Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Time for a next generation CC..maybe

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> RE: Time for a next generation CC..maybe Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Time for a next generation CC..maybe - 12/19/2008 10:16:07 AM   
Andrew Williams

It would be entirely up to the game/scenario designer.

If he designed it so that the battles were fought over phase lines and fall back positions the game would/could be a continuous battle.

Large maps give options not dead time.

I've played with 10 players h2h on the CCMT sized maps... absolutely brilliant.

(in reply to Stwa)
Post #: 31
RE: Time for a next generation CC..maybe - 12/19/2008 10:28:28 AM   
dodger bullet

On a squad level -- i hope there's a level of upgrades.

The more experience/survibality gained -- the more the user should be rewarded. i.e.

for soldiers. new animations for these vets; faster, quicker to dodge bullets, hit the ground, return fire; accuracy rate higher, nades thrown are cooked; morale-ring (that green one when you press space) larger.

the panzers/vehicles. less prone to blowing off a track; able to recognize threats and appropriate whether to retreat or fight (unless the user deems it otherwise); able to turn off engine faster; able to reload faster; angle their armors to deflect more effeciently; use the closest MG without wheeling to neutralize threats; pop smoke effectively; button in and out for better POV, etc.

----

on an engine basis. i'd love to have more control on my squad. position them without loosing cohesion. For instance -- i take a squad of rifleman to hide in a ruble.

normaly, i would just point that move-circle cursor in that rubble and the game mechanics would figure out where best to hide the men.

but wouldn't it be nice to have more control on each of those individual soldier in my squad.

Maybe have when you hold SHIFT+Right clicking on an soldier in that squad -- you can independently control his action, sans the whole squad.

-----

Have more variation to attack, ambush.

right now we have a pretty broad way of doing things. simple orders. sometimes situations call for a more varied way to handle things.

AMBUSH. take for instance ambush. if i see a patrol moving my way. it'd be nice to have a TAKE-AIM option. where yer men can individually aim different targets (with the help of the SHIFT+RMB proposed aforementioned) -- and fire at a certain DISTANCE given by the user. Or have an ambush-zone circle like found in that one game... i forgot it's name.

TANKS. i'd be nice to order which guns to use to a target. right now we pretty much have an archaic-straight way to kill things. it's simple but not necessarily smart when you're down to 1 AT shells and want to conserve them to a higher threat. only to have a Half track drive by, and yer gunner decides to use his main gun instead of MG to eliminate it. it'll be great to choose my turret MG for that target, and my main gun on that target, etc. again this could be achieved with that invidual order SHIFT+rmb concept.

---------

a.i.

of course it neededn't be said this needs improvements. but what i'd like to focus is the way they surrender.

the peeve of mine is the a.i. foes that RUN towards you -- only to surrender. hope you folks get rid of that in the future. id imagine a soldier on the verge of quits would either just stay prone, which does happen. or run towards the otherside only when there's a lull in the firefight, and with hands raised.

i believe this is what the engine is trying to do, but the animation doesn't depict it right?
---

map

and i already agreed to what's been stated regarding being outflanked map-wise. we've been asking for this since the days of CM. hope it can be incorporated here at last.

environments on the map. I hope other than exploding barrells -- there will be more dynamic, immediate effect against our units. For instance AIRBURSTS on trees when a shell hits it could kill/maim soldiers. I don't know what engines you folks will be using, but i hope there's a way to depict HEIGHTS indoors better. etc.

-------

sound.

it'd be nice to hear tank sounds this time. adds immersion.

thud of bulelts/shells hitting ground, not just the initial gunfire going off. but the impact as well.

-------

graphics. for things strictly cosmetic.

see little puffs or explosion of smoke/spark as a bullet carooms against a dirt, wall, water.

have an option of opting for real depiction of tracer rounds. instead of the laser bullets we're so used to, i'd like to see this be put in. coupled with bullet-impact -- seeing your aim wouldn't be too hard then.

have the option of putting SUPPRESSION indication back from CC2 days. I loved that, when i realize what it was and not a monitor glitch that is. i'm sure you folks will find a way to depict it better with current technology.

-----

input.

I'd love to have DETAILED accounts on what's happening down there to my little soldier. Like found in CC2. As the series goes on, the less we are told what's happening in the battlefield in that little text box. I hope to see this expanded. i.e. if a squad is selected -- more TEXT descriptions on what they're doing would be shown: Moe is showing signs of fatigue; Kelly is under fire, wants better position; Harold just shot a Gerry in the legs and is aiming again to kill; Sanford is now breathing easy with a CO near the vicinity, etc. cool things like that.

of course one could argue we wouldn't have time to read that while the game is going on. while i agree, there is some element of immersion and aid knowing what is going on play by play instead of just sprites going at it. at guns missed, etc.

anyways here's to the future.

(in reply to pelle75)
Post #: 32
RE: Time for a next generation CC..maybe - 12/19/2008 10:41:15 AM   
Stwa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Williams

It would be entirely up to the game/scenario designer.

If he designed it so that the battles were fought over phase lines and fall back positions the game would/could be a continuous battle.

Large maps give options not dead time.

I've played with 10 players h2h on the CCMT sized maps... absolutely brilliant.

Yes, no doubt a 10 player game would be a lot of fun, because on a stock CCMT map the force to space ratio goes up, making for more shooting and explosions, which is what players want. 20 players would be better than 10.

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 33
RE: Time for a next generation CC..maybe - 12/20/2008 2:32:45 PM   
sapper_astro

New graphics have never worked with this game. Every attempt to fully update it has been a travesty.

(in reply to Stwa)
Post #: 34
RE: Time for a next generation CC..maybe - 12/20/2008 3:41:51 PM   
LitFuel

If and when it's ever made I wouldn't buy it if not a top down view...it's already been proven over and over that anything else doesn't work(you can still update graphics and be top down). I mean maybe have the option to tilt it a bit but top down be the main focus. It just gets too crazy to keep track of eveything otherwise and gives the feeling of any other RTS game. There are certain aspects that make Close Combat what it is or you might as well call it something else. Top down, psych-morale system, soldier names, etc....there will have to be some restraint on what features get added or it will turn into a nightmare of a game to control. I like the pace as is now.

(in reply to sapper_astro)
Post #: 35
RE: Time for a next generation CC..maybe - 12/20/2008 7:44:40 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Williams

You pla it with phase lines...

Like "Firefight"?

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 36
RE: Time for a next generation CC..maybe - 12/21/2008 2:27:51 AM   
Neil N

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stwa

Yes, no doubt a 10 player game would be a lot of fun, because on a stock CCMT map the force to space ratio goes up, making for more shooting and explosions, which is what players want. 20 players would be better than 10.

The most fun that I ever had on CC was with 5 per side on the Ghazwah map. 4 players each side with nothing but infantry, and 1 player each side was armor and transport...so there were literally around 400-500 soldiers running around that city map. Besides the fun and coordinating movements with the rest of your side, was the laughter of watching what was happening on our beloved game.

(in reply to Stwa)
Post #: 37
RE: Time for a next generation CC..maybe - 12/26/2008 6:57:45 PM   
bartholimew

quote:

ORIGINAL: sapper_astro

New graphics have never worked with this game. Every attempt to fully update it has been a travesty.

If the new graphics you are referring to consists only of Photoshopping hi BPP textures, then I agree that is not the answer. But that is hardly a serious attempt. A new overlay of 2D art would require integrated rendering, essentially a whole new map making program to import graphics without stretching while mainitaining a physical ground underlay with typical elevation changes. Imagine trenches and ditches that spites actually drop into, not just painted representations. Dynamic ray tracing etc. 2D graphics have come a long way too.

(in reply to sapper_astro)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> RE: Time for a next generation CC..maybe Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI