Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style - 3/13/2009 11:28:44 PM   
bbmike

I changed the default game font to Arial. Here's the before and after shot. I've uploaded the file and instructions on how to change the font here: http://www.foreveryaction.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9

I didn't change to other fonts yet but it's easy enough to do. Any font can be used.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 31
RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style - 3/14/2009 1:29:34 AM   
morganbj

Hey it also made Hapshire a North African City in Algiers.  Wow!

Seriously, are all the values really the same for these two provinces?

(in reply to bbmike)
Post #: 32
RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style - 3/14/2009 1:33:16 AM   
bbmike

Well, the screenshots are from the 1820 Balanced scenario, so probably, yes?! 

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 33
RE: Love your games.... but... - 3/14/2009 9:58:15 PM   
pixelpusher

quote:

ORIGINAL: Das123

I'm a designer by profession and the serif vs sans-serif legibility argument is marginally true of 'printed' rendition of type, but not of projected or pixelated rendering. Essentially serif fonts are only clear in a screen environment if they are anti-aliased, otherwise sans serif is much much safer to render and much more legible. Besides, the original research done on type legibility was from decades ago

I just wanted to agree with this... Both sans-serif and serif fonts can be readable in different situation: Sans serif are generally accepted as being better for on screen (ie computer), whereas serif fonts are generally more readable in print, such as your newspaper, or books.

The main problem is anti-aliasing: In many computer apps, (including CoG:EE) the fonts aren't anti-aliased. Unless you're actually smoothing out all the little pointy serifs (such as you do in print), they just make the text more visually distracting. Also, the font, Times New Roman (TNR) that we use in game has a little bit greater difference between caps and lower case letters. Thus, the main body text is a couple pixels smaller than, say, Tahoma.

That said, serif vs sans serif is just one of those Coke v. Pepsi issues... some people feel really strongly one way or the other. So the best thing is to allow people to switch, should they want to.

BTW: There is a great movie out called 'Helvetica' which talks about helvetica.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 34
RE: Love your games.... but... - 3/15/2009 3:57:01 AM   
Moltke71

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

maybe we should just put in the Font that the Nations of the time used, so each Nation would have there own Font/Style

Having worked with primary sources from the period, I can assure you that you don't want period type.

Jim Cobb

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 35
RE: Love your games.... but... - 3/15/2009 6:47:19 PM   
Mr. Z

Mayhaps we could Pofsibly alfo ufe the Ftylistick MANNERISMS of the Period as well, tho many may FIND that they be fomewhat ARBITRARY and PUZZLING, particklularly in terms of CAPITALIZATION.

(in reply to Moltke71)
Post #: 36
RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style - 4/9/2009 8:13:49 PM   
RtG

quote:

ORIGINAL: bbmike

I changed the default game font to Arial. Here's the before and after shot. I've uploaded the file and instructions on how to change the font here: http://www.foreveryaction.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9

I didn't change to other fonts yet but it's easy enough to do. Any font can be used.

Could you explain how to do it bbmike if I wanted to use Tahoma?

(in reply to bbmike)
Post #: 37
RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style - 4/17/2009 10:29:32 AM   
lancer

Goodaye,

I don't own CoG (EE) but I'm giving it serious consideration.

I'd have to agree with the orginal poster here and say that the Times Roman font is a big downer for me. I realise that this is a very subjective judgement and - in the big picture of things - a trifling matter.

But ...

Perusing all the screenshots I can see it's a beautifully put together game with great aesthetics. But that font really bugs me. I know it's a minor matter and shouldn't affect my decision but it does.

The Tahoma, on the other hand, looks great.

Please don't take this as a "Fix it or I won't buy your game" post as it's not. All things considered I'll probably purchase once the patch is out but I really do have a visceral reaction to the current font.

Cheers,

Lancer

(in reply to RtG)
Post #: 38
RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style - 4/18/2009 2:59:19 AM   
lancer

Ah-huh!

I see that you're one step ahead of me.

Excellent.

Cheers,

Lancer

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 39
RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style - 4/18/2009 12:16:15 PM   
Terl

Thanks bbmike!  That looks much, much better. 

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI