Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: War in the East Q&A

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/15/2010 7:42:29 PM   
karonagames

You can still add a battalion-sized support unit to a regiment. Adding a Tiger battalion to a panzer grenadier regiment forms a pretty handy "fire brigade" - it may not get called a kampfgruppe, but it fulfils the role of a kampfgruppe.

It's only a Game

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 1051
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/16/2010 5:55:25 AM   
randallw

Perhaps this question has already been asked, but i've gone through this full thread just once, and that was 3 weeks ago, so I forgotten much of what's been asked.

In the few years before the war the Soviets were starting to re-organize their armor, with big mech corps mixed with regular size corps; then a few weeks into the war they tried to get rid of all the remaining big mech corps.  How is this modelled in the game?  Is the extra equipment sent to the replacement pool, with the new formations showing on the screen immedidately, or do the new formations take time?  Also, do they appear on the map in the same spot that they were?

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 1052
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/16/2010 1:02:04 PM   
Shupov

Do leaders come and go as in real campaign? Can they be killed in combat or succumb to illness as many did?

STALINADE

The real RED soda!

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 1053
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/16/2010 1:15:58 PM   
jaw

Tanks divisions convert into tank brigades and Motorized divisions convert into rifle divisions. Any combat elements not in the TOE of the tank brigades/motorized divisions are returned to the pool.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 1054
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/16/2010 2:27:16 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shupov

Do leaders come and go as in real campaign? Can they be killed in combat or succumb to illness as many did?

Each side has over 300 leaders. They do not come and go strictly at historical times. They can be killed in combat, automatically dismissed/executed by the AI (think of it as Stalin or Hitler meddling) for poor performance or promoted for good performance. Illness is not modeled.

Players can manually dismiss leaders and replace them with some limitations on what HQ they can command.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to Shupov)
Post #: 1055
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/16/2010 5:55:32 PM   
Schmart

quote:

ORIGINAL: jaw
You can breakdown a division into 3 equal parts to simulate kampfgruppen but you can't create "original" ones.

Do they only breakdown into threes, or can one select two or three parts? I found it handy in TOAW that one had the option to breakdown into two or three parts, since sometimes three made the unit too weak or one simply didn't need to cover too much area and two would sufice. Also, can one breakdown more that one level, Division->Regiments->Battalions?

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 1056
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/16/2010 6:55:28 PM   
Capt Cliff

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigAnorak

You can still add a battalion-sized support unit to a regiment. Adding a Tiger battalion to a panzer grenadier regiment forms a pretty handy "fire brigade" - it may not get called a kampfgruppe, but it fulfils the role of a kampfgruppe.

This is a good question ... be nice to be able to rename this regiment to say Kamphgruppe Meyer or what ever the regiment leader name is, and that when you detach the ancillary battalions the regiment number/name goes back to it's default name. Sure would add spice to the game for the German player.

< Message edited by Capt Cliff -- 9/22/2010 6:46:41 PM >

Capt. Cliff

Post #: 1057
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/16/2010 7:36:06 PM   
PyleDriver

The division breaks down into 3 equal regiments in the same hex. There are 3 draw backs. First, the divison needs to be in a vacant hex (stacking limits). Second, the regiments next turn may have differnt MP's and when recombined the MP is the lowest of the 3. Third, units under division level don't excert a ZOC when moving, however they do on defence...In this (ss) the Das Reich SS was broken down. I have 3 attached units to the division, so when broken down each of the three recieved one battalion in full...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by PyleDriver -- 9/16/2010 7:40:13 PM >

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 1058
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/20/2010 1:38:15 PM   
cardolan

Hi everybody

Been a luker for a long time. This game convinced me to register in the forums. It looks terrific!

In PyleDriver`s last AAR I discovered something I never saw in previous screenshots.

What is the strange symbol over the rounded ID?

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 1059
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/20/2010 1:47:37 PM   
karonagames

It indicates that it is entrained and using strategic movement via rail.

(in reply to cardolan)
Post #: 1060
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/21/2010 6:28:30 PM   
lbadal99

From previous questions about small battalion units that are typically found at HQ level - are the German Heavy Artillery Units modeled in WiTE?  Specifically the heavy Mortar units that fired the 54cm/60cm mortars and the massive 80cm (Dora/Gustav gun used at Sevastopol.  I understand these are not game changers, but they should have impacts on sieges such as Sevastopol, Leningrad, etc..... 

Also what about rail artillery - the germans had their own heavy artillery rail units plus a number of french guns captured from the french campaign that they used against Leningrad - are any of these modelled as units in the game.

My point is that when you get into siege situations in this game can yopu bring up the siege artillery train to blow down the fortifications?

Post #: 1061
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/21/2010 9:18:23 PM   
jaw

The Gustav is not in the game; the Karl siege mortar is. There are various calibers of heavy artillery ranging from 170mm up to 600mm but every possible gun that could have been available is not modelled.

(in reply to lbadal99)
Post #: 1062
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/21/2010 9:21:30 PM   
jaw

I should add that getting the heavy artillery in the right place at the right time is not easy and usually not worth the time. At this scale these guns are nice to have but hardly decisive and probably barely noticeable.

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 1063
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/22/2010 6:38:59 AM   
lbadal99

JAW, many thanks agree that it is petty at this scale - but would you expect anything less from a grognard?  Thanks for answering. 

Another question I posted on a different form and PyleDriver told me to send it to you - on the tabs in the toolbar screen shots, I see an aircraft tab with a parachute - is that for dropping supplies, dropping paratroopers or both?  If you can drop paratroopers, do you need to entrain a parachute division to a HQ unit that has the planes?  I see this valuable if you wanted to capture a key crossing or rail junction by surprise - understand in Russia that paratroopers were not real effective in their trained role, but pretty effective as elite infantry at least in 41/42 - so just a question regarding operations capability of the game.

It seemed the the Russians actually tried a bunch of small to brigade level jumps but they typically ended in disaster appreciate you taking time to answer.     

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 1064
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/22/2010 1:09:26 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: lbadal99

JAW, many thanks agree that it is petty at this scale - but would you expect anything less from a grognard?  Thanks for answering. 

Another question I posted on a different form and PyleDriver told me to send it to you - on the tabs in the toolbar screen shots, I see an aircraft tab with a parachute - is that for dropping supplies, dropping paratroopers or both?  If you can drop paratroopers, do you need to entrain a parachute division to a HQ unit that has the planes?  I see this valuable if you wanted to capture a key crossing or rail junction by surprise - understand in Russia that paratroopers were not real effective in their trained role, but pretty effective as elite infantry at least in 41/42 - so just a question regarding operations capability of the game.

It seemed the the Russians actually tried a bunch of small to brigade level jumps but they typically ended in disaster appreciate you taking time to answer.     

I saw your question but didn't answer it because Jon (PyleDriver) gets very upset when people hijack his AAR for game questions/answers. I'm glad to answer it here.

Yes, the button is used both for air supply drops and air transport but there are special rules/restrictions for transporting units by air and for making actual air assaults. To conduct either air transport or air assault the unit must be stacked with the air base whose planes will be conducting the transport/assault. For the Germans, the air assault capability only exists briefly when their only air assault capable unit (7th Flieger Division) is on the Eastern Front. They can transport other non-motorized units by air anytime they want but its not usually worth the effort. By contrast the Soviets have lots of airborne brigades throughout the War but attempting air assault while the Germans have air superiority can be suicidal.

I, personally, have never attempted an airborne assault because it is so difficult to get all the necessary units together at the right time to do one and the potential payoff never seems to be worth the effort to try. Like my historical counterparts, I tend to just use the airborne units as elite infantry.

(in reply to lbadal99)
Post #: 1065
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/22/2010 1:39:30 PM   
PyleDriver

I will add that air dropping supplies is the main use with the tab. As you pull further from railheads its very importiant to remember to supply by air our you can be looking at PzD's with less than 10 MP's the next turn...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 1066
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/23/2010 12:53:32 AM   
notenome

Hey, so game is looking great and all that, glad y'all in beta.

One question: In TOAW, when one unit tried to disengage from an enemy stack (move away from), there was a chance that the unit would get engaged, sometimes even evaporate. I know there's a movement cost penalty, but is there something else as well in WiTE?

For example, if a soviet division was almost sorrounded by german divs

x x
xSx
xxx

as long as that div had movement points, would it be guaranteed to make it out?

Post #: 1067
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/23/2010 1:40:03 AM   
Joel Billings

Yes, pays more MPs, but there is no opportunity fire (except from air units which may launch an interdiction mission and bomb the moving unit). Also, units can always move 1 hex no matter the MP cost.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 1068
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/28/2010 2:02:22 AM   
Naughteous Maximus

This is looking to be an awesome game! Now for the question! I was wondering in regards to the editor if you can make multiple changes through out game play, ie. adding new divisions, air units or creating hypothical situations?

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 1069
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/30/2010 6:46:16 AM   
lbadal99

This question is for JAW as a follow-up regarding airborne drops.  You indicated that the germans could only use the 7th Fleiger Div for airdrops in the game - why couldn't you use 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Parachute also?  I know 1st Parachute could have historically jumped through at least 42 - is it possible to have the game updated in case you want bto do something audacious? 

Thanks len

(in reply to Naughteous Maximus)
Post #: 1070
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/30/2010 12:42:19 PM   
jaw

In the game the Fallschirmjager, with the exception of a kampfgruppe of the 2nd, are configured for ground combat only and cannot be used for air assault. With the editor you can do all kinds of things that did not happen in reality.

(in reply to lbadal99)
Post #: 1071
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/30/2010 7:24:05 PM   
Schmart

In some screenshots I sometimes see a german unit or two who's background colour is half black half grey. What does this signify?

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 1072
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/30/2010 7:43:45 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schmart

In some screenshots I sometimes see a german unit or two who's background colour is half black half grey. What does this signify?

Non-elite SS units.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 1073
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/30/2010 9:51:35 PM   
Eambar

A couple of questions on elite status:

What are the advantages of an elite unit?

Can elite status be earned, or is the status pre-programmed?

Are there non-SS elite units (such as Großdeutschland) on the Axis side?

Are all Soviet Guard units elite, and are there any elite Soviet non-Guard units ?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these and all questions, the game is looking awesome!

Cheers

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 1074
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/1/2010 2:39:05 AM   
jomni

Can production be ignored and keep automated and still win the game as either German or Soviet?
I didn't like the detailed production aspect of Japan in WITP:AE and also Germany in Bombing of the Reich.
It gives me the idea that I if don't tweek it, I don't have a chance of winning or at least get historical results.

(in reply to Eambar)
Post #: 1075
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/1/2010 8:03:20 AM   
randallw

This is partly a generic question about big strategic wargames in general.

In OPART, waypoints are a big, even important thing; without them, computer controlled units are sort of without orders on where to go.  I suppose WitE has this built in?  And games like this pretty much demand it, in some form?

Now, if there are waypoints, will the computer send it's units along the way even if most of formation has been destroyed, making the current ones liable to be smashed?

In OPART you could load a scenario in the editor, see the waypoints, then play the computer, kind of knowing where it's trying to go.  I suppose this kind of 'cheating' is unavailable here, with no editor to pook around in?

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 1076
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/1/2010 10:03:12 AM   
paullus99

I don't believe production can be changed in WiTE - you play with what was historically available (unless you change things in the editor).

There is an editor - but I'm sure the AI subroutines can't be altered.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 1077
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/1/2010 11:40:52 AM   
traubi

oh boy i dont got the time to read all of these.
just one simple question:
how much hex a unit can move in one turn? in wir it was 5/2 but there were much bigger hexes.
thx!

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 1078
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/1/2010 12:50:59 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie3

A couple of questions on elite status:

What are the advantages of an elite unit?

Can elite status be earned, or is the status pre-programmed?

Are there non-SS elite units (such as Großdeutschland) on the Axis side?

Are all Soviet Guard units elite, and are there any elite Soviet non-Guard units ?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these and all questions, the game is looking awesome!

Cheers

Axis elite units get a 15 point bonus in national morale, Soviet units a 10 point bonus.

Axis elite units come that way, Soviet elite status (Guards units) is earned in battle.

Yes, there are both SS and non-SS elite units.

Normally elite Soviet units are guards units but Soviet Ski units receive a special morale bonus so they are sort of elite even if not guards. Some Soviet units begin the game with higher than normal morale (NKVD, airborne) but are not technically elite (i.e their morale will drop when they take casualties and receive replacements).

(in reply to Eambar)
Post #: 1079
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/1/2010 12:54:34 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

Can production be ignored and keep automated and still win the game as either German or Soviet?
I didn't like the detailed production aspect of Japan in WITP:AE and also Germany in Bombing of the Reich.
It gives me the idea that I if don't tweek it, I don't have a chance of winning or at least get historical results.

All production is automated in WitE. You can only change production (and then AFVs and aircraft only) using the editor and you cannot make those changes to an on-going game (e.g you can't switch all tank production to Panthers in the course of a scenario).

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 1080
Page:   <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI