Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Counters

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Counters Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Counters - 7/5/2009 9:38:06 AM   
MajorDude

quote:

That's why I wanted Steve to take this one, but he says he can't.
Well, a forum admin that can't change his avatar ? How bizarre !

Make him leader of Antartica and it will be cool...

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 121
RE: Counters - 7/5/2009 10:58:40 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur
please .... the copenhagen militz

Here is it.
Note : No , this is not the weakest corps sized unit of the game. There also are Russians.

As usual, the recommendation is :
Please remember to save it as a GIF file, otherwise it will loose a lot of quality by saving it as a JPG, as well as the rounded corners.
If you can't do that, send me an email and I'll send you the file as an attachment.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to michaelbaldur)
Post #: 122
RE: Counters - 7/5/2009 1:20:36 PM   
composer99

The Saudi cavalry corps has but 1 combat factor, as do several territorials.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 123
RE: Counters - 7/5/2009 1:46:59 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur
please .... the copenhagen militz

Here is it.
Note : No , this is not the weakest corps sized unit of the game. There also are Russians.

Please remember to save it as a GIF file, otherwise it will loose a lot of quality by saving it as a JPG, as well as the rounded corners.
If you can't do that, send me an email and I'll send you the file as an attachment.

There are several Major powers with Militia as weak. Germany has a 2-2 Militia (Bremen) as do Italy in the Venice mil. France has as 2-3 Mil in Bordeaux. Nat. China has the 2-2 Kunming Mil.
And some more minors. Liberia has a 2-2 Militia, and Siam, Mexico, Iraq...are more countries that has Mil with the combat strength of 2 and there are some cavalty with the strength of 2 or even 1.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 124
RE: Counters - 7/5/2009 1:56:19 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

The Saudi cavalry corps has but 1 combat factor, as do several territorials.

Here are the Camel Warriors.
Camels are fast.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 125
RE: Counters - 7/5/2009 1:58:28 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm
There are several Major powers with Militia as weak. Germany has a 2-2 Militia (Bremen) as do Italy in the Venice mil. France has as 2-3 Mil in Bordeaux. Nat. China has the 2-2 Kunming Mil.
And some more minors. Liberia has a 2-2 Militia, and Siam, Mexico, Iraq...are more countries that has Mil with the combat strength of 2 and there are some cavalty with the strength of 2 or even 1.

I had this one in mind as the weakest.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 126
RE: Counters - 7/6/2009 1:09:14 AM   
Jagdtiger14

The Soviet 2-1 GAR may be the weakest, but it has a VERY significant role for USSR. The Copenhagen MIL never comes into play.
C

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I had this one in mind as the weakest.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 127
RE: Counters - 7/6/2009 7:16:42 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14
The Soviet 2-1 GAR may be the weakest, but it has a VERY significant role for USSR. The Copenhagen MIL never comes into play.

Hu ? Which VERY significant role ?
I usually scrap it.

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 128
RE: Counters - 7/6/2009 7:24:22 PM   
composer99

I like using it to garrison Persia or Iraq vs. partisans or to hold some spot on the line in Karelia.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 129
RE: Counters - 7/6/2009 7:28:11 PM   
Froonp

quote:

I like using it to garrison Persia or Iraq vs. partisans or to hold some spot on the line in Karelia.

Yes, but the problem, at least to me, is that I do not want to spend 2 BP to have this unit. I prefer to have even a (3-1).

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 130
RE: Counters - 7/6/2009 7:42:18 PM   
micheljq

quote:

quote:

I usually scrap it.

Their role is to die on the first days of Barbarossa. I usually put it on garrison in Brest-Litovsk with "die where you stand" orders.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 131
RE: Counters - 7/6/2009 9:14:01 PM   
Beryl

Or it can defend Moscow in the last impulse of ND/41 in Blizzard against 3 german armored corps and destroy all of them :-D.
IMHO, in 41 and 42 russia has never enough land units. This is a corps with zoc, 1 garisson point, which can relieve a better unit in Siberia or stack with an Art behind the front, preventing a breakthrough/overrun...

Beryl

"Nicht kleckern, klotzen!" - Guderian

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 132
RE: Counters - 7/7/2009 12:21:51 AM   
Jagdtiger14

There is one spot where it serves a huge purpose...and it sits there for the whole game. It has become automatic in all of our WiF games since returning from WiFcon one year against one of the Canadian teams. Does Paul Rae frequent MWiF? So far all of you have guessed wrongly. Well worth the 2 BP's!
C

quote:

quote:

I usually scrap it.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 133
RE: Counters - 7/7/2009 12:56:41 AM   
Froonp

quote:

There is one spot where it serves a huge purpose...and it sits there for the whole game. It has become automatic in all of our WiF games since returning from WiFcon one year against one of the Canadian teams. Does Paul Rae frequent MWiF? So far all of you have guessed wrongly. Well worth the 2 BP's!

Now you must talk !
Where is this ???

Post #: 134
RE: Counters - 7/7/2009 1:18:55 AM   
lomyrin

Tehran perhaps

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 135
RE: Counters - 7/7/2009 1:53:46 AM   
Jagdtiger14

You'll have to waterboard me;-) What if I face you in a MWiF game? Persia/Tehran is a good guess...that area deserves several crappy ant-partizan units...or MIL from cities the Germans have taken. I'll reveal it if someone quesses it correctly, or if Paul Rae, or Steve Balk want to reveal it;-) I'll give a hint: not in USSR home nation territory, or Siberia.
C

quote:

quote:

Now you must talk !
Where is this ???

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 136
RE: Counters - 7/7/2009 2:28:02 PM   
composer99

Is it Mongolia?

~ Composer99

Post #: 137
RE: Counters - 7/7/2009 3:48:36 PM   
Jagdtiger14

Are you...composer99, Paul Rae? Yes, its Ulan-Bator. Before many of you out there disagree, think about it from the Japanese offensive standpoint: Mongolia has no partizan value. If Japan conquers Mongolia, then they take control of all the Mongolian hexes. Take the Jap CAV div and the 1-5 MOT div, maybe even the 1-4 MOT div along with 2-3 ATR's...these units can move across Mongolia to the Russian borders very quickly threatening Irkutsk possibly, cutting rail lines to Manchuria, or even threatening the resources and railed factories west of Mongolia. From the Soviet defensive standpoint during a '41 Barb there are never enough units, especially when at war with both Germany and Japan...imagine under that scenario having to defend rail lines all the way from Manchuria to Kuznetsk...if you did'nt have enough units before, now you are even more streched. This nightmare can be avoided if you build the 2-1 GAR in Irkutsk early, then move it one hex at a time until its in Ulan-Bator. That frees up the Mongolian CAV to do what it does best in Manchuria. The 2-1 stays in Ulan-Bator the whole game. Not bad duty for those guys if you are in Stalin's army;-)
C

quote:

Is it Mongolia?

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 138
RE: Counters - 7/7/2009 8:27:20 PM   
composer99

quote:

Are you...composer99, Paul Rae?

'Fraid not (you might notice my actual name in my signature block ). Paul & Steve Balk whupped me but good at last year's Con, though.

I am (fortunately) not at their table this year, so as long as I can avoid a similar fate I'll be happy.

I have seen Japan advance into Mongolia to seize Ulan-Bator and stretch the Russian lines (an over-committed Pacific Russian Army with Barb '41 on the way... ouch!) but the use of divs and air transports is innovative. Note to self for next time I play Japan...

~ Composer99

Post #: 139
RE: Counters - 7/8/2009 5:35:13 PM   
sajbalk

Chris --

With whom are you playing this year?

Japan can use its ATR and PARA for many disruptive things. Always look to paradrop on the last CC city.

Since the WI/FL connection again refuse to come to WiFCon, our game is:

Steve Balk GER
Bill Duncan JAP/IT
Paul Rae USSR/CH
Tom Beadle CW
Ken Clark USA/FR

We have offered to let Paul play with the optional USSR CBV for Cairo, Delhi, Anchorage, and Peking, but he has refused. ;)

Steve Balk
Iowa, USA

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 140
RE: Counters - 7/8/2009 6:38:28 PM   
composer99

Not sure, guess I better check with the WiFCon team.

~ Composer99

(in reply to sajbalk)
Post #: 141
RE: Counters - 7/8/2009 11:06:38 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Are you...composer99, Paul Rae? Yes, its Ulan-Bator. Before many of you out there disagree, think about it from the Japanese offensive standpoint: Mongolia has no partizan value. If Japan conquers Mongolia, then they take control of all the Mongolian hexes. Take the Jap CAV div and the 1-5 MOT div, maybe even the 1-4 MOT div along with 2-3 ATR's...these units can move across Mongolia to the Russian borders very quickly threatening Irkutsk possibly, cutting rail lines to Manchuria, or even threatening the resources and railed factories west of Mongolia. From the Soviet defensive standpoint during a '41 Barb there are never enough units, especially when at war with both Germany and Japan...imagine under that scenario having to defend rail lines all the way from Manchuria to Kuznetsk...if you did'nt have enough units before, now you are even more streched. This nightmare can be avoided if you build the 2-1 GAR in Irkutsk early, then move it one hex at a time until its in Ulan-Bator. That frees up the Mongolian CAV to do what it does best in Manchuria. The 2-1 stays in Ulan-Bator the whole game. Not bad duty for those guys if you are in Stalin's army;-)
C

quote:

Is it Mongolia?

I'm happy to have learnt a new trick . Thank you guys !

Post #: 142
RE: Counters - 7/9/2009 3:12:36 AM   
Jagdtiger14

Sorry Steve. Rich has a young kid, but he'll make it back there again. As for me, I'm trying to lobby one other of our group to go at some point...he's a great player and we did very well at Euro WiFcon, so together with you we'll have a great team!

By the way...Balk and Duncan...the two of you should be a winning combination. I hope you can send us reports from time to time.
C

quote:

ORIGINAL: sajbalk

Since the WI/FL connection again refuse to come to WiFCon, our game is:

Steve Balk GER
Bill Duncan JAP/IT

(in reply to sajbalk)
Post #: 143
RE: Counters - 7/9/2009 3:19:53 AM   
Jagdtiger14

Be careful. The trick(s)/solutions for both sides do have their inoculations...we have gamed it out several times in our campaigns. Thats what makes WiF such a great game...there are always new twists and there is always an answer to any problem.
C

quote:

The 2-1 stays in Ulan-Bator the whole game. Not bad duty for those guys if you are in Stalin's army;-)
C

quote:

Is it Mongolia?

I'm happy to have learnt a new trick . Thank you guys !

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 144
RE: Counters - 8/3/2009 8:46:53 PM   
Froonp

Here is one for SnakeVargas.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 145
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Counters Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI