Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

what can I expect from this game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> what can I expect from this game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
what can I expect from this game - 7/8/2009 9:53:52 PM   
damezzi

I'm a Toaw lover and always had the will to see a game on the tactical scale which could be so comprehensive as TOAW in terms of variety of periods. I know that the John Tiller's series have games representing other time periods (apart WWII) and I have seen posts here talking about a modern period series, but I don't really know if it keeps some relation with the campaign series.
I would like to know how the different periods treated by john tiller's series relate to one another; are they essentially the same game or are they different games with completely different rules set? I don't have the time to deal with multiple game systems and that's why I'm trying to find the most comprehensive one, since I'm not a WWII only kind of player. What can I expect from John Tiller's series in term of different time periods? And in term of tactical game system, how would it compare to such games as Steel Panthers and the HPS series? (things like variety of tactics, real need for planning instead of just pushing your troops, variety of scenarios feel etc, are what matters the most for me)
And what about the game future in terms of support and new features?
Post #: 1
RE: what can I expect from this game - 7/8/2009 10:38:15 PM   
andym

I think you will find that the "core system" and rules for both the WW2 and Modern era will be the same with additions to take in to account the different Weapons platforms available(ie Helicopters and the like).The game may not look like some of the other modern eye candy thats around but it has a certain addicitveness.For me its as close as you can get to Miniature WW2 warfare on the PC.As for planning,yes you will need to do that especially if you use Extreme fog of war and other extras.The community is continually making new campaigns and scenarios.There are scenarios ranging from the very simple to ones like Operation Overlord with over 1200 turns!New vehicles and the like are always being made so the game will have a very long life.One thing to remember is that essentially its an "old " game but has been brought up to scratch for todays gamer,i had been waiting for several years fot JTCS to come out and play it on almost a daily basis!You wont regret buying JTCS,trust me I was a Nurse!

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 2
RE: what can I expect from this game - 7/9/2009 12:30:34 AM   
V22 Osprey

John Tiller's Campaign Series is probably the best value at matrix.It includes full Map, OOB, and scenario editors, as well as a battle generator and some many campaigns I can't count.Plus you get DCGs(Dynamic campaign games) which plays like a normal campaign but the maps are generated.Plus hundreds of scenarios so basicly you are able to play pretty much any battle you want at platoon scale.There is an OOB spanning from 1930 to 1953.Basicly everything matrix tells you can do you can do in JTCS.

This is from the info page of JTCS:
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/318/info/John.Tiller's.Campaign.Series
quote:

Reinforce your countrymen at the Western Front. Swarm Japanese strongholds on your way to their homeland. Crush the enemy on the Eastern Front. Protect the U.S. coast from Japanese invasion. March into Germany standing victorious with your allies.

You can do all of this and more with this package.

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 3
RE: what can I expect from this game - 7/9/2009 1:15:36 AM   
Jarexx

Not really to answer your question but you'll find the Rising Sun demo here...

http://homepage.eircom.net/~enightingale/index2.html

Should be enough to let you know would you enjoy the game or not.

Raven

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 4
RE: what can I expect from this game - 7/9/2009 2:40:26 AM   
hurtzDonut

Hours of fun and frustration.

"Invader blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubberpants" Invader Zim

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 5
RE: what can I expect from this game - 7/9/2009 2:44:05 AM   
V22 Osprey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jarexx

Not really to answer your question but you'll find the Rising Sun demo here...

http://homepage.eircom.net/~enightingale/index2.html

Should be enough to let you know would you enjoy the game or not.

Raven

Yea, but you can't really base JTCS off the original games.There are countless improvements, but gameplay is still the same I guess.

(in reply to Jarexx)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> what can I expect from this game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI