Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Petition: Stop Fog-of-War for friendly units when playing vs AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Petition: Stop Fog-of-War for friendly units when playing vs AI Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Petition: Stop Fog-of-War for friendly units when p... - 1/17/2010 8:51:43 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: usersatch

I vote that FOW remain for the Allies. I know from personal experience, that even on a micro-scale, FOW exists. As a platoon sergeant, there were times that I THOUGHT I knew what was going on with my squads, but I was dead wrong. Eventually, it was cleared up, but combat is so dynamic that by the time you figured it out, you were on to the next FOW problem. The nature of the beast.

Amen. The god-like ability to click through every unit to see status is already far beyond the capabilities of 1940's era theatre commanders. The inaccuracy of FOW-impacted Combat Reporting may seem annoying, but that's the nature of war. No commander ever has a perfect handle on matters, and this feature partially replicates that fact. The people who are petitioning for complete accuracy - good intentioned though you are - simply don't see the bigger picture. Uncertainty and misinformation were a large part of the real war, and eliminating that would actually make the game LESS realistic.

(in reply to usersatch)
Post #: 91
RE: Petition: Stop Fog-of-War for friendly units when p... - 1/17/2010 10:37:03 AM   
Nux Mortis

I like the friendly FOW and want it to stay.
If it gets changed, please make it with a switch.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 92
RE: Petition: Stop Fog-of-War for friendly units when p... - 1/17/2010 10:48:12 AM   
JeffroK

Another vote for it to stay, after all, you can check it at the end of the turn.

Creating a bit of suspense is good value.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Nux Mortis)
Post #: 93
RE: Petition: Stop Fog-of-War for friendly units when p... - 1/17/2010 12:22:14 PM   
CV Zuikaku

quote:

ORIGINAL: Runyon

I'd like to add my vote to changing the way FOW works for friendly units. I lost three ships in the past two turns through mysterious attacks. The last one seemed so unlikely to be a FOW issue that I came to the boards to see if it is a bug. Apparently it is not.

For example, I just lost an AP that had been completely undamaged and was disbanded in a port. The port has good CAP, and is completely supplied and supported. There are other ships in the harbor including three task forces, and many troops in the base including AA with radar. Now I can accept that the port was attacked and I lost the ship to a 500 lb bomb, but at least I would expect somebody to get around to telling me that an attack was actually taking place. Somehow the enemy launched an airstrike on my port, sank the ship and none of the thousands of people there seemed to notice this until they found a big chunk of metal the next day, where there used to be a ship. Somehow I find this rather difficult to accept as a FOW issue.

I can confirm that this is not remowed in latest patch. Now, some of these attacks and hits are reported in operations reports. but some are not. The only thing that changed (at least what I have noticed) is that hits on friendly subs are now reported on map. Hits on surface ships are still not reported. We do only see a bomb icon when patrol plane bombs some ship. But no hit reports. Woul'd be a really nice thing to get on map hit report like for sub. So we know that something is burning in the TF. And reduce the click-fest needed to check every TF every turn (checking ship list is nice, but not so nice when I have 50, 80 or 150 damaged ships with high sys damage- just can not remember and track every single one of them).

(in reply to Runyon)
Post #: 94
RE: Petition: Stop Fog-of-War for friendly units when p... - 1/17/2010 1:36:38 PM   
oldman45

If a switch were added, I would support it. I like the FOW as it is.

(in reply to CV Zuikaku)
Post #: 95
RE: Petition: Stop Fog-of-War for friendly units when p... - 1/17/2010 6:19:55 PM   
Runyon

Clearly there are a lot of people that fall on both sides, so a switch seems like a good compromise. It probably comes down to whether you feel this is more a simulation or a game. Even assuming real world FOW, eventually some sort of account is available of the fighting that can be studied by commanders to learn what went wrong. What kind of plane sunk the ship? Where might it have come from? What can I do differently to guard against that happening again? I'll never know the answers to these questions based on the information I get under friendly FOW.

Some form of friendly FOW makes sense from a simulation perspective, but not so much from a game perspective. In return for spending hours ordering about troops and equipment, I expect some sort of payoff in the end, namely a combat that either helps me achieve my objectives, or sets me back in that regard. If all I get in return is a notice that a ship was sunk, I begin to question the point of my efforts. If I want to spend hours moving cargo around in ships, I'd get a job at Maersk, and at least get paid for it.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 96
RE: Petition: Stop Fog-of-War for friendly units when p... - 1/17/2010 7:42:43 PM   
Puhis

If some players want frinedly FOW, there really is no limit for it. Just don't watch combat replays, read any reports and check unit's status before assing orders. So anyone can have as much friendly FOW as he wants.

I really want to know what hit my ship and when. I don't mind do I get accurate combat reports or not. But when ships is damaged, I want to know it.

(in reply to Runyon)
Post #: 97
RE: Petition: Stop Fog-of-War for friendly units when p... - 1/17/2010 8:38:55 PM   
Central Blue

Not likely to get a switch if the present goal is stabilizing and bug-squashing.

Seems to me the game was designed by grognards for grognards, so FOW for friendlies it is for all of the reasons mentioned.

USS St. Louis firing on Guam, July 1944. The Cardinals and Browns faced each other in the World Series that year

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 98
RE: Petition: Stop Fog-of-War for friendly units when p... - 1/17/2010 8:55:58 PM   
fbs

Who says the Titanic can't be rescued? This thread has risen from the cold depths of page 20. Most extraordinary.

Cheers
fbs

< Message edited by fbs -- 1/17/2010 8:57:36 PM >

(in reply to Central Blue)
Post #: 99
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Petition: Stop Fog-of-War for friendly units when playing vs AI Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI