Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What time today ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> RE: What time today ? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 5:51:08 PM   
Erik Rutins

Let me ask another question. Making the physical options available right from the get go could be challenging time-wise. I'd like to also get a sense of the public as far as how a "digital only" launch would go over if the physical options were added a few days later.

Basically, we have two options - go for an earlier release (digital only) to make sure people "notice" COG before ETW coverage swamps the bandwidth, or take our time to get the physical ducks in a row and go for a post-ETW fully synchronized release. I can see advantages to both methods, but I'd like to hear from you all. Keep in mind that if you order a "digital only" copy, we have no way to later "upgrade" it to also include a physical copy and an early release will likely have a few days of "digital only" based on the latest estimates.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Zer0_2121)
Post #: 31
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 6:03:24 PM   
cato13

im gonna hazard a guess here n say i reckon most people, me included, would go for the digital download if that means gettin to play it earlier.  everygame ive bought from u guys have been digital.  u can always release a physical version at a later date.

i also see u cunningly avoided my release questions  just how soon r we gonna see a digital release if u decide on that option?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 32
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 6:05:09 PM   
Zer0_2121

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are getting at Erik.....but wouldn't it be possible to launch a "digital + physical" order choice with a note stating that the actual physical product will not ship until XX date?  That way people who want to order a digital copy can order early, and then eventually receive their physical backup sometime down the road.

Also, if for marketing purposes you would want to stay with a set simultaneous release post-ETW you could allow those who "pre-order" the physical + DL product to gain early access to the download. That way you could advertise a set release date, while adding a bonus to those (namely us) who would preorder. Make sense?

Having your cake and eating it too! :)

< Message edited by Zer0_2121 -- 2/25/2009 6:12:23 PM >

Post #: 33
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 6:20:51 PM   
typhoon

I think for most here sooner rather than latter will always win the day. Then again I'm biased I have at least 10 Matrix games and they are all digital download have not gone for the physical copy option yet.

(in reply to Zer0_2121)
Post #: 34
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 6:26:24 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zer0_2121
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are getting at Erik.....but wouldn't it be possible to launch a "digital + physical" order choice with a note stating that the actual physical product will not ship until XX date?  That way people who want to order a digital copy can order early, and then eventually receive their physical backup sometime down the road.

Unfortunately, it's not that easy. That's exactly how I'd like to do it, but the setup time for the "Digital + Physical" version is much longer than for the "Digital" version alone. The debate is whether it's worth getting out there before ETW with a download only version and make the physical versions available to order a few days later or just wait until after ETW's release and do everything at once.

There are customers who strongly prefer the physical versions and I'm just trying to get a sense of how many in the current crowd waiting for COG:EE would prefer one option or the other.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Zer0_2121)
Post #: 35
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 6:32:00 PM   
mullinFOAD

I'll be waiting for the digital + physical option. So, whenever that is available I'll be a-buyin.

Post #: 36
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 6:32:40 PM   
Panama Red

I always order the "digital + physical" because I want a hardcopy of any game I buy. As a result, if you release a digital only early, I'll just buy ETW and wait till you have the "digital + physical" option available later before I buy CoG:EE.

Post #: 37
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 6:41:09 PM   
Zer0_2121

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Unfortunately, it's not that easy.

Darn....well, for what it's worth I think it is really cool that you are polling your customers directly and take the time to take their suggestions to heart.

Post #: 38
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 6:44:54 PM   
Randomizer

I intend to wait for both digital + physical as well and understand that it will be ready when it is ready.  Am optimistic that CoG-EE will avoid the issues all too often seen with games released prematurely.

(in reply to Panama Red)
Post #: 39
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 6:56:10 PM   
dude

I've done both in the past... just download and on some games digital + physical.  Right now I really looking for a game to play and I'd just get the digital.

“Ifs defeated the Confederates…” U.S.Grant

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 40
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 7:02:29 PM   
Franck

Hi,
I'm interested in digital and Digital+Physical. For me (about your second question) it would depend alot on WHEN is the digital avaible. I'd rather get Digital+physical but since I have a week off next week... I guess I could play that game alot! If it's avaible by early next week I'd be willing to buy only digital (I have done this before anyway, i'd just rather have a physical copy.)

So if you can get Digital only as soon as possible out I'd be REALLY happy! If I decide to wait for physical to... then no problem... Don't keep this gem away from these (*points to all the OTHER geek in the room) guys to long... They could get aggresive :)

CHEERS

(in reply to dude)
Post #: 41
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 7:05:24 PM   
hellfirejet

Digital+Physical is the only way I buy, so I will wait till both are available.

Regards,
Graham.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction! Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

(in reply to Franck)
Post #: 42
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 7:16:59 PM   
jjax

I don't understand the problem. It seems that the people waiting for a physical copy will have to wait the same amount of time depsite the fact that a digital is released early or not.

So why not release a digital now and make the early adapters happy?

--JJAX

(in reply to hellfirejet)
Post #: 43
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 7:34:29 PM   
Missouri Rebel

A fighter who hits first and hits hard usually wins the fight. Why not create a buzz with the DDL before the CD's are shipped? If it is a solid title, the anticipation will only grow for those waiting for ETW and those on the fence.

Although,if you cannot beat them to the punch it might just be better to hold the release until well after the smoke clears from the ETW release and pick up those disenfranchised with that game.

Of course, the better way is to somehow do the dl and ship the game later to those that want both. But you said it cannot be done etc..

my 2 cents

mo reb

We must act... against the Sioux, even to the extermination of men, WOMEN and CHILDREN.The more Indians we can kill this year, the less will have to be killed next year. They all have to be killed or be maintained as a species of paupers.- w.t. SHErMAN

(in reply to jjax)
Post #: 44
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 7:39:21 PM   
Banquet

quote:

ORIGINAL: jjax

I don't understand the problem. It seems that the people waiting for a physical copy will have to wait the same amount of time depsite the fact that a digital is released early or not.

So why not release a digital now and make the early adapters happy?

I agree. So long as releasing the 'digital only' option early doesn't delay the physical option I can't see a problem. People waiting for the physical release won't have to wait any longer than they would have. I suppose they will have to see posts on the forum from people who are playing the game. That might make them mad! But equally it could be a good chance for them to get a sense of how the game plays before they get the game themselves.

Getting the game released in some form before Empire could be beneficial to Matrix as some people might delay purchase to play Empire. In the long term I imagine people who were going to buy either game will do so anyway.

For me personally, I would buy the digital only version regardless.. and won't be buying Empire.

(in reply to jjax)
Post #: 45
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 8:32:17 PM   
dude

I plan on buying both ETW and COG:EE... so the sooner either of them comes out the better.   I'm bored and need a game last week!

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 46
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 8:47:37 PM   
RedArgo

I'll wait for the physical + digital, as I really want the paper manual, although release of the digital only sounds like a good idea. Just be sure to make it crystal clear that you can't upgrade the digital to physical later.

Bill

(in reply to dude)
Post #: 47
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 8:56:00 PM   
Steely Glint

What was that Forrest said about getting there first? :)

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.

(in reply to RedArgo)
Post #: 48
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 9:00:04 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Randomizer

I intend to wait for both digital + physical as well and understand that it will be ready when it is ready.  Am optimistic that CoG-EE will avoid the issues all too often seen with games released prematurely.

Point appreciated, but I don't think it should be a concern here. As of now, there are no known CTD issues (nor other major bugs, for that matter). Of course, our testing team has never been much larger than ten or so testers at any one time, so there is always the possibility that there will be problems that simply weren't detected for that reason, but these problems probably wouldn't be caught if we spent another week or month testing (especially problems that are specific to certain OS types and configurations). So, while there is the chance that problems will be discovered upon release, there are no known problems that we would be ignoring in order to rush the game out. Plus the manual appears to be just about ready (i.e., formatted), our last video tutorial was finished yesterday, and the in-game help is only lacking a few screenshots. (The major thing we're missing is promo videos, but it seems like there are enough of you out there who want the game even without needing to see these, so the release probably shouldn't be delayed just because of them.) So while there are a few things we would like to add or change -- which can be done easily through a patch -- this certainly wouldn't be a premature release.

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 49
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 9:27:15 PM   
general_solomon

Gil: why not release the digital copy now and for those that want the physical should get a discount price after verifying that they purchased the digital copy.   Worse case scenario, you guys can give those wanting the discount associated with purchasing both as a gift card for the difference for future matrix games.  

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 50
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 9:42:30 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: general_solomon
Gil: why not release the digital copy now and for those that want the physical should get a discount price after verifying that they purchased the digital copy.   Worse case scenario, you guys can give those wanting the discount associated with purchasing both as a gift card for the difference for future matrix games.  

Unfortunately, our store simply can't handle that. Much-requested feature, haven't been able to get DR to implement the technology for it yet.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to general_solomon)
Post #: 51
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 9:46:03 PM   
DasTactic

Empire: Total War vs Crown of Glory:Emperor's Edition?

I'll get which ever one is available first. If that doesn't satisfy my Napoleonic thirst I'll buy the other at a later date.

Digital is all I'd be wanting but I'm pretty sure the boxed version of ETW hits the streets here in Australia next week so I'm guessing that is where my 'hard-earned' will be going - at least in the short term. :)

(in reply to general_solomon)
Post #: 52
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 9:51:47 PM   
hadberz

I pretty much only buy digital download games now days, so the sooner CoGEE is out the happier I'll be :)

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 53
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 10:01:48 PM   
moose1999

I'm with the asynchronous crowd.
Get it out.

regards,

Briny

(in reply to Zer0_2121)
Post #: 54
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 10:04:22 PM   
Fintilgin

I would exclusively buy digital if you guys offered the same unlimited downloads that Steam/Gamer's Gate/Impulse offered.  In my opinion that's the only 'acceptable' way to sell a non-physical product.

Otherwise I'm much more inclined to go with a physical/download version in order to protect my 'investment'.

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 55
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 10:09:17 PM   
jjax

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fintilgin

I would exclusively buy digital if you guys offered the same unlimited downloads that Steam/Gamer's Gate/Impulse offered. In my opinion that's the only 'acceptable' way to sell a non-physical product.

Otherwise I'm much more inclined to go with a physical/download version in order to protect my 'investment'.

You can "protect your investment" by burning the download to a CD, or copying the game to some external drive. The value of a physical copy comes in the extras you get; such as a printed manual.

--JJAX

(in reply to Fintilgin)
Post #: 56
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 10:44:49 PM   
Erik Rutins

Thanks for your input everyone.

We've decided to push for an online (digital) release ASAP. Just to be clear about this, we are not rushing the game development itself in order to do this, but we are rushing the post-development production a bit, which is why the physical options will not be available immediately at release and why we'll all be working late hours for the next few days. Here's how it will unfold:

1. Online release of Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition will happen _either_ Friday or Monday, depending on if we hit any snags in the digital release process.

2. Physical release of Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition will happen 4-5 days after that, though it will be 3-4 more weeks after that before the printed manuals are in the store and physical copies are shipping out. If you want a printed manual, please wait until the physical options show up and then order the "Digital + Physical" option so that you have the download while you wait for the boxed copy with the printed manual.

3. We cannot upgrade a digital download only sale to a digital + physical sale. If you want the printed manual please wait for the physical options to show up in the store. The early release will be only for the digital download.

We'll post the above info again in a pinned FAQ thread before the release and also make it clear on the product and store pages. Keep in mind that things do sometimes go off the rails due to a snag or a last minute glitch in the final push to release. So my posting this now does not guarantee that the release will be exactly as I predict, but the odds are pretty good and any delay in the online release would only be a day or two.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jjax)
Post #: 57
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 10:52:03 PM   
Fullervc

Maybe Erik should get an Honorary St George (Patron Saint of Cavalry) Award!

Allons!

Post #: 58
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 11:02:29 PM   
Zakhal

After playing the digital version of Forge of Freedom I really want the printed manual. So I guess Ill just sit tight few more days.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Fullervc)
Post #: 59
RE: What time today ? - 2/25/2009 11:37:58 PM   
dude

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Thanks for your input everyone.

We've decided to push for an online (digital) release ASAP. - Erik

... and there was much rejoicing... yeaaaaaa

oh one more question... is it Friday yet?

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> RE: What time today ? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI