Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ki 43 oscar more manoverable

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Ki 43 oscar more manoverable Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ki 43 oscar more manoverable - 6/9/2002 1:40:52 PM   
tiger claw

Ki 43 oscar was infact more manoverable than the more famous zero if this could changed it would bring a smile to a vets face!!!;)
ki 43 has a hard time as it is if you made its rating say 39!. From were i sit the ki 43 was more than likely the most manoverable single wing fighter of the second world war.
Post #: 1
Re: Ki 43 oscar more manoverable - 6/11/2002 1:59:09 AM   
Von_Frag

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tiger claw
[B]Ki 43 oscar was infact more manoverable than the more famous zero if this could changed it would bring a smile to a vets face!!!;) [/B][/QUOTE]

I'll second that. Nobody had anything as agile as a KI-43. It even had butterfly combat manuever flaps to help it even more!
If any of the developers have read, or have a copy of Fire In The Sky, read the allied pilots comments on the KI-43.

I appologize, this should probably be in the main forum.

Von Frag

(in reply to tiger claw)
Post #: 2
- 6/11/2002 3:07:13 AM   
von Murrin

That would be good to have, though I doubt that they would live any longer. :D

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

(in reply to tiger claw)
Post #: 3
- 6/11/2002 3:54:07 AM   
Howard Mitchell

The Ki-43-I had a lower wing loading than the A6M2 and had a higher power-to-weight ratio, making it very maneuverable indeed. However, it was slower by around 25 mph, even more lightly built (and so fragile) and its armament was only two machine guns, the caliber depending on model. The Ki-43-II had a reduced span wing which gave it a higher wing loading (slightly greater than the A6M2s) but increased the speed somewhat.

I'm not sure speed is included in the maneuverability rating for aircraft, but if it is not then the Ki-43-I should have greater maneuverability but even less durability than the A6M2. One of the Ki-43s big advantages was that it came in some really colourful paint schemes, which makes it ideal for flight sims :)

The bible for Japanese aircraft has to be Francillon's Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War. Not sure it's still in print but it is an invaluable source.

(in reply to tiger claw)
Post #: 4
- 6/11/2002 4:06:05 AM   
dgaad

Speed is a separate rating.

Last time I checked, the forums were messed up. ;)

(in reply to tiger claw)
Post #: 5
Hayabusa - 6/12/2002 12:07:58 AM   
Von_Frag

Yep, here I go again with Fire In The Sky............... :rolleyes:

Pg 220: This is from Robert Dehaven, 5th Air Force ace.

"You'd be lucky to get one Immelman out of a Tony starting from an initional flight attitude, whereas an Oscar, it really could do a double, and I saw it happen too many times. I'm not sure a Zero, unless he had proper conditions set up, max throttle, and all out flight could do it. But I saw an Oscar do several double Immelmans, even topped by a hammerhead stall."

True, they'll still be cannon fodder, but it will it make things more interesting. :D

Von Frag

(in reply to tiger claw)
Post #: 6
- 6/12/2002 11:40:43 AM   
Rich Dionne

Thanks for the comments guys. I agree. I'll see what I can do.

Regards,

Rich

(in reply to tiger claw)
Post #: 7
- 6/12/2002 2:25:07 PM   
dgaad

Here is another hypothetical historical comment on the manuverability of the Oscar :

"I'd seen this Oscar coming alone about 2000 feet above my 2 o'clock. He started coming in obliquely, across my front, obviously intending to use his superior manuverability to scissor around to my 6 while I turned to the left. As he crossed to my direct front I opened up with my 6 forward firing 50s. Due to its gossamer construction, it disintegrated immediately. No more Oscar."

Last time I checked, the forums were messed up. ;)

(in reply to tiger claw)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Ki 43 oscar more manoverable Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI