Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Belisarius vs. Scharfschütze - Steel Dawn

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Belisarius vs. Scharfschütze - Steel Dawn Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Belisarius vs. Scharfschütze - Steel Dawn - 5/18/2002 6:56:09 PM   
Scharfschütze

We agreed on 8/43 6700 Pts Soviets vs. Germans, C&C off, rarity off, all else on, no strike AC, max. 1000 Pts off-board arty, Vis. 18 (dawn), clear weather and random large map (I´ll try to post it when I find out how to capture it!).

Area is near Orel, with two creeks running south-north were they join in the upper third of the map. Several patches of wood are strewn across the map, as are numerous hills with a fair amount of rough terrain on them. A good road runs east-west, with a number of buildings and even a small village alongside. despite all the terrain features, there are rather large fields of fire between them, so it is a good thing that the sun has yet to rise on this battlefield (its 5.00 AM).

Initial bombardment was inconclusive: My Katyushas ravaged a central hill with little casualities (at least there was some one up there), while Belisarius concentrated 105mm and heavy mortar fire on my northern front area and a southern hill just beyond "my" branch of the creek.

Then came the surprise: Fallschirmjäger!
The Germans were deploying some two platoons of paratroops reinforced by MG42´s behind my southern postions!

I was worried. Then I assessed local forces, and found that I had two fully loaded Katyusha launchers for direct fire, some SU-76 SPA and - TWO PLATOONS OF OT-34 FLAMETANKS in the vicinity.
:eek:

Bright flames lit the early morning, and
when the smoke cleared the Fallschirmjäger had perished to the last man.

Belisarius then brought several 88AT guns into position, while being harassed by heavy MG fire and sporadic 85mm Flak shelling. Three of his SdKfz 11 are burning now, and I have put up local smoke screens with my SU-76 SP artillery. 120 mm mortar shells are now falling on the area where the FJ´s died, trying to hit my units there.

I have yet to see the fearsome Tigers and Panthers, he has not committed them - or any other Panzer - yet.
Post #: 1
- 5/18/2002 7:28:35 PM   
Belisarius

First round is a clear victory for Scharfschütze. Part can be blamed on my inexperience with airdrops, I really didn't expect them to come in on the first turn. I wanted them to drop later after Scharf' had moved his troops out of the DZ. Anyway, as it turned out they dropped into a flaming inferno, and were cut down as they landed. 3 platoons wiped out! But don't jump the gun on that being the total commited force, Scharf ;)

The screams of the dying men were heard all the way back to the lines, and the FO's decided to call in heavy mortars for vengeance. The SPAs are open-topped, so they hoped for a few lucky hits. No casualties could be confirmed, though.

OB 105's seem to be out of reach for a while - victims of counter-artillery fire?

I'm not sure yet if I like the map or not. It's mostly flat and despite small wooded areas, it's mostly open ground - very few opportunities for cover, so smoke and long-range fire will probably be decisive here. For long-range, visibility is ONLY 18, which means that Scharf has an advantage, as my panzers will be within killing range when they fire (at least vs. KV-1s or JS tanks).

Scharf has layed down a smokescreen on a rocky hill in the southern sector, just opposite a hill where I have rushed a few 88's into position. This is just in front of the creek and where the FJ's met their fate among SPA's, Katyushas and Flame Tanks.

Got StuG?

(in reply to Scharfschütze)
Post #: 2
Turn 2 - 5/18/2002 8:01:48 PM   
Belisarius

Still easy all over the front. The men are moving slowly towards their positions, but no contact with Ivan is made.

Both sides fling grenades at each other, with inconclusive results. Scharf is targetting my 88's (curses for the lack of cover!), but he ain't getting any :)

Got StuG?

Post #: 3
It´s time for my little surprises! - 5/18/2002 8:52:47 PM   
Scharfschütze

Partisan attack!

The brave people of the Soviet Union have risen to smite the evil fascist oppressors!!!

From cleverly chosen hidouts they have waited for the invaders to put up their artillery postions and begin the attack. Then they struck! Two mortars are silenced, and a dozen fascist soldiers lie dead.

In another hotspot, those heroes found themselves surrounded by hordes of enemy infantry, and died gloriously, taking several foes with them, including a mtrcy squad that was caught in the crossfire of an MG 42 :D !

More shells fall on the 88AT´s, while a overly brave rifle squad feels the sting of our 12,7mm bullets at long range.

Belisarius has begun to shoot some smoke of his own now, but the line is patchy. Maybe my partisans are behind this?

Still no Panzer. I bet they are massing somewhere!;)

Post #: 4
Kelts! - 5/18/2002 10:36:09 PM   
Belisarius

Bitter firefighting erupts around the mortar batteries as the mortar protection squads neutralize the Pitchfork Commando. :mad:

Still no sight of Ivan's lines, but 2nd lt. Eulemann had a sniper take a pot-shot at him. He missed :)

A cheer is heard all over the line as a Red Army ammo dump goes up in flames with a spectacular firework display, due to accurate mortar and artillery fire. (actually, they disperse shells over a 10x10 hex area where I have targeted ONE, but with results nonetheless :D )

More smoke, more shelling the 88's with indirect fire from the SPA's. I've got to get those rolling shoeboxes!

Got StuG?

Post #: 5
Oh no! - 5/19/2002 12:01:55 AM   
Scharfschütze

Comrade-Colonel Lucashenco carefully evaluated the incoming reports: "The germans are holding back all along the line. Their mortar and artillery fire is sporadic and inaccurate. A sniper has tried to penetrate in the northern sector and has been dealt with just after he crossed the creek. Now, if we...

[B]BOOOM![/B]:eek:

A tremendous explosion shook the command post. A black cloud of smoke could be seen rising behind a nearby hill were his forces had stacked artillery ammunition. Explosions were rolling all over the area, intermingling with the crash of exploding munitions from the dump.

Lucashenco cursed obscenely.:mad: How had those fascist swine learned of the location of his ammunition? Perhaps a final radio message from the paratroopers his OT-34 had just roasted?

Now he would teach them a lesson or two!;)

Post #: 6
- 5/19/2002 2:41:47 AM   
Belisarius

Everything has been quiet since the enormous explosion. Still no enemy to be seen, but SU-76 smoke and HE still drop all over the line. Ivan's helping us to patch the holes in our smokescreen! Thanks!

Armor still not comitted, but I fear the enemy might be aware of its whereabouts?

Got StuG?

Post #: 7
More probing - 5/19/2002 3:30:06 AM   
Scharfschütze

Our spies tell us that the enemy believes that we are aware of their Panzers positions. As of now, we cannot confirm nor deny this...:D

The smallbore artillery exchange continues, with the densities of our fires far outweighting the fascists´.

Our valiant scouts have spotted german troops moving through the woods near the confluence of the creeks in the northern sector, where at least one 88AT had been deployed earlier. Comrade-Colonel Lucashenko has ordered our glorious 152mm artillery to bombard the area, which should stop any advance in its tracks.

May victory belong to the defenders of the motherland! For Stalin! Death to the oppressors!

Post #: 8
Codeword: Ruby! - 5/19/2002 6:41:07 PM   
Scharfschütze

"All units report emerald postions reached, Comrade-Colonel. Still no attacks by the germans reported." the young aide summarized.

"Those cowards!" Lucashenko swore.
"Hiding won´t help them. Comrade Chernyshevsky, is everything prepared for Ruby?"

"Yes, Comrade-Colonel, the artillery is awaiting your orders" the forward observer replied via radio.

"Allright. All units, this is Lucashenko. Codeword Ruby, I repeat, Codeword Ruby. For Stalin and the Motherland, destroy the fascist bastards!" the colonel commanded.

Seconds later dozens of Katyusha rockets streamed from their launchers and crashed into the german positions. Half a dozen launchers concentrated on the main target, a large hill that dominated the southern area of the field. Scores of explosions blasted the height, the bright flashes and acrid smoke quickly intermingling with the smoke the heavy artillery had begun firing. The hill was on fire!

Other Katyushas reached out for the enemy mortar positions, attempting to silence them at least momentarily, and blew up an ammo-truck resupplying them. Urrah!

Already the scouts had arrived at the hill, shooting the shell-shocked 88AT crews from less than 100 meters. With the dreaded guns silenced, halftracks and tanks began to appear, wreaking further havoc among the dumbstruck defenders. Motorcyclist fell from their mounts, riddled by TMG-fire. A brave AT-team tried half-heartedly to hold back an onrushing OT-34 flametank,and was scorched when his Panzerfaust missed wildly.

The 152mm heavy howitzers had switched shells and were pounding the reverse slope of the hill with high explosive. 76.2 mm guns continued firing at point targets.

The fight for the southern objective had begun in earnest, and perhaps the germans would now be forced to commit their beloved Panzer to battle!

Post #: 9
- 5/19/2002 6:52:18 PM   
Belisarius

Katyushas! :mad: :mad:

Meanwhile, we're sending the artillery crews back to school - they couldn't even hit a barn from the INSIDE! Despite not changing taret, they continue with their inaccurate bombardments! I KNOW where the Katyushas are, it's just a matter of getting the shells to land there :(

The men readies their weapons with silent determination. Ivan is coming, and we will get him. The panzers are still untouched, and avaits the enemy onslaught.

Got StuG?

Post #: 10
- 5/19/2002 8:38:49 PM   
Belisarius

The southern hill is turning into a bloodbath. The commies are scaling the hill led by a T-34, but with heavy casualties. The hilltop is under heavy artillery fire from SPA's and 152mm batteries.
The men take cover under what is at hand, but also bite back - a platoon of AT molotov squads ventured a bit too far with their M3 HT and was cut down to the last man.

I also see a platoon of crap lend-lease equipment - Wolverines!

Now, where are the heavies? :p

The tank crews look anxiously at Lt. Telner in the lead panzer. He's sitting calmly in the cupola, smoking a cigarette and constantly gazing towards the enemy lines. A small wave with the hand signals to the others that it is not yet time.

Got StuG?

Post #: 11
The Battle rages! - 5/20/2002 12:29:58 AM   
Scharfschütze

Sergej, Lucashenko´s aide turned his attention away from the radio for a moment:

"Comrade-Colonel, the germans report that they are inflicting heavy casualities on our assault troops on Ruby Hill"

Lucashenko smiled grimly. He had been observing the fight through his binoculars for the last few minutes. His flame tanks were burning the fascists to cinders, while the Guards stormed position after position, driving the panicked defenders into a rain of heavy artillery fire. Without proper antitank support, there was no escape for the beleagured enemy. Everywhere the trees lining the hilltop had caught fire, and behind the flames the explosions of heavy shells could be seen. His 152mm howitzers were doing a good job there. Nice, accurate fire, with smaller caliber covering the flanks

Lucashenko reached into a pocket and pulled out his old pipe. The germans were still holding back, despite the destruction his troops were wreaking on the hill. So be it, he thought while stuffing the pipe. He had some more tricks to play on them...

"Sergej, hand me the radio" he said while puffing smoke...

Post #: 12
More massacre! - 5/20/2002 4:04:56 AM   
Scharfschütze

"Tank Platoon Alpha, what is your situation?" Comrade-Colonel Lucashenko spoke into the mike anxiously. The smoke and fire had become so thick that he could barely see Ruby Hill anymore.

The radio crackled with static, thenvery loud MG-fire could be heard, followed by a most unholy whooshing sound.

"This is Alpha. We are killing them! The flee like rabbits!". The tank commanders´voice sounded exuberant, and the Colonel thought that he was hearing screams in the background.

Lucashenko´s face relaxed. Smiling smugly, he lit his pipe again. Ruby seemed to be working fine. The artillery had effectively suppressed the 88AT gun positions, which had then been easily stormed by the Guards. With the Flame tanks at their side, they were destroying the enemy infantry. Casualities were light, while the fascists had already lost dozens of men. His own artillery was now sweeping the southern reaches, while the german heavy mortars tried a weak and inconclusive counterbattery fire. Reports were also coming in from other recon units. The enemy was holding back in the north and central areas.

The Panzer counterattack would come soon, Lucashenko mused. But he was prepared...

Post #: 13
- 5/21/2002 4:28:44 PM   
Belisarius

The Panzer crews looked with dismay on the smoke billowing from what used to be a hill. Only screams from dying infantry and the roar of enemy engines could be heard through the smoke and shell explosions.

Lt. Telner spoke a few short words in the radio set, and a faint crackle acknowledged that HQ had recieved the request.

He slowly raised his armed, but held it there for now. It's not yet time....

Meanwhile, the Ivans has stolen cloaking devices from the Klingon! :mad: They shoot at us, but can't be seen! Argh.

They also haven gotten a supply of homing devices - even half-assed shots at MOVING squads strike home, while concentrated German fire can't hit ****!

Got StuG?

Post #: 14
Oh well, just wait while your infantry is dying... - 5/21/2002 5:26:42 PM   
Scharfschütze

"Comrade Colonel, this is Alpha. Enemy morale is shattered. They flee whenever they see us. those who don´t die. Readiness for Obsidian soon reached" the tank platoon commander reported.

"Clear remaining pockets of resistance. Obisidian will follow soon enough. Make sure there are no survivors on Ruby!" Lucashenko ordered. Leaning back, he evaluated the situation. The enemy had made scouting attempts using motorcvycles. but the numerous heavy MG´s his troops had set up quickly discouraged these probes. Audaciousness doesn´t stop a 12,7mm bullet. :eek:

The enemy tanks were still in reserve, but surely they had by now reached counterattack positions.

The enemy artillery was still trying counterbattery fire, while his own guns were sweeping the fringes of Ruby hill. The hilltop had been cleared, and the enemy seemed thoroughly shaken.

His troops controlled large portions of the southern field, while the open expanses of the northern and central sections were no-go areas for both sides. If the enemy struck against Ruby, the battle might well be decided there. So be it. He reached for the radio once more...
:rolleyes:

So Belisarius is still on the defensive. Seems that he doesn´t like his infantry anyways! ;)
I wonder what his master plan is ... wait for reinforcements and then try the big push?
:confused:
Concerning my use of klingon kloaking technology:

As of yet, we can´t confirm nor deny this!
:D :cool: :D

Post #: 15
More Mg´s - 5/22/2002 2:32:59 AM   
Scharfschütze

In the distance Lucashenko could hear his heavy MG´s barking. So the germans were still sending probes through the smoke, which were then ripped to shreds by the Dushkas. Very fine. Ruby Hill was firmly in soviet hands now, and Obsidian could be launched soon...

Post #: 16
- 5/22/2002 3:23:16 PM   
Belisarius

Lt Telner felt a shiver down his back. There's something wrong! He was now very tense, small droplets of sweat showing on his forehead, eyes constantly scanning the horizon in direction of "der Schlachthügel". Had the enemy spotted their positions?! He could not afford to gamble since the infantry could no longer be counted on. With a quick gesture he pointed his arm forward, and immediately the air was filled with the defeaning roar of engines...

Got StuG?

Post #: 17
At last! - 5/22/2002 6:50:09 PM   
Scharfschütze

I was able to lay my hands on an aerial recon photo taken before the battle. Ruby Hill is in the south, the codewords for the other hills are still classified though...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 18
- 5/22/2002 7:01:54 PM   
Belisarius

I might add that the entire Ruby Hill, or [I]der Schlachthügel[/I] as it's become known, is now set intirely ablaze. Scharfschütze has covered it with a rolling barrage of SU-76's and heavier mortars.

Needless to say, my infantry are no longer on that hill :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, Lars - I'm having a final exam tomorrow (Financial Management yeeehsh... ), so I'll get back to you with the turn as soon as possible (probably tomorrow afternoon) :p

Got StuG?

Post #: 19
- 5/22/2002 7:35:49 PM   
Scharfschütze

Good luck with your exam. University is closed this week, hence I have time aplenty to level hills and take hypersnaps. And I just can´t find that book on statistics I´m supposed to read...:rolleyes:

Post #: 20
- 5/23/2002 5:29:01 PM   
Belisarius

Thanx, I might have passed the exam :p

Meanwhile, the Gods of Fortune continue to smile on the Bolsheviks. A half-vitted M7 (!) crew spotted a MOVING (!!) PzIV through 5 (!!!) hexes of smoke, fired a shot, hit and mushroomed (!!!!) the tank! :mad: :mad: If this is how things work, I might as well surrender immediately. :rolleyes:

On the plus side, it is now the fun begins. I have yet to see his main tank force. :)

In the north, an '88 and an '85 played an old western-style (albeit oversized) duel with each other. Apparently the '85 had HMG or AA support (who can tell, they're cloaked), so it was a draw.

Got StuG?

Post #: 21
Things are heating up! - 5/23/2002 6:24:01 PM   
Scharfschütze

"Comrade-Colonel, this is Gamma. Engaging panzers!" the radio crackled. A resounding bang sounded, followed by enthusiastic cheers.:D

"We hit him! He´s on fire!. A Pz-IV type! Hey, there comes another. The PTRD rifles are already firing at him. Shell away! **** it! Reload! Reload!"

More curses could be heard through the loudspeakers, then another bang, and again, loud cheering.:D

"We got another, the crew is bailing out. The infantry is already at it" the M10 Wolverine commander reported. The tank´s MG began hammering.
:mad:

So the germans had begun committing their tanks at last. Too late! His forces were prepared and waiting.

In the north, his MG´s were ripping the enemy infantry advancing through the woods near the 88AT´s position to shreds. Two squads were disassemled, only a lone MG42 avoided the withering hail 12,7mm bullets. To top it off, he had ordered his heavy artillery to drive the germans from that area. Already heavy explosions tore through the forest near the confluence of the creeks. :p

Hey Belisarius, I actually like the Wolverine. And it is 2-0 now!
Ah yes, a Wolverine absolutely can´t stand kitties! :D

Post #: 22
- 5/24/2002 5:43:26 PM   
Belisarius

With the two lead panzers reduced to burning hulls, Lt. Telner signalled the platoon to halt. "Stand back! We don't know what's in there!" he said, pointing towards the smoke-covered hill to the south.

A handful of survivors staggering down the hill and out of the smoke suddenly turned around and killed a Molotov squad advancing behind them. "hah, that'll teach them to leave our panzers alone!" the sergeant said, catching his breath.

Heavy bombardment in the north, an 88 under 150mm fire was desperately asking for relocation. Telner gestured to a SdKfz-11 to get moving, but it only made it half-way. Passing a house, it suddenly exploded in a ball of flames. Villagers! :mad: They will surely suffer for this!

Got StuG?

Post #: 23
Got another! - 5/24/2002 11:25:48 PM   
Scharfschütze

In the valley below the german Panzer-IV´s were relocating, moving away from the hill and the burning wreckage of their platoon members into overwatch postions. The easternmost of the tanks came under AT-rifle fire, intermixed with heavy MG bullets. Then it suddenly burst into flame.

"This is Gamma. Sgt. Ramazonov´s Wolverine has taken out another fascist!" Lt. Ordabkenyate reported.

Meanwhile the 152mm artillery had begun shelling the areas north and northwest of Ruby Hill, were the enemy was gathering troops for a counterattack. Observant eyes noted that the fire struck true amidst the hapless german infantry.

More than a kilometer to the north a lone Wolverine peeped over a hillcrest. An 88mm shell missed it by less than a meter, and the TD quickly withdrew behind the hill before the AT gun could reload.

In retaliation, 12,7mm MG´s opened fire from concealed positions, spraying the gunshield of the fearsome weapon with heavy bullets.

In his command post, Colonel Lucashenko was measuring distances on a map. The decision would soon be made.

Post #: 24
- 5/25/2002 9:15:48 PM   
Belisarius

Positions are at a standstill. The panzer crews have spotted several PTRD teams in the forest, as well as a few snipers. No casualties could be confirmed, though. We'll see what happens next.

Motorcycle platoons (hey, if you got'em - spend'em! :D ) have been redirected to deal with the villager situation.

The commie 152 arty is coming too close to be comfortable, but all they manage to do for now is reshape the landscape....

Got StuG?

Post #: 25
That was a platoon! - 5/25/2002 9:55:09 PM   
Scharfschütze

"Crack!!!"
Again the powerful 76mm gun of Sgt. Ramazanovs Wolverine fired. A fourth Panzer burst into flames. The valley below was filling with wreckage.

Meanwhile, recon and sniper troops were chasing the enemy infantry away. In the distance, the heavy arty was pummeling other german lines of advance.

Spotty mortar fire was falling on Ruby Hill and the forest to the east of it, from where the PTRD´s had been taking potshots at the Pz Iv´s while the M10´s had taken aim.

things were rather calm for the moment. But that could change any second...

Post #: 26
- 5/26/2002 5:14:23 PM   
Belisarius

Ah! Ivan must use stolen equipment to get our proud panzers!

Oberleutnant Telner stressed the issue of getting rid of the villagers while talking to HQ. They had now taken to the hills, and had a good position overlooking the area. One band was 'dissolved', but another had dug in deep.

Apart from the scout and PTRD teams in the forest brink, there is no sight of the enemy. The Ivans are an invisible killer! A panzer also reported seeing a another stolen Studebaker truck further into the forest.

Got StuG?

Post #: 27
All silent... - 5/26/2002 6:21:11 PM   
Scharfschütze

Nono, those Studebakers are made in the U.S.A.!
More lend-lease "crap" like the M10´s that lead 4-0 to your Panzers!:D

Go ask your U-Boat boys, they didn´t get them in the Atlantic, and you won´t get them here in Russia!

The front has turned strangely quiet.

The Germans are trying to suppress the infantry in the forest east of Ruby Hill and have laid a wall of smoke on the northern front in an unsuccessfull attempt to shield their harassed men in the woods at the confluence from heavy MG fires from unseen sources.:D

The Panzers, having taken a bloody nose in their last sally, are holding back.

And my brave partisans will fight ot the death!

Post #: 28
- 5/26/2002 7:51:29 PM   
Belisarius

Quiet turn.

The commies are concentrating heavy artillery fire to the north and west of Der Schlachthügel (a.k.a. Ruby Hill). Our observers have directed mortar fire on top of the hill itself. Few casualties.

We got rid of the communist sympathizers on the center hill, they left a looooong smoke trail before disappearing. :)

Got StuG?

Post #: 29
- 5/26/2002 8:13:56 PM   
Scharfschütze

Lucashenko leaned back in his chair.
"Seems we have beaten the courage out of the fascists. They are holding back again."

He reached for his pipe and began stuffing it.

"We have time. The enemy artillery is seriously outgunned by our mighty 152mm guns, and their mortars seem to be running out of ammunition. We hold most of the dominating positions.
If they continue to try trench warfare, we´ll blast them back all the way to Berlin. If they attack, they will be destroyed right here."

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Belisarius vs. Scharfschütze - Steel Dawn Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI