Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Janissaries Forward!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Janissaries Forward! Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/8/2010 4:06:24 AM   
06 Maestro

Austria Overview

Most of the depots on this situation map are Ottoman. French and Russian forces can be supplied by Ottoman depots.

Austria has 4 current depots-one at; Vienna, Budweis, Prague and Upper Austria. It has only two remaining bases for supply; Vienna and Prague. It is impossible for the Austrians to get to Vienna before the Russians capture the depot. The Ottoman irregular cavalry which swept into Moravia last month will now go back to Prague. They do not have to capture the city-its presence alone will destroy the depot.

Just how Matto the Great can get out of this mess is, shall I say, very limited in options. There are some wild things such as moving through Prussian territory to either cut French supply (academic now) or try to reach Prague with his main forces-or both. There is also the possibility of a secret treaty allowing British supply for Austria-there was a rumor of a secret treat of some sort, but never confirmed. Either of these options will leave the Austrian capital under occupation. This will force an Austrian surrender within a few months-or less.

His other option is to try to make it back to Vienna. To do this he will need to fight the French again-but this time without supply. He may opt for this course of he is confident of breaking French supply. It is, however, not possible. Of course, he may not know that as he is not aware of the Ottoman depots yet.

All in all, I think he will surrender in April. The only thing that could alter Austria's hopeless situation is for a surprise attack by Prussia-however, the enforced peace is still in effect for about another 5 months.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 601
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/8/2010 4:12:50 AM   
06 Maestro

March
Strategic Map

Things are looking a bit crowded in southern Europe these days.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 602
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/8/2010 4:18:07 AM   
06 Maestro

march
Political Report

Its an oddity; Spain and Great Britain are both funding Austria-even though they are war with one another.

The rational of Spain is clear-it is in Spain's interest for this war to continue until its enforced peace with France comes to an end.
It is more difficult to pin down the British strategy. I can only assume King Kingmaker has some irrational fear of France or of the the peace loving Ottoman Empire.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 603
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/8/2010 4:32:09 AM   
06 Maestro

March
Strength Comparisons

Once again Austria and the O.E. are of the same approximate strength. Ottoman strength will be recovered much more easily that Austria's. Great Britain has continued in it downward slide. It just had stormed the citadel at Parma. It has taken some heavy losses there, but is having success.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 604
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/8/2010 4:39:04 AM   
06 Maestro

March
Moral Comparison

Austria has taken another big drop in moral due to the losses in battle, siege losses and diplomatic efforts. France has recovered somewhat-at least back into the positive-barely.

It is expected that Austria's moral will be far below zero by April,

For reference in this report; France is the blue line. Its current moral is just above zero-perhaps 5. Austria's moral, which is just above France', is about 50. Each block represents one hundred points in moral.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 605
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/8/2010 4:45:31 AM   
06 Maestro

March
1st Army

The 1st Army took a terrible beating at Vienna. It has not had any divisions surrender in this war, but still has taken some heavy losses-most due to the attrition after the battle in Vienna. Some strength from the Carpathian Army and the 2nd Army were transfered into the 1st. There must be at least one battle worthy army available.

Due to the shortage of replacements for the entire Army, total military readiness has been reduced to 85%. There is not much sense in paying for a level that cannot be attained for several months.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 606
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/8/2010 4:55:30 AM   
06 Maestro

March
2nd Army

The second Army has taken a beating-first at Odenburg and then Vienna. The siege of Krajina has not helped matters. In this war, the 2nd has had one infantry, one artillery and 2 cavalry divisions surrender. There has also been divisional strength transfers to the 1st Army. Also, the division that was left in the citadel of Vienna was from this army. It was a green division-they were expendable.

There is still hope for this army. However, if it fails again in battle, it will disbanded and never formed again.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 10/8/2010 4:56:45 AM >

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 607
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/8/2010 4:59:51 AM   
06 Maestro

March
BEF

As Great Britain is my good ally I can see its forces in good detail. The force that is operating in Italy has an unusual organization. Note the solid artillery corp. Perhaps there is some advantage in siege warfare with this organization.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 608
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/8/2010 6:09:07 PM   
Zap

Hi Maestro,

It looks like after all the improvements your army is still not up to the fighting level of austria's army. That has to have you wondering just how much more will it take for your troops to be at an eqaul level.

Another thing I noticed is that when in defense the defender seems to have the upper hand? The example of France winning that latest victroy as defenders. As opposed to him in previous battles taking losses as the attacker. Or is it more complicated than that.

Got my absentee vote ballot already sent in. Only one choice all "R"s.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 609
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/9/2010 8:24:35 AM   
06 Maestro

Hi Zap

I was, until recently, under the impression that if you controlled the province that you gained the defense bonus. I have now heard that regardless of temporary control of a province where a battle occurs if it is in your current national borders you receive the defense bonus. This makes offensive war even more difficult. This is not all bad. A time will come when vast hordes of barbarians will attmept an invasion of the O.E. My counter attacks will be more effective.

By the time Austria will be able to attack me (in about 18 months if it surrenders now) I will have a much stronger force-including the patriotism upgrade which adds even more moral. I estimate that Austria will have quarterly gains of about 25 points of army experience while the O.E will be well over 80 and perhaps 90. Even with his surrender bonus of 300 I will still be able to close the remaining small gap even further before we have another war. As I expect to be on the strategic defense in that war I will have a significant advantage. "They" will need overwhelming numbers. If the Triple Spare Alliance is still in effect, that will be difficult to achieve.

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 10/9/2010 8:25:38 AM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 610
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/11/2010 9:55:39 PM   
06 Maestro

April, 1807

There will be no broad coverage of events this month. The Sultan is in a state of shock. The war was as good as won-again, but the victory which was in our grasp was thrown away-by the Czar-again. Just why this keeps happening-beginning as far back as 1795 is unknown. Does the Czar have some hidden agenda? I can only speculate that he must do things his way regardless of existing realities-or commitments.

It was written somewhere that you are likely better off in having an open flank than to have it protected by an unreliable ally.

What was supposed to have occurred is that the Russian army was to move into an unprotected Vienna. The Russian army was in Pest-a two province march. There was absolutely no threat of being intercepted. The French army was covering the direct approaches and the O.E. was securing the depot line and the southern flank. I even threw away another irregular cavalry unit to destroy the Austrian depot in Prague. For some reason it was beyond the Czar/Russian army to march into Vienna.

Instead of an Austrian Empire with a moral of minus 200 with its advance blocked to its capital, it now can advance with positive moral on a weakened blocking force. The French army must reposition closer to the Prussian border and completely withdraw from the theater in a few months.

I have ordered the 1st Ottoman army to move into upper Austria. The resulting battle will decide this war. If the Ottoman forces triumph-the war is over. Austrian moral will be negative 500 or more-assuming that the Russian army can move one whole province in a month. I am hopeful that can happen as there is a road-but then again, there was a road from Pest also. If the Ottoman forces are defeated, then the offensive portion of this war is over for a very long time-likely forever. I will have to take the remnants of my forces back south where they will stay for a long time. I do hope the Czar can run away back to Russia without loss.

Another irritating aspect to this situation is that the O.E. or France could have very easily sent in a small force to Vienna last month. I purposely did not do it so that the Czar could attain some victory points-which at last check amounted to a whopping 20 points. The O.E. has over 280-no more is needed. France has approximately 200. There was a chance to help our slow moving ally. All he had to do was march 2 provinces. He will eventually discover that the attrition is much preferable to loosing a major battle. I can't help but to count that as one of the reasons of the lethargic movement of the Russians-not wanting to suffer attrition. I just don't know what to think. One thing for sure, after suffering at least 6 times in a very big way during the last and current war due to Russia not doing what it said it would do-I am done with trying to coordinate anything with the czar-it is pointless.

On this map the ottoman forces have been moved to their new positions-no other powers have their current moves shown.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 10/16/2010 9:34:20 PM >

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 611
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/12/2010 9:57:55 PM   
Zap

Having heard the french report of your victory. Hope it brings joy to the Sultan. This should change things

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 612
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/13/2010 12:46:56 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Having heard the french report of your victory. Hope it brings joy to the Sultan. This should change things

Yes, it is was a critical point in the war. Had I lost that battle the course of the war would have gone onto a dismal trail. In this case, not only would the O.E. would have suffered the moral loss and the likely need to withdraw south, but the Russians would have easily been booted out of Vienna. As I mentioned before, the offensive part of the war would have been over-unless the French Emperor wanted to go for one more battle.

Due to the soon to expire enforced peace with Spain and Prussia the French Army must be heading homeward. It was now or never-the Ottoman Army had to block the Austrians from reaching Vienna. It is an unfortunate situation in that the Russian Army has very few training upgrades. Some individual units have been improved, but compared to what Austria has it is nothing. What the Russians did have in Vienna was enough to defeat the retreating, out of supply and broken Austrian Army in Vienna. So Russia pulled off a victory also-and thankfully, it did make it into Vienna. (I checked on the rules; under certain circumstances, such as weather, "strategic initiate" can be reduced by 50%-this may have caused the Russian delay-I just have never seen a one province movement cap before).

A full report will be forthcoming-after all turns are in. Loose lips sink ships.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 613
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/15/2010 12:59:41 AM   
Mus

Crossing mountains can cause issues as well, FYI.

Mindset, Tactics, Skill, Equipment
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 614
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/15/2010 1:22:38 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mus

Crossing mountains can cause issues as well, FYI.

I know, I have done it multiple times. Otto forces can also speed march 3 provinces and capture a heavily fortified city-or in the case of upper Austria, march 2 provinces without a road, cross a river without a bridge, and fight a superior foe and defeat him.

Perhaps it was just the luck of the draw-such things happen I suppose. However, the timing was just horrible. My reaction to it was actually quite mild compared to an other :)

Addit: Looking at the last map posted I re-noticed the mountains in Styria. The Ottoman 1st traversed those also on the way to battle (to cover the Russians). So that is through mountains, over a bridge-less river, into the woods-and fight. I am sure the Army could have made 3 provinces, but the battle may not have gone as well.

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 10/15/2010 3:44:23 AM >

(in reply to Mus)
Post #: 615
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/15/2010 5:59:18 PM   
06 Maestro

May, 1807
Glory

The Ottoman Empire still lags in 4th place-and Austria is still in 1st. All Europe will soon be alarmed at some other Empire other than Austria though. As the critical battle of Upper Austria went well for the Triple Spare Alliance, the Austrian Empire is in a bad position-very bad.

Thessaly is one of a few provinces that was slated for improvement in all areas. It has a good production of textiles and iron. Road development had been maintained to speed development in all areas. Bulgaria is a special case. Improvements have been made there, but it is a prime wine producing regions for the O.E. It hurts the whole Empire when its labor is redirected away from agriculture.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 616
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/15/2010 6:02:01 PM   
06 Maestro

May
Culture

Austria is still at the bottom with the current culture situation. As nearly all of Austrian is under hostile occupation, it has very little to draw on. The Czar must be pleased with his current standing in culture. I wish he would focus more on Russia's military improvements.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 617
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/15/2010 6:09:16 PM   
06 Maestro

May
Battle Reports

The battles of Upper Austria and Vienna has sealed the fate of the Austrian Empire. Although the battle for upper Austria was not a decisive victory, it has left Austria in a situation of grave weakness. Its moral has plummeted to new lows, its legions are far understrength, it armies are separated and can be defeated in detail.

The Russians, even in view of their comparative weakness, were able to achieve a victory over Austria in Vienna. The Austrians were to advance straight through Upper Austria into Vienna to break the siege-all that got there was a defeated force with no supply.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 618
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/15/2010 6:15:39 PM   
06 Maestro

May
Austrian Theater

In view of the current weakness of the Austrian Army the Sultan has decided to press for a decisive battle. The Ottoman 1st Army is ordered to advance into Munich. There is confidence of the positive outcome to this upcoming battle-much more so than ever before. The Austrian divisions are under strength and possibly a few are even disordered. Victory should be assured.

The French are laying siege to Prague and then will move to Moravia to try to catch the remnants of 2 Austrian Armies.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 619
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/15/2010 6:21:56 PM   
06 Maestro

May
Ottoman 1st Army

The first Army is far under strength-about 40,000. However, the Austrians must be in much worse condition. It will advance into Munich this month.

This army has the 5th Corp attached. The 5th is a special outfit-every division and even the artillery have been upgraded with woodsman training. This will give a significant advantage in the battle at Munich. It also was a factor in the victory in Upper Austria no doubt.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 10/16/2010 9:42:19 PM >

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 620
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/15/2010 6:25:38 PM   
06 Maestro

May
Po Valley

Northern Italy is awash in Spanish and Prussian troops. In addition to the Prussian forces in Venitia, there are about 40,000 Spanish in garrison there. Just what they are expecting is a mystery to me. The British are long gone.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 621
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/15/2010 6:28:15 PM   
06 Maestro

May
Naval Battles

It looks like the Swedish Navy came out to play with the Royal Navy-not a good idea.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 622
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/15/2010 6:43:20 PM   
06 Maestro

June, 1807
Glory

This will likely be the last time that Austria will be in the leading glory position for a long time-perhaps 500 years. The end is nigh.
Lower Moldavia completed its 5th court-just in time. Not only will the added administration be helpful in the soon to be expanded empire, but it will make it more safe from unscrupulous efforts at causing a rebellion in the area. Upper and lower Moldavia can be made into an independent country. This has happened once before-much to the detriment of the Ottoman Empire.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 10/15/2010 6:50:04 PM >

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 623
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/15/2010 6:57:26 PM   
06 Maestro

June
Culture

The culture position is a new high for the Ottoman Empire. France has dropped down to its official level as it seems some diplomats, quietly on their own, made peace with Austria. This was not planned by Emperor Terje', but a limited surrender was offered by Austria-and it was accepted due to some diplomatic positions (settings) automatically. A bit of a surprise for all, but it will not matter for this war now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 624
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/15/2010 7:05:20 PM   
06 Maestro

June
Army Reports

The 1st Army triumphed in Munich. It was a surprisingly tough battle, but the Austrians gave way. Another division was captured, but no artillery. This is too bad as that was one of the main goals of the attack. This mean that another attack must be pushed through.

The battle was considered a decisive victory. This has caused an added drop in Austrian moral of 500 points. This puts Austria at about negative 950. It should surrender soon regardless of the plans or wishes of Emperor Matto the Great.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 10/15/2010 7:06:10 PM >

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 625
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/15/2010 7:10:50 PM   
06 Maestro

June
Moral Comparisons

Austria is almost off the chart-it cannot hold out much longer.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 626
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/15/2010 7:19:00 PM   
06 Maestro

June
Political Reports

The big item here is the Austrian limited surrender to France. France still had enough victory points to make a very demanding surrender treaty-Austria is damaged in a strategic way through the loss of generals.

Great Britain and Spain are both still subsidizing Austria, but to a lessor degree.

The diplomats reducing Austrian moral will be reassigned-they are not needed in that capacity any longer.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 627
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/15/2010 7:29:09 PM   
06 Maestro

June
Austrian Theater

The options for the Ottoman 1st Army are limited to 3; move back east and just let the war end, attack south into the mountains or to attack north into the Platinate. The 3rd choice seems the most rational as there will likely be some artillery to capture.

There are still some risks-Austria likely has a secret treaty giving it supply from Prussia, so it will be in supply. Crossing the river before battle also has some serious negative aspects (reduced number of divisions fighting at once and possible disorganization). Austria also has over 300 experience points to acquire new training upgrades. On the positive side Ottoman moral is much higher and its divisions are closer to full strength. It is still not decided just what to do. Ottoman forces are badly depleted. It would take a year of just recovering to make up the losses-no movement or battle. There is reason to just fall back and wait for the surrender.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 628
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/16/2010 8:08:40 PM   
06 Maestro

July, 1807
Glory Standings

The Ottoman Empire is still in 4th place, but it is narrowing the gap with the leading Empires. Austria should be taking another big drop soon-hopefully very soon. It has already fallen enough so that all Europe is no longer concerned about its power-Spain has taken its place. All the Middle East is very concerned about Spain also....

There were some more improvements in farming. Both Aleppo and Istanbul Provinces are very productive in agriculture-if need be. Generally their labor is concentrated in other areas, but the added agriculture capacity may be needed in the future. The O.E. has experience a significant drop in manpower. It is not viewed as a problem at this time, however, it could easily become one in the future. Added food supplies would quickly bring manpower back to the cities.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 629
RE: Janissaries Forward! - 10/16/2010 8:11:13 PM   
06 Maestro

July
Diplomacy

Everyone still has a war to attend to except France. It was snookered into a limited peace offer by Austria. It did serve well and earned a little break. It could use some time to recover losses from the war.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 630
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Janissaries Forward! Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI