Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 5/26/2002 10:03:39 PM   
Belisarius

The Kamfgruppe is regrouping to secure the lines, when a familiar shriek fills the air - katyushas again! :mad:

More artillery fire down south, otherwise quiet. Snipers are everywhere apparently. Guys, guys - this is the countryside, not Stalingrad! Turn right at the crossroads, follow the road south! :p

Got StuG?

(in reply to Scharfschütze)
Post #: 31
Yawn! - 5/26/2002 10:45:14 PM   
Scharfschütze

Yeah, Stalin´s organs play their tune of doom again! :D

The german medium artillery was popping more smoke to the north. Preparations for a coming attack?

Colonel Lucashenko put his pipe down. The snipers were reporting little movement, an occasional infantry squad stumbling out of a shelled area or motorcycles trying to reconnoitre where their Kameraden had met an untimely death.

Nothing to worry about!:D ;) :D

Post #: 32
- 5/27/2002 2:09:56 AM   
Belisarius

What do you mean, "medium artillery"? We ain't got anything heavier :p

Uh.. we're not doing anything until you uncloak yourselves.

Got StuG?

Post #: 33
- 5/27/2002 10:41:50 PM   
Scharfschütze

"Comrade Colonel, the enemy is begging us to stop the bombardment. I think we have broken their fighting spirit" the radio operator beamed.
(Sorry Belisarius, I couldn´t resist:D)

"No way!" Lucashenko barked, "We´ll bomb ´em until that hill has become a valley! Get my the artillery!":mad:

Not much happening otherwise. More of my sniper fire.

The 152mm´s are landing quite good, got a couple of kills with just eight rounds. Whoever is still up there will be soiling his pants by now - after three turns of heavy shelling!

Post #: 34
- 5/28/2002 8:33:40 PM   
Belisarius

More 152s again. *boom boom boom*

The once-seen enemy has cloaked again.

We discovered commie villagers again! They must not be able to report back to the enemy lines! The peasant band was "neutralized" accordingly.

Small redeployments along the lines, we wait for the enemy to pop his ugly face into our sights... :p

Got StuG?

Post #: 35
Get ´em, boys! - 5/28/2002 9:25:35 PM   
Scharfschütze

We have discovered a german FJ squad that escaped the inferno at the start of the battle. Apparantly it had been trying to get back to friendly lines, but ran into several heavy MG´s. They are history.:D

The enemy has again shelled positions on the northern front with medium artillery, this time with HE. This is an interesting development, since an extensive smoke screen had been laid previously. The 105mm´s are targetting a railroad bridge leading across the eastern creek, where the northern objective (in soviet hands since eons!) lies.

The Colonel has ordered heightened vigilance.
:cool:

Shelling of the central hell, er hill, continues, bagging another german squad. :p

Post #: 36
- 5/29/2002 9:30:51 PM   
Belisarius

My my, you're mighty certain that only a single FJ squad escaped the initial carnage, aren't you? Tip: check your back area :p

Turn will be coming soon, I'm waiting while the Gods contemplate my fate... as I am really at a loss what way to go :rolleyes:

Got StuG?

Post #: 37
This is it: Do or die - 5/29/2002 11:04:33 PM   
Belisarius

Auugh the suspense!

The FJ platoon are running into serious trouble on the hill. Dug-in 12.7mm MG's are not to be taken easily. More casualites, but they are shaken at least.

The Ivans have excellent fields of fire covering the central and north area, including the center hill held by my forces despite 4-5 turns of 152mm shelling. Our smoke curtains seem to have little effect on their ability to target our troops. With this experience, Oberleutnant Telner concluded that the "easiest" way to go is once again over "Ruby Hill". We have little knowledge of what troops are dug-in up there, except the occasional recon teams that stumble out of the smoke-covered slopes. They are usually ripped into shreds by our MGs. Between Ruby Hill and our cratered center hill, there's a passage east, towards Red Army lines. In these woods we know many perils lurk, amongst them stolen Wolverines, snipers, 85mm AT guns, recon teams and who knows what else?

Units have made it unscathed to the base of Ruby Hill. A few were shot at by recon teams and even a T-34 in a hull-down position. :eek: Panzers and StuGs are covering their advance, but it's hard to make out anything from the fires and dense, black smoke that shrouds the hill. Hopefully the infantry will survive the next turn and be able to tell what horrors guard the Hilltop.

As he stood in his panzer, Telner suddenly felt a brief warm feeling on the left of his face;
Far far away in the east, beyond the Ivans, beyond the Urals, the sky is turning a pale blue-gray. The war-torn plains shimmers like silver as the first golden rays of sunlight reflects in millions of small droplets of dew. The Sun rises to greet us on the new day. Will we stand victorious when the Sun has passed us?

Got StuG?

Post #: 38
Counterattack! - 5/30/2002 12:09:47 AM   
Scharfschütze

Colonel Lucashenko felt uneasy.

More and more german paratroopers were emerging from the forest east of Emerald Hill, the position from where he had staged his attack on the german line. The 12,7mm MG´s on the hillcrest had quickly turned to fire on the german assailants, but they seemed to be attacking at least in platoon strength.
Half of them were now corpses, but the rest was pressing on. One of his MG´s had lost several loaders, but the man at the gun kept firing.

The germans had tried to bring in two Panzers in support south of Ruby Hill, and one of them was had already burst into flames after the first hit from a cleverly concealed ATG had disabled the engine and the second penetrated the turret, exploding the ammunition. Its collegue stopped at once and shelled the distand MG´s on emerald hill with 75mm HE.

Sergej, his aide at the radio, suddenly turned to Lucashenko:
"Comrade Colonel, Lt. Zhdanov reports enemy halftracks advancing towards Ruby Hill from the northwest, covered by numerous tanks and assault guns! Motorcycles have reached the base of ruby hill! The PTRD´s have taken out one transport and hit another, but they keep coming. The enemy tanks make it impossible to bring our M10´s in for a counterattack. No losses reported!"

Colonel Lucashenko swore heavily:
"**********! *******!!!!":mad: :eek: :mad:

The germans had thrown the dice once more, and the situation was fluid. What could be done?

Thick smoke was billowing from Ruby Hill, underlit by the reddish fire his flame tanks had started when they had driven the fascists from the mound.

A light wind had risen, driving the the acrid smoke to the southeast. Beyond the wall of smoke and fire, the clank of steel tracks could be heard...
;)

Post #: 39
- 5/30/2002 5:44:47 PM   
Belisarius

Despite heavy losses and taking fire from four directions, the Fallschirmsjägers managed to ascend to the hilltop. Objective completed: We now know what lurk on the eastern slope of Ruby Hill; A crapload of Wolverines! We have also spotted several more Wolverines in the forest northeast of Ruby Hill.

That OT-34 HAS GOT TO GO! :mad: It does an excellent job of blocking LOS and scaring my units away. The commies occupying Ruby Hill is JUST outside my LOS. Ivan has also started laying down smokescreens to the west and north of the hill, to block sight from my StuGs and Panthers. Well, that can serve us both ways. :)

We have mopped up a few scout teams and a sniper, but lost another 251. (btw, why does his low-morale troops OP-fire like crazy, while my troops can't even spell it?...:( )

Note to self: NEVER EVER go into battle without heavy artillery! :mad: Scharf's artillery is pounding me senseless where it hits, while I can't even direct fire onto the Hill, which is the ONLY way to get to the tanks on top! ALL FO's without radio contact! Did Hasbro win the radio supply contract or what?

This is going wrong in so many ways.

Got StuG?

Post #: 40
Urrah! - 5/30/2002 6:49:58 PM   
Scharfschütze

The Fallschirmjäger came over the hillcrest, guns blazing. The lone heavy MG gunner rattled of a hail of bullets, but could not stop the attackers.

On Ruby Hill, less then a kilometer across the valley, the Wolverines turned their turrets. A steady stream of 76mm grenades and .50 cal tore into the Fallschirmjäger, who dove for the rift that split Emerald Hill to take cover. They found another 12,7mm MG waiting, sealing their fate.

Another squad had tangled with AT teams on the northern side of the hill, where yet another HMG and a 85mm Flak gun had a clear field of fire on them. The AT teams finished them with their pistols.

"This is Lt. Zhdanov on Ruby Hill. The enemy infantry attacking our position has weathered the 50mm mortar fire and has destroyed a scout party. Direct assault is not recommended. Awaiting orders"

Colonel Lucashenko evaluated the situation. His artillery had put up a smoke screen several hundred meters long to northwest of Ruby Hill, effectively obscuring the enemy tanks lying in overwatch. It was time to strike!

"This is Lucashenko. The enemy is overextended. We will attack now! Codeword Obsidian! All units, Obsidian is ordered! Attack! For Stalin and the Motherland! Crush the fascist invaders!":mad:

From the forest northeast of Ruby Hill, tanks moved forward, firing at the german infantry and halftracks on the base of the hill. Without the Panthers and Stugs covering them, they were easy targets for the Wolverines. Alongside the TD´s, halftracks were racing towards Obsidian - the hill to the north of Ruby Hill with the central objective below its eastern slope. One of the M5´s burst into flames after taking an 88mm hit, but others kept pushing on, Heavy MG fire reached out for the AT gun, killing even more of its dwindling crew. Behind its position, 152mm shells were falling on the western slope.

The pendulum was in full swing, and the outcome of the battle would be decided here.:rolleyes:

Post #: 41
This is ridiculous! - 5/31/2002 2:19:09 AM   
Belisarius

I've had it! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I decided to quit this, I can't do anything.

Panther moves, recieves 5 conscutive hits from a Wolverine, while not striking home even once! :mad:

Yes, overwatch and stuff plays in, but a Panther D has Fire control/range finder of 6/6 while a Wolverine has 4/3. Does that mean anything?

StuG moves, *kbam* dead

StuG moves *kbam* dead

StuG moves *kbam* dead

I'm in no mood to fight Wolverines with 100% hit accuracy while not having infantry nor artillery nor (accurate) panzers to fight with.

Wolverine fires from 16 hexes away into infantry IN smoke. Kills many. Wolverine fires at stationary infantry a bit closer - FIVE dead, then TWO in the next salvo. Bah.

Got StuG?

Post #: 42
Too bad! - 5/31/2002 2:37:14 AM   
Scharfschütze

You know, Belisarius, the reason why the Wolverines turned into your Nemesis? They didn´t move very far, just two, three or four hexes. That way, and with a targeting of 2, they opfire nicely.

The devastating efficiency of its .50 AAMG was quite a discovery. I had this "5 casualties" report twice, not something I had been counting upon!

The gun has an excellent PEN and good accuracy, as your Stugs can testify.

Lend-lease crap indeed!:D

Post #: 43
- 5/31/2002 2:47:55 AM   
Belisarius

Yeah, they got me by surprise. With that thin an armor I thought I could get them soon, but they kept destroying everything. :( Well, except the Panthers, but that was just a matter of time I'm sure.

I must admit I'm impressed by your initial assault on Ruby Hill. Those OTs took me out completely. One would think you'd have a rougher time, but you swept me off in 2-3 turns.

You were also helped ALOT by being able to toast all my movers. I had two operational 88's just sitting there! Otherwise this was a frustrating game of stumbling blindly over clear wide open field. Did you have as much problems with spotting as I had? Even FO's, scouts, snipers couldn't pick anything out despite the visibility. :(

The center hill was held by the 88 and a single platoon all through the game, so you could have assaulted it any time...

I HATE Wolverines :mad:

Got StuG?

Post #: 44
German OOB - 5/31/2002 2:56:34 AM   
Belisarius

1 HQ

2 Rifle companies + 3 snipers

6 Recon teams

2 FOs

1 Motorcycle company

2 Panther D platoons (Oberlt. Telner's boys :D)

2 PzIVg platoons (worth crap, apparently)

1 88 AT platoon

1 Prime mover platoon (SdKfz 11)

3 FJ platoons
}-- loaded into 8 JU-52. One platoon survived..
1 MMG platoon

2 Hvy mortar companies (120mm)

1 Ammo truck sect. (2 trucks)

1 105mm OB battery

Reinforcements:

2 StuK platoons

1 StuH platoon

2 Mech. Rifle companies

Losses were overall in a 5:1 ratio, in Scharf's favour...

As said, I should have bought heavy arty instead of the tubes. Or smaller tubes - I really missed not having 82s around. :)

I should also have taken the armor on top of Ruby Hill in the first wave, not waiting for the infantry to establish positions...

Got StuG?

Post #: 45
My stuff... - 5/31/2002 3:38:08 AM   
Scharfschütze

I was rather aware of your units, courtesy of my partisans. I knew pretty much throughout the game the exact location of your tank forces. Only in the intitial phas of my attack on Ruby Hill my troops overlooked a recon team and an AT team, the one that caught the HT.

Maybe I could have assaulted the central hill (Obsidian) anytime, but holding it required destroying your Panthers. Therefore I delayed my assault when you didn´t burn them in my ambushes and was preparing an all-out attack. The M10´s that caught your Stugs were only recently arrived from the northern front, were they were my reserve. Also my Katyushas were still reloading... :rolleyes:

My forces:

SO HQ

2 FO´s

2 platoons of M10 Wolverines (10 tanks)

2 platoons of OT-34 flame tanks (6 tanks)

2 Guard infantry companies with 12,7mm MG´s and Mol-P AT teams

2 AT companies of 1 12,7mm MG HQ and 6 Mol-P teams and 3 PTRD teams each

3 sections of 12,7mm MG´s (love ´em):D

2 sections of M5 HT´s (4)

4 sections of 85mm AA guns (yes, they were meant for an AT role)

3 sections of 57mm ATG´s

3 Snipers

4 Recon á 3x 4-men patrols

1 Katyusha BM-13 platoon (4)

1 152mm Btn

3 SU-76 SPA platoons

2 Ammo Dumps

Reinforcements:

4 more recon patrols

1 HT section

1 Katyusha BM-13 platoon

1 SU-76 SPA platoon

Colonel Lucashenko leaned back in his chair. The Germans were withdrawing, leaving his troops in possession of the battlefield. The destruction of their assault guns had convinced them that victory was not possible here. They had paid a high price here today.

Casualties:

German/Soviet

Men:505/118
Arty:7/0
Soft:1/0
APC:7/2
AFV:8/0

All in all, very light losses for me. I´ll be chided by my superiors for being to mild on my men:rolleyes:

Post #: 46
New pic! - 5/31/2002 4:56:15 AM   
Scharfschütze

I did another hypersnap of the area where the fiercest fighting raged with the units in their final postions, and have added some text to make things more clear. Enjoy!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 47
- 5/31/2002 2:16:16 PM   
Belisarius

Good pic!

Needless to say, those crater holes are all his doing :rolleyes:

The only good approach I had to the M10's on the east side on Ruby Hill was to take the trip round Obsidian Hill to bear directly from the north east - and thus exposing my rear/flank of the tanks to his CLOAKED AT's sitting on a ridge to the right. Bummer.

I wonder what had happened if I hadn't dropped the FJs on top of the SU-76 and OT-34 park... :p

Got StuG?

Post #: 48
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI