Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Zero fodder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Zero fodder Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Zero fodder - 6/25/2009 12:25:06 AM   
Feinder

RDAF Buffalo by yours truely.

Really, I'm just playing with my new camera.
-F-

Attachment (1)

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Post #: 1
RE: Zero fodder - 6/25/2009 12:31:48 AM   
Terminus

Nice job, on both the modeling and the pic.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 2
RE: Zero fodder - 6/25/2009 2:20:47 AM   
Feinder

Thanks!

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Zero fodder - 6/25/2009 4:46:38 AM   
TOMLABEL

Agreed...very nice!!!! Love the camo!

Is this Tamiya? If so, I have one in the pile that will be a CV2 bird.....eventually.................one day..........................I hope!

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 4
RE: Zero fodder - 6/25/2009 6:44:38 AM   
wdolson

I assume it's not the new 1/32 kit from Special Hobby.  That doesn't come with a pilot figure.  Somebody else came out with a new 1/48 Buffalo within the last couple of years, but I forget who.  Is this the old Tamiya kit?  I have a couple of those I plan to build one of these days.  For it's age, it's a nice kit.

The pilot looks like he's praying.

Nice job on the Buffalo.  It was an important milestone in naval aviation.  It was just obsolete by 1941.  (Brewster also wasn't top of the mark on production quality either.)

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 5
RE: Zero fodder - 6/25/2009 7:06:12 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Buffalo is one of my favorite planes. The Finnish air force made very good use of them.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 6
RE: Zero fodder - 6/25/2009 7:22:09 AM   
Yamato hugger

Looks to me like the pilot is praying

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 7
RE: Zero fodder - 6/25/2009 7:52:05 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

Looks to me like the pilot is praying

If he is a Dutch pilot piloting a Buffalo he has good reason to pray.

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 8
RE: Zero fodder - 6/25/2009 12:41:52 PM   
Feinder

"Dear God, please don't give me any missions until after May 1st..." 

Yes, I think it's the Taymia kit at 1/48.  I like Fujimi as well (or however you spell it).  I've got one of USS Hornet w/ the B-25s plodding along as well.  I actually don't care about the B-25s.  I might have to get a pack USN AC to fit out out.

Actually, I've filled up most of the my wife's china cabinet with 1/72 airplanes.  I had made it my goal to build all the AC of WW2O, for those that remember it (Hurri, Spit, Bf-109, Bf-100, Blen-IV, Stuka, He-111, Dew-520, H-35, et al).  But the boys (3 and 4 years old), have "played with them" occasionally, so they're often missing a landing gear or prop blad here and there (* shrug *).

-F-

Post #: 9
RE: Zero fodder - 6/25/2009 12:54:07 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

Yes, I think it's the Taymia kit at 1/48. I like Fujimi as well (or however you spell it). I've got one of USS Hornet w/ the B-25s plodding along as well. I actually don't care about the B-25s. I might have to get a pack USN AC to fit out out.

The 1/700 scale kit? I believe that is a Fujimi kit. There were 4 Japanese kit makers who agreed to pool their resources to make most of the ships of the IJN in 1/700 scale rather than compete: Tamiya, Hasegawa, Aoshima, and Fujimi. They made some Allied and German ships too, the Hornet is one of them. Many of the Aoshima and Fujimi molds are getting old, but Tamiya and Hasegawa have been retooling their old kits. Tamiya also sort of broke the agreement and released a couple of subjects done by other kit makers including the Yamato class and Shokaku class.

quote:

Actually, I've filled up most of the my wife's china cabinet with 1/72 airplanes. I had made it my goal to build all the AC of WW2O, for those that remember it (Hurri, Spit, Bf-109, Bf-100, Blen-IV, Stuka, He-111, Dew-520, H-35, et al). But the boys (3 and 4 years old), have "played with them" occasionally, so they're often missing a landing gear or prop blad here and there (* shrug *).

Some of the more obscure aircraft are hard to find, even in 1/72 scale.

I have an unfortunate jones for larger kits. I have most of the 1/24 scale aircraft kits in existence. I also have a lot of 1/32 scale kits. I deal with the space issue by hanging them up. Can't do that with armor or ships though.

I like interior detail on a kit. It's the engineer in me. It's an interesting learning experience to build the kit and find out something new about how the original worked.

Bill

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 10
RE: Zero fodder - 6/25/2009 1:10:11 PM   
USSAmerica

Very nice work, Feinder! 

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 11
RE: Zero fodder - 6/25/2009 1:55:04 PM   
Dili

I still have around, probably now missing some pieces the 1/72 Buffalo from Matchbox.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 12
RE: Zero fodder - 6/25/2009 4:30:48 PM   
Feinder

quote:

I deal with the space issue by hanging them up.

There's a "real" barber shop down the road from me.  Not SuperCuts.  But the kind with a barber pole and fat old men where buisness deals are struck.

The owner is USMC Korean War vet, and has a bunch of models suspended from the ceiling (including several of mine).

My boys like to go down there and point out which models Dad made.

-F-

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 13
RE: Zero fodder - 6/25/2009 4:35:10 PM   
Shark7

Of course you realize you've now encouraged me to build mine (still sitting in the box). Though I think I will mark it as a Singapore squadron.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 14
RE: Zero fodder - 6/25/2009 4:44:42 PM   
Feinder

Dutch... RAAF... RAF... USN...

They all look alike eventually...

-F-

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 15
RE: Zero fodder - 6/25/2009 4:47:01 PM   
Shark7

quote:

Dutch... RAAF... RAF... USN...

They all look alike eventually...

-F-

Finland seemed to be able to put them to good use though. I suspect the planes they were facing weren't vastly superior to them as was the case in the Pacific.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 16
RE: Zero fodder - 6/25/2009 4:47:02 PM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

Yes, I think it's the Taymia kit at 1/48. I like Fujimi as well (or however you spell it). I've got one of USS Hornet w/ the B-25s plodding along as well. I actually don't care about the B-25s. I might have to get a pack USN AC to fit out out.

The 1/700 scale kit? I believe that is a Fujimi kit. There were 4 Japanese kit makers who agreed to pool their resources to make most of the ships of the IJN in 1/700 scale rather than compete: Tamiya, Hasegawa, Aoshima, and Fujimi. They made some Allied and German ships too, the Hornet is one of them. Many of the Aoshima and Fujimi molds are getting old, but Tamiya and Hasegawa have been retooling their old kits. Tamiya also sort of broke the agreement and released a couple of subjects done by other kit makers including the Yamato class and Shokaku class.

quote:

Actually, I've filled up most of the my wife's china cabinet with 1/72 airplanes. I had made it my goal to build all the AC of WW2O, for those that remember it (Hurri, Spit, Bf-109, Bf-100, Blen-IV, Stuka, He-111, Dew-520, H-35, et al). But the boys (3 and 4 years old), have "played with them" occasionally, so they're often missing a landing gear or prop blad here and there (* shrug *).

Some of the more obscure aircraft are hard to find, even in 1/72 scale.

I have an unfortunate jones for larger kits. I have most of the 1/24 scale aircraft kits in existence. I also have a lot of 1/32 scale kits. I deal with the space issue by hanging them up. Can't do that with armor or ships though.

I like interior detail on a kit. It's the engineer in me. It's an interesting learning experience to build the kit and find out something new about how the original worked.

Bill

At one point , years ago, I had an entire air fleet hanging from my ceiling. I had left a number of models I had built at my parents house. When my kids were old enough to wander around a bit by themselves, they found these. Not many survived their " curiosity "

< Message edited by stuman -- 6/25/2009 5:00:29 PM >

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 17
RE: Zero fodder - 6/25/2009 4:53:39 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Really, I'm just playing with my new camera.
-F-

1:72?

Very nice!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 18
RE: Zero fodder - 6/25/2009 7:07:49 PM   
Feinder

No, the Buffalo is 1:48.  But I have a bunch of 1:72, because they don't take up much space.

-F-

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 19
RE: Zero fodder - 6/25/2009 7:54:56 PM   
Nikademus

very nice.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 20
RE: Zero fodder - 6/25/2009 8:23:49 PM   
mdiehl

quote:

Nicely done!

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 21
RE: Zero fodder - 6/26/2009 1:34:16 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7
Finland seemed to be able to put them to good use though. I suspect the planes they were facing weren't vastly superior to them as was the case in the Pacific.

Some Russian fighters gave the Me-109 and Fw-190 fits when in the right hands. The Sturmovik was also a tough nut to crack. The Rata was obsolete at war's start, but the next generation of Russian fighters was really fairly good, though maybe lacking in firepower and range.

The Finns were beating front line Russian fighters with fixed landing gear Fokkers. The Buffaloes were a step up.

The Finnish Buffaloes were flown by very good pilots up against some not so hot Russian pilots. The Dutch Buffaloes suffered from poor quality engines (they were recycled airliner engines that were a bit worn out), and the RAF Buffalo pilots at Singapore suffered from a British doctrine of dog fighting anything they encountered. The British in the Far East were slow to change tactics away from dogfighting to utilizing the other advantages of their fighters. The Finns were flexible in their tactics and adjusted them as needed.

In US service, the Buffalo only saw combat once, at Midway. The Buffaloes at Midway were flown by inexperienced pilots thrown into an ad hoc defense. They were outnumbered by highly experienced Japanese pilots.

As a result, the Finns were much more successful with the Buffalo than anyone else. The Buffalo had more maintenance problems than the Wildcat, and it was more expensive to build, but in performance, when maintained properly, it appears that it was on par with the Wildcat.

In the original fighter competition, the Buffalo beat out the Wildcat, though Grumman's initial Wildcat entry was a biplane. The Wildcat went on to gain an incredible reputation and the Buffalo was dumped in the dustbin of history due in part to the Buffalo's poor performance in the SRA, where it was not competently handled and hamstrung by bad engines (in the case of the Dutch). The USN was phasing out the Buffalo when the war started because the Wildcat was much easier to maintain and Grumman had fewer production problems than Brewster.

Brewster's management and production problems were so bad that the government took them over during the war and the company ceased to exist just after the war. The Buffalo wasn't the only problem aircraft Brewster produced.

In the 1938 build up program, the Navy ordered a back up torpedo bomber and back up dive bomber program to serve as a back stop if the TBF or SB2C program ran into trouble. Brewster won the contract for the SB2A Bermuda dive bomber. Even though the Helldiver ran into serious problems that delayed its entry into service (it and the Corsair should have been entering fleet service in June 1942 alongside the TBF), the Bermuda was so much worse it was never seriously considered.

After the Bermuda debacle, the Navy decided to give Brewster the contract to license build Corsairs. The F3A Corsair was so poorly built that none ever left the US. The entire production run was dedicated to training.

One F3A was pulled from a swamp somewhere in the South a few years ago and there are plans to rebuild it. Other than a few Buffaloes, I believe it is the only other surviving Brewster airframe.

The reputation the Buffalo had in the Navy may have been in part due to the known problems with Brewster Aircraft. They were the Yugo of American aircraft builders.

Bill

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 22
RE: Zero fodder - 6/26/2009 1:40:10 AM   
TOMLABEL

Great information, Bill! Good info that I never knew.

Thank you very much!

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 23
RE: Zero fodder - 6/26/2009 2:00:25 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

They were the Yugo of American aircraft builders.

An insult to the Yugo!!

As has been pointed out, it takes an exceptional weapons manufacturer to go broke during the biggest war in history...

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 24
RE: Zero fodder - 6/26/2009 2:39:44 AM   
YankeeAirRat

Remember that Brewester Aircraft Company started out as a carriage and leather makers back in the 1830's. They then expanded into car manufacturing producing copies of successful Delaunay-Belleville French cars. Then just before the start of WW1 they were the sales agents for Rolls-Royce in the US. They were importing and the repair company. Most of these cars were special orders from some of the richest people in the US. Such as JP Morgan, Vanderbilt, Astor, Rockefeller, Ford, Tiffany etc. Post WW1 Brewster lost the deal with Rolls and when then picked up a deal just after the Depression started where they were taking Ford V8 Engines and chassis and putting a Brewster body on it. They were selling well, but something turned in the '30's and the company went bankrupt and sold off at public auction in 1937. Meanwhile one of the other division outside of leather manufacturing/cars/carriages became the aicraft company. It was the only unit of the Brewester Company to maintain the Brewster name after the 1937 bankruptcy auction. However, the aircraft portion was just formed at the wrong time. It was founded in 1924 and begain to flounder in 1929 after the Depression started. According to most historians they believe the Navy contract for the F2A was the only thing keeping that company afloat. The board of Brewster Aircraft basically drove the company out of business because they weren't fully successful to adapt to what was going on in the economy.

Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 25
RE: Zero fodder - 6/26/2009 3:18:46 AM   
Fallschirmjager

The Fins also made some changes to the aircraft itself. They coaxed 10-15 more HP out of the engine. They got rid of the pitiful armanent of one .50 cal MG and one .30 cal MG and went with four .50 cal MGs. They inverted the piston rings which greatly improved reliability. They gave it a gunsight that was accurate. They stripped off all the unnessacary parts which shaved off hundreds of Lbs. They added a armoured backseat for the pilot.

(in reply to YankeeAirRat)
Post #: 26
RE: Zero fodder - 6/26/2009 11:49:06 AM   
Dili

The best site about Finish Airforce with a lot about Buffalos:

http://www.sci.fi/~fta/BWtoFAF1.htm

quote:

On the same day the Italian test pilot Cugnasca had brought one more Fiat(G.50) from Göteborg. On the next day two more Fiats came from Göteborg. During the same day Winston flew a practice air combat against Karhunen in Brewsters. Later on the same day he flew against Cugnasca and in the fight the Brewster proved to be a little slower but more agile in the close combat.

Post #: 27
RE: Zero fodder - 6/26/2009 1:12:07 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

The Fins also made some changes to the aircraft itself. They coaxed 10-15 more HP out of the engine. They got rid of the pitiful armanent of one .50 cal MG and one .30 cal MG and went with four .50 cal MGs. They inverted the piston rings which greatly improved reliability. They gave it a gunsight that was accurate. They stripped off all the unnessacary parts which shaved off hundreds of Lbs. They added a armoured backseat for the pilot.

Actually the Finnish Buffaloes came with 1 .30 caliber and 3X .50 calibers. The engine was also down rated from what the navy had, so adding 15 hp was still leaving them with less power than the Navy Buffaloes.

This details all the Buffalo versions: http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/f2a.html

Bill

Post #: 28
RE: Zero fodder - 6/26/2009 1:39:41 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Actually the Finnish Buffaloes came with 1 .30 caliber and 3X .50 calibers. The engine was also down rated from what the navy had, so adding 15 hp was still leaving them with less power than the Navy Buffaloes.

This details all the Buffalo versions: http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/f2a.html

Bill

how much sense makes it to couple one cal.30 with three cal.50?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 29
RE: Zero fodder - 6/26/2009 1:56:26 PM   
Feinder

It probably had something to do with weight.  I don't actually the actual reason for whatever configuration they were using.  But usually, it's about weight.

-F-

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Zero fodder Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI