Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Maps

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Maps Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Maps - 5/21/2009 7:08:11 PM   
bo

Hey Samurai sorry 2g of ram, I used to cringe when Clinton said I feel your pain! I downloaded both vassal and zuntzu for no other reason then to look at the maps from the WIF game gaming boards. I will probably never use them, I am hoping that my computer is fast enough to redraw the maps when the zoom changes so as not to be annoying, we will see. My video drivers are up to date because I play COD2 on line quite a bit, and I am hoping that MWIF gets me away from these 10 yr olds that kick my butt all the time. When you get a chance try the zoom on vassal and let me know how you feel about it. Also try the zoom on zuntzu it is awsome. Thanks for your comments Samurai deeply appreciated.

Willy

(in reply to Greywolf)
Post #: 31
RE: Maps - 5/21/2009 7:41:25 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo

Hey Samurai sorry 2g of ram, I used to cringe when Clinton said I feel your pain! I downloaded both vassal and zuntzu for no other reason then to look at the maps from the WIF game gaming boards. I will probably never use them, I am hoping that my computer is fast enough to redraw the maps when the zoom changes so as not to be annoying, we will see. My video drivers are up to date because I play COD2 on line quite a bit, and I am hoping that MWIF gets me away from these 10 yr olds that kick my butt all the time. When you get a chance try the zoom on vassal and let me know how you feel about it. Also try the zoom on zuntzu it is awsome. Thanks for your comments Samurai deeply appreciated.

Willy

If you just want to look at the maps, like I do myself very often, try Cyberboard, fast and not memory hungry.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 32
RE: Maps - 5/22/2009 4:46:57 AM   
SamuraiProgrmmr

bo,

I just checked Vassal 3.1.5 with the World In flames Module 3.0.

Looking at the European map.

From default zoom, I zoomed in and it was very quick.  I would say less than a second. I zoomed in all of the way.  I then zoomed all of the way out.  I then scrolled the map to the center of Europe.  At that point, I could see the different segments of the map loading one by one, but the entire process took less than a second.  I then zoomed in as many steps as I could.  Again, I could see a small delay while the map zoomed in.

After that I repeatedly zoomed out as far as I could and zoomed in as far as I could.  As long as I was looking at a portion of the map I had already looked at, the zooming was all but instantaneous.  At maximum zoom in, scrolling the map to other parts I had not viewed yet, I could tell that the new parts were loading in but even still it was nearly instantaneous.

Zooming out to the most extreme zoom for an area I had not seen took at most 1 second.  After it had loaded, again, the redraws were almost instantaneous.

My computer's specs....

Vista Home Premium
Intel Core 2 6320 @ 1.86GHz
2GB RAM
32 bit operating system

Video card - NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS - Dedicated memory 256MB, shared memory 766MB

On the other hand, using the same module with Vassal 3.0, I was getting 7 to 10 second waits when loading new portions of the map.  Once they were loaded, it responded well.

I hope this is helpful.

Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 33
RE: Maps - 5/22/2009 8:17:19 AM   
paulderynck

Willy, don't forget, it's not just Vassal that may be running on your machine, there might be other CPU hogs there vying for cycles.

Paul

(in reply to SamuraiProgrmmr)
Post #: 34
RE: Maps - 5/22/2009 8:26:35 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: SamuraiProgrammer

bo,

World in Flames module in its latest version is 6.21.
Where did you found this version 3.0 ?

Unless it is not the Final Edition ?

(in reply to SamuraiProgrmmr)
Post #: 35
RE: Maps - 5/22/2009 6:08:54 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: SamuraiProgrammer

bo,

World in Flames module in its latest version is 6.21.
Where did you found this version 3.0 ?

Unless it is not the Final Edition ?

Hi Patrice love your web site outstanding! I am using 6.21 not 3.0 matbe a slight difference I dont know, Samurai I stand corrected when zooming in one area, very quick, but I was concerned when I started moving around the map each time I moved the slide bar to a new section it had to redraw the map which took a few seconds, nothing dire in this but Zuntzu is way quicker, but Zuntzu took several minutes to load their map in the begining, but their zoom is just like Google Earth very fast.

Willy

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 36
RE: Maps - 5/22/2009 6:11:37 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Willy, don't forget, it's not just Vassal that may be running on your machine, there might be other CPU hogs there vying for cycles.

Hi Paulderynck when I am running Vassal to my knowledge I am not running anything else, what else may be using the cpu cycles?

Willy

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 37
RE: Maps - 5/22/2009 6:17:21 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

quote:

Willy

If you just want to look at the maps, like I do myself very often, try Cyberboard, fast and not memory hungry.

Hi Mike I am having trouble opening Cyberboard its in a winzip mode and I dont have winzip anymore is there another way to open it? [ran out of the frebbie] Zuntzu and Vassal were easy to open.

Willy

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 38
RE: Maps - 5/22/2009 7:32:13 PM   
micheljq

Don't have Winzip? You must be using an operating system prior to Windows XP, you can download and install Winzip from Tucows.net or Download.com it's free.

Good luck.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 39
RE: Maps - 5/23/2009 12:02:04 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Hi Paulderynck when I am running Vassal to my knowledge I am not running anything else, what else may be using the cpu cycles?

Willy

No nothing else - just a suggestion that maybe other programs were running as well.

As a beta tester for MWIF, I can tell you the zoom for MWIF is very quick on my machine, and it has only 1 Gig RAM, an old video card and an older CPU.

Paul

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Maps Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI