Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Janissaries Forward!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Janissaries Forward! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 8/20/2009 5:06:13 AM   
06 Maestro

7 '95
Political Report

The known treaties are not that tangled-yet. What is worrisome are possible secret treaties.

Turkey is currently allied to Spain and England. There is also a friendship treaty with Russia. These treaties cover the most pressing concerns of Turkey-as long as those are honored.

Attachment (1)

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 31
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 8/20/2009 5:11:47 AM   
06 Maestro

Included in this report is the proof that the Prussian King is having a hard time accepting the loss of the Bavarian provinces. He still seeks vengeance. His only two agents are ion Egypt attempting to cause an insurrection. Egypt is a rich and well governed province-I doubt those Prussians will succeed. If they do, as sure as the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, Brandenburg will be pillaged by the O.E. Army-insallah.

Attachment (1)

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 32
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 8/20/2009 5:16:49 AM   
06 Maestro

7 '95
1st Army

The first army is the main force on the northern frontier. One other corps of cavalry is located just to the south sheltering in garrison. They can easily join the main body when required.

As you can see there is a wide variance of quality in the respective infantry divisions. New replacements have a moral factor of 4.5. In time, the older units will increase in ability.

Edit: Well, you could have "seen" the difference in moral had I shown that-instead of strength. Anyway-some are are 2.5 and others at 4.5.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 3/24/2011 6:08:10 PM >

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 33
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 8/20/2009 5:19:28 AM   
06 Maestro

2nd Corp, 1st Army

This view gives a better picture of the different quality of the various divisions.

Attachment (1)

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 34
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 8/20/2009 5:27:18 AM   
06 Maestro

7 95
National Economy

During the last year the tax rate was as low as 4%. This was largely done to increase the national moral (NM) (represented by the blue bar). The O.E. currently has the highest national moral of any of the major powers. In fact, it has been the highest for perhaps 2 years. This was achieved by an adequate amount of luxuries and a low tax rate. Also important was avoiding military losses. There has been only 2 small battles against rebels and virtually no foraging losses. In comparison, Prussia is currently at zero (0).

This high NM will become important later during war or due to some little upheaval should it be decided to reduce the feudal level.

Attachment (1)

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 35
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 8/20/2009 5:36:22 AM   
06 Maestro

Production and Stocks

If you compare this report to the one from 1792 you will notice a rather large increase in goods available per month.

Food has increased enough that Turkey has experience population growth nearly every month for the past two years. It is becoming more difficult do to the higher population and supplying the Army.

Production of luxuries has been reduced as it was over consumption-just plain waste. It is likely it will have to be increased again of NM begins to drop-which is a possibility as taxes must go up again-war is likely.

Attachment (1)

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 36
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 8/20/2009 5:46:34 AM   
06 Maestro

7 '95
Production Adjustments

In this crafty little report you can see the effects of the various improvements ordered by the Great Selim the Third.

It is just a coincidence that at this point in time that the increases from the higher NM and that of lower taxes are equal. This is the first time that has occurred-they are based on separate factors. 8% tax and 1000 NM just might be the magic numbers for this to occur.

The top line shows the effects of the added improvements in the various provinces. Due to the need of maintaining high production, there cannot be too many factories or farms undergoing improvement at once. Typically there are no more than 2 farms or two factories being built at the same time. It also takes considerably longer to make such improvements here due to the high feudal level. This is something that needs to be adjusted, but that will be a very unsettling event.

Below the table you will notice the wastage report. 3 years ago the O.E. had a wastage rate of 18%. It is now 4. Next month the last required court will be completed so in October the official wastage level will be ZERO. This involved the construction of no less than 25 courts in 9 provinces. There have been several more added in various locations just to reduce the risks of rebellion. Construction can now more fully concentrate on the military. Most already was dedicated to barracks construction, now that can increase.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 8/21/2009 5:13:59 AM >

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 37
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 8/20/2009 6:02:01 AM   
06 Maestro

7 '95
City Improvements

In this table you can see the scope of investment that has been ongoing. There is never enough money or resources to build everything desired. However, the Sultan is intent on bringing the O.E. into the industrial age. Ironically, the factories must be paid for by the sweat of farmers.

The list shows almost all cities undergoing building. The total is nearly 2/3rds of all of the O.E. There are currently 24 provinces out of a total of 39 being improved. Seldom has it been a higher ratio, but it has.

With the threat of war looming, money needs to be save along with raising taxes.

Attachment (1)

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 38
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 8/20/2009 6:07:30 AM   
06 Maestro

Much of the funding for these improvements have come from some lucrative trade in wool, cotton and textiles.
Turkey has also imported more than just money. The low number of iron factories made it necessary to import iron from abroad-just to maintain building improvements not to mention the few units that have been built which require iron.

Trade has been conducted with France, and more importantly, England. We are not interested with trading with Austria or Prussia until their wicked ways have been amended. Trade with Russia is a possibility, but the only thing they could offer is food-that may be needed someday.

These trades below represent less than half of the total volume.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 9/24/2009 3:04:02 AM >

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 39
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 8/20/2009 6:11:30 AM   
06 Maestro

Karaman
7 '95

Karaman is the most important cotton producing province in the Empire. It does remarkably well even though it is lacking any formal farming organization. This is being corrected now. By February of '96 this province will have a huge increase in production-a new report will be posted for comparison.

Attachment (1)

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 40
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 8/20/2009 6:16:47 AM   
06 Maestro

Istanbul
7 '95

The great capital province and city have undergone major improvements. One barracks, which enabled the building of army corps (another in the works which will allow horse artillery), 2 factories which enabled the construction of artillery (two of which are now being assembled, 1 court needed to eliminate waste in that province, and soon more courts so that additional diplomats can be deployed. This will take another 2 years perhaps. Hopefully I will be able to keep the Prussian dogs at bay until more diplomats are available.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 41
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 8/21/2009 2:47:24 AM   
06 Maestro

8 1795

Venetian War

A crises has arisen from nowhere. The Spanish Empire, which is Allied to the Ottoman Empire launched an attack on Venitia without consulting the Sultan. This has resulted in a rapid mobilization of the Turkish Army. Two corps were immediately dispatched to Illyria, which is a province of Veneto, to capture Zara before any other forces could move into the weakly held area. Losses are expected to mount into the thousands. It is entirely possible that the movement through the mountains will cost more men than the resulting battles.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 42
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 8/21/2009 3:09:09 AM   
06 Maestro

The Venetian War has caused a flurry of diplomatic corresponsnce. To try to keep things in perspective, the Royal Achieve will be opened for public view.

The official correspondence will be presented in a chronological order.

The Sultans first Message is sent to the King of England.

My Dear King

As you are most likely aware, Spain has attacked Venetia. In keeping with my Alliance with them I have declared war on Venetia. Not only have I declared war, but have ordered 2 corps into Illyria, which is Venetian controlled.

It cannot be allowed for any other great power other than the Ottoman Empire to occupy that province. If the Spanish get there before the Turkish Army, then I will be forced to renounced the Alliance and declare war on Spain. To allow that situation to develop would put the O.E. in a position of permanent disadvantage. This will not be allowed

I will be corresponding with the King of Spain immediately. I want you to be aware of the gravity of this situation.

Selim 06
Sultan

The second message was sent to the ruling Council of France.

My Good Council

As you are no doubt aware, Spain has launched an aggressive war against Venetia. As an ally of Spain, I am honoring the treaty and declaring war on Venetia.

It is the will of the Ottoman Empire that no other great power occupy Venetian territory on the Balkan peninsula. The Turkish Army is rushing two corps into the area with the intention of capturing-and keeping the area. If Spanish forces should arrive there before Turkish forces do, the Turko/Spanish Alliance may come to an abrupt end-followed by war. The occupation of the east coast by any power is considered a direct threat to the Ottoman Empire and will be met with force.

I have sent an mutual defense off to France. It is my sincere hope that we can face the challenges of the future together as friends rather than foes.

Selim 3

Sultan 06

Of course, the King of Spain was notified of the Ottoman Empires position in this affair.

My Good King and Ally

I could not help but to notice your adventure into Venice. As we are allies, the Ottoman Empire has declared war on Venice.

Although the Ottoman Empire has little concern about the Spanish Empire expanding its holdings in Italy, any expansion into the Balkans by any major power is considered a direct threat to the O.E.-even if that power is Spain.

The Turkish Army has moved into Illyria. It is hoped that no Spanish forces will attempt a landing in Zara.

Just how the the small country is to be split between our Empires is of the utmost urgency.
The O.E. looks forward to a long relationship ship with the Spanish Empire. Hopefully, something like this will not change that.

Selim 3
Sultan

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 8/21/2009 3:19:43 AM >

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 43
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 8/21/2009 6:55:27 PM   
evwalt

I'm curious. What exactly did you gain through your actions in Bavaria? Sure, you hurt the Prussians, but they aren't a threat to Turkey.

Russia in "Going Again II"
France in "Quest for Glory"
Prussia in "Invitational"

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 44
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 8/21/2009 8:05:44 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: evwalt

I'm curious. What exactly did you gain through your actions in Bavaria? Sure, you hurt the Prussians, but they aren't a threat to Turkey.

You are correct that Prussia was not a threat to Turkey, except in their alliance with Austria. As I'm sure you understand, Austria is is a significant threat to Turkey, and Austria certainly understands that it controls multiple core Turkish provinces, so, the reverse is true.

Under these circumstances, Turkey must position Austria into a weaker position so that a successful war can be had by Turkey. Weakening its most important ally is certainly part of the picture. Other than costing Prussia its holdings, this opened the way for France to move into the void-gaining France's active participation in a war against Austria is of the utmost importance. France did not take advantage of that situation; England tried to, but Austria beat them to it. The result is still to Turkey advantage in that now the French and Austrian borders are much closer. It is only a matter of time before the "ball goes up" and I don't want there to be another power in between France and Austria-some damned treaty might dissuade France from Pushing through Prussian territory thus leaving Turkey "out on a limb".

That is the moral justification for causing the insurrection in Bavaria.

On the real life side, I voted against its use in this game. Someone vetoed that, so I thought it will just be a matter of time before it occurred, so I might as well get some use from it. I was in fact, getting "cold feet" during the several turns that the effort was put forward. In view of the obvious discomfort that the diplomatic effort was causing, I had decided to withdraw my diplomat before the 3rd turn, but it was too late-the deed was done.

So, now I have to contend with a vengeful Prussian King hell bent on causing anguish in the Ottoman Empire until doomsday. So be it. This has shaken things up a bit.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to evwalt)
Post #: 45
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 8/21/2009 9:46:29 PM   
evwalt

Hummm. I thought it was something like that. To me though, it looks like you made the same mistake Athens did fighting against Sparta. Picking someone who might SOMEDAY be your enemy and attacking them (even diplomatically), thus INSURING they would be your enemy.

If I was Prussia, I would consider that action a 'back door' declaration of war. While I doubt his army will ever march down there, I would keep pounding you with my diplomats forever, just to make a point.

I agree though. It looks like the place is about to explode..... Should be fun to watch.

Russia in "Going Again II"
France in "Quest for Glory"
Prussia in "Invitational"

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 46
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 8/22/2009 4:11:44 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: evwalt

Hummm. I thought it was something like that. To me though, it looks like you made the same mistake Athens did fighting against Sparta. Picking someone who might SOMEDAY be your enemy and attacking them (even diplomatically), thus INSURING they would be your enemy.

Nip it in the bud, nip it in the bud.

quote:

If I was Prussia, I would consider that action a 'back door' declaration of war. While I doubt his army will ever march down there, I would keep pounding you with my diplomats forever, just to make a point.

The Prussian King seems intent on doing that a;ready. At this time I'm inclined to think he is wasting his time, unless of course, he is doing his bidding of his Master in Vienna. So long as my powerful diplomats are tied down in the expulsion business, Austria has additional freedom to grow and prosper.

quote:

I agree though. It looks like the place is about to explode..... Should be fun to watch.

Yes, it is getting very close to something. Its at least something that someone has to think about very carefully. The turn is overdue now-smoke coming out of someones ears someplace.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to evwalt)
Post #: 47
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 8/27/2009 4:59:02 AM   
Harvey Birdman

Are you using the road strategy to speed up development time. You have to be careful because the higher the max pop rises the higher the food consuption rises.

quote:

10.2.1 Roads
Roads increase the speed of Development construction, raise maximum population, and boost Initiative. Note that Roads development levels are not the same things as the roads drawn on the strategic map; they have different effects as follows:

Development Construction Time• – If a Development’s new level is less than the level of Roads, the development time is halved.

Maximum Population• – Roads also increase the maximum population of a province above its threshold level. The increase is 50% per level of Roads over the threshold Men level. Population in excess of the threshold level requires significantly more Food consumption (see the Food resource section for details).

Initiative Increase• – Each level of roads increases the Initiative of units in the province by 5%.

quote:

Food is consumed by a nation’s population and military. 1 level of Men consumes 1 level of Food, up to a province’s threshold population level. This is taken from the monthly production of Food, or from the Food stockpile. The Roads development (see below) can increase Men above the threshold level, but they require exponentially more amounts of food to sustain them: 1 level of Men above the threshold level consumes 2 Food (1+1); 2 levels consume 5 Food (1+4); 3 levels consume 10 Food (1+9); and so on.

Most provinces if you build a road you get increase in max pop. So you can build a second road without getting an increase in max pop. Stop building roads. If you build a third road you get another increase in max pop and another jump in food consumption to 5 which is to high for turkey because turkey has a lot of provinces with limited food production.

Many provinces can build 2 roads before you get an increase in max pop, so you can safely build a 3 road without getting an increase in max pop in these provinces.

So it's best to keep track of the starting max pop and starting road level in all your provinces, before you use the road strategy to speed development time. Otherwise you'll wind up with too much food consumption. Don't forget if your armies are suplied with depots, they're consuming food too.

You can always start an all human 1792 scenario skip the other players turns until turkey's turn. Then write down the starting max pop and road level for each turkish province.

PS Don't forget corfu belongs to venice. Grab it before spain does.

Indirect tactics, efficiently applied, are as inexhaustible as Heaven and Earth, unending as the flow of rivers and streams; like the sun and moon, they end but to begin anew; like the four seasons, they pass away but to return once more. Sun Tzu

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 48
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 8/27/2009 5:59:44 AM   
06 Maestro

Thanks for the tips Harvey.

I just recently started building roads. The purpose is to accelerate building improvements. I will have to watch the total. For a time, I thought the threshold increased along with the road allowed increase-apparently not. However, this is still good new as I (until a week ago) under the impression that 3 times road level was required for the bonus on building other improvements. Only one more to gain that benefit makes it much easier. I was actually planning on bringing Angora up to level 10-from zero-apparently not a good idea.

Turkey starts at a major disadvantage in building speed-it will be tough to overcome the European countries. Conquest to achieve everything needed seems far fetched. It will be interesting.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Harvey Birdman)
Post #: 49
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 9/24/2009 3:05:47 AM   
06 Maestro

1795 drew to a close without any major war breaking out. The turmoil cause by Spain's venture into Venitia has ended with all parties being satisfied, as far as I know. The good King of Spain ceded Illyria to the Ottoman Empire which was very welcome. I did not relish the idea of renouncing my alliance with Spain and declaring war on them.

With the Prussian effort to cause rebellion in Egypt and the growing prospect of war, I was forced to increase taxes even further. The economy is still growing, as is the related inflation.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 11/10/2010 2:39:17 AM >

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 50
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 9/24/2009 3:20:33 AM   
06 Maestro

The end of 1795 and the first half of 1796 saw major improvements in Turkish infrastructure and the military. Many new barracks were constructed and the new artillery finally began to arrive. It was not all joy though. The Prussian efforts to cause rebellion in Egypt succeeded in a big way. It was surprising to see the whole country, and not just Lower Egypt rebel. My army which was located in Alexandria fled to Anatolia. It was a long struggle to get Egypt back into the fold.

Here is a listing of ongoing projects in June of '76.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 9/24/2009 3:22:34 AM >

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 51
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 9/24/2009 3:26:26 AM   
06 Maestro

Just as the fiasco of the Egyptian rebellion ended and production was about to take on its former robust levels, war broke out between Russia/France against Austria.The economy was strong and there were plenty of trained recruits available, along with sufficient cash reserves.

Note the inflation rate of 21%. this has become something of a nuisance, but expenditures must continue.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 9/24/2009 3:28:36 AM >

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 52
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 9/24/2009 3:31:12 AM   
06 Maestro

June 1796

The Ottoman Empire, as an ally of France declared war on the Austrian Empire in June.
Here is a view of the starting strategic situation.

Attachment (1)

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 53
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 9/24/2009 3:35:27 AM   
06 Maestro

July 1796

The great war has just begun. Turkish forces are mobilizing and the French Army is moving into Austria via an Italian route.

There are subtle, but important changes in this map report compared to the previous report. One thing that many would consider odd is the conspicuous lack of Russian troops along the Austrian frontier. I was under the impression that the Czar was the one agitating for this war.

One major event was an agreement between England and Spain where England was allowed to seize control of Portugal.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 9/24/2009 3:37:41 AM >

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 54
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 9/24/2009 3:40:19 AM   
06 Maestro

This was the early July situation around Belgrade. Units were coming into the area from adjoining provinces and the various HQ's were leaving their city garrison posts.

Attachment (1)

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 55
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 9/24/2009 3:42:09 AM   
06 Maestro

The first Army would be the prime strike force at the start of the war. All units are at nearly 100% strength.
the 31st Artillery is the first of the new units to be formed. I have high hopes for its future glory in battle.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 9/24/2009 3:44:10 AM >

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 56
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 9/24/2009 3:47:12 AM   
06 Maestro

By the beginning of August the first blow fell on the Austrians. The city of Kronstadt fell after a very short fight. It was possible for the siege to drag on for a month or two giving the Austrians time to gain a defensive battle advantage. Too bad for the Austrians.

Notice all the other units still just arriving in Belgrade and Lessor Wallechia. They will be needed soon enough.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 9/24/2009 3:54:16 AM >

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 57
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 9/24/2009 4:02:46 AM   
06 Maestro

The Austrian forces are finally showing up on the scene in September. It is early enough in the campaigning season to expect a major battle-or two.

I decided to hold my position to see if the Austrians would attack me in the mountains-one can hope.

Attachment (1)

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 58
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 9/24/2009 4:18:07 AM   
06 Maestro

The diplomatic situation has taken a rather displeasing turn. In July, 3 months after declaring war on Austria, Russia declared war on Prussia-and attacked! A surprise attack. By September this had some major implications for the Ottoman Empire-and France as well. And these go far beyond the incontinence of not having our dear "Ally" fighting against our common enemy.

The surprise attack caused a major shift in policy by the English King. Not only did England beginning giving financial aid to Prussia, but also to Austria! The English are an ally of Turkey-how could this have happened! Then, to make matters worse, the English declared war on Russia.

If it were not for the agreed peace with Russia, sealed with a marriage, it would have been likely that the Ottoman Empire would have renounced its treaty with Russia and helped Prussia also. But we must be practical about these things. There was a little problem of a war against Austria-a nation with a much advanced military, that needed to be addressed first. An offer was sent to the Austrian Emperor-wartime problems interfered with or communications-it was rejected in any event. The war would continue with France as my only real ally. As you can see, France is developing some possible threats on both its strategic flanks.

This was supposed to be an easy war, now it has turned into a mess with an unclear ending.

Attachment (1)

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 59
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 9/24/2009 4:20:38 AM   
06 Maestro

The strategic situation map for September 1796 clearly shows the growing threat to France, as well as the location of the main Austrian forces just opposite my Armies in Kronstadt.

Attachment (1)

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Janissaries Forward! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI