Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Planetary Upgrades

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Planetary Upgrades Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Planetary Upgrades - 5/14/2002 5:57:55 AM   
Nox Celeste

Hey all,
After playing a few games I've noticed something that isn't covered in either the manual or on this board; Tho, I'm not sure if anyone else is having this particular problem.

Starships can either automatically upgrade, or they can be ordered to upgrade only when told to. This is a neat little automation, takes a lot of stress and hairpulling out of the game for me. But... what about planets? I've noticed that, after playing three or four games to make sure, planets do not auto-ugrade their existing hardware/facilities/weapons unless specifically told to.

Lets say I have an optical computer installed on Sol III. Now, a few hundred years later when I finish researching dimensional computers, I concentrate on upgrading all of my fleets. Haphazardly, I check back up on my homeworld to make sure it's armor, shields, etc. aren't in need of repairs/refitting and I notice that all of my equipment is back in the fusion age. To complicate things, since there are no slots left to build, I have to demolish some component/weapon that I really can't afford to, just to build a new computer or whatever it is that needs upgrading.

I'd find it much easier if planets auto-upgraded themselves, much like ships do. If I have four generators that need upgrading and all the slots are filled, I have to demolish and rebuild, taking up time and leaving the world virtually powerless, weaponless, or whatever I demolish to make slots. I can't just upgrade my component to a bigger, better component. I have to install the new one while the old one is just sitting there, and when it's built then I can demolish the old one. Doesn't make any sense; Why not just upgrade the existing one just like starships do?

Maybe I'm just missing something that's blatantly obvious. If I am, someone kick me. But when I have eight different worlds, I don't want to have to do what I explained above to each and every world for each component. I'm too busy blowing things up to do that.

- Nox

I can beat anyone in checkers... by playing chess.
Post #: 1
- 5/14/2002 4:03:46 PM   
madmax88

Worlds DO autobuild new components when available.
And it struck me as annoying sometimes when they start refitting old technology when there's like a month left in researching a long awaited weapon...:D
Check your game options as there might be one that says not to autobuild on worlds, can't recall.
You must also have enough resources, and the 'upkeep worlds' must be on in the finances section i think.

- -mAdMAx

(in reply to Nox Celeste)
Post #: 2
- 5/14/2002 7:12:56 PM   
Henri

Worlds definitely upgrade-eventually. But if your world is continually building someting, it may not have time to upgrade. I suspect that, as it should be, upgrading is last on the priority list of worlds.

However there are SOOME items on worlds that you have to build manually -such as mines.

Henri

Post #: 3
- 5/15/2002 4:07:29 AM   
Nox Celeste

Aha, someone kick me. I'm at work right now so I can't check, but Madmax's comment about an option being turned off is probably correct. I had turned off all of the auto-whatever options and set that to the default setting because I wanted to learn how the game mechanics worked before automating certain things. I'm pretty sure planetary upgrades are included in the auto-build trade routes or some such thing.

So... someone kick me.

- Nox

I can beat anyone in checkers... by playing chess.

Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Planetary Upgrades Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI