Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Seagull vs challenge France, June 1940

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Opponents Wanted >> Seagull vs challenge France, June 1940 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Seagull vs challenge France, June 1940 - 6/2/2002 8:09:15 AM   
Seagull

A fine summer's day in the north of France, Col. Marceau thought. Warm sunshine, flowers in bloom, good visibility... all in all an excellent day to be hunting les Boches.

The pleasant afternoon had been somewhat disturbed by distant thunder, but it seemed insignificant. Certainly thunder had never hurt anyone.

His troops moved forward, eager to make contact. All that was needed now was an enemy to fight....

Col. Marceau made a mental note to have words later in the day with the quartermaster. Surely, in all of France, there should be more than 1 81mm mortar and 1 60mm mortar:eek:
Post #: 1
- 6/2/2002 1:15:13 PM   
challenge

Things had been a bit quiet all day while the vehicles were refueled and ammo reloaded into the Panzers and StuGs. An intelegence report came to the Colonel reporting a French unit spotted heading into the area. Scouts and recon were mobilized and a short artillery barrage ordered to provide them a point of reference as to the enemy "lines" -- if that description is accurate as fast as it keeps moving west.

Reports from forward units came in reporting Vis IB, and a few other tanks and trucks moving toward them. A scout car drew fire as it moved to an advanced postion.

The map was unrolled showing a stretch of ridgelines running north and south across mostly open terrain with patchy woods. The weather was clear and visability was about a kilometer and a half. The Luftwaffe was busy elsewhere on the front, but artillery was available.

Challenge

War is unhealthy for die-stamped cardboard and other paper products.

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 2
- 6/2/2002 7:16:52 PM   
Seagull

Col. Marceau's recon units reported sighting several halftracks to the north and to the south, accompanied by a handful of Panzer III's and IV's. A couple of scout cars had taken up positions on high ground in the central region of the map.

His forces continued to move toward their objectives.

A German fishing expedition using howitzers must have proven a disappointment to les Boches, since nobody was in the area to truly appreciate it. Col. Marceau's noble French artillerists, on the other hand, had managed to say 'bonjeur' to a brace of PzKfw IV's with a 155mm handshake. No evident damage, but perhaps they would show more caution in their future movements.

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 3
- 6/2/2002 10:59:10 PM   
challenge

Col Schwendt listened to the sound of French guns firing. "Sounds like they have about 6 - 155s and 4 - 75s. Any casualty reports?"

"Well, sir," reported an aide, "Lt Wittman reports that some of his tankers complained that the clumps thrown up by the artillery barrage got dirt in their coffee and on their chocolate, but no other damage. any where. On the other hand, sir, our artillery s***s."

"Ah, you would think the French would at least respect the fact that we are having dinner. With their food fetish, you would think they would know better then to ruin a meal."

Updated reports from the scouts indicate a center advance of some 20 Char B1s tanks in two formations each supported by a few FCM 36s and Char D2s. The South has AMR 33s and FCM 36s, but not in any quatity. Same is reported in the north. Both flaks also reported seeing a few trucks, most likely carrying infantry.

Earlier visability reports were incorrect, sir. Visability is just over 2 km.

Challenge

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 4
- 6/3/2002 3:36:53 AM   
Seagull

Col. Marceau smiled as an aide rushed up with news.

"Sir! We have reports that two Boches scout cars have been destroyed!"

"[I]Tres bien[\I]." Ah, the removal of the filth which has polluted our soil proceeds, he thought.

"[I]Alors[\I], we have also lost a [I]camion[\I] to mortar fire."

"[I]Merde![\I]" If only that would be the last of our losses, he thought. All too soon, for some of his valiant men, other lives would be lost as the two sides came closer to grips.

"Lieutenant, would you please instruct our forces to begin setting out the camembert and burgundy traps?"

"[I]Mais oui, mon colonel[\I]. It will be my pleasure."

Perhaps this would lure the vaunted Panzers into range...

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 5
- 6/3/2002 4:57:32 AM   
challenge

The good news is the artillery has started hitting things. The bad news is that AT crews aren't.

Only a few hits on a few trucks and some infantry to report. Nothing beyond that. Although the Infantry platoons on the flanks look pretty whimpy -- but, hey, they're French.

Challenge

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 6
Grrrr.... - 6/3/2002 7:59:50 AM   
Seagull

Evidently, FMC-2C infantry tanks are armored with tin foil and tissue paper. One has fallen victim to a 3.7cm Flak gun :(

A German special ops squad managed to infiltrate into the French rear area. Not content with kicking the tires on used trucks, they have decided to blow them up. The manager will be along to speak with them presently :D

My infantry don't hold up well to artillery bombardment. The routing has begun in the south :(

On a positive note, I've destroyed an FO, a couple of 8-wheeled armored cars, and another scout car. :):)

Somewhere there are Panzers...

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 7
- 6/3/2002 10:19:36 PM   
challenge

The Spec Ops squad destroyed the truck by kicking the tires. They also reported another reserve Armor cluster of Main Battle Tanks with engines at idle in the rear of the French advance.

Armor, armor evrywhere and not a one to dink.

Could you please move closer to my AT guns? Thank you.

Challenge

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 8
- 6/4/2002 3:37:45 AM   
Seagull

And here I thought I [COLOR=red]was[/COLOR] moving my armor closer to your AT weapons.

What a silly French person I am. :p

The Char 1b's are searching, but they are finding only pipsqueak armored cars to destroy.

Still, it gives them something to do. :D

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 9
- 6/4/2002 8:06:33 AM   
challenge

The AT crews are finally waking up enough to actually hit something. Scratch one AMR 33 and a pair of FCM 36s from the north group.

Artillery, on the other hand, is not nearly as effective. Each group from South to north was pounded with no reportable results. Most entertaining was the slaps of the turrets of the B1 bis groups in the center and souther central area.

A couple more infantry hit by infantry weapons.

Reports and requests for permission to drive the enemy back are met with admonissions of patience from Col Schwent. "They are already dead, they just don't know it -- yet.

Challenge

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 10
- 6/5/2002 2:09:16 AM   
Seagull

Requests for French artillery fire missions must be submitted in triplicate to High Command, for approval by General Gamelin. I understand that permission has been granted to shell suspected German positions at Arras. Unfortunately, Arras fell over two weeks ago :(

My infantry and armor (such as it is) in the woods to the north are too scared to move. At the end of the turn, however, they demonstrated their speed at retreat. I'm beginning to think that the motto of the French infantry is: 'Veni, vidi, vamoosi' :mad:

A couple of squads of spec ops have been eliminated from the backfield, and it looks as though another armored car or two has become a casualty on the Hun side.

The central VOs are now in French hands :D

On a slightly different note, I'm beginning to wonder how a match between France and Italy in June 1940 would go... would the winner be the first player to retreat all of his/her troops? :p

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 11
- 6/5/2002 5:35:58 AM   
challenge

The French have opted for the wide, thin front advance. In the center are two companies of heavy armor, while each flank has a platoon of infantry and support armor. Most of the North flank is gone, sone to be gone or running like hell for the rear areas. The sout flank seems to have vanished. a a bunch of legionaires and MG squads are clustered in a wood in the back. Defending something? Or just hiding?

I expect the reserve armor (another co of big tanks) will start forward soon. With the right (north) flank crumbling, my AT guns will get into the backfield soon.

Challenge

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 12
- 6/5/2002 7:41:57 AM   
Seagull

Southern VOs have been occupied by Char B1's of the valiant French army. :)

The less valiant infantry in the northern woods continues to hunt for truffles and avoid people wearing gray uniforms and carrying guns :(

One of the Char's poked it's turret over the hill by the southern VOs and found where all of the 88's have been hiding. Lost a Char and an FMC-2C to 88's; took out a PzIII with a Char :D :D

A few pot shots have been taken at an AT gun, another AC, and a few other Panzers. Looks like a shooting match will be erupting soon in the south.

i lIKE pZIIIs - tHEY dIE eASY! (sorry M4 Jess ;))

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 13
- 6/5/2002 9:43:06 AM   
challenge

The battle continues with the destruction of a few vehicles on both sides. The MDTs of the French lie burning in ruins, while a scout car or two and a PZ II bite the big one.

The French currently hold possession of the central VHs. But it remains to be seen whether they can be held without infantry.

Challenge

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 14
- 6/5/2002 6:48:24 PM   
Seagull

[QUOTE]Originally posted by challenge
[B]The French currently hold possession of the central VHs. But it remains to be seen whether they can be held without infantry. [/B][/QUOTE]

Infantry? We don't need no stinking infantry!

(Well, maybe a little... ;))

More vehicle losses on both sides, and another GE Spec Ops sqaud goes down in flames in my rear area. When will they learn that it is an unhealthy place for Huns? :D

The number of halftracks terrorizing my troops in the north woods has been reduced somewhat. Perhaps the French rifle squads might consider returning to the front. :rolleyes:

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 15
- 6/6/2002 8:13:32 AM   
Seagull

Another turn... we now have armor slugging it out face to face around the central VOs. StuG's and Char's missing each other at point-blank range :eek:

The noble French (routed or retreating) infantry in the northern woods seem to look up from their truffle search periodically and manage to close assault the odd halftrack. Astonishing! :rolleyes:

Hun infantry is being hustled up to the central hill; so is French infantry. Looks like a real shooting war is going to happen in the center of the map.

Now the superiority of the French military will make itself felt! :mad: :D

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 16
- 6/6/2002 8:16:15 AM   
Goblin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Seagull
[B]Now the superiority of the French military will make itself felt! :mad: :D [/B][/QUOTE]

What the F....?!? Seagulls really ARE birdbrained!;)

Goblin- A Goblin makes an observation:D

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 17
- 6/6/2002 8:27:08 AM   
Seagull

You'll notice I didn't say [COLOR=red]how[/COLOR] the superiority of the French military would make itself felt ;)

Seagull - A Seagull is pedantic

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 18
- 6/6/2002 8:37:47 AM   
Goblin

It was the whole 'superiority' thing that had me confused. I now understand that you were comparing yourself to the [I]Belgian [/I] army!

Goblin- A Goblin says Ahah!:p

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 19
- 6/6/2002 9:16:51 AM   
challenge

I have nothing but praise for the brave French soldiers dieing and running for their country. What actually surprised me was the tenacity of the French armor. The B1 bis is built like a tank (pun intended, of course). When they aren't running to get out from under the German Artillery, they put up a reasonable static defense -- meaning my shells bounce of resoundingly.;) :D

Challenge

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 20
- 6/8/2002 11:13:37 PM   
Seagull

Unfortunately, the Hun artillery continues to suppress and rout my Char B1 bis's :(

I lost a couple of trucks in the south, trying to carry some infantry to the hill.

On the plus side, the French forces have destroyed two armored cars, four Panzers, and some crewmen. :D :D

Hope springs eternal...

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 21
- 6/9/2002 6:08:28 AM   
challenge

This has not been one of the best few minutes of the German Army in France...

We lost more than we got. The only bright note in the artillery is proving anoying to the French and keeping the armor going in the wrong direction.

Whoever said the French were pushovers need to either rethink the situation, or play very early war battles. It seems, according to what I've seen, the tenacity of the armor is a difficult obsticle to overcome with low velocity 75s and 37mm guns.

Challenge

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 22
- 6/9/2002 7:47:29 AM   
Seagull

Char B1's continue to rout and head for home under the pressure of relentless German artillery. There appears to have been some successful Hun CB fire, too, since one of my OB 75mm batteries is in retreat. :eek: :(

The infantry in the north woods continues to surprise by knocking out more halftracks. Perhaps the truffles they've been searching for have given them courage. ;)

The Germans have lost another pair of 8-wheeled armored cars, two 3.7cm Flak units, and at least one more Panzer. :D :D

As an aside, some testing I'd conducted a while ago, matching up a force of Somua S35s against an equal number of PzIIIs in an open area showed that the French tanks kicked German a** :)

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 23
- 6/9/2002 8:38:24 PM   
challenge

It has become apparent that the French have collected every tank in the South of France, and probably a few from North Africa for this little sojern. There are what appears to be three companies of B1 bis, one or two of Char D2s and more mobile AT guns than the German high command believed still existed. The good news is that there is only one, maybe two, infantry comapnies on the front.

Most of the panzers being taken out are Pz IIe'swhich barely qualify as tanks, but there are enough of the Pz IIIs and IVs going down to be a concern when faced by these odds.

Colonel Schwendt has notified the high command that it looks like French have committed everything they have and may try to reach Paris with this advance.

Challenge

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 24
- 6/11/2002 6:43:35 PM   
Seagull

Yes, indeed, all available tanks in France and every French possession have been collected together for your viewing pleasure! ;)

The troops have been briefed on the differences between children's toys (Pz IIs) and real Panzers (IIIs and IVs) and have responded appropriately. They have knocked out two PzIVs and two StuGs this turn, along with an 8-rad and an HT. :D

The army of the Republique has, however, lost another truck or two and a pair of Char B1s. :( :mad:

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 25
Artillery sucks! - 6/12/2002 3:35:32 PM   
Seagull

Under the remorseless pressure of Hun artillery, the French forces in the south are all routed or in retreat. :(

Elsewhere, more bits of armor are lost on both sides of the line.

French infantry is once again attempting to put up a fight in the center. Unfortunately, once fired upon, they acquire massive suppression which is difficult to remove. :(

The only bright spot this turn is one of the Char B1's now has 5 kills, having knocked out it's second PzIV.

A counter attack has been launched against the forces of oppression lurking in the northern woodland. Maybe something will develop up there. If nothing else, it may force the Germans to divide their artillery among more targets, reducing the strain in the south.

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 26
- 6/15/2002 6:37:16 AM   
challenge

The armor and infantry of the glorious, German Army stands at the crest of the ridgelines running north-south through the field of battle. The French infantry carriers and trucks move forward lead by armor in a wave across the flat, clear terrain in front of them. Burnt hulks of both sides mark the advance point of both sides.

The wave of the French advance reaches the western edge of the ridge and breaks on the slope as the artillery pounding takes its toll on the poor attackers. It appears entire platoons are breaking to run, returning to their headquaters to turn in their resignation. ;)

Since my Panzers and AT guns (with the exception of the 88s which can't see anything to shoot at) can't seem to punch holes in many tanks, it has become an artillery battle. The only local high points is the SS Infantry squads taking out B1 bis tanks as they get in range of the AT rockets. An AC with a 20mm took a D2; there was much rejoicing by the crew until the taken out by two more of the behemothes.

The battle continues as Colonol Schwendt sees a glimmer of hope in the impressive display of artillery fire.

Challenge

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 27
- 6/18/2002 10:50:32 PM   
Seagull

The bright spot for the French is the sight of German troops in the northern woods fleeing for the border under attacks from Somuas and elements of the Legion Etrangere.

In the central and southern regions, however, German artillery continues to own me :(:(

The only thing I can do with the forces in these areas is watch them scurry for the retreat hexes at the end of my turn. :mad:

French armor is frustrating... between a low ROF and miserable accuracy, it's a miracle that they manage to hit anything at all.

I lose several tanks this turn, in exchange for another armored car and a halftrack of some species or other.

A sign of the times: a squad of mechanized infantry fires on a group of GE crewmen. A casualty is inflicted, after which the remaining crewmen return fire with miscellaneous small arms (at a 2% hit probability). The FR infantry takes 16 points of suppression. :eek:

Oh, well. C'est la guerre.

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 28
A good day in the north woods - 6/20/2002 7:07:32 PM   
Seagull

Legionnaires and Somuas continue to mop up German leg units in the trees to the north.

In the central and southern areas, shots are exchanged and some further armor losses inflicted on both sides. The French have lost another Char B and a couple of APC's; German losses include a Panzer flush... a II, a III, and a IV. :D

Attempts to suppress the 88's are inconclusive. I wish that my artillery was operating on the same calendar page as the rest of my troops. :(

(in reply to Seagull)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Opponents Wanted >> Seagull vs challenge France, June 1940 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI