Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Worst Actors Ever

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Worst Actors Ever Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 2/25/2009 5:36:53 PM   
jagdwolf

"Worst Actor" is really a terrible category...because you almost have to exclude all the stars who don't even try to act. There is a whole class of "star" that don't really act, they just play themselves. Bruce Willis, Keanu Reeves, John Travolta, Harrison Ford etc...virtually all the "fashionable leading men" aren't there to act and never have been; same for most comedians turned "actor".

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 91
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 2/26/2009 3:32:14 PM   
Marauders

quote:

John 3rd stated: I felt Episode III finally delivered the goods.  That movie ROCKED and Hayden almost--maybe not quite--acted in it.

Episode III was all right despite the very poor acting. Without Ewan McGregor, Ian McDiarmid, and Frank Oz, it would have been a total bust as far as acting goes.

Samuel L. Jackson and Jimmy Smits were trying to see which one could become the better plank. Natalie Portman finally showed some emotion, but her hair and costumes were the only things above average in that film.

Hayden almost acted? Well, he tried, but he is such an over-the-top whiner that almost no one can believe he was transformed into the great Darth Vader of James Earl Jones and David Prowse.

It's strange that Episodes I-III were created to show the story arc of Anakin Skywalker, yet, the scenes with Lloyd and Christensen are some of the worst and most forgetable of the films. The scenes with Obiwan Kenobi, clone troopers, and other Jedi in the field (not in council) are what drives the action, and those films are all about the action.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 92
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 2/26/2009 3:57:35 PM   
Marauders

quote:

jagdwolf stated: "Worst Actor" is really a terrible category... because you almost have to exclude all the stars who don't even try to act. There is a whole class of "star" that don't really act, they just play themselves. Bruce Willis, Keanu Reeves, John Travolta, Harrison Ford etc...virtually all the "fashionable leading men" aren't there to act and never have been; same for most comedians turned "actor".

If given a good script, Harrison Ford can be very good. The last Indiana Jones film did not have a good script. It was almost a parody of the other Indiana Jones films. Ford didn't even want to do Return of the Jedi, and with that dozer of a script for his character, it is no wonder why. The largest problem with Harrison Ford is that most of his best acting is done in drama films that are not blockbusters. Most people have seen his acting, but not nearly as many have seen his best acting.

Tom Hanks was an actor that could do comedy, and he often does a great job in realistic leading and supporting roles. One would also have to say that Jamie Foxx can act well with well written and serious material.

I think the problem with comedians is that they still try to be psudo-comedians in action films, and too many actions films are written to allow them to do it. Will Smith often runs into this, and writers tend to add his Schwarzeneggeresque "Hell no" line into too many movie scripts.

(in reply to jagdwolf)
Post #: 93
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 2/27/2009 10:07:31 PM   
jagdwolf

There are of course exceptions, Tom Hanks can act...as can say Robin Williams or John Cleese...still not true of most comedians who try to act though..
As for Harrison Ford..we'll have to disagree..I've seen nearly every film he has ever been in and he can't act in any of them. To me he is in the same class of "actor" as many classic "leading men"...he looks good, sells tickets and doesn't flub his lines...so he is a "star".

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 94
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 2/27/2009 10:17:54 PM   
andym

Sadly in this day and age of PR gurus, a house brick can become a star with the right exposure to the media!

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to jagdwolf)
Post #: 95
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 2/27/2009 10:27:40 PM   
Marauders

quote:

jagdwolf stated: There are of course exceptions, Tom Hanks can act...as can say Robin Williams or John Cleese... still not true of most comedians who try to act though.

John Cleese and Michael Palin can both act well. It is tough to get around their Monty Python days though.

Tom Hanks, we agree on him. Even in support in That Thing You Do he was very good.

The thing about Robin Williams is that he can act well given a good serious part. His comedies are usually a bust though, which holds some irony.

quote:

As for Harrison Ford..we'll have to disagree..I've seen nearly every film he has ever been in and he can't act in any of them. To me he is in the same class of "actor" as many classic "leading men"...he looks good, sells tickets and doesn't flub his lines...so he is a "star".

I liked Ford in Regarding Henry, Working Girl, Presumed Innocent, Hollywood Homicide, and Star Wars. Raiders of the Lost Arc and Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade were good films, as was Blade Runner.

When watching the casting of Han Solo, one can see that Ford was much better than anyone else that showed up for a casting call. So was Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher. The casting director was smart for that film. It's too bad that the casting and writing of I-III were so very poor. I'd take Harrison Ford from Star Wars over over Hayden Christensen from Attack of the Clones any day of the week.

But you may disagree, and that's fine.

(in reply to jagdwolf)
Post #: 96
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 2/28/2009 12:08:04 AM   
Brigz

I like Harrison Ford but I don't think he's that good of an actor. What he has is presence and appeal and that makes him like-able in most of his films. He's the kind of guy women are attracted to and he's the kind of guy men would like to hang out with. I don't think his acting in the Star Wars movies or Indiana Jones movies is that good. I think his best work was in Blade Runner. Don't get me wrong, I like him and enjoy almost all of his movies but he's not what I'd consider an above average actor. He basically plays the same part that he played in American Graffiti.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 97
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 3/4/2009 11:32:29 PM   
milkweg

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

quote:

Charles_22

Thanks Charles_22-a very entertaining clip. It was sort of like watching L. DiCaprio playing H. Hughes.

I was logged in as just a guest but your comment has made me login to my account.

DiCaprio is a very talented actor and your comment just makes me see red. His performance in The Aviator was Oscar worthy. Something I have noticed about people who think he is a bad actor, they are always men and my best guess is they don't like him because he is a pretty boy and can't stand the fact that is what women like instead of their macho idealism of what a man should be.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 98
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 3/5/2009 6:58:37 AM   
ilovestrategy

Worst?

My 15 year old daughter when trying to make up a story of where she's been or what she's been doing!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 99
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 3/5/2009 8:53:30 AM   
Marc von Martial

The italian national soccer team. All of them

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Worst Actors Ever Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI