Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Tora, Tora, Tora!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/16/2009 11:44:17 PM   
Terminus

Not in the initial release. Post-release is still up in the air.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 151
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 12:43:59 AM   
Local Yokel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Local Yokel

Well, in the game as it exists you can only give a Fast Transport TF orders to evacuate. Only a limited range of ship types can go into such a TF. In AE, can you put whatever ships you like into this kind of TF? If not, your options may be unduly limited.

AE has added Amphibious TF, which can do evacuations.

Thanks, Don.

quote:

There are two types of troop transport TFs in AE - regular transport and amphibious.

Amphibious - which Yammy is showing - is meant to load combat-ready troops in combat mode and use them to invade an enemy base. Combat mode is less efficient than "regular" load and also requires the TFs load a miniumum 3-days supply for the troops (even if you select Load Troops Only). Amphibious TFs can also perform other missions that you would expect - they can unload at non-port or poor-port locations better than regular transports** and they do a better job of evacuations - includding loading troops from non-port hexes.

** Note that the ability of Amphibious TFs to unload a small ports is primarily based on amphibious capability of the ships in the TF, not the TF mission. APAs, with lots of embarked landing craft, will greatly speed up unloading at the dinky little port that Yammy always wants to use. A civilian freighter not so much.

You'll get used to all this. As mentioned somewhere up in the thread, loading and unloading is much more realistic in AE. That means it's harder, slower, and you have to do more planning. You especially have to make sure you are using the right ships for the right task.

Much better! Management/preservation of your precious attack transports becomes critically important.

quote:

Japan does get a few interesting amphibious ships - the Army landing ships. Classed as LSD, with Shinshu Maru available on the first day.

Excellent; glad Shinshu Maru has received has received the special treatment she deserves as a groundbreaking design.

This is not just going to be a learning cliff - more like an ascent of El Capitan on prusik loops.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 152
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 12:52:36 AM   
Local Yokel

Another question, if I may.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

I send them to Bangkok rather than northern Malaya for several reasons.
1) They unload faster and out of harms way. Bangkok is a level 4 port and thus can handle 48,000 tons of shipping docked at any given time, so when the ships arrive I form 2 TFs. The first is docked and unloading. The 2nd is anchored (and subject to sub attack) so I put all my ASW ships in this TF. This one will unload, but much slower. When a ship in the docked TF is unloaded, I split it from the TF and disband it and add more to the docked TF until they are all unloaded. When I have enough disbanded in port to do something else with, I will form a TF and head out to points unknown, again using waypoints to take me where I want to go.

As the game stands, TF's are immune from submarine attack in level 3 ports and above. I can understand this not applying to midget submarine attacks, where penetration of a defended harbour was the essence of the exercise. But in AE do all submarines get to attack TF's in port? Is there no port level that confers immunity from the 'base squatters'?

(in reply to Local Yokel)
Post #: 153
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 2:10:14 AM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Local Yokel

Another question, if I may.

quote:

I send them to Bangkok rather than northern Malaya for several reasons.
1) They unload faster and out of harms way. Bangkok is a level 4 port and thus can handle 48,000 tons of shipping docked at any given time, so when the ships arrive I form 2 TFs. The first is docked and unloading. The 2nd is anchored (and subject to sub attack) so I put all my ASW ships in this TF. This one will unload, but much slower. When a ship in the docked TF is unloaded, I split it from the TF and disband it and add more to the docked TF until they are all unloaded. When I have enough disbanded in port to do something else with, I will form a TF and head out to points unknown, again using waypoints to take me where I want to go.

As the game stands, TF's are immune from submarine attack in level 3 ports and above. I can understand this not applying to midget submarine attacks, where penetration of a defended harbour was the essence of the exercise. But in AE do all submarines get to attack TF's in port? Is there no port level that confers immunity from the 'base squatters'?

Docked and disbanded are 2 different things. Minis hit the disbanded ships (I think anyways, I have never seen them attack the TFs at Pearl). I dont think they would attack a docked TF. So (as far as I have seen) docked TFs are immune to sub attacks, period, regardless of port size. If Im wrong, Im sure Don will correct me

Post #: 154
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 3:05:58 AM   
rroberson

Whoa! 24 hours for the first turn.  Hmm maybe this isn't for me after all.  I like to micro manage as much as the next guy.  But i'd like a shot at finishing a game as well.  Are you changing all unit dispostiions?  Or is there a Historical scenario that plays out the first turn as it happened?

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 155
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 4:00:51 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: rroberson

Whoa! 24 hours for the first turn.  Hmm maybe this isn't for me after all.  I like to micro manage as much as the next guy.  But i'd like a shot at finishing a game as well.  Are you changing all unit dispostiions?  Or is there a Historical scenario that plays out the first turn as it happened?

You haven't played WITP? It depends on how much you want to adjust the first turn. It seems most people want to dedicate that first turn to knocking out most of the adjustments at once, and not space it out, though naturally some things such as changing factories may be waited on till a following turn. I think it's everyone's guess, that things are generally easier to handle then because at that point there's nothing in your control yet (plus they may want to get control ASAP). If you wait till a later turn, especially to do much with your fleets, you start to wonder if what you're seeing is what you ordered, or if the game set it up that way. With doing it all at once, you know it's all you. The first turn is a fluke basically, though if you're doing a lot of planning, turns afterwards can still be long, they're not even close to that long though.

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 156
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 4:26:08 AM   
rroberson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

quote:

You haven't played WITP? It depends on how much you want to adjust the first turn. It seems most people want to dedicate that first turn to knocking out most of the adjustments at once, and not space it out, though naturally some things such as changing factories may be waited on till a following turn. I think it's everyone's guess, that things are generally easier to handle then because at that point there's nothing in your control yet (plus they may want to get control ASAP). If you wait till a later turn, especially to do much with your fleets, you start to wonder if what you're seeing is what you ordered, or if the game set it up that way. With doing it all at once, you know it's all you. The first turn is a fluke basically, though if you're doing a lot of planning, turns afterwards can still be long, they're not even close to that long though.

Oh I have logged 100s of hours in WITP, ask my poor wife . I usually find myself playing the Japanese side because most PBEMers seem to be Japanese phobic because that first turn is so overwhelming. Anymore with new games I go with the historical start because beyond spending 4 hours doing day one setup it takes care of a 1000 "house" rules to keep evil "gamers" from gaming the allies into submission via the first turn enhancements. Thus my question if there was a "historical" first turn available like vanilla.

The thought of having to spend 24 hours to get that first turn out...ouch...

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 157
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 4:40:05 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

Thus my question if there was a "historical" first turn available like vanilla.

Having only played Japanese in PBEM in stock WITP with "historical start" for the reasons you name I can sympathize - and yes there is a "historical start" option in AE as well.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 158
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 4:59:52 AM   
rroberson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

Thus my question if there was a "historical" first turn available like vanilla.

Having only played Japanese in PBEM in stock WITP with "historical start" for the reasons you name I can sympathize - and yes there is a "historical start" option in AE as well.

Damn glad to hear that...still fully intend to get it then :).

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 159
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 5:30:16 AM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panther Bait

Ummm, wouldn't it stand to reason that in an atypically more devastating naval attack (as stated by the design team this attack was atypical) that flak losses would be lower than usual?  Meaning the damage was worse to the ships because the flak was unusually ineffective?  Or even the opposite, a lucky combination of early hits severely reduced later flak and therefore later waves of attack craft were more effective than usual? 

If the design team knows off hand, what is a typical range of Japanese air losses that you are seeing the PH attacks?

Right, but my point was/is Pearl was a unique event in the war. In game all attacks are treated the same, so the results we see for the Pearl attack will be the same kind of results we will see for all attacks (unless they've added something new to the engine).

So that said, the Pearl attack should probably always be worse than historical when it come to flak losses, as historically it was a total surprise, but the game should treat it as a normal attack if the game can't differentiate the Pearl raid from other attacks that occur in game.

If the average result is what Terminus posted (10-40 shot down out of 300+ attackers), then we can assume all attacks in game will see total surprise levels of losses instead of historical *wartime footing* levels of flak losses, which were much higher than Pearl.

Jim

AN important thing to keep in mind is that there are always limitations in the code. These limitations make it difficult to PRECISELY replicate every Real World result we have to point to and say "See, it should look like this!"

IRL the PH raid benefitted from Surprise. The losses tell the story, 9 lost in the 1st wave, 20 lost to a battered but more than alerted fleet in the 2nd wave. Someone mentioned that the US had lost combat effectiveness after the first wave, likely true, but they still managed to slighty more than double IJN losses in the second wave as compared to the 1st.

In this case the AE Game limitations for the PH attack are thus:

1) We don't simulate a two wave PH attack. That's not to say you won't see the strike won't be divided up between two waves (Or even 3), it means that SURPRISE will be on for the whole turn.

2) Surprise being lost between waves is not simulated. Thus the more brutal retaliation from the US PACFLT will not be replicated and the doubled losses sustained by IJN Airmen will not occur.

Don't let game/code limitations, that result in slightly less or more than historical results, skew your perception or opinion of AE. A game like AE is VERY difficult to massage into a state of being that pleases EVERYONE. There will always be a result somewhere in your upcoming AE match that irritates the $#!t out of you. You'll say, "WTF, that's ****ing impossible...no F-ing way that should happen...I hate this game, who desgined this crap?!"

The other 95% of the result will look good...

< Message edited by TheElf -- 5/17/2009 5:31:28 AM >

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 160
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 5:47:12 AM   
Reg

You've been reading too many Knavey posts........

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 161
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 6:17:11 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

Docked and disbanded are 2 different things. Minis hit the disbanded ships (I think anyways, I have never seen them attack the TFs at Pearl). I dont think they would attack a docked TF. So (as far as I have seen) docked TFs are immune to sub attacks, period, regardless of port size. If Im wrong, Im sure Don will correct me

Docked TFs at Pearl could indeed be attacked. Just aren't any. Later in the war, midgets can try again. Play against the AI and watch for them.

I think that midgets are the only subs that can attack docked TFs. No provision for harbor penetration by full sized boats.

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 162
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 1:21:19 PM   
Erik Rutins

I don't know about the rest of you, but the first time I loaded up WITP to play a full first turn of the grand campaign, I was quite daunted and it took me _hours_ just to look over everything and form a mental picture of what I had. Then I had to start planning... it was easily two days before I had that first turn done, but once I did it I had a much better grasp of WITP. After that, first turns generally took more like 3-4 hours and once I got further into the game, turns were taking me 15-45 minutes depending on what was going on.

Now with AE you will have that same experience, because so much will be new and different in terms of the map and the detailed orders of battle. Expect that your first turn (especially for the Japanese) will take a long time just to wrap your head around things. Try the small scenarios first, try playing against the AI first, etc. Once you get past that first learning "cliff" it will become much easier as it did with WITP and it will take less time.

It is also important to emphasize that with AE, there is more to setup on the first turn also in terms of getting patrol routes set, setting up waypoints and such. But these things save you time in the long run and make it easier to manage certain things than it was in WITP.

Nevertheless, there's a reason why we made WITP a requirement to own AE. We don't want folks who haven't played WITP to jump into AE without any preparation. WITP vets will be fine, given some time to learn the ropes.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 163
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 1:44:36 PM   
Yamato hugger

Got an e-mail from Tree saying his high speed internet was out until monday, so I took the day yesterday and played "Pappa" with my 3 year old grandson. Back at it now. Finally got through all the ground stuff (takes me a little longer than it will take you because Im doing 2 things you wont be: 1) Im explaining to you how to do stuff and 2) Im still checking for things that dont seem or look right and asking those questions on the dev board and sometimes I stop what Im doing in the game until I get an answer. So with that, Im off to production.

The Japanese home island produce somewhere over 15,000 supply a day, so I will try to keep my production changes down below double that (takes 1000 supply to repair 1 point of factories). So in a nutshell what I am saying is I will modify no more than 30 factories.

This is the current factory production:

What I am looking at is the production rate numbers. First off, I will look for planes I no longer need. We are playing with PDUs on in this game, so I know I can live without the Pete as the Jake will be my standard shipboard scout. I am producing 1 Jake a day (27/30ths actually) and this should be good enough between what I have in the pool already and the ones I can strip from land based squadrons. The land based groups will also eventually be fitted with Jakes, but I can live with Alfs and even Daves in some places for now.

The Nate I wont need of course, but heres the deal on that. There is a setting when you start the game called "realistic R&D" (the default for this is ON). With this on (and we are playing with it on), you cant change R&D factories to existing (ie producing) types and vice versa. So where in CHS I will change my Nates to Tojos, I cant do that here. Likewise, I cant change the Sally to Helens yet either.

Army dive bombers in AE arent "dive bombers". The decision on that was based on them not having dive brakes, so since they are just run of the mill "level bombers" I will be changing the Ann, Mary, Sonia, and Ida to other types (although the Sonia and Ida are the only ones that have factories). Lilys arent really worth keeping, but I need a squadron of Lily-2s to convert a Babs squadron later, so I wont change the Lily factory yet (since it will auto upgrade to -2s in Apr 42). I will however shut the factory off until then so Im not wasting resources producing an inferior aircraft. Note, the Tina and Mavis-L doesnt appear on this list because there are no planes in the pool, and no production (I have filtered this display to only showing those that have planes in the pools).

So this gives me 30 Sonia, 32 Ida, 45 Nate, and 3 Pete to convert to other existing types. Now looking at my "needs", I have:
A6M 56 producing, I want 150
B5N 1 producing, I want 60
D3A 12 Producing, I want 45
G3M 22 producing, I want double that
G4M 25 producing, I want double that

The Oscar-1c I am torn on. I will need an army fighter and God knows the Nate is worthless, but the firepower of the Oscar is near worthless as well. It cant stop a bomber (I will say I have noticed a major difference in the accuracy of bomber attacks that dont face a CAP vs those that do). But the problem is you dont have enough Zero squadrons to spare (the Japs only start with 2 - 45 plane groups that can be broken down into 3 squadrons of 15 each, and an 18 plane group and a 9 plane detachment and both these units go away in early April 42, although you get 2-27 plane groups and a 45 plane group in Apr 42 to offset it). So Im thinking I will have to double this production.

Topsy I will need a lot more Im thinking 60 a month. Same with Dinahs. Mavis production is very low with only 6, but you dont need a lot. Other than current losses, you only get 1 more squadron (of 18 planes) in mid-Apr so these 6 really should be enough for that.

You only have 2 units that can fly Tina or Mavis transports and none of either plane type in production. The Mavis is actually far superior to the Tina in AE. It has almost double the cargo space and 14 hexes more range, not to mention that the Mavis can fly into or out of a base with no airfield as long as its a coastal base. So I will put 20 or so points into Mavis production.

This will account for 9 or 10 of my 30. Next thing to consider is the R&D stuff.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Yamato hugger -- 5/17/2009 1:57:40 PM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 164
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 2:09:07 PM   
Yamato hugger

Side note: The industry list now has all the airplanes grouped together (so you dont have to hunt) and it also shows current and current maximum sizes of those factories:

This is far more better than WitP

Yes, I said "more better"

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 165
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 2:24:07 PM   
dwesolick

Hi Erik,

Since there have been a lot of changes (WitP to AE), and since we apparently still have a bit of a wait until final release, would it be possible to release a bit of the manual early? Not all of it, but perhaps a chapter or even a few pages. Particularly if it covers big changes, such as TF loading/ports, etc...

A "bone" tossed our way would be much appreciated!!

thanks
quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I don't know about the rest of you, but the first time I loaded up WITP to play a full first turn of the grand campaign, I was quite daunted and it took me _hours_ just to look over everything and form a mental picture of what I had. Then I had to start planning... it was easily two days before I had that first turn done, but once I did it I had a much better grasp of WITP. After that, first turns generally took more like 3-4 hours and once I got further into the game, turns were taking me 15-45 minutes depending on what was going on.

Now with AE you will have that same experience, because so much will be new and different in terms of the map and the detailed orders of battle. Expect that your first turn (especially for the Japanese) will take a long time just to wrap your head around things. Try the small scenarios first, try playing against the AI first, etc. Once you get past that first learning "cliff" it will become much easier as it did with WITP and it will take less time.

It is also important to emphasize that with AE, there is more to setup on the first turn also in terms of getting patrol routes set, setting up waypoints and such. But these things save you time in the long run and make it easier to manage certain things than it was in WITP.

Nevertheless, there's a reason why we made WITP a requirement to own AE. We don't want folks who haven't played WITP to jump into AE without any preparation. WITP vets will be fine, given some time to learn the ropes.

Regards,

- Erik

"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 166
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 2:30:20 PM   
IndyShark

Yh, this is really interesting! Thank you for sharing. I'd love to see the same details on the Allied side.

(in reply to dwesolick)
Post #: 167
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 3:10:27 PM   
Local Yokel

Don and YH: thank you for your answers to my query. But... afraid I'm still a bit confused.

If I've followed correctly, having a TF 'docked' now has a significance in AE it doesn't have in the game 'as is', in that it reflects the use by the TF of the port's (limited) cargo handling facilities. In the game 'as is' being docked or undocked seems to make no difference to loading/unloading.

I've always assumed that, in the game 'as is', an undocked TF in a base hex was treated as if under way outside the harbour defences. As such it should be less vulnerable to air attack, but forfeits the immunity to sub attack it would get from being docked in a port size 3 or above. I had also assumed that if the port size was less than 3, TF's were vulnerable to sub attack irrespective of whether they are docked (that's what the manual implies to me).

Given the change in AE, it appears that a ship in a base hex could potentially be in one of four possible states:

1. Disbanded, at anchor

2. In a TF, docked (taking a share of port's cargo handling capacity, and highly vulnerable to air attack)

3. In a TF, undocked but within harbour defences ('at anchor'?) - can load/unload slowly, but immune to sub attack if port is big enough. Air attack vulnerability?

4. In a TF, undocked and outside harbour defences - in effect the same as being at sea.

I don't know whether AE does recognise all of these four possible states, but it looks as though it should because each could have a significant bearing on the ship's vulnerability and/or the drain it imposes on the base's resources.

Sorry if I'm being very dense about this, but would appreciate clarification.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 168
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 3:20:41 PM   
Grotius

quote:

the Japs only start with 2 - 45 plane groups that can be broken down into 3 squadrons of 15 each

I had been under the impression that aircraft would generally be organized into chutai, not larger groups. Is this not the case?

I'm always reluctant to break down air groups in vanilla WITP because of past bad experience splitting and recombining units. E.g., I could use 9 Kates on a CV right now, but I don't know how the engine would react if I split a 27-plane group into three and disbanded one into the CV's Kate group. If AE still features larger air groups, are there any restrictions (e.g., rules, database limits or bugs) on breaking them down and recombining them?

Post #: 169
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 3:27:44 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

quote:

the Japs only start with 2 - 45 plane groups that can be broken down into 3 squadrons of 15 each

I had been under the impression that aircraft would generally be organized into chutai, not larger groups. Is this not the case?

Mixed. Some do, some don't. BTW, for "45 plane groups", read "45 plane MAX groups". The Tainan Ku S-1, for instance, starts with 27+5 A6M2s.

quote:

I'm always reluctant to break down air groups in vanilla WITP because of past bad experience splitting and recombining units. E.g., I could use 9 Kates on a CV right now, but I don't know how the engine would react if I split a 27-plane group into three and disbanded one into the CV's Kate group. If AE still features larger air groups, are there any restrictions (e.g., rules, database limits or bugs) on breaking them down and recombining them?

I never break down air groups myself, so that's for somebody else to answer. Plenty of air groups, like the above-mentioned Tainan Ku, start out pre-broken down, so it can operate more than one plane type (in this case, the Babs).

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 170
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 3:29:38 PM   
Terminus

Another example of what YH is talking about is the Yamada Detachment, which begins the game at Soc Trang, Indochina. It operates the A6M2, the A5M4 and the Babs, broken down into three sub-units.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 171
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 3:37:39 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: dwesolick
Since there have been a lot of changes (WitP to AE), and since we apparently still have a bit of a wait until final release, would it be possible to release a bit of the manual early? Not all of it, but perhaps a chapter or even a few pages. Particularly if it covers big changes, such as TF loading/ports, etc...

Yes, some of it will be released early as part of the promotion, but not most of it. I expect we'll release the first bit in a week or two.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to dwesolick)
Post #: 172
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 3:46:13 PM   
pad152

Aircraft upgrades

Why do we see aircraft upgrading to the same types?

A5M4-Claude_________upgrades to A5M4-Claude?
Ki-15-II Babs_________upgrades to Ki-15-II Babs?

Versus
A6M2 Zero ___________upgrades to A6M2 Zen Baku-rd?

How does AE handle pre-production aircraft (like the Ki-44 Tojo's) that appear before R&D & production is complete?

Does AE handle aircraft downgrades, (airgroup of Ki-43 Oscars arrives but none in pool), will the group be formed with Ki-27 Nates?

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 173
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 4:14:50 PM   
terje439

quote:

Lilys arent really worth keeping, but I need a squadron of Lily-2s to convert a Babs squadron later, so I wont change the Lily factory yet (since it will auto upgrade to -2s in Apr 42).

Does this mean that you still need to convert a certain unit to a certain type of AC to "unlock" that AC type (like the upgrade of the 7th BG in Witp)?
And if so, will these units be listed in the manual?

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 174
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 4:36:33 PM   
ny59giants

YH,

Are there any late war ('44 and beyond) R&D airframes that you would consider changing over to current planes??

Is that something that is even possible??

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 175
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 4:40:05 PM   
fabertong

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

Aircraft upgrades

Why do we see aircraft upgrading to the same types?

A5M4-Claude_________upgrades to A5M4-Claude?
Ki-15-II Babs_________upgrades to Ki-15-II Babs?

Versus
A6M2 Zero ___________upgrades to A6M2 Zen Baku-rd?

How does AE handle pre-production aircraft (like the Ki-44 Tojo's) that appear before R&D & production is complete?

Does AE handle aircraft downgrades, (airgroup of Ki-43 Oscars arrives but none in pool), will the group be formed with Ki-27 Nates?

With the first two.........I think it is because there are no airframes in productions.......so no factories to upgrade............

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 176
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 5:14:15 PM   
sven6345789

question regarding the Kate production numbers;
where do the 72 B5N1 +B5N2 come from, since there is only one in production; is there a historical explanation for that?

< Message edited by sven6345789 -- 5/17/2009 5:15:04 PM >

Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943

(in reply to fabertong)
Post #: 177
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 5:17:19 PM   
IndyShark

The Kate was out of production at the start of the war. The Jill was supposed to replace her. Design problems with the Jill lead to the restart of the Kate production. This would leave the IJN critically short of Kates in 1942.

< Message edited by IndyShark -- 5/17/2009 5:23:12 PM >

(in reply to sven6345789)
Post #: 178
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 5:19:50 PM   
sven6345789

thanks, didn't know that one...

Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943

(in reply to IndyShark)
Post #: 179
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/17/2009 5:20:12 PM   
OldCoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: dwesolick

Yes, some of it will be released early as part of the promotion, but not most of it. I expect we'll release the first bit in a week or two.

So, in a week or so, some of the manual will be released as part of the promotion of ??????????

< Message edited by OldCoot -- 5/17/2009 5:28:27 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI