Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: HOI3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: HOI3 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HOI3 - 8/4/2009 8:14:08 PM   
JudgeDredd

GG is going to be ready for 7th I heard. Steam 14th (I think?)

By the way, the demo is out.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 31
RE: HOI3 - 8/4/2009 10:16:48 PM   
Historiker

First impression:

Awesome! If stable, it'll be quite some fun for sure.
Let's see how much sleep I'll get playing it tonight...

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 32
RE: HOI3 - 8/4/2009 10:41:24 PM   
doomtrader

90% of the people at polish forum says the game is lagging. Very much.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 33
RE: HOI3 - 8/4/2009 10:55:47 PM   
Lützow

My first impression about HoI 3 demo:

It's a mixed bag. Some stuff is better as in the predecessor, some is worse and for some, well, one needs getting used to, I suppose. However, I can't complain about performance, runs smooth in 1920x1200, and the AI does a decent job at first glance.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 34
RE: HOI3 - 8/4/2009 11:15:05 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

First impression:

Awesome! If stable, it'll be quite some fun for sure.
Let's see how much sleep I'll get playing it tonight...

Not entirely sure at the moment. Stuff is happening all over the place. Poland is VERY aggressive (challenging - good thing) but it's very very time consuming and quite click festy...I'm having trouble keeping up and I only have 2 arrows on the speed level (about an hour every 2 seconds by the look of it)

I'm having difficulty with what units are in what regions (how many units/formations etc) and simply selecting all and moving at the moment, but I guess that will come with time. I'm also having trouble with units because only the very zoomed in levels can you see "stacks". Saying that, it'll be a case of "understanding" the interface...I like the scaling of the counters.

France is banging on the front door whilst I'm pre-occupied with Poland. Even landed a unit in North Germany?? Taking quite a few regions away from me also, but that's because I'm not "playing" properly at the mo - so not really trying to stop them.

The game is laggy, but I did have AA up to 8 sampling - so I turned it down - it needed a restart for it to take effect, so I haven't tried to see if it helped by reducing it. Map was difficult to scroll because of the lag - one minute I was moving smoothly - next minute not at all and then BAM - went waaaay north (or South, East, West - whichever way I was moving).

Found all the messages as annoying as ever and need to reset alot of them.

Looks great and AI does seem to be putting up a fight. I was in end of October and still had only taken the first few regions away from the Polish front line...course I have no idea wth I'm doing, so it might just be my style that's bad!

All the interface stuff is going to take a while to get used to. Overall the game looks alot better. Hopefully the lag will go away.

I will definitely be getting it - it looks a whol lot better than HoI2 (which I simply couldn't get over being locked at 1024x768 and made the text difficult to read) and I deliberately haven't re-installed HoI2 since I rebuilt my system because I knew this was coming...haven't pre-ordered though...might get it from Amazon or Play.com - but have to wait another week or two from them. GG wwill only come with a PDF being download as will Steam - and I want a manual for this puppy.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 35
RE: HOI3 - 8/4/2009 11:18:31 PM   
oldspec4

I played HoI 1 at release and skipped HoI 2 entirely. Thought I'd download demo for kicks and grins to see if any major gameplay improvements.

I had the demo CTD everytime i tried to load likely due to my old hardware and 128 mb video card.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 36
RE: HOI3 - 8/5/2009 3:34:55 AM   
yoshino

I think that wargames are unnecessary to 3D graphics unit at all!
Especially "Ugly" and be very highly requires PC spec for run.
There are many many beautiful and informational 2D grapics on wargames (such as AGEOD's titles).

I'll pass it.I Play Witp AE which was bought a few days ago.

< Message edited by yoshino -- 8/5/2009 10:14:19 AM >

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 37
RE: HOI3 - 8/5/2009 3:46:40 AM   
mllange

I downloaded the demo while planning my WITP AE strategy as I like to have a break between WITP turns - the ol noggin needs a break now and then.

HOI3 is in many ways a very different game - for the better in my opinion. Once you get used to the Group > Army > Corp > Division management structure, it is sweet! Makes managing the war on several fronts a breeze. No more trying to micro-manage the movement and control of brigade or division level units (unless I want to). I'll take advantage of the leader bonuses and let the AI work with me to handle many of the details (when I want it to).

I haven't delved deeply into any other aspect of the game yet, it took me a while to get the hang of the organization changes, but I am impressed by what I see at this point. I didn't ever get to where I liked HOI2, even though I purchased both of the expansions (I did try!). This one could very well be a keeper for me. Something to compliment my new love of WITP AE (all over again). I'm impressed by both games!

There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 38
RE: HOI3 - 8/5/2009 5:06:14 AM   
bairdlander2

Played the demo this evening as well.My system had minimum specs and didnt realley see any lag.The game seems quite challenging and it is refreshing to see the AI (Poland and France) actually trying to attack Germany.In HOI1 and 2 that never happened.The interface is different and the new aspects will take some time,basically have to unlearn all things from HOI1 and 2.But overall glad I preordered though I would be dissapointed if I didnt like the demo.

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 39
RE: HOI3 - 8/5/2009 8:49:55 AM   
Joram

Tried the demo.  I had HOI but skipped HOI2 as well.  Overall I had mixed feelings about it.  First, I don't really like the sprites, it's hard to describe why but just seemed 'thin'.  I played at native resolution (1680x1050) so maybe that had something to do with it.  The counters were plain but functional.  I never figured out what the numbers meant on them though lol.  I'm guessing one's movement.

I like the design your own division feature.  Very cool.  I like the myriad of options with technology, espionage and political goals, both internal and external.  Production is very straightforward once you get used to designing your own divisions.  I also like the very open ended nature of the game so far. 

As Germany, I attacked Poland and at first individually ordered every division.  While doable it got quite frantic at times especially when the AI decided to counterattack.  I imagine this would be unmanageable with larger armies at which time I discovered the very beautiful mechanic of setting objectives by headquarters.  Very slick, you can set it by corps, army, and higher echelons too and it will automatically move to the objective.  This alleviated my concerns with this aspect.  It's not clear quite how smart it is yet (i.e. will it use air assets too).   Not sure how good overall AI is either.  I was able to conquer Poland by early October but that's not a complaint, just something you can measure against.  It was my first time, very late at night and it didn't seem too hard though the AI did put in a few good counterattacks, it even won a battle lol!

I didn't like the tutorial.  It was actually kind of funny in the way it was written but was otherwise next to useless.  It didn't tell me howto do anything.  Only, this is the diplo screen, this is the technology screen, etc.  Well, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but even I can figure that out by pressing the shiny buttons.

I thought there was a way to coordinate attacks like in old HOI but I couldn't figure it out (admittedly haven't spent a whole lot of time yet).  The airwar seemed very hectic to me.  Guess this is the RTS-hating side of me coming out.  If you are good at RTS games, you probably won't mind it at all.  At least pausing is easily done.

I had no lag at all though my settings were only at the default.

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 40
RE: HOI3 - 8/5/2009 10:46:15 AM   
JudgeDredd

Someone is reporting when they changed from counters to sprites, the lag went. Others have said slowing down scrool speed helped.

I've yet to try my theory on the AA setting - AA settings notoriously slow down games - but I never really thought it would matter in a top down counter based wargame

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 41
RE: HOI3 - 8/5/2009 1:19:49 PM   
vonRocko

Can anyone tell me about the game speed? Can orders be given while paused? How slow can I make it?
Thank you.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 42
RE: HOI3 - 8/5/2009 1:24:48 PM   
Joram

Yes, you can give orders while paused.  The first setting is very slow but the second speed setting while slow may still be a bit fast if a lot of action is going on.  However, like all the games with this engine, you can customize the popup messages to pause the game if you feel it's important enough to do so.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 43
RE: HOI3 - 8/5/2009 2:28:39 PM   
bairdlander2

The hq aspect was meant to be realistic.You have army hq,corp hq and division hq.This was so players didnt have to micromanage every division.You can assign objectives to your army hq and they will follow said objective.As for lag issues try not using sprites,remove trees and advanced water.A patch will be released on Friday.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 44
RE: HOI3 - 8/5/2009 4:26:09 PM   
JudgeDredd

LOL - TREES? I never saw any trees! And what exactly does advanced water do anyway? Look like...? What? I mean, the map is 2D isn't it? I couldn't move around the way I could with Vae Victus.

Post #: 45
RE: HOI3 - 8/5/2009 4:47:00 PM   
doomtrader

If you play with counters then the map is 2D if with sprites, then you can move around as it works like 3D

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 46
RE: HOI3 - 8/5/2009 7:48:37 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

does anyone plan on getting HOI3?I've already pre ordered.

I won't. I tried HOI 1 for about an hour and realized it wasn't my cup of tea. I wanted to give it a more complete try but the area movement and real time nature of it more or less turned me off.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 47
RE: HOI3 - 8/5/2009 7:57:48 PM   
pvthudson01

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

quote:

does anyone plan on getting HOI3?I've already pre ordered.

I won't. I tried HOI 1 for about an hour and realized it wasn't my cup of tea. I wanted to give it a more complete try but the area movement and real time nature of it more or less turned me off.

Ditto, I also hate the combat in this game.

Matrix Member since 2003!

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 48
RE: HOI3 - 8/5/2009 10:10:38 PM   
AttuWatcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: yoshino

I think that wargames are unnecessary to 3D graphics unit at all!
Especially "Ugly" and be very highly requires PC spec for run.
There are many many beautiful and informational 2D grapics on wargames (such as AGEOD's titles).

I totally agree.
The only thing I would like to see someday is maybe battle animations played out in a 3d replay like WITP+IL2 Strumovik, both engines in one game.
But ofcourse the battle animations would be totally optional and not disturb the beautiful simplicity of the 2d map.

(in reply to yoshino)
Post #: 49
RE: HOI3 - 8/5/2009 11:47:47 PM   
JudgeDredd

The one thing that seemed to help with the lag for me was reducing the scroll speed to less than half - worked a treat - no more lag.

(in reply to AttuWatcher)
Post #: 50
RE: HOI3 - 8/6/2009 12:17:46 AM   
bairdlander2

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

LOL - TREES? I never saw any trees! And what exactly does advanced water do anyway? Look like...? What? I mean, the map is 2D isn't it? I couldn't move around the way I could with Vae Victus.

tress are forest vegetation when you zoom in full,advanced water is the waves moving and crashing into coastal area

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 51
RE: HOI3 - 8/6/2009 3:28:05 AM   
06 Maestro

I tried out the demo last night. I was surprised at how different the game actually is from HoI2 DD. I did not experience any of the lag issues-ran fine for me.

This was/is a "must buy" for me. The only question is; do I buy now or after the 1st patch?

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 52
RE: HOI3 - 8/6/2009 4:26:01 AM   
bairdlander2

A patch will be released when the game is on Friday.It has potential but is going to need a lot of patches,the map is pretty screwed up.Look at Canada,USA as one example.On political mapmode parts of Canada are USA colour and vise versa.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 53
RE: HOI3 - 8/6/2009 7:14:17 AM   
geozero

HOI 3 is really a very different game than HOI and HOI 2 + it's various add-ons.

I played the demo, and the map looks beautiful with tremendous detail and many more areas/provinces than before. You really have to work much harder at this game. The game runs smoothly for me with no lag and I still have an old P4 system.

I realize that this game will not be for everyone, but the amount of detail, and replayability will beat any other comparable game out there. Will there be bugs? Of course. All games do and need patching. No amount of beta testing will catch everything. Get real.

The AI is tough too. France will atatck in the west. The Poles will put up a stiff resistence. You will have a hard time wiping Poland out in 3 weeks, even at easy settings. You can now assign AI to handle mundane tasks like trades or technology research. You can change that anytime. You can develop customized divisions. There's all kinds of stuff you can do if you want to micro manage or let the computer do it for you so you can just fight the war, this will be very handy for the Allies in their convoys, which was a pain to manage in prior HOI games.

This game is so far different than any other HOI game, it really should not warrant a comparison. The demo is free. Play it and then decide. The price is right too. Under $40 USD.

Don't know about you, but I've got it on order... :)

< Message edited by geozero -- 8/6/2009 7:16:49 AM >

JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.

Post #: 54
RE: HOI3 - 8/6/2009 7:24:29 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

tress are forest vegetation when you zoom in full,advanced water is the waves moving and crashing into coastal area

That isn't exactly what I'm seeing in the game - I think you're exercising your right to use "artistic licence" there!

But it does look very good. As GeoZero mentioned above, the map is good looking and has ALOT of provinces to look after - opens up the "tactical" options alot more. And last night I was learning the HQ stuff (very, very nice - although if over used, you can end up with overkill whilst mopping up). Also last night I switched off the popups telling me I was being attacked and completely neglected the West...by the time I had conquered Poland in mid October, France had almost marched to Berlin!

Great stuff.

Post #: 55
RE: HOI3 - 8/6/2009 8:58:03 AM   
Joram

I tried it again late last night.  Realized I had played on easy before and set it back to 'normal'.  Let the AI control a bunch of aspects like diplomacy, politics and intelligence.  Not sure if I liked the result as whatever it was doing seemed to severely limit my ICs.

Also decided to try to set objectives by HQ instead of ordering each individual division.   Had mixed results.  Was able to capture Warsaw and a couple key cities within a couple weeks but still hadn't forced Poland to surrender.  I noticed that it's army was largely intact so maybe that had something to do with it.  I set orders at the 'Army' (XXXX) level, maybe I need to do it at the corps level (XXX) for better results.  I didn't see the armies using air assets so I set those up myself.

What I didn't particularly care for was that out west I was getting absolutely annihilated by the French army.  They had busted through my lines and were on their way to Berlin well within a month!  Also, Britain had invaded Kiel and after beating off a meager counterattack, landed a major force.   I think I know how to ward off the British invasion but I'm at a bit of a loss how to hold back the French juggernaut.  I don't think I could send troops to the west fast enough even if I did it right at the start!  If this is 'reality' then I think I'll pass.

Will give it one more shot though to see what happens.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 56
RE: HOI3 - 8/6/2009 9:33:22 AM   
jomni

There is blatant distortion in the HOI3 map.  Cities and rivers are all in the wrong places. This may affect the strategies and tactics needed to play and you can't reenact history in a map like this.  This is probably the effect of adding more and more provinces.   they increased the 2000 provinces to 10000. They could have made it hex based already.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416221

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 57
RE: HOI3 - 8/6/2009 9:37:04 AM   
JudgeDredd

I think the whole point of Hearts of Iron is not reality. That's the way I've always seen it. I've never viewed it as a "simulation" of the Second World War - more a "what ifs". Besides - and this may be for another topic - did France not have the ability to go for it - they just choose not to? I mean, with Germanys forces mostly tied up in the East? Surely that's what gave Germany the ability to wage war so quickly? Blitzkreig yes - but only because the Allies allowed Blitzkreig to happen?

If Germany had been attack by the French (and I was pretty sure the French were capable in number and equipment - just not as veteran), Germany would've surely had to send troops back from the East, thus forestalling their invasion of the East - ergo Blitzkreig wouldn't quite have been as "blitz" as it actually turned out to be?

Anyway - all that aside - I'm happy to see France on the Offensive. I think they could've and perhaps should've been. Besides, on a strategic scale, it makes you make tough choices - continue the fast war in the East, or send an Army back to help contain France and go slow over Poland.

I like it

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 58
RE: HOI3 - 8/6/2009 9:41:46 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

There is blatant distortion in the HOI3 map.  Cities and rivers are all in the wrong places. This may affect the strategies and tactics needed to play and you can't reenact history in a map like this.  This is probably the effect of adding more and more provinces.   they increased the 2000 provinces to 10000. They could have made it hex based already.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416221

I know HoI3 is meant to be historical with regard to the "era" - but is HoI3 (HoI series) meant to be "historical" in the sense of re-enacting what happened? I already know what happened - so re-enacting it isn't going to be much fun. Where exactly is the fun in playing as Germany knowing your war will end in 1945? HoI3 (the HoI series) for me isn't about re-enacting history - it's about trying to change it.

Anyway - I'm not trying to convince you or Joram. You have your opinions and it isn't your cup of tea - that's cool. Just pointing out that HoI is not about re-enacting history.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 59
RE: HOI3 - 8/6/2009 9:54:26 AM   
doomtrader

And all the threads about mistakes in the map are closed.
And they didn't correct anything what was pointed months ago.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: HOI3 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI