Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: HOI3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: HOI3 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HOI3 - 8/16/2009 7:39:38 PM   
Torplexed

quote:

ORIGINAL: RHoenig

Sorry, but I just read this at Pdox´ forum and I couldn´t resist

quote:

pearl harbor captured! by germany!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so i was browsing through the diplomacy screen and I paused for a minute when I noticed that the US had some surrender points, a whole 1.7% of its national cities occupied.

i was surprised, but figured 'ok this is the german AI landing in NY'... so i look all over mainland USA, nothing. I check alaska, nothing. I think maybe the caribbean or panama? nope!

so then i skim over into the pacific, and to my surprise PH is occupied by germany!

some few game weeks earlier I had seen the GER bismarck fleet in the dutch east indies, i thought they were helping me out. guess the AI had an alterior motive.

i've been delaying joining the axis war against the allies because of pearl, so i suppose i should be thankful of the AI

Must be the Animal House scenario. Bluto is vindicated.

"Over? Did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, no."

(in reply to RHoenig)
Post #: 211
RE: HOI3 - 8/16/2009 7:42:49 PM   
Hard Sarge

Hi Joram

I think you got a great game on your hands, down the road, impressed with the AI, I would be willing to say, alot of complaints about what is not correct, were missed because of work in other areas

my biggest fault right now for playing a game, is I have been a Alpha/Beta tester for too long, so even when I play a game for enjoyment, I am looking at it for bugs/mistakes

even with all my complaints, I enjoyed playing it, and it has a good, lets wait till the next tech/build is done, before I quit

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 212
RE: HOI3 - 8/16/2009 9:39:59 PM   
Joram

Well Hard Sarge, my biggest worry really is the somewhat fantasy nature of the game. I've only done the demo but in it I was completely blown out by France while I was occupied in Poland (as the Germans). It's one thing if I start in 1936 and make completely different choices to lead up to that point but it's another to start in 1939 where that would not have been possible in the least. I could care little (though the Stalingrad one made me laugh) about the map issues to be honest but being so far apart from the real WW2 parameters has me worried. One thing I would like to see is if all else was equal, if you started in 1936, and made historical decision, how would you compare in 1939 to what really happened. If it's not particularly close, then it may be a bit too fantasy for me.

Note that nowhere am I complaining about making different decisions leading to different outcomes. Duh, that's what is attractive about the game but if making historical decisions leads to completely different results, then it just makes me believe the whole thing is out of whack and I can get a fantasy game anywhere.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 213
RE: HOI3 - 8/16/2009 9:52:01 PM   
Hard Sarge

well, remember, the French did march on Germany, made there statement, and then stopped, if they had felt the Germans were weak enough, it may of been a major effort, and the English/French resaction in Norway was very strong

so, there is still enough, it could of happened

(that Norway one is very interesting, if the Germans hadn't of be so quick on there toes and got off there attack when they did, the French and English were on there way to do it themselfs (reason there reaction was so quick !, they were already on the way) and if they had done that, it almost keeps the U.S. out of the war, Germany would not of been seen as the Great Evil that had to be stopped, but just another of those silly wars

it may be a bad setup for a demo or the 39 Campaign to start right when the war does, if the West is too weak to defend, it may be the Germans are too strong in the East

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 214
RE: HOI3 - 8/18/2009 5:44:34 AM   
devoncop

Hi all.

To add my two pence worth (or 2 cents for our US viewers!)........ I think the demo was poorly chosen and the game itself,even as it is now is perfectly playable and a real sandbox global simulation. I have been playing the 1936 scenario as Japan and having a ball.

No, it ain't WITP AE which I am getting acclimatised to (slowly) but in its own way it has a lot to offer and has real depth.I would not hesitate to recommend the game as someone who loves Matrix offerings and who did not get on with Paradox's "Rome" offering at all.

Best wishes

Ian

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 215
RE: HOI3 - 8/18/2009 7:19:16 AM   
CheddarLover74

quote:

ORIGINAL: devoncop

Hi all.

To add my two pence worth (or 2 cents for our US viewers!)........ I think the demo was poorly chosen and the game itself,even as it is now is perfectly playable and a real sandbox global simulation. I have been playing the 1936 scenario as Japan and having a ball.

No, it ain't WITP AE which I am getting acclimatised to (slowly) but in its own way it has a lot to offer and has real depth.I would not hesitate to recommend the game as someone who loves Matrix offerings and who did not get on with Paradox's "Rome" offering at all.

Best wishes

Ian

Does Japan ever launch a Pacific offensive in this newest incarnation of the game?

I remember in the first two that they never did leaving the US to have to declare war and suffering the economic and industrial hits.

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 216
RE: HOI3 - 8/18/2009 9:16:12 AM   
Widell

Well, one can talk about map- and historical accuracy issues and buggy vs WAD game play, but right now there's a fair number of computers on which the game won't even start (including my very own of course). I am a great fan of Paradox in general and HoI in particular, so I'm sure they will "fix" this. Question is when? The whole situation is pretty bad as there are paying customers unable to even launch the game! I would be stressed to pieces if I was the person in charge of that project :-)

(in reply to CheddarLover74)
Post #: 217
RE: HOI3 - 8/18/2009 1:36:21 PM   
Greybriar

Am I the only one who actually liked the Tutorial? I thought it was amusing.

Hearts of Iron III still has problems. I am waiting for the 1.2 patch before I devote much time to it.

Edit: Changed wording from demo to Tutorial.

< Message edited by Greybriar -- 8/18/2009 7:25:20 PM >

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 218
RE: HOI3 - 8/18/2009 1:41:49 PM   
devoncop

Hi,

Well I cant comment personally as I am playing Japan so the fact that "yep, i have launched offensives" probably isnt what you are asking but from the look of the AAR's on the HOI3 forum the answer is "yes" and with the imminent patch which addresses the Consumer Goods requirement problem Japan will gain more strength.

Best wishes
Ian

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to CheddarLover74)
Post #: 219
RE: HOI3 - 8/18/2009 2:15:16 PM   
Hard Sarge

well, as I said in my game, I had 3 US landings going on at the same time, and it looked like a English one was trying to be made, plus I have had a few NZ/Aussie landing in the north trying to tie me down

so, yea, looks like the AI can do landings now

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 220
RE: HOI3 - 8/18/2009 6:24:14 PM   
Widell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar
Am I the only one who actually liked the demo? I thought it was amusing.

Hearts of Iron III still has problems. I am waiting for the 1.2 patch before I devote much time to it.

I didn't even get the demo. Knew I'd like it anyhow. Just slightly more frustrated compared to the usual when the bl**dy thing won't even start! But, it'll work in due time...... I hope....

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 221
RE: HOI3 - 8/18/2009 6:43:19 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Widell
I didn't even get the demo. Knew I'd like it anyhow. Just slightly more frustrated compared to the usual when the bl**dy thing won't even start! But, it'll work in due time...... I hope....

There are some tips at PI from other users that have helped some players make the game run better. There are a couple that were sticky-ed. You need to have the game registered to see the tech pages.

The game runs fine for me, but I'm still putting it on the back burner until the patch. There are a few things that just do not seem right. No point in struggling with it if it is going to be changed in a couple of weeks.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 222
RE: HOI3 - 8/18/2009 7:25:43 PM   
Greybriar

Oh nuts! I meant Tutorial, not Demo!

Previous post edited.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 223
RE: HOI3 - 8/18/2009 7:54:22 PM   
Arctic Blast

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

Am I the only one who actually liked the Tutorial? I thought it was amusing.

Edit: Changed wording from demo to Tutorial.

I actually did chuckle at it. My issue was that I prefer a hands on tutorial...I've always learned something much better by doing it than by just being shown a picture and told "So that's where that is."

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 224
RE: HOI3 - 8/18/2009 8:10:39 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast
I actually did chuckle at it. My issue was that I prefer a hands on tutorial...I've always learned something much better by doing it than by just being shown a picture and told "So that's where that is."

Same here. It was humorous, but did not teach me very much.

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 8/19/2009 12:10:38 AM >

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 225
RE: HOI3 - 8/18/2009 11:09:52 PM   
Widell

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro
quote:

There are some tips at PI from other users that have helped some players make the game run better. There are a couple that were sticky-ed. You need to have the game registered to see the tech pages.

The game runs fine for me, but I'm still putting it on the back burner until the patch. There are a few things that just do not seem right. No point in struggling with it if it is going to be changed in a couple of weeks.

Thanks 06. Tried most of the tips at PI without success so far, but I still have one left to try, but I need some sleep before I do that. If it works, with that last fiddling of stuff I'll be up all night.....

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 226
RE: HOI3 - 8/19/2009 12:11:49 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

Thanks 06. Tried most of the tips at PI without success so far, but I still have one left to try, but I need some sleep before I do that. If it works, with that last fiddling of stuff I'll be up all night.....

There is something else that can be tried. There is a company called IObit which has a free version of a PC utility program (Advanced System Care Free) that does a multitude of maintenance tasks. Included in that program is a link for a program called "Game Booster" (which is installed separately). It shuts down a multitude of services/programs that are not needed while gaming. I make regular use of that when I play these newer games on a 5 year old laptop-it helps. Sometimes I run it on a modern desktop too just to get rid of 30 or more junk programs that insist on running in Vista.

The only thing I know for certain is that Game Booster reduces the amount of RAM being used. Whatever it does, it helps with resource demanding games.

Good luck.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 227
RE: HOI3 - 8/19/2009 7:27:14 PM   
Widell

Thanks once more 06. Tried it, and that little app was really nice! Got rid of a lot of old crap, plus the Game Booster is a smart thing. Will use that for other games as well as it seems. However, did nothing to prevent HoI 3 from CTD'ing at the exact same spot as before. Well, I guess we should spare the Matrix board from HoI tech support and bug issues, but thanks for your support! Always appreciate fellow gamers trying to help!

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 228
RE: HOI3 - 8/19/2009 7:58:46 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

Well, I guess we should spare the Matrix board from HoI tech support and bug issues, but thanks for your support! Always appreciate fellow gamers trying to help!

Too bad it didn't help. Hopefully the 1.2 patch will get you up and running. On the bright side, you picked a free and useful utility-glad you like it.

As you no doubt know, the HoI 3 forum at Paradox is going wild. There have been additional member bans too. They are being more than understandable with the complaints, but some customers do get carried away-and a little hot under the collar. It seems like your problem of a recurring CTD at the same point could be useful to the developer, but it seems like a long shot to get the appropriate attention in a all the mayhem there now. Perhaps it is worth a try-but only in the tech forum. The main forum must be getting thousands of posts a day with a very large number of threads. Threads move several pages back in a day. There is a problem of repeat topics too. Yep, the techs forum is the best spot right now.

Hopefully, the patch will be out in 3 weeks-it keeps getting put back. I'm sure they are adding more changes/fixes. I'm confident we did not waste our money.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 229
RE: HOI3 - 8/20/2009 1:37:29 AM   
madgamer2

You should take a GOOD look at the videos and trailers and such. The HOI system was a great idea that got worse and lord knows what 4 .....and 5 etc will look like.
There was one MOD called "The Super AI Bundle that made HOI 1 a decent game if you could figure out how to deal with them pop ups and a two front war done in what they tried to tell you was "real Time".. Over all a total loss for me. I only bought the second one assuming it would improve the game.......but ah well

Madgamer

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 230
RE: HOI3 - 8/20/2009 1:40:21 AM   
madgamer2

You actually admit this in a public forum? Well its your time and money.

Madgamer

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 231
RE: HOI3 - 8/20/2009 1:51:23 AM   
madgamer2

Well so is the comet or asteroid or what ever it is that will kill us all. There will always be a game we want that is coming. When I was going over my 79 board games I sold to Noble Knight Games I came across a board game of the same name (Eagle Day) that had a plain map decent counters and was by far the best game computer or board of that invasion. I wonder who bought it from there web site? It came out in the late 70's I think. I almost kept it.

Madgamer

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 232
RE: HOI3 - 8/20/2009 2:37:12 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Well last night I was reading a decent thread at the Paradox forums when all of a sudden it locked me out of it. When I tried to return to said thread I couldn't find it. The mods had it deleted. This and the way you have to register your game to even get forum support really gets my goat. If you get banned by the whim of the mods, your out of luck because your account/game was registered and you can forget about having access to the other areas of the forum, Your game is almost useless as far as support goes.

Nothing like squashing decent debate and dissent. Reminds me of the town hall meetings where those un-Americans are trying to exercise their rights as citizens by having open discussions with their elected officials on a matter of great importance. They both have a shut up and take it mentality. I wonder when ACORN/SEIU thugs will show up at gamers houses to strong arm them into silence?

mo reb

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 8/20/2009 2:39:47 AM >

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 233
RE: HOI3 - 8/20/2009 2:41:17 AM   
LarryP

Well said MO! I wish I could elaborate but political discussion will get this shut down.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 234
RE: HOI3 - 8/20/2009 2:46:56 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

I was talking bout HOI and the eerie similarities here. Not trying to get too political. I have to say I will never buy their games again though. This is coming from someone such as yourself Larry who purchases a LOT of games. I'm sure there are many that have voters...er...I mean buyers remorse. I only hold guilt for the latter.

mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 235
RE: HOI3 - 8/20/2009 3:08:23 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

I was talking bout HOI and the eerie similarities here. Not trying to get too political. I have to say I will never buy their games again though. This is coming from someone such as yourself Larry who purchases a LOT of games. I'm sure there are many that have voters...er...I mean buyers remorse. I only hold guilt for the latter.

mo reb

It was a good comparison too. I wanted to comment on the Town Hall outbursts mainly but you said it well.

I don't understand blocking people off the board when maybe a warning post could suffice. I've seen a lot of heated posts at Paradox so they aren't blocking them all.

By the way, I've slowed way down on the game buying. Not enough good games to buy lately...

Post #: 236
RE: HOI3 - 8/20/2009 12:27:51 PM   
Hard Sarge

save some money for next month

maybe

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 237
RE: HOI3 - 8/20/2009 3:46:59 PM   
Widell

You mean Eagle Day - BTR may be out?! That would be fantastic!

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 238
RE: HOI3 - 8/20/2009 7:33:33 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Well last night I was reading a decent thread at the Paradox forums when all of a sudden it locked me out of it. When I tried to return to said thread I couldn't find it. The mods had it deleted. This and the way you have to register your game to even get forum support really gets my goat. If you get banned by the whim of the mods, your out of luck because your account/game was registered and you can forget about having access to the other areas of the forum, Your game is almost useless as far as support goes.

Nothing like squashing decent debate and dissent. Reminds me of the town hall meetings where those un-Americans are trying to exercise their rights as citizens by having open discussions with their elected officials on a matter of great importance. They both have a shut up and take it mentality. I wonder when ACORN/SEIU thugs will show up at gamers houses to strong arm them into silence?

mo reb

I got banned from a tech support forum once for pointing out that the game wouldn't run on my system at all, (even though it was completely within the system specs on the box). I couldn't believe it. The product was completely non fucntional. Not fit for purpose in any way. When I bring it up to them, looking for some help or explanation they ban me.

You can bet they lost a customer that day. They'll never get another dime from me.

Even if we never see another title come out again, there is still no excuse for issuing products that do not meet the minimum functionality and then ignoring the customers who raise the issue in their tech support forums.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 239
HOI3 - second patch - 8/26/2009 1:07:08 AM   
balto

I guess everyone read that the new (2nd) patch is due next week.

Hopefully Hard Sarge and others scope that out and gives some good feedback.

I ain't touching that until it gets a little better.., man, so many are pissed on that board.., unsure what is true and what is false.

I am just waiting around for the new Gary Grigsby WiR. I am not very smart, so I hope that is doable for me.

Thanks.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: HOI3 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI