Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: HOI3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: HOI3 Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HOI3 - 9/17/2009 3:12:11 AM   
philturco

I love strategy WW II games. Some of my past favorites were A World Divided but after playing 20 or so games you figure out what the winning strategy for both sides is and the thill and excitement is gone. The monster scenerios for TOAW 3 is the same.Lots of fun untill you figure out the winning strategy and all the games become the same. I'm looking for a new game.what do you guys think HOI 3 or something like WITP. Whats the replay value?

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 301
RE: HOI3 - 9/17/2009 5:03:39 AM   
Rosseau

Have you tried any of the SSG games like Korsun Pocket, et al. AI is among the best and replay value is forever with the Editors. If you like TOAW3 (what a great game), you may like those. Also Highway to the Reich, et al. So many, so little time...

(in reply to philturco)
Post #: 302
RE: HOI3 - 9/17/2009 3:27:58 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

I've been there, and it's really annoying.

Forgot what I did to finally get signed up, but it was worth it, as the downloads from some of the modders are key. Be sure to get the "99 Problems" graphics mod, despite the title! AI improvement pack is good too, provided you're into the game.

IIRC I had to wait a few hours for someone to look all my information over. Then I got an email saying I had been approved, and I wondered when the credit card would arrive. That's the way it seemed at least.

Seriously, I think a human visually goes over everything first. However its been years since I joined.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 9/17/2009 3:31:24 PM >

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 303
RE: HOI3 - 9/17/2009 6:08:11 PM   
Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bibbo

what do you guys think HOI 3 or something like WITP. Whats the replay value?

I own both titles, along with dozens of other wargames, but WitP AE beats everything else hands down. The replay value is infinite.

(in reply to philturco)
Post #: 304
RE: HOI3 - 9/18/2009 12:27:09 AM   
bairdlander2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bibbo

I love strategy WW II games. Some of my past favorites were A World Divided but after playing 20 or so games you figure out what the winning strategy for both sides is and the thill and excitement is gone. The monster scenerios for TOAW 3 is the same.Lots of fun untill you figure out the winning strategy and all the games become the same. I'm looking for a new game.what do you guys think HOI 3 or something like WITP. Whats the replay value?

I guess it's a personal choice.I like to mix things up with tactical and grand strategy.For tactical I would highly recommend Matrix's Close Combat series either Cross of Iron or The Longest Day.I havnt got WITP yet.I prefer eastern front so Im waiting for WitE.WITP deals with one theatre of operations,HOI series is worldwide.HOI3 is realley buggy right now,but not "unplayable".I would either get HOI anthology (you get HOI1,2 plus expansion packs) which is pretty good or wait for WitE.

< Message edited by bairdlander -- 9/18/2009 12:30:52 AM >

(in reply to philturco)
Post #: 305
RE: HOI3 - 10/2/2009 8:55:00 AM   
thunar

I am a fan of Matrix and Paradox titles, both, but the HOI3 release was awful.

For example, you have Fascist Japan devoting 95% of it's entire Industrial Output to Consumer Goods that makes it impossible to do more than build an infantry division at a time. This is with every policy and minister selected that reduces the focus on a civilian economy. When Marco Polo fires in '37, the Chinese actually rout the Japanese out of Manchuria in most games.

Ridiculous stuff, like the handful of US divisions being out-of-supply in Los Angeles when the US isn't even at war in 1936; fanboys saying that's because Eisenhower hadn't developed the interstate highway system yet (never heard of 'the golden spike' and apparently Stalin built an I-80 between Gorky and Vladivostok by 1936 to supply Zhukov on the Amur River). A Mexican D-day in 1940 near Calais; every nation joining the Allies by '38, including Finland... Switzerland joining the Comintern... just ridiculous, ludicrous results.

HOI games are fun for the big "What If" (What if Japan conquered China, left the DEI alone, and focused on electronics, nukes, and carriers?) but the way HOI3 plays out, it's more than ahistorical.

It's obvious that there was literally no beta testing, really the game is in Alpha. With the two patches, it's early Beta. EU3 and Rome were buggy on release but not totally broken like this game. I have every Paradox Title from EU1 to Rome:Vae Victus. HOI3 is like the MOO3 of WW2 gaming. And that's being too harsh on MOO3.

Did I mention that Stalingrad isn't on the Volga, but about 500km away?

The GOOD news, looks like Battle of Britain/Bombing the Reich just came out, so this weekend and for many weeks to come I'll be playing that instead of HOI3. Maybe in a year, with the expansion, HOI3 might be playable.

That's why I never mind waiting, a few months - err... another few Friedman Units for Matrix Games.

< Message edited by thunar -- 10/2/2009 9:17:28 AM >

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 306
RE: HOI3 - 10/2/2009 2:00:04 PM   
Greybriar

Today's (2 October 2009) HoI3 Patch 1.3 Information

quote:

ORIGINAL: Johan

Another week of development on the patch, and here is some of the latest things we've worked on.

- Alot of support done to make sure that usermods run properly.
- Another iteration of work on the weather algoritms, and they seem to be doing nicer now.
- Newly deployed units will now deploy at zero organisation.
- Fixed a few exploits when it comes to getting manpower for free.

and much other things.

If nothing major goes wrong, we're still on track to have a 1.3 out before november.

Here's hoping Hearts of Iron III will be fun to play in another month.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to thunar)
Post #: 307
RE: HOI3 - 10/2/2009 6:57:50 PM   
Zakhal

I dropped off from the paradox bandwagon. Their series seem to go absolutely nowhere. Ok ill see the victoria and then I will call the quits.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 308
RE: HOI3 - 10/18/2009 2:21:46 PM   
Olorin

HoI3 was prematurely released. It was more like a public beta version. After two patches the game has become moderately playable. A third patch is on the way and probably a fourth after that. If you ask me, HoI3 has followed the usual development path of all Paradox titles.

I loved HoI 1&2 and I think the third installation has got HUGE potential that is slowly starting to emerge from one patch to the next.

Aspects I like: huge map, many many provinces, command hierarchy
Aspects I detest: attack delay when you have planned an offensive through the use of shift+click feature.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 309
RE: HOI3 - 10/18/2009 4:49:15 PM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

I dropped off from the paradox bandwagon. Their series seem to go absolutely nowhere. Ok ill see the victoria and then I will call the quits.

Why will Victoria 2 be different ?

Being a wargamer (board 'n PC ) I have become extremely patience with release dates , therefore I will never purchase many new releases from a couple of publishers that have repeatedly pull the same bait ‘n switch on some rushed out half done unplayable out of box upon release.

Let the fan-boys pay to beta I’ll pick it up in the bin for $9 fully patched ……………8)

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 310
RE: HOI3 - 10/18/2009 6:54:34 PM   
bairdlander2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olorin

Aspects I detest: attack delay when you have planned an offensive through the use of shift+click feature.

attack delay can be lessened significantly by researching techs.

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 311
RE: HOI3 - 10/18/2009 7:28:38 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge
Being a wargamer (board 'n PC ) I have become extremely patience with release dates , therefore I will never purchase many new releases from a couple of publishers that have repeatedly pull the same bait ‘n switch on some rushed out half done unplayable out of box upon release.

Let the fan-boys pay to beta I’ll pick it up in the bin for $9 fully patched ……………8)

Contrary to your thoughts, I do buy on release from some companies. I'm not a fanboy and I won't take offense to your suggestion

The reason I buy on release? To help you pick it up for $9 down the road. Seriously though, the reason I will buy a Paradox game out the gate is because I know they will fix it. It's about giving them some capital for their efforts...kind of like a little financial gee up. If it helps to keep them in business, then fine. They do make great games. Crap out the gate, but ultimately great.

If me buying on release helps them make more games in the future, then that's fine by me. If it helps you pick the game up for $9, then that's just the cherry on the cake for me.

If, on the other hand, it was a company who threw games out the door and didn't fix them...well they can take the lonely ride down the river. I wouldn't touch their stuff. Probably one reason why EA Sports have almost gone exclusively to console. I wouldn't touch their stuff. Half baked games and no patching policy made me stop buying them years ago.

That's my little take on the matter.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 312
RE: HOI3 - 10/18/2009 8:35:31 PM   
Widell

Well put! When you put it that way, I think I do like you do to! At least with Paradox :-)

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 313
RE: HOI3 - 10/18/2009 10:42:32 PM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Contrary to your thoughts, I do buy on release from some companies. I'm not a fanboy and I won't take offense to your suggestion

The reason I buy on release? To help you pick it up for $9 down the road. Seriously though, the reason I will buy a Paradox game out the gate is because I know they will fix it. It's about giving them some capital for their efforts...kind of like a little financial gee up. If it helps to keep them in business, then fine. They do make great games. Crap out the gate, but ultimately great.

If me buying on release helps them make more games in the future, then that's fine by me. If it helps you pick the game up for $9, then that's just the cherry on the cake for me.

If, on the other hand, it was a company who threw games out the door and didn't fix them...well they can take the lonely ride down the river. I wouldn't touch their stuff. Probably one reason why EA Sports have almost gone exclusively to console. I wouldn't touch their stuff. Half baked games and no patching policy made me stop buying them years ago.

Thanks Judge you’re one swell guy ……………

PS/edit: any chance your ordering up NTW early ...
I'm looking forward to that one.

< Message edited by Sarge -- 10/18/2009 10:48:28 PM >

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 314
RE: HOI3 - 10/18/2009 11:09:42 PM   
06 Maestro

I have to admit that I was a little disappointed in the condition of the game at release. I have two other P.I titles, but neither were bought at release, so I missed all the initial problems. Still, I can't say I wasn't warned; there were plenty of posts saying it would be wise to hold off for a few months/a patch or two.

I have not had the stability problems that many had experience, but the game has quite a few loose ends. Some of those have already been fixed, and a few more in the 1.3 patch. Even with some out of whack sections, I do not regret that I purchased it early. When the next patch arrives, I will be ready for a real game. It appears that P.I. is not only fixing a few glitches, but is also implementing changes suggested by players to streamline a couple of things. I suspect they are doing their best with what they have, and, if their past performance can be used as a guide, this game will not be abandoned by them, but continually improved.

There are some great new aspects to the new game. In time, I think it will be a great strategy game. Hopefully, that time will be in a month or less.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 315
RE: HOI3 - 10/18/2009 11:19:16 PM   
JudgeDredd

Napoleon Total War? Probably not. I bought Empire Total War and although it's nice and sexy, it's not really grabbed me. I never really got into the strategic element of those games and the tactical side, though beautiful, wears off.

And I know I mentioned your $9 remark, but I wasn't being sarcastic. Each to their own. It actually makes financial sense to hold out on games until a few months down the road. Not only for the patches, but see what other people are saying. But financially I'm in a place where I can "waste" money on releases. Maybe Paradox and other developers target losers like me, I don't know.

In the particular case of this game and this developer, the scrolling was so bad I've probably used it for no more than 2 or 3 hours since I bought it, but it really isn't a big deal to me...they will fix it and it will be a great game. I (and many other suckers) just gave them a financial boost. I don't really know if they need it or not, but I like their games and I'd like them to stay in business.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 316
RE: HOI3 - 10/19/2009 9:18:31 AM   
killroyishere

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Thanks Judge you’re one swell guy ……………

PS/edit: any chance your ordering up NTW early ...
I'm looking forward to that one.

Yes me too thanks Judge buy several please so the price comes down faster. Thing is Paradox games seem to come down pretty fast so the wait isn't usually very long. The Total War games do tend to hold at $29.99 for a long while though after the $40-$50 initial cost price range. I got both RTW/Gold and M2TW/Gold well under fifteen bucks used. To bad Matrixgames hardly ever have any of these kinds of bargains I'd own a library of them as well. I did got several out of Poland though for great prices like SPWAW:Generals edition for $25, WitP for $25, Tin Soldiers:Caesar for $7, Advanced Tactics for $15, got Panzer Command Winter Storm for $7 and Panzer Command Kharkov for FREE! That guy in Poland was even nice enough to pay for the shipping and registered mail at that. He's gone now unfortunately

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 317
RE: HOI3 - 10/19/2009 10:26:26 AM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: thunar
HOI3 is like the MOO3 of WW2 gaming. And that's being too harsh on MOO3.

Ouch!

(in reply to thunar)
Post #: 318
RE: HOI3 - 10/19/2009 11:08:21 AM   
Olorin

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

quote:

attack delay can be lessened significantly by researching techs.

I know, but still I am not happy with this feature. I repeat, only when you shift+click, when you plan a series of multiple, consecutive attacks. Otherwise the feature is realistic.

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 319
RE: HOI3 - 11/21/2009 5:12:36 PM   
06 Maestro

Feel their pain. Here is a guy who bad mouths the game, but he does not own it. He also compares the game unfavorably to another game which he also apparently does not own-even though its his "favorite".

Folks that have been around here for 3 or more years may recognize a familiar name in this thread-same style, but different tactics; hit and run.

So, its another locked thread, but I can't really say that I blame them. Check it out.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444130&page=4

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 320
RE: HOI3 - 11/22/2009 9:58:58 PM   
Widell

For the sake of all that is sane in an insane world! Whatever Paradox may (or may not) have done, the ride those mods have in front of them is most likely not what they deserve!

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 321
RE: HOI3 - 11/25/2009 8:52:45 AM   
Obsolete

quote:

I dropped off from the paradox bandwagon.

That company seems to have done everything in its power to keep me from even getting ON the damned bandwagon.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 322
RE: HOI3 - 11/25/2009 10:08:31 AM   
killroyishere

Lol Obsolete. At least go make yourself a forum name and post some derogative about the games release state. You won't be a member long afterwards. I've never seen so many deleted threads and banned members on one forum in my life. In all honesty Paradox deserves to be taught a lesson. You can't treat your customer base so and expect a return of profit afterwards. Johan has gone so far as to say Creative Assembly game ETW has no ai and then called another forumite an idiot in a public thread. A well respected member of the Wargamer.com forum in fact.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 323
RE: HOI3 - 11/25/2009 11:10:39 AM   
String

quote:

ORIGINAL: killroyishere

Lol Obsolete. At least go make yourself a forum name and post some derogative about the games release state. You won't be a member long afterwards. I've never seen so many deleted threads and banned members on one forum in my life. In all honesty Paradox deserves to be taught a lesson. You can't treat your customer base so and expect a return of profit afterwards. Johan has gone so far as to say Creative Assembly game ETW has no ai and then called another forumite an idiot in a public thread. A well respected member of the Wargamer.com forum in fact.

Been naughty and been banned, have we?

With every new release of HoI the forums at paradox have been flooded with nazi/commie fanboys, idiots whining about idiotic issues, your usual spammers, pirates whining about bugs before the game is even released (less than usual with HOI3) and all sorts of general garbage. No wonder the few consctructive criticism posts are rooted out with it.

And despite the slander I see here and on a select few other forums, I still see the paradox fanbase grow.

edit: The amount of game/gaming company fanboyism on the internet is astounding really. I've been on the receiving end of a flaming on the SPW@W forums here because I had a WitP sig.. and my first contact with Matrix Games was playing SPW@W...

Go figure

< Message edited by String -- 11/25/2009 11:13:57 AM >

Surface combat TF fanboy

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 324
RE: HOI3 - 11/25/2009 12:38:04 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

HoI3 was prematurely released ...

There seems to be a lot of that going around lately; it's like paying to be a B-tester!

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 325
RE: HOI3 - 11/25/2009 2:59:11 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

That company seems to have done everything in its power to keep me from even getting ON the damned bandwagon.

Well put. I've had a lot of fun with EU2 and EU3, but this HOI3 should have been much better.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 11/25/2009 3:00:22 PM >

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 326
RE: HOI3 - 11/25/2009 10:42:15 PM   
Obsolete

quote:

At least go make yourself a forum name and...

To be clear, I had some questions and was trying to give Paradox a chance despite all the negative things I heard about them.  After going through many hoops & barrels, and waiting forever, it became apparent it is IMPOSSIBLE to even sign up for a simple forum account to ask the simplest of questions.

As I said, I didn't even a chance to get OFF the bandwagon, since they are bent up on refusing people to get on-board in the first place.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 327
RE: HOI3 - 11/26/2009 5:42:14 AM   
String

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

quote:

At least go make yourself a forum name and...

To be clear, I had some questions and was trying to give Paradox a chance despite all the negative things I heard about them.  After going through many hoops & barrels, and waiting forever, it became apparent it is IMPOSSIBLE to even sign up for a simple forum account to ask the simplest of questions.

As I said, I didn't even a chance to get OFF the bandwagon, since they are bent up on refusing people to get on-board in the first place.

What the? .. I'm afraid I must decend into the internet meme land and say "you're doing it wrong"

Surface combat TF fanboy

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 328
RE: HOI3 - 11/26/2009 11:56:38 AM   
D.Ilse

Just picked it up yesterday for the 4 day weekend..patched it, and started a german campaign..without reading any of the turt..geez it's complex compared to HOI2(not that, that is bad) but it's def different..I am not sure how I like the Division setups in the game, I kinda like the idea of Regiment/Brigades inside a division, I haven't even looked at the whole map yet..I haven't looked at Europe completely yet..the map is just woah, if with it's problems at this point.

Modded this game could be a true gem, def. Esp in a grog grudgematch. Now we just wait for the lump of coal to turn into a diamond.

Well Matrix's sale might give me something else to doodle my noodle, while this one gets spit and polished up.

on a side note, HOI3 least made my lazy butt update my vid driver..which I hadn't done in a long while.

< Message edited by D.Ilse -- 11/26/2009 11:57:46 AM >

(in reply to String)
Post #: 329
RE: HOI3 - 11/26/2009 11:00:25 PM   
Arctic Blast

By the way, for anyone who wants to grab it to play or in hopes it gets fixed, it's 75% off as part of Direct2Drive's Thanksgiving sale.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: HOI3 Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI