Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 6/22/2002 1:59:27 AM   
Kaakao

My screen name comes about two years back. Kaakao is a hot drink here in Finland and I was drinking one when I needed to enter a screen name to IRC and there it was :)

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 91
- 6/24/2002 2:35:59 PM   
Hades

I chose my name mainly because I wanted something that no one else would have. And to give a little insight into my personality. I love bad guys. The Imperials, Communists, Klingons, the madmen in Bond movies, and who is the baddest of all bad guys. The Dark Lord of the Underworld, Hades himself. Plus I want a name with no numbers, for some reason I hate numbers after my name.

"History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave."
-Edmund Morris

[img]http://members.hometown.aol.com/guarana861512/myhomepage/russiankatkillers.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbaran/images/spwaw-virtual-b-o-b

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 92
- 6/24/2002 11:56:48 PM   
ivantheterrible

I, too, was going for something "fear-inspiring" (:D) in my nickname, and hence "Ivan The Terrible"

It's either that, or Doctor StrangeLove :p

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 93
my nickname... - 7/4/2002 2:45:50 PM   
Brutto-Bob

Ah, well I've found an explanation for my name:

I'm a fan of the South Park Cartoons, and when I choose the nickname I think about this episode:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Land/4801/bob/

So I choose to be like Ugly-Bob that, in italian, could be translated in Brutto-Bob.

Bye.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 94
- 7/5/2002 2:24:52 PM   
Tankhead

Cool tread!

Mine goes way back in the early 70's when all my buddies use to do the protest love peace thing a magig. Well a few buddies and I use to get together on weekend and play Afrika Corps I thing that was the one, well stock on beer and other parafinellia we would play till late sunday night. I was always talking about tanks and grabing anything that was related to tanks. Well one of those weekend we had a few guess drop by and wanted to know why we never joined them in there trip. Well one look at the table we were playing on, actually a 4X8 plywood sheet. When one of the guess seen the war game he started to freak out calling us name and other crap war freaks and a lot worse, to many bad calls to put on this forum, anyway he kick our table and the game when flying every where months of playing gone down the gutter. Then all of sudden he hit my friend and knock him out, well by then I was red with rage and this goone was a big guy so I ran towards him with my head down like a ram and hit him right in the private part as he bent over I lifted my upper body real fast and my head smash him under the jaw and broke his jaw and knock him out. :D :eek:

Well after that day everybody nickname me Tankhead because I love tanks and knock that goone out with my head. ;)

Tankhead

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 95
- 7/5/2002 10:50:25 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I can relate to your post 100% Tankhead.

Yes I am a tad young to be a genuine card carrying hippe, but one of my fav songs is after all "If you go to San Francisco".

But even with all that sort of stuff in my mental makeup, I am still very much attached to the world of the military all the same.

I see people that make foul remarks about us "warmongers", and well, those people on average, are just pitiful, uneducated, morons, barely worthy of the protection so many of us have died to provide.
The only thing providing the freedom those fools like to sing about, is us damnit. No flag burning jerk protestor every did anything useful in securing the peace "they just want to give a chance to".
Forget chances, I sleep better knowing the people that would take my freedom, will have to die trying to take it from me.

During the Gulf war an insane psycho therapy psychiatric lost cause waste of a PHd was on a TV talk show commenting on how "playing wargames" was not really a suitable way of supporting the valiant efforts of the boys in the desert.

How would the dumb bimbo even know. They don't teach military history in psyche 101. They spend their time learning soft fuzzy quasi science.
During the Gulf I watch the news fairly regularly. I KNOW what the guys were enduring. Same things the "guys" endured during the fighting around Tobruk in 40-41-42.
But this lame brain psychiatrist couldn't possible make that leap. They don't teach them anything about the real world in psychiatry.

I don't "play wargames" to "support" anyone. I am not doing it out of emptahic sympathy.
When I have Steel Panthers playing the artillery is on slow function. Why? cause I want to watch my artillery pound the snot out of the other side.
Does that make me some sort of vicious lunatic? Nope.
Only a dangerous lunatic thinks the game is real. No one is dying.
I am recreating an historical event, and amusing myself examinining it. And that's the extent of it. No hidden qualities.

The only lunatics present, are the loonies that generated the actual event, such that I have it as a point of history to study.
And in almost all cases, the person that started to event' had not clue one about the repercussions, because they hadn't studied enough history to know the consequences.

Man if I had been in the room with you Tankhead, those jerks would likely have avoided the area for a long time out of sheer fear.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 96
- 7/6/2002 3:16:49 AM   
Tankhead

Hello Les the Sarge 9-1

Well after that day we never had anymore problems with them goons :D.
As I was writing the post last night and thinking back to those crazy day I had a big smile on my face, those were the days.

I'm sure if you would of been there you would have enjoyed it, thinking back that far brings back good memories.

Tankhead

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 97
name... - 7/6/2002 12:12:23 PM   
Afrika Korps

Way back when, I used to play some old sub game on my friends Amiga computer...I played a U-boat and just nailed every ship he had...he said he was Doomed every game, so being of German stock in RL, and taking his cue, I added Von to Doom and got Von Doom (add to that the fact that I LOVE Victor Von Doom and that I love to side with the "bad guys"). So, in every WWII game I ever played, I was Von Doom, playing for the Germans...actually, I usually go by Obersturmbannfuhrer Von Doom....lol! The Obersturmbannfuhrer part came from when I was in the Army, there was this Lt. Col. who was a total, swaggering jackass. So we used to play like Benny Hill German soldiers and I would pretend to be him, shouting orders in bad German and all my buddies would respond "Ja ja, Herr Obersturmbannfuhrer!!!".

BTW, have you heard that I love this game yet? :D

DAK

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 98
Re: name... - 7/6/2002 9:19:50 PM   
Belisarius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Von Doom
[B]Way back when, I used to play some old sub game on my friends Amiga computer...I played a U-boat and just nailed every ship he had...he said he was Doomed every game, so being of German stock in RL, and taking his cue, I added Von to Doom and got Von Doom (add to that the fact that I LOVE Victor Von Doom and that I love to side with the "bad guys"). So, in every WWII game I ever played, I was Von Doom, playing for the Germans...actually, I usually go by Obersturmbannfuhrer Von Doom....lol!

BTW, have you heard that I love this game yet? :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Ah. I thought you'd taken it from the Marvel Comic world.

Victor von Doom, alias Dr. Doom, arch nemesis of..uh... whatshisface.. Mr. Fantastic :p

Got StuG?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 99
- 7/25/2002 6:50:15 AM   
Katana

Well, I wanted something warlike and I ride a GSX600F, and in the USA it's called Katana (or kan a tuna). simple.

FABRICATE DIEM, PVNC

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 100
- 7/25/2002 1:10:00 PM   
NaKATPase

Now that the thread is famous... time for an explanation ;-)

I'm currently a university student, studying biology...
In order to both pay the bills, and gain some useful experience, I work in a lab on campus... we study the development of fruit fly tracheas as a model for how complex tubule networks (like our lungs for example) develop.

Now, I'm somewhat a quirky person, and when choosing an online personna, I wanted something esoteric...
hence, since this is a historical gaming site, no historical names would do.. I had to turn to the other area about which I knew a little... biology.

The NaKATPase (sodium-potassium pump) is one of the molecule known to be necessary for proper tracheal development in flies... this was the first protein I got to work with in the lab :)

Unfortunately, my secret was already discovered by one gentleman here (acrosome), so I guess I don't lose much by revealing it to the rest of you :p

NaKATPase:
Colocalized with coracle in septate junctions.

"I'd love to step out, but I'd have to see the girl first." -- GM
"A lot of frogs are like that when they're young and repulsive." -- TS

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 101
- 7/25/2002 11:31:28 PM   
ananias

I have been following this thred for a long time, and finally decided to do my share of the screen-name explanantions.

However, there is not much to explain. Ananias is the name I am called by friends and family alike. Don´t know why, though. Maybe it derives from my real first name, Antti.

"Man shouldn't have to live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise." -Spike.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 102
Re: Screen Names - 7/27/2002 4:50:35 PM   
Culiacan Mexico

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Goblin
[B]What is the significance of your Screen Name? [/B][/QUOTE]
A lack of imagination.

I worked for about two years under a DEA contract in the drug capital of Mexico… Culiacan Sinaloa Mexico.

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 103
Re: Screen Names - 8/7/2002 10:49:09 PM   
Bernie

[B]Capt. Pixel and hellcat gave me an idea. I will let you all talk about yourselves! What is the significance of your Screen Name?

I loooove night fighting at super close range! What creeps around in the dark, waiting to get you when you aren't looking? Goblins do.

Goblin- A Goblin is under the bed:eek: [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, the only "handle" I've ever used on the 'puter was Hotshot, which I started using way back in 1982. I came by it quite honorably when stopped by a NJ State Trooper for the minor infraction of doing 135mph in a 55 zone and the first thing the nice officer said to me (minus the cuss words) was, "Okay Hotshot, where the do you think you're going?" This happened with a bunch of friends in the car (we were on our way to Englishtown to run the car on the drag strip in the afternoon heats) Naturally the name stuck, and by the time we ran the last heat at the track that day it was somehow painted on the driver's door of my '70 Plymouth.

However, "Hotshot" became too common a name on the net after 1994 or so, so I now just use my real name. :)

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 104
My Name - 9/4/2002 6:59:04 AM   
Irinami

Irinami is Japanese for "[the] Incoming Wave." I never liked using favourite bands/people as [I]my[/I] online name, so when I went to a music forum and wanted to tip my hat to Flood, I looked up something related on Jeffrey's dictionary site.

I changed chat rooms (realizing music people tend to be like Tankhead's hippies), but kept names so my few friends would be able to spot me. Since then the friends have grown but the name stays the same.

I guess if I played online much, people would say it's probably like my tactics. A big frikkin' incoming wave that crushes stuff... but if you survive it, the wave will cower back under your feet. Need to work on that part. ;)

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 105
- 12/5/2002 2:04:45 AM   
Goblin

Bump!:D

I am interested in what some of the newer guys have to say...

Goblin

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 106
- 12/5/2002 2:38:05 AM   
slehtine

slehtine - first letter from Sasa, rest from family name Lehtinen. My first and last Unix username. My first name is very unusual around here in Finland. So when I had change to choose myself handle I went for something totally ordinary. I like my name very much, but being always 'personal' because of name, well it's not me.

-Sasa

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 107
- 12/8/2002 12:48:41 AM   
sandman20

My name comes from Finnish TV program...and that is an program for children:D .
Sandman appears always in intro and also in outro.
When I was kid I liked that very much.
I'm sure you Finnish guys know what program is the matter in question.

And of course I watch that program nowadays too, but rarely.
And that program is even older than I, about 25 years old, maybe more.:)

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 108
Me - 12/8/2002 10:07:23 AM   
TheOverlord

I am new to the forum but not to SP.

I have played for several years against a group of 3 friends living in CA where I used to live some 12 years ago. I now live in Connecticut. Dont ask me why, it is cold as a witch's t*t tonight....
They are whats left of my old wargames / roll playing game group that I used to hang out with.

I usually give them a whoopin in strategy games so a long time ago they began caling me things like Lord Paul (my real name), Master, and Overlord....that was when they were being nice. The other names would just be *'d out if I typed them here :)

I also have a soft spot in my heart for the bad guys (Big Cats rule!!).

So I joined and when asked for a screen name, I chose TheOverlord because it was the scariest ( :eek: ) of the names my friends called me.....and I couldnt think of anything else at the moment.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 109
Re: Me - 12/8/2002 10:41:33 AM   
Goblin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TheOverlord
[B]I also have a soft spot in my heart for the bad guys (Big Cats rule!!).[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah they do, baby!:D :D :D

Goblin

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 110
Re: Re: Me - 12/16/2002 9:35:18 AM   
M4Jess

[B]Yeah they do, baby!:D :D :D

Goblin [/B][/QUOTE]

another name for a Kat is a pu**y:D

M4Easy8 baby! :mad:

now where did I get my screen name? I forget:p

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 111
- 12/16/2002 6:40:19 PM   
TheOverlord

Maybe, but when they get crampy they can be a real b*tch to deal with.....:D
And blowing up M4's works better than Midol!
:)

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 112
- 12/16/2002 7:37:11 PM   
Goblin

[B]Maybe, but when they get crampy they can be a real b*tch to deal with.....:D
:) [/B][/QUOTE]

I think I love you.:eek:

Goblin:D

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 113
- 12/17/2002 3:06:10 AM   
M4Jess

[B]Maybe, but when they get crampy they can be a real b*tch to deal with.....:D
:) [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes but I have my redwings :eek:

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 114
- 12/17/2002 9:15:47 PM   
TheOverlord

[B]I think I love you.:eek:

Goblin:D [/B][/QUOTE]

Your Tiger or mine....:D

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 115
Behind the Mask - 12/19/2002 3:35:51 PM   
Ironfist

Hello fellow wargamers.:) My name is Ironfist. In the old school days my friends called me Iron, but thats only the begining. Back in 1998. I started playing SP 3 online. I had been playing before that since 1991. with SP1 agianst the AI. Now when I started on Mplayer. There were a small group of very good players. I think there may have been about 40 players on my list at one point in time. Now being new at online gameing and chat rooms I changed my name quite often. Steelfist, Capt_Crunchy, TheViking, and HitlerYouth101. This usually got a few laughs from my opponents. But Finally I descided on Ironfist. Because I ruled with an Iron Fist. I had become #1 for 3 months on Case's Ladder. When I first started. I played with a great deal of heavey Armor and very little Infantry support except to protect my armor. I was also good at useing artillery to destroy my enemys. But mostly it was the large Tank battles we engaged in that made me keep my name as it appears now. Sometimes you may see me as ironfist738. This refers to 7th kompanie, 3rd platoon, 8th Vehicle. Ironfist also displays the way I attack my opponents useing the ole Blitzkrieg Tactics. " On my signal Release Hell !!!":eek:

Waffen Soldat Hesselbrock
11th SS Freiwilligen Nordland Div.
23rd SS PzrGdr. Reg. Norge.
7th Kompanie 1st Zug.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 116
- 12/22/2002 12:27:19 AM   
Goblin

[B]Your Tiger or mine....:D [/B][/QUOTE]

Say Tiger to me again... :eek:

Goblin

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 117
- 12/22/2002 2:02:59 AM   
Don Doom

[B]Say Tiger to me again... Goblin [/B][/QUOTE]

Sick,Sick,Sick,Sick:D :p :D

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 118
- 12/22/2002 2:04:31 AM   
Goblin

Tiger is just ordinary dirty talk to me... If he wanted to be sick, he could say King Tiger! Or maybe Jagdpanther! Ooooohhhhh, ooooohhhh!

:eek: :p :eek:

Goblin

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 119
- 12/22/2002 2:08:54 AM   
Don Doom

ROTFLMAO:D :D :D

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI