Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Help with PBEM balance issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Commander - Europe at War Gold >> RE: Help with PBEM balance issues Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Help with PBEM balance issues - 4/10/2009 6:09:42 AM   
YourAdmiral

Skip a couple turns ahead to December 4, 1940. joerock22 has been able to get more units ashore, but RAF air attacks followed by ground assaults are able to wear them down, and he isn't able to fully get them refitted as he hasn't captured a city yet. The Royal Navy makes progress in battering through the sub screen but itself is worn down.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by YourAdmiral -- 4/10/2009 6:10:13 AM >

(in reply to YourAdmiral)
Post #: 31
RE: Help with PBEM balance issues - 4/10/2009 6:15:07 AM   
YourAdmiral

A lesson in value of air power. You can see where joerock22's units are depleted and are being squeezed into an increasingly small beachead south of London. But he still had 1 full-strength infantry corps, and that unit backed by seven air strikes is able to capture London. With supply in place he's able to refit all his units and drive back the British infantry, which appear to have the upper hand in this screenshot. It was quite the battle.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by YourAdmiral -- 4/10/2009 6:32:58 AM >

Post #: 32
RE: Help with PBEM balance issues - 4/14/2009 6:40:26 PM   
GeneralRiddler

I can't believe he was able to take London attacking from a corps attacking from only one hex.. Even with seven air strikes, it almost seems impossible. At that stage of the game, I only seem to get 1:0 odds on tacs (and 0:0 on fighters). I'd love to hear how he pulled that one off. Too bad for you, Admiral. It seems you were on the verge of winning the Battle of England.

Post #: 33
RE: Help with PBEM balance issues - 4/14/2009 10:42:48 PM   
joerock22

quote:

ORIGINAL: GeneralRiddler

I can't believe he was able to take London attacking from a corps attacking from only one hex.. Even with seven air strikes, it almost seems impossible. At that stage of the game, I only seem to get 1:0 odds on tacs (and 0:0 on fighters). I'd love to hear how he pulled that one off. Too bad for you, Admiral. It seems you were on the verge of winning the Battle of England.

Several factors contributed to the capture:

1. The entrenchment on the unit in London was down to 0 or 1 at the start of the turn. It was either a new unit or I had reduced it with previous attacks; I can't remember which.

2. I had 8 air units, not 7. The extra one made all the difference.

3. My air units were at near full strength and they were quite experienced. A little experience can dramatically shift the odds in air-to-ground attacks. It can turn 1:1 into 1:0 or 2:1 or better.

4. My infantry unit was at full strength and hadn't seen combat in England, so it had high effectiveness. I think the air attacks took 7 steps off and the infantry was able to get the last 3. Or maybe it was 8 and 2...my memory is a bit fuzzy.

All this said, I'll be the first to admit I got pretty lucky. If I hadn't, the game would probably be close to over by now. As it is, it's Spring 1942 and I'm only to Smolensk, and the Western Allies have effectively reclaimed the Atlantic. I expect a sizeable landing in France or England within the year. The one thing I have going for me is that I conquered Iraq and Persia, so I don't have to worry about oil. Still, it's going to be a very tough fight.

< Message edited by joerock22 -- 4/14/2009 10:43:43 PM >

(in reply to GeneralRiddler)
Post #: 34
RE: Help with PBEM balance issues - 4/15/2009 12:19:42 AM   
jjdenver

Can you describe when and how you took Egypt? After Sealion? is that a reason your Barbarossa was so weak? What forces did you allocate?

Thanks!

Post #: 35
RE: Help with PBEM balance issues - 4/15/2009 2:12:23 PM   
joerock22

quote:

ORIGINAL: jjdenver

Can you describe when and how you took Egypt? After Sealion? is that a reason your Barbarossa was so weak? What forces did you allocate?

Thanks!

My Barbarossa was so weak because I had lost a handful of units in England and the rest were badly in need of repair. Plus I overran England so late, the extra resources didn't kick in to help me very much. I had to scramble to take Norway, Yugoslavia, and Greece. I just didn't have enough resources to both repair my units and build up a large army for Barbarossa. I sent probably about 5 Italian infantry, 1 motorized, and 1 armour into Egypt, and that was enough because YourAdmiral transported all of the British in Egypt to help defend England. So Iraq and Persia were mine by early 1942. I never send Italian troops into Russia anyway, so the Middle East offensive had nothing to do with my weak Barbarossa. I'd much rather have the Italians defending France than slugging through the Russian snow.

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Commander - Europe at War Gold >> RE: Help with PBEM balance issues Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI