very reasonable, especially with a built-in editor. $70 or more then I could see a complaint. If you have any doubts, wait a few weeks like me and see if it passes the grognard's reviews.

Post #: 50
Re:cost - 4/28/2002 6:24:17 AM   
USSMaine

I am quite sure I will more than get my moneys worth out of this game - heck I've currently got 2 games of BTR going.....hehehe.

I was just bemoaning my change in careers and the 66% pay cut I took........hehhee.

Post #: 51
- 4/28/2002 7:30:19 AM   
Ron Saueracker

Canadian teachers get big bucks here in Canada.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

Post #: 52
- 4/30/2002 1:32:32 AM   
Nimits

I don't mind paying $50.00, but it would be nice if that price included a manual. Now I will have to spend another $5.00-$10.00 printing and binding the manual (I am not about to just read the online manual). Personally, one of my favorite part of getting a new game is getting to a brand new manual, especially if it is a good manual with lots of background material and/or strategy/tactics tips.

Post #: 53
- 4/30/2002 2:00:23 AM   
Sonny

I too love those manuals you would get with the games. They used to give you some tips and guidance. Now if you want tips and guidance you have to buy the "Official Strategy Guide" for $19.95. The last few games I have bought don't have strategy guides and I like that fact - it means that there is no "sure way" to win.:)

Post #: 54
- 4/30/2002 4:00:52 AM   
Nimits

The manuals I am refering to (Sid Meier's Gettysburg, European Air, 1942 Pacific Air War, Silent Hunter, Falcon 4.0, Great Naval Battles) did not tell you how to win, but they did give some hints for getting started, and the background material and tips that were included added to the atmoshpere of those classic games.

Post #: 55
- 4/30/2002 8:58:16 AM   
Daniel Oskar

A good manual is difinitely a bonus, it demonstrates attention to detail. Even some real OLD classics like Pacific War and Action Stations had outstanding documentation not only on game mechanics, but historical background as well. At least on the plus side, Mr. Grigsby and Matrix don't publish crap, so the software will be worth the coin.

Post #: 56
- 5/1/2002 10:01:57 AM   
Fred98

We now live in the 21st century.

Computers, automation, corporates reducing their costs, are a part of our lives.

My view is that game manuals must be in PDF format on the CD. This saves large sums of money for the game producer which would have been passed on to the players.

It also reduced shipping costs.

The wargaming community is small and splintered. It is necessary to keep the costs down so our hobby can continue.

I am happy to print a hard copy of the manual.

If you want a high quality manual, you have the option to take the PDF file to a printer and have him do a professional job. You can read the manual tomorrow. There is no need to read it today. Slow down. Enjoy life. Instant gratification is bad.

But if a player does NOT want a manual professionally printed, it is silly to force him to pay for it.
-

Post #: 57
- 5/1/2002 1:24:52 PM   
Speedysteve

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joe 98
[B]

My view is that game manuals must be in PDF format on the CD. This saves large sums of money for the game producer which would have been passed on to the players.

It also reduced shipping costs.

The wargaming community is small and splintered. It is necessary to keep the costs down so our hobby can continue.

- [/B][/QUOTE]

Totally agree :)

The wargamming community has grown nowhere near as fast as other communities and markets over the past decade and as such many companies are reluctant to make wargames; cost-benefit thing.

I understand that some people may want hard copy manuals but if it reduces the costs for companies that continue to make games that I thoroughly enjoy then i'm ok with that.

Post #: 58
- 5/1/2002 6:11:12 PM   
Raverdave

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joe 98
[B]I am happy to print a hard copy of the manual.

If you want a high quality manual, you have the option to take the PDF file to a printer and have him do a professional job. You can read the manual tomorrow. There is no need to read it today. Slow down. Enjoy life. Instant gratification is bad.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Joe 98,

Let me know how much it is going to cost, and I will get you to do one for me at the same time.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post #: 59
- 5/1/2002 6:53:54 PM   
Fred98

OK,

When I get the game I'll go to a printer in the city.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI