Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/10/2008 10:06:45 PM   
westerhouse

Hey Wee it's not the browser as I have tried Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari and Internet Explorer.

(in reply to westerhouse)
Post #: 31
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/10/2008 10:13:24 PM   
brak

It's doing the exact same thing to me. I click on "Registered Downloads" to get the list of games, then click on the "Downloads" link next to Hired Guns. Then the page just reloads.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 32
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 12:34:00 AM   
milkweg

I downloaded it fine using Firefox 3.04 too.

Post #: 33
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 2:16:49 AM   
JustSomeGuy

I get the same thing. No love!

Man, just when I convince myself to start over when I am pretty close to winning this happens, must be a sign.

Can we please get some kind of word from Matrix as to why their web page has a broken link? Seriously, if you are going to make us jump through hoops like register the game and all, the least you could do is make sure it is downloadable after we make it through the hoops. I mean come on.

JSG

(in reply to brak)
Post #: 34
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 2:38:56 AM   
JustSomeGuy

I figured the problem out, you guys have a disconnect between your registered lists somehow. I registered my game, even says I did when I try to register it again. But when I hit download I am failing the server side check to see if I registered it, even though it would be register not download if I hadn't registered it.

Honestly, it does not inspire good will when it is the very act of making us jump through hoops, hoops that almost no other company requires for a patch, that causes the patch to a very broken game to be undownloadable. I mean, it doesn't exactly inspire me to go out and buy any other Matrix games when I am given the indication that if they too are broken and I need a patch I am going to have to jump through hoops that only lead to a brick wall. See where I am coming from here? Recommend it get fixed, fast. Also recommend the bean counter who thought up the force people to register for a patch idea be told downturn in economy removed his position.

It is a freaking patch, nobody who didn't buy the game is going to want a patch for it! And for a game this troubled you should be handing patches out like beads at mardi-gras, not forcing people to jump through hoops to get it.

Just saying.

JSG

(in reply to JustSomeGuy)
Post #: 35
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 2:43:26 AM   
milkweg

I'm having the same issue with the beta patch for another game here. Donwloaded HG beta patch fine but the beta patch for the other game never shows.

Post #: 36
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 2:47:01 AM   
ferguson01

No dice here either. Same thing.
Although, I do appreciate that fact that the patch exists. nicely done! fast work!
I do wonder what happened with this game in Russia. I imagine, since this is 1.07 they went through 7 previous patches!
I have to think that 1.07 didn't include the data files, just the .exe changes.
It is inconceivable that these data bugs existed through 7 iterations.
But either way, way to go matrix support folks to clean up someone elses mess.

Post #: 37
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 3:02:28 AM   
khessmd

I am having the same issue with not being able to download the beta patch.  I click on the link and it just simply reloads the page.  It doesn't download anything.  I hope they fix this game soon.  I'm trying to wait until its playable before I put the game down and never pick it up again.  If my first impression is too bad, I'm afraid 20 patches probably wont make me play it. I've been waiting for the next Jagged Alliance for a long time, I hope its worth the wait.  It is frustrating to know there is a patch to fix this game and I cant download it, even though I paid for the game and have the sleeve with the registration number sitting right here in front of me.  

I got further along in the demo then I can get in the actual game. <sigh>

< Message edited by khessmd -- 12/11/2008 3:03:12 AM >

(in reply to ferguson01)
Post #: 38
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 3:03:38 AM   
Trifler

I'm having the same problem as westerhouse. I clicked on Registered Downloads, found Hired Guns, and clicked on Download. All it did was reload the page as if I had clicked on Registered Downloads again.

Oh and this is with Firefox 3.0.4. I just tried it again with Internet Explorer and the same thing happened.

< Message edited by Trifler -- 12/11/2008 3:04:25 AM >

Post #: 39
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 3:07:45 AM   
ShadoWarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: JustSomeGuy

It is a freaking patch, nobody who didn't buy the game is going to want a patch for it!

You couldn't be more wrong. I found out about the game's release by seeing it listed on a BitTorrent site. And that was before the downloadable version from Matrix was available. To expect the publishers to not check to see if you own a legit copy (by checking for serial numbers) when the game itself has no copy-protection is asking a bit much. Especially for a game that only costs $30 to download. People shouldn't get free support for something they didn't buy, and that's all Matrix is doing. It's also a beta patch. You should be thankful the folks at Matrix have released one so quickly. They could just as easily have decided to test the patch in-house and made you wait a couple of weeks.

You're not going to encourage folks to try to help you by making demands, recommending people be fired for doing their jobs, and generally engendering ill will.

Post #: 40
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 3:18:29 AM   
JustSomeGuy

quote:

You're not going to encourage folks to try to help you by ... generally engendering ill will.

Yah, that is pretty much what I said.

How can you say the game has no protection? I had to enter my cd key to install the game, that is protection.

Does the game work without the DvD in the tray? Haven't tried yet, but if it does I will at least feel a little better about this nonsense of making a patch and making it inaccessible (Now apparently unless we buy another game, hope this isn't a marketing ploy). You seriously can't blame me or anyone else for being unhappy right now.

BitTorent is unfortunate, but anyone who uses it is just asking to get their machine hacked, piracy does suck. The game was only 40 bucks, if you can't afford 40 bucks for a game you need to be looking for work instead of playing the game.

JSG

(in reply to ShadoWarrior)
Post #: 41
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 3:52:32 AM   
ShadoWarrior

I did not say the game "has no protection". I said it "has no copy-protection". Perhaps you don't understand the difference? Or you need to take the time to more carefully read what you're responding to.

And the cure to getting hacked is knowing how to use AV software. About the only thing you've said that's fair is your comment regarding what someone should do if they cannot afford to spend $40. And it's $10 less for the downloadable version. The game, despite it's many flaws, is easily worth $30.

To anyone who doesn't see that: I suggest that you do the math regarding $30 divided by the hours of entertainment from playing the game, versus the price of a movie ticket or book divided by the cost of the movie ticket or book. Games are cheap entertainment.

Post #: 42
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 4:02:46 AM   
GODSPEED7

Yes, I am trying to access the download, but unfortunately it's like a 'dead' link, nothing happens, I've tried disabling andti-virus, enabling Pop-Up blocker, etc... nothing seems to work..

Btw, I'd like to thank Erik Rutins for actively posting in this forum about this game and trying to help us out here! It's greatly apprecaated...
and I would also like to thank Matrix Games for bringing this game to north america, and actually seem to actively want to make sure we have proper updates and everything! Keep up the good work guys!

GODSPEEDseven

Post #: 43
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 4:18:44 AM   
GODSPEED7

I have even tried on my laptop which has Internet Explorer 7 and Windows XP, but no, still does the same as on Vista with IE 8...

Would anyone consider sending the files to my e-mail? I would really appreciate it, send it to godspeed.7@hotmail.com with the proper subject line please!

I would like this ASAP! Thank you!

GODSPEEDseven

Post #: 44
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 4:27:47 AM   
JustSomeGuy

I don't know many games that do have "copy-protection" these days, that sort of thing got ugly a few years back and so most developers avoid it now like the plague. Yet I still don't recall having to jump through hoops to get patches for any of the games I have patched in the last year or so.

Look, I realize I am not coming across as a happy camper. But seriously, do you think there could be an irritant that would be making me the slightest bit unhappy with Matrix right now? I am not trying to spread tidings of ill will, I am just being honest and open with my current feelings. Yes I realize in today's world honesty is not a trait people like to see others display, I get it, I really do. But really I am doing matrix a favor, I am letting them know what others are thinking and feeling right now, but just not honest enough to say. Don't take this as a threat or anything, as I am just being honest again. But if this situation is not fixed by tomorrow afternoon my dislike for this game and unfortunately for Matrix as a by product of that will grow. It irks me to know there is a solution to my problem, but because (from my perspective) some bean counter wants to force me to hand over my email so they can send me junk email, I am being blocked from the solution even though I surrendered my inbox. Will tomorrow be enough for me to file the game in the cylindrical file, call the BBB, and swear of Matrix games forever? Probably not. But I certainly won't be telling my coworkers and friends to rush out and get Matrix games for their kids. Can you blame me? What else do I have to go on but the facts in front of me?

Again, Just saying.

JSG

< Message edited by JustSomeGuy -- 12/11/2008 4:34:18 AM >

Post #: 45
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 4:32:27 AM   
JustSomeGuy

IT is not a problem on your end GODSPEED, it is on their end, their server's database has a bug where all the registrations for at least one game you own from MAtrix (which if HG is the only game you own from them would make HG the winner for you) does not match with what the database thinks it should match with. Until they either fix it or drop the silly idea of registering the game before you can patch it there is nothing you or I can do.

And BTW asking for someone to send you a copy of something you have to register to get is a big no-no, you may want to rescind that request.

JSG

(in reply to GODSPEED7)
Post #: 46
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 5:01:55 AM   
Erik Rutins

I've asked our admin to look into this ASAP folks.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 47
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 5:58:57 AM   
brak

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I've asked our admin to look into this ASAP folks.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to the improved camera angles and other stuff. I'm just not up for doing the mods manually. Thanks so much for putting this together.

Post #: 48
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 6:07:23 AM   
GODSPEED7

@JustSomeGuy:

Sorry, I do not want you to think I am being rude... but what is the last game you've played unpatched?? I currently have 24 different games installed on my computer, which are all registered with the proper companies... all of them patched to the latest versions. If you know of ANY game that doesn;t need patching, please let us know!

Or when is the last time you've actually played a non copy-protected game? Copy-Protection nowadays is somewhat very hidden, but nonetheless very active! In this day and age of Pirating and P2P, no copy-protection; would be the demise of any company.

GODSPEEDseven

Post #: 49
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 7:17:38 AM   
Wee

Most of all,

Thank you to Erik for his outstanding spirit, activity to help us all and his willingness to improve this game which has great potential.

(in reply to GODSPEED7)
Post #: 50
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 9:20:28 AM   
ShadoWarrior

Erik & Sean: I've been playing with the beta patch, and after conquering the Northern Road, Roadblock, and Dam sectors I think I should tell you that the enemies no longer appear to use grenades. At all. Not even when they should be close enough to toss them (which is now MUCH shorter). They seem to only want to shoot you. They don't even charge at you from far away to melee with you anymore (which I think is also related to strength, even though it's Dex that goes up when I melee them). While I welcome not having to endure barrages of 'nades, nor kamikaze martial artists, I must admit that the overall threat level is vastly reduced. Which I don't think is quite what you guys intended.

(in reply to Wee)
Post #: 51
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 10:35:23 AM   
Marc von Martial

JSG, I understand you frustation and we are sorry you have to experience this, but problems with online applications simply happen, this particular issue just popped up and on top of it not for everybody, so it is a tad tricky. It might be due to the server moves we had in the last week and it only just surfaced. That being said, like with all problems we will work this out and that ASAP. Our webdeveloper and admin is working on it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JustSomeGuy
I don't know many games that do have "copy-protection" these days, that sort of thing got ugly a few years back and so most developers avoid it now like the plague.

Uhmmm, this is odd, cause any game I have here, except for ours and some other niche games, do have copy protection, and if it is only to have the DVD / CD required in the drive. All of them require a serial number on top of that.
You are right it got really ugly a few years back, so ugly I was totally denied to play a game that I bought, but it still is ugly actually. Granted some of the really bad protections are not used anymore, but therefore others are used.

Our games only require the serial number, no DVD or CD inserted even if you have the physical version.

Post #: 52
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 12:14:07 PM   
Hard Sarge

JSG

one of the hassle here is you complaining about what Matrix isn't doing and how bad they are, but how many of us, got the patch and are able to download it and use it

something, somewhere is giving you and others trouble, but it is not right to blame them, as not doing there job , or doing there job wrong, it works for if not most, some of us

(for me, I can't get the new verison of Firefox to work, but the old one did, but I see that others are using the new verison, so soemthing, somewhere is screwing it up for me, who's fault is that)

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 53
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 3:43:44 PM   
Erik Rutins

While our admin works on the problem, we're going to post the beta update on our public FTP. Stand by for a link.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 54
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 3:48:47 PM   
Greg Wilcox

We have setup the link below for people to download the public beta patch if they are having trouble dowloading from the members area.

Hired Guns 1.07.001 Beta Patch

-Greg

Greg Wilcox
Production Assistant

Post #: 55
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 3:55:51 PM   
Hard Sarge

that sounds fair :)

link worked for me (but the download page did too)

(in reply to Greg Wilcox)
Post #: 56
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 5:37:30 PM   
GODSPEED7

Ah thank you very much to Erik & Greg, I asm sure I speak for quite a few here when I say I appreciate your commitment! Thumbs up!

GODSPEEDseven

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 57
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 5:47:02 PM   
SlickWilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: ShadoWarrior

Erik & Sean: I've been playing with the beta patch, and after conquering the Northern Road, Roadblock, and Dam sectors I think I should tell you that the enemies no longer appear to use grenades. At all.

That's not my experience, SW. After installing the beta patch, I started a new game. In the north road sector when the soldiers and marauders were battling it out, one of the soldiers ran up and lobbed a grenade or stick of dynamite right below Charles. *BOOM* for 150 pts of damage. That's gonna leave a mark!

That being said, haven't made it any farther yet, so I don't know if that will change.

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

Post #: 58
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 7:42:40 PM   
Wee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

While our admin works on the problem, we're going to post the beta update on our public FTP. Stand by for a link.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greg Wilcox

We have setup the link below for people to download the public beta patch if they are having trouble dowloading from the members area.

-Greg

Greg & Erik,
Thank you for your excellent customer service. Top of the line, I have to say.

Post #: 59
RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2008 11:26:03 PM   
JustSomeGuy

quote:

JSG, I understand you frustation and we are sorry you have to experience this, but problems with online applications simply happen, this particular issue just popped up and on top of it not for everybody, so it is a tad tricky. It might be due to the server moves we had in the last week and it only just surfaced. That being said, like with all problems we will work this out and that ASAP. Our webdeveloper and admin is working on it.

You may want to tell the admins that it looks like people who have other games from you are able to patch this game, but not other games of theirs. That is most likely an important clue.

quote:

Uhmmm, this is odd, cause any game I have here, except for ours and some other niche games, do have copy protection, and if it is only to have the DVD / CD required in the drive. All of them require a serial number on top of that.
You are right it got really ugly a few years back, so ugly I was totally denied to play a game that I bought, but it still is ugly actually. Granted some of the really bad protections are not used anymore, but therefore others are used.

Right, that is what i thought copy protection was at first too, but ShadoWarrior then refined his definition to be only protection from copying the CD (which if you think about it serial numbers do sort of do that). For the record I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with entering a serial number to play a game. Serial numbers that are all numbers like yours was are especially nice since you don't have to decipher if that is a 0 or an O. I don't even mind having to have the cd/dvd in the tray, though it is really nice not to have to.

Piracy sucks, whether it is music, movies, or computer games. I fully believe piracy has held the game industry back, we could already be playing Hired Guns: the virtual Jagged edge (in virtual reality) where it not for piracy. I believe this so much if I know my son and I will be playing the same game at the same time I buy two copies (wife says he still to young for games with guns though).

I see there is now another way to get the file. Thanks for that. I do have a question though, why have an update button on the load screen if it does not do updates? Or is it only because this is still in beta that the patch doesn't make it to the update button?

JSG

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> RE: Hired Guns v1.07.001 Public Beta Now Available! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI